PDA

View Full Version : McEnroe: Sharapova Couldn't Have Hoped For A More Appealing Draw

Marcell
Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:33 PM
Federer, Roddick could meet; Henin could face both Venus, Serena
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Roger Federer and Andy Roddick, last year's U.S. Open finalists, could meet earlier in this year's final Grand Slam of the season with a potential quarterfinal match looming.

On the women's side, top-seeded Justine Henin found herself on the side of the bracket with both Williams sisters when the draw was announced Wednesday.

As Federer attempts to become the first man in the Open era to win four consecutive U.S. Open titles, the No. 1 seed could face the top two Americans in the field. Fifth-seeded Roddick and No. 6 seed James Blake are in Federer's half of the bracket.

Federer and Roddick have combined to win the last four Opens, with Roddick taking the 2003 title. Federer won in four sets in last year's final.

"It's probably a lot earlier than either one of them would've hoped," former U.S. Open champion and television analyst Patrick McEnroe said.

The women's defending champ, Maria Sharapova, couldn't have hoped for a much more appealing draw, McEnroe said. Of the six players he would have picked to have a strong chance of winning, all but the second-seeded Sharapova landed on one half of the bracket. Jelena Jankovic, the No. 3 seed, and fifth-seeded Ana Ivanovic join Henin and the Williams sister on a side loaded with big hitters.

Henin, the 2003 champ and last year's runner-up, could face two-time Open winner Serena Williams in the quarterfinals. The eighth-seeded Williams, the surprise Australian Open champ, has been sidelined by a thumb injury since Wimbledon.

"After Australia, she made a huge believer out of me that she doesn't need matches to win majors," analyst Mary Joe Fernandez said.

Two-time Open champ Venus Williams, coming off her comeback victory at Wimbledon, is seeded 12th and could have to go through Ivanovic and Jankovic to reach the semis, which is where she would play her sister if they met.

"The big question is whoever gets out of that side of the draw, will they be worn out?" McEnroe said. "I think it's a great opportunity for Sharapova. She doesn't have to go through the toughest players in my opinion to get to the final."

The Open could offer a breakthrough for third-seeded Novak Djokovic, the 20-year-old Serb who beat Rafael Nadal and Federer in Montreal earlier this month. Djokovic and the second-seeded Nadal are on the same side of the bracket and could meet in the semifinals.

"He's got pressure on him for the first time," McEnroe said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

shap_half
Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:35 PM
Well that is the big question.

simba
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:18 PM
i just don't understand this.

Serenita
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:10 PM
it's always the same crap, awell the draw sucks, hopefully she won't get to far.

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:13 PM
if she serves the way she has in some of her recent matches or has some more of those forehand lapse she could go down to vaidisova or kuznetsova so i would call her lock for the finals although im hoping she will be.

the only way nadal beats djokovic on a really fast hardcoirt like this is if he worn out by the time he gets to the semis considering djokovic has a tough draw and nadal has a cakewalk. nadal only plays well on slow hardcourts like indian wells and miami

Bijoux0021
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
How long is Sharapova going to keep having these appealing draws is the big question.

faboozadoo15
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:28 PM
Sharapova has never won a major with an easy draw. Each of the times she's won, she had to beat the top 2 players in succession.

Granted, there's no denying I like her draw ;)

But who can take Vaidisova in 4R for granted? Does anyone even know how she'll be playing?

Tennisstar86
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:35 PM
yeah... sharapova got another walkthrough draw...surprise surprise... Also interesting is Kuznetsova got another easy go round like she did at wimbledon.....

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:39 PM
Sharapova has never won a major with an easy draw. Each of the times she's won, she had to beat the top 2 players in succession.

Granted, there's no denying I like her draw ;)

But who can take Vaidisova in 4R for granted? Does anyone even know how she'll be playing?

i agree that sharapova has never won a major without an easy draw, but beating 2 top players in succession is nothing special.

people are saying she has had an easy draw to get to the finals/semifinals (not necessarily win) for most GS that she has been in. but some of that has to do with her seeding.

mykarma
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:42 PM
Federer, Roddick could meet; Henin could face both Venus, Serena
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Roger Federer and Andy Roddick, last year's U.S. Open finalists, could meet earlier in this year's final Grand Slam of the season with a potential quarterfinal match looming.

On the women's side, top-seeded Justine Henin found herself on the side of the bracket with both Williams sisters when the draw was announced Wednesday.

As Federer attempts to become the first man in the Open era to win four consecutive U.S. Open titles, the No. 1 seed could face the top two Americans in the field. Fifth-seeded Roddick and No. 6 seed James Blake are in Federer's half of the bracket.

