PDA

View Full Version : OMG Justine vs. Serena again !!!

Slumpsova
Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:29 PM
:mad: :fiery: :banghead:

frenchie
Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
GS draws are insane this year!

Serena /JH QF is the new Serena/Capriati

Slumpsova
Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:33 PM
i think the draw was rigged :rolleyes:
this isn't fair :(

Mina Vagante
Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:33 PM
serena needs to stop being seeded number 8.. i thought she miss henin this year but then momo withdrew, or either justine needs to stop being seeded one :lol:

Natalicious
Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:41 PM
i think the draw was rigged :rolleyes:
this isn't fair :(

agreed. :rolleyes:
3 times the same quarters :o :rolleyes: :fiery:

tennisfan5
Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:43 PM
blame it on Mauresmo--she shouldn't have withdrawn, then serena would be #9;)

Vut
Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:44 PM
:sad:

Cashif
Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:48 PM
I like it:banana: but from tennis point of view it is so sad, two of the best players facing off so early

LoveFifteen
Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:49 PM
Not again. :mad:

roelc
Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
agreed. :rolleyes:
3 times the same quarters :o :rolleyes: :fiery:

the chances are 1:64

thetennisutopian
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:06 PM
THIS IS SO ANNOYING. It's good for tennis, but its not at the same time.

supergrunt
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:08 PM
to bad for Henin. :p

Slutiana
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:10 PM
rigged.

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:12 PM
poor JH all those final points to defend :angel:

DownTheLine21
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:13 PM
the chances are 1:64

True, but when you figure in the draw committee, the chances are 100%

supergrunt
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:14 PM

:lol: :devil:

V-MAC
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:20 PM
:yawn:

Hashim.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:24 PM
:banghead:

Serena_thebest
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:29 PM

well, that's what Serena is thinking I guess :devil:

Bruno71
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:29 PM
True, but when you figure in the draw committee, the chances are 100%

That's what I think too...I'm almost totally convinced these draws are not "random."

LucasArg
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:30 PM
Justine, Serena, Venus, Ivanovic and Jankovic in top half :mad:

kadirelf
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:30 PM
serena will win two set
relaxx guyss

Craigy
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:31 PM
serena will win two set
relaxx guyss

Shocker! :eek:

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:33 PM
doesn't anyone think that sugiyama or golovin could pull off the upset in that 4th of the draw with JH? (just asking)

Dexter
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:36 PM
Shocker! :eek::rolls:.

Expat
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:37 PM
doesn't anyone think that sugiyama or golovin could pull off the upset in that 4th of the draw with JH? (just asking)
i dont
justine losing before the quarters will be a bigger surprise than brie whitehead winning a match

sfselesfan
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:38 PM
I'm clearly in the minority because I like it when the top contenders play early.

SF

Apoