PDA

View Full Version : Petrova Tops Power Index In Toronto; Shvedova Leads Cumulative

Forehand_Volley
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:14 AM
http://www.tennis-x.com/story/2007-08-20/n.php

Petrova Heads Power Index at WTA Toronto

Posted on August 20, 2007

The Sony Ericsson WTA Tour recently launched a new statistic, entitled the “Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Power Index.” This statistic represents a totaled analysis of a player’s fastest shots during a match including: first and second serves, groundstroke (forehand or backhand), first and second-serve returns and smash/volley. The final Power Index “score” is an average of all six individual statistics.

Venus Williams topped the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Power Index after Week One at the Acura Classic in San Diego with 98.8 mph. Yaroslava Shvedova holds the record after three weeks, recording 102.9 mph to top the charts at the East West Bank Classic in Los Angeles. Following the Rogers Cup in Toronto, Nadia Petrova recorded the highest Power Index for the week at 93.3 mph. Each player’s Power Index reflects their personal best for the week (and cumulative below), reflecting the highest recorded Power Index per match and only recording matches on center court.

Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Power Index Leaders – Rogers Cup presented by American Express:

Rogers Cup Winner: Justine Henin

1. Nadia Petrova – 93.3 mph
2. Ana Ivanovic – 93.0 mph
3. Tatiana Golovin – 92.3 mph
4. Shahar Peer – 91.6 mph
5. Michaella Krajicek – 91.6 mph

Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Power Index Leaders – Cumulative after three events:

1. Yaroslava Shvedova – 102.9 mph
2. Venus Williams – 98.8 mph
3. Maria Kirilenko – 98.7 mph
4. Nadia Petrova – 97.4 mph
5. Elena Dementieva – 95.8 mph

Here's the top ten from the Sony Ericsson Website:

Rogers Cup presented by American Express
Toronto, Canada
August 13 - August 19, 2007

1 Nadia Petrova (RUS) 93.3 MPH
2 Ana Ivanovic (SRB) 93.0 MPH
3 Tatiana Golovin (FRA) 92.3 MPH
4 Shahar Peer (ISR) 91.6 MPH
5 Michaella Krajicek (NED) 91.6 MPH
6 Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) 91.0 MPH
7 Kirilenko, Maria (RUS) 89.23 MPH
8 Dinara Safina (RUS) 89.23 MPH
9 Sybille Bammer (AUT) 89.20 MPH
10 Anabel Medina-Garrigues (ESP) 88.9 MPH

Sony Ericsson WTA Tour Power Index Leaders - Cumulative after three events:

1 Shvedova, Yaroslava (RUS) 102.9 MPH
2 Williams, Venus (USA) 98.8 MPH
3 Kirilenko, Maria (RUS) 98.7 MPH
4 Petrova, Nadia (RUS) 97.4 MPH
5 Dementieva, Elena (RUS) 95.8 MPH
6 Tamarine Tanasugarn (THA) 95.4 MPH
7 Meghann Shaughnessy (USA) 94.8 MPH
8 Victoria Azarenka (BLR) 93.9 MPH
9 Sania Mirza (IND) 93.8 MPH
10 Peng Shuai (CHN) 93.3 MPH

payaSo
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:30 AM
I still cannot believe little Masha is on that list. :)

Pasta-Na
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:40 AM
shuai peng :haha:

njnetswill
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:46 AM
AMG? :unsure:

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:48 AM
:weirdo: This method is so silly, someone needs to create a more effective way of calculating this. Peer, AMG, Bammer, Kirilenko, Tanasugarn??? :scratch:

At least a few of the names belong there. :o

cellophane
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:54 AM
AMG? :unsure:

The Bionic Woman?

Forehand_Volley
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:58 AM
:weirdo: This method is so silly, someone needs to create a more effective way of calculating this. Peer, AMG, Bammer, Kirilenko, Tanasugarn??? :scratch:

At least a few of the names belong there. :o
The power index has only existed for the past three tournaments. The top ten should begin shifting after completion of the US Open and throughout the fall.

The methodology isn't silly. Not everyone in the WTA has been playing enough times for the list to begin settling.

cellophane
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:03 AM
The power index has only existed for the past three tournaments. The top ten should begin shifting after completion of the US Open and throughout the fall.

How are Peer and Golovin ahead of someone like Kuznetsova?

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:06 AM

The methodology isn't silly. Not everyone in the WTA has been playing enough times for the list to begin settling.
How is this an effective method? There's no averages over the course of the match whatsoever, just calculations of the players single hardest shots (which includes second serve, volley, and smash :weirdo: ). It's retarded, flat out, if you ask me. A player like Kirilenko, for example, can hit one, maybe two HUGE shots in match, and she'd place high in the standings just because of that. It just doesnt tell the whole story.

Forehand_Volley
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:50 AM
How is this an effective method? There's no averages over the course of the match whatsoever, just calculations of the players single hardest shots (which includes second serve, volley, and smash :weirdo: ). It's retarded, flat out, if you ask me. A player like Kirilenko, for example, can hit one, maybe two HUGE shots in match, and she'd place high in the standings just because of that. It just doesnt tell the whole story.
As long as everyone is judged by the same criteria, I'm okay with it. Its fair.

However, the power index isn't an indicator of who is the best player and I think sends a mixed message. You could probably corrolate the top ten of the power index with the top ten injured tennis players over the period of a year.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:12 AM
As long as everyone is judged by the same criteria, I'm okay with it. Its fair.
Sure, it's fair in the sense that everyone is being judged the same way. Still a stupid method of judgment though, in my opinion. Doesnt truly reflect who the hardest ballstrikers are. You just need to look at the results to see that. Sure there are a couple of massive hitters that made the list (Venus, Ivanovic, Mirza to name a few) but there's too many names there that just don't make sense when it comes to CONSISTENTLY hitting hard.

*Jean*
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:17 AM
What does Shvedova do here ? :lol:

Forehand_Volley
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:24 AM
How are Peer and Golovin ahead of someone like Kuznetsova?
I didn't invent the technology or methodology for the power index. That's a question for the WTA Sony Ericsson.

I would suspect the power index results will follow in the same manner the individual ratings by surface that was provided by WTA in years past. Anyone who has seen that list is very well-aware of what I am talking about. Its not an accurate assessment of who is best on each surface. For example, someone could win the Australian and US open and have a lower winning percentage on hardcourts for the year and be rated below a player who was undefeated in 4 hardcourt matches for the year.

I think the power index will go the same way as the ratings by surface has...insignificant.

DomenicDemaria
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:34 AM
Sure, it's fair in the sense that everyone is being judged the same way. Still a stupid method of judgment though, in my opinion. Doesnt truly reflect who the hardest ballstrikers are. You just need to look at the results to see that. Sure there are a couple of massive hitters that made the list (Venus, Ivanovic, Mirza to name a few) but there's too many names there that just don't make sense when it comes to CONSISTENTLY hitting hard.

I agree. But I think they should have two. One which shows the hardest hit shot while another which shows an average of the players shots.