PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova is now free to play Olympics...even if she doesn't play Fed Cup

spiceboy
Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:43 PM
Should any elegible singles players be denied the opportunity to play by their National Olympic Committee, the ITF shall compensate the player according to her ranking. The ITF and the president of the OIC each have pledged to use best efforts to assure eligible players are nominated.

The ITF and WTA agreement came to effect shortly before last July Fed Cup ties :angel:

jonny84
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:35 PM
I suppose its beneficial for Russia if Sharapova plays, as she is their best chance of a medal.

bellascarlett
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:52 PM
Tarpi is not crazy enough anyway to not let Maria lead the Russian line-up.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:12 PM
she will play and take the gold medal http://www.asmilies.com/smiliespic/psmilie/012.gif (http://www.asmilies.com)

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:22 PM
I suppose its beneficial for Russia if Sharapova plays, as she is their best chance of a medal.

exactly so if they dont pick her to win they are only hurting themselves. the mentally tough duo or petrova and kuznetsova certainly wont be bringing home any medal and who wants to see chakvetadze cry after disappointing he country.

~Carsten~
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:25 PM
well I never thought she would miss the olympics!

DutchieGirl
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:14 PM
pfft... that's the biggest load of crap for all the other players who did it by the rules, and now they go and change it! :(

Viktymise
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:16 PM
:o Typical bullshit, The olympics is about representing your country 1st and foremost and letting someone who has never played for their country, play in the event is beyond :weirdo:

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:28 PM
Its should still be on the countries prerogative whom they want to send because a player is representing their country and not themselves.

hablo
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:30 PM
Link please?

ZAK
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:30 PM
Is this really new? Because I'm remember the ITF stepping in in 2004 to have Testud play instead of Golovn, who was chosen at first.

venus_rulez
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:31 PM
Too bad they can't schedule the Olympics during one of the normal weeks of Fed Cup. It would be amazing how many players who are never free during that time, would suddenly have their slate clear to play the Olympics.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
Who thought Maria was ever going to play for Russia? Her game her, life, and her money come from the United States. As one of her "countrymen" said "She's a passport Russian"

Go get em Maria!