Federer and Roddick have combined to win the last four Opens, with Roddick taking the 2003 title. Federer won in four sets in last year's final.

"It's probably a lot earlier than either one of them would've hoped," former U.S. Open champion and television analyst Patrick McEnroe said.

The women's defending champ, Maria Sharapova, couldn't have hoped for a much more appealing draw, McEnroe said. Of the six players he would have picked to have a strong chance of winning, all but the second-seeded Sharapova landed on one half of the bracket. Jelena Jankovic, the No. 3 seed, and fifth-seeded Ana Ivanovic join Henin and the Williams sister on a side loaded with big hitters.

Henin, the 2003 champ and last year's runner-up, could face two-time Open winner Serena Williams in the quarterfinals. The eighth-seeded Williams, the surprise Australian Open champ, has been sidelined by a thumb injury since Wimbledon.

"After Australia, she made a huge believer out of me that she doesn't need matches to win majors," analyst Mary Joe Fernandez said.

Two-time Open champ Venus Williams, coming off her comeback victory at Wimbledon, is seeded 12th and could have to go through Ivanovic and Jankovic to reach the semis, which is where she would play her sister if they met.

"The big question is whoever gets out of that side of the draw, will they be worn out?" McEnroe said. "I think it's a great opportunity for Sharapova. She doesn't have to go through the toughest players in my opinion to get to the final."

The Open could offer a breakthrough for third-seeded Novak Djokovic, the 20-year-old Serb who beat Rafael Nadal and Federer in Montreal earlier this month. Djokovic and the second-seeded Nadal are on the same side of the bracket and could meet in the semifinals.

"He's got pressure on him for the first time," McEnroe said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
DAMN

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:44 PM

i can only agree with this!

based off current results... these 6 are the only true contenders
1. Justine
2. Serena
3. Maria
4. Venus
5. Ana
6. Jelena
///big break///

but now with the draw out, this is a good opportunity for those like Hingis, Hantuchova, Vaidisova, Petrova, Kuznetsova, Schnyder, and Chakvetadze to get to the Semis/Finals.

delicatecutter
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:46 PM
If Vaidisova's recent upgrade didn't take.. I mean if she's not fully recovered from her "glandular fever" who even knows what shape she'll be in? I can't believe I'm writing this but I will fully be cheering for Nicole to beat Sharapova. Maria is like a plague and must be stopped!!

Yonexforever
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:48 PM
OH SHEEEET... WHO DID THEY HAVE PULL NAMES OUT OF THE HAT?
EFFIN YURIY?(sp)

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:55 PM
not so easy she is 2 with 4 and 6
1 with 3 and 5 and 8
that's because she's rank 2
and Kuznetsova and Vadisova are hard
vamos Masha

DA FOREHAND
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:59 PM
i can only agree with this!

based off current results... these 6 are the only true contenders
1. Justine
2. Serena
3. Maria
4. Venus
5. Ana
6. Jelena
///big break///

but now with the draw out, this is a good opportunity for those like Hingis, Hantuchova, Vaidisova, Petrova, Kuznetsova, Schnyder, and Chakvetadze to get to the Semis/Finals.

Maria has to save the day and come thru this tough draw to make the finals otherwise it could be another snore fest.

AcesHigh
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Maria has to save the day and come thru this tough draw to make the finals otherwise it could be another snore fest.

If Serena or Venus come through, it'll still be a snorefest if it's against Maria.

My dream final? Venus vs. Hingis :drool:

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:17 PM

nah. i think Hingis, Hantuchova, Vaidisova, Petrova, Kuznetsova, Schnyder, or Chakvetadze could make a good enough final as maria could.

moon
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:36 PM
nah. i think Hingis, Hantuchova, Vaidisova, Petrova, Kuznetsova, Schnyder, or Chakvetadze could make a good enough final as maria could.

Neither Petrova or Kuzy will make a good finalist, especially if it's Justine on the other side. They will both role over like lapdogs. It will take Petrova longer to roll over, probably at the end of the each of set. Kuzy will be in a tizzy from the first game if she has to play Justine.

!<blocparty>!
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
If she doesn't make the final i'd be very, very surprised.

K-Dog
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:59 PM
Former US Champion Patrick McEnroe. :lol::lol::lol: When was this?

