PDA

View Full Version : is serena less likely to play given the draw?

lloyders76
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:46 PM
i don't mean to say she is intimidated by justine

if she is not fully recovered from her injuries will the prospect of a possible 3rd consecutive defeat in a GS QF to her main rival mean she'd rather not play?

danieln1
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:53 PM
hahahhahahhaha i guess not, she says that she´s intimidated by no one...

Foxy
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:57 PM
I don't think Serena will play because her thumb is not fully healed. If she does, it's gonna surprise me.

sfselesfan
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:58 PM
I think it makes her more likely to play. A greater opportunity to avenge the loss. It's not like Justine is in the best of shape either with her shoulder problems and questionable serve.

SF

Tennisstar86
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:01 AM
I don't think Serena will play because her thumb is not fully healed. If she does, it's gonna surprise me.

I think her thumb is fine... I think she just used it because she didnt want to play pilot pin the week before the US....

If can can hit a two handed backhand... she'll play. if she cant she prolly wont...

Mikey B
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:02 AM
doubt it.. if anything this will motivate her even more to try and win it!!!

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:08 AM
wish for her health and for all players

mdterp01
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:28 AM
If Serena doesn't play it has NOTHING to do with Justine. Thats truly laughable that the best female player of this generation would think about withdrawing for reasons such as that. If she withdraws she will not be thinking about the girl from Belgium.

frontier
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:53 AM
Serena would not be that cowardly otherwise she wont have played that qf at Wimbledon.She will give it a try I see her surprising folks at the Open.

Sund7101
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:00 AM
Hell no!!!!

She's probably damn happy actually. This is great for her and if she plays--she WILL avenge the two losses at the French and Wimby.

CoolDude7
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:01 AM
Lol, knowing Serena she will play with a bad thumb just because she wants to give justine the smackdown!

RJWCapriati
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:06 AM
I think after all these weeks she is ready to go and compete......the thumb injury is healed.

goldenslam888
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:06 AM
If Serena doesn't play it has NOTHING to do with Justine. Thats truly laughable that the best female player of this generation would think about withdrawing for reasons such as that. If she withdraws she will not be thinking about the girl from Belgium.

could it be serena is going to lose to "the girl from belgium" for a 3rd time in a grand slam, this year, and on three different surfaces? at some point its time to put up or shut up, and to quit living in 2002.

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:08 AM
Serena isn't scared of Justine on a hard court.

If this was the French Open and Serena did not play once on the clay that year, I might consider that she might pull out just because playing in an event like that against a top player would probably lead to an injury that could effect her play at Wimbledon.

Serena is actually probably happy about this draw.
She has an easy route to the quarters.
She should be refreshed enough to have enough to take out Justine in what will probably be a night match.

goldlion
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:19 AM

Make it one of the best. ;)

Donny
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:21 AM
Make it one of the best. ;)

Until another player magaes to win all four majors in a row, then she is indeed the best.

Craigy
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:25 AM
goldenslam588. :rolls:

mdterp01
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:26 AM
could it be serena is going to lose to "the girl from belgium" for a 3rd time in a grand slam, this year, and on three different surfaces? at some point its time to put up or shut up, and to quit living in 2002.

And what exactly does that have to do with the thread topic? :rolleyes:

starin
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:29 AM
If Serena feels unprepared or feels that she can't compete at her best from the first round then she will withdraw. We saw at Wimbledon that she'll fight like crazy once she's already dug into a tournament, even if she is injured. But I do think she withdraws sometimes cuz she's feels either physically not ready or her game is not ready.

daniel122292
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:37 AM
No Serena is one of the most competitve and hungry player in any sport.

Forehand_Volley
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:47 AM
If Serena doesn't play its because she's injured and doesn't want to risk permanent injury.

There would be three signs of an impending withdrawal:

1. No statements to the press of her chances at the upcoming Open within a week of the start of the tournament.

2. Absence from the 2007 Arthur Ashe's Kids Day before the US Open begins.

3. Absence from the opening night celebration "Breaking Barriers" of Althea Gibson's 50th Anniversary Win at the US Open.

Simplicity.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:15 AM
No Serena is one of the most competitve and hungry player in any sport.

Heh

faboozadoo15
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:43 AM
She actually has a soft draw till the quarters. She'll play herself into shape (or she'll think she will). I think she really wants to avenge the losses to Justine. Justine will probably play not to lose, and Serena will play to win, creating a dramatic match.

After all these players get through and go through to be where they are, they don't pull out of events because of a difficult draw. Players who have won majors and have been to #1 are usually incredibly focused, driven, ego maniacal athletes. I can't imagine Serena pulling out because of a tennis match 5 rounds down the road.

eugreene2
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:01 AM
The girl from Compton wont be scared & you can believe that. Serena is a true sistah & this type of stuff don't scare them.