K-Dog
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:03 PM
Maria will not win the USO, so it doesn't matter if she makes the finals and gets crushed again. People have their heads SO far up her ass that they can't see the reason why she gets through her draws. At Wimbledon, she had to play Venus in the 4th round and got crushed. At RG, she played Ivanovic and got crushed. At the AO, she played Serena and got crushed. In Miami, she played Serena and got crushed. I mean the list is endless. Unless all the top players play like shit, she's no match for them. She plays one top player and they are too much for her. Her game is one-dimensional and really predictable. Plus, she doesn't hit harder than the other girls. She can't when her footwork is as bad as it is. She has no time to set up.

lindsayno1
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
uuuuugh what a joke

faboozadoo15
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:21 PM
Maria will not win the USO, so it doesn't matter if she makes the finals and gets crushed again. People have their heads SO far up her ass that they can't see the reason why she gets through her draws. At Wimbledon, she had to play Venus in the 4th round and got crushed. At RG, she played Ivanovic and got crushed. At the AO, she played Serena and got crushed. In Miami, she played Serena and got crushed. I mean the list is endless. Unless all the top players play like shit, she's no match for them. She plays one top player and they are too much for her. Her game is one-dimensional and really predictable. Plus, she doesn't hit harder than the other girls. She can't when her footwork is as bad as it is. She has no time to set up.

:tape: you do realize Maria has had to beat a few top players just to get into the positions she's been in this year, correct? She had to beat the heat and Clijsters in Australia, Venus in Miami, CHakvetadze and Schnyder (who was having a terrific clay season) at RG, Patty and Anna again to win San Diego. She also had to play FOUR matches in 30 some hours and lost 7-5 in the third set to Jankovic at Eastbourne.

K-Dog
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:30 PM
:tape: you do realize Maria has had to beat a few top players just to get into the positions she's been in this year, correct? She had to beat the heat and Clijsters in Australia, Venus in Miami, CHakvetadze and Schnyder (who was having a terrific clay season) at RG, Patty and Anna again to win San Diego. She also had to play FOUR matches in 30 some hours and lost 7-5 in the third set to Jankovic at Eastbourne.

Because the heat is an excuse. Maybe if she wasn't struggling with soft ball hitter Camille Pin, she wouldn't had have a problem. Anna C. and Patty S. are SO proven in majors. The 1 semi between them is just the most impressive feat ever in tennis. They've done SO well!!! NOT!!!!!!!!! Was I talking about San Diego or Birmingham (because Maria didn't play Eastbourne and neither did Jelena)? And guess what, other players had to deal with backed-up matches, not just Maria.

I'm in a bad mood, hence the arguementativeness.

moon
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:34 PM
OH SHEEEET... WHO DID THEY HAVE PULL NAMES OUT OF THE HAT?
EFFIN YURIY?(sp)

:lol:
He might as well have.

K-Dog
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:40 PM
:lol:
He might as well have.

No, Patrick McEnroe. But usually it's either Yuri or Toni Nadal.

40-0
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:59 PM
well serena is injured... so i hope for a venus vs justine semi really

Serenidad.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:11 AM
We all know the winner will be of the top half. I think having an easy draw can HURT you at times. Whoever gets to the final is obviously going to have played high quality tennis for like 4 matches in a row. Grand Slam winners know how to win 7 matches, I don't think fitness will be a big problem. Maybe, just giving Sharapova a little edge. That edge is quickly neutralized by the fact that the top half will be well-grooved.

Dan23
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:18 AM
:o the list actually stops right there....while being "crushed" so badly shes made it through to her best results at the AO and RG and all the while without one of her most lethal weapons.

Donny
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
:o the list actually stops right there....while being "crushed" so badly shes made it through to her best results at the AO and RG and all the while without one of her most lethal weapons.

See, this is where the draw factors in. Maria has gotten good results by avoiding the people who have been giving her beatdowns this year.

What would have happened had Maria gotten Serena in the first round of the AO? It might very well have been a first round loss.

Or what about the French? Ivanovic was #5 at the time, right? She could have met Sharapova i nthe quarters. That might have ended in the same type of lopsided score.

Or Venus at Wimbledon. She could acttually have met Sharapova a round earlier than she did. Had the draws went a different way, she might well have.

Of course, we'll never know how those matches would've turned out. But I doubt she'd have the same results at GS that she has had.

Matt01
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:31 AM
We all know the winner will be of the top half.

Only speak for yourself :p

bellascarlett
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:32 AM

:lol: Exaggerate much? Endless? That's pretty much it! :lol:

Maria making people desperate and pissed...:bounce:

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:33 AM
vamos Masha http://smiles.al-wed.com/smiles/62/russiaC.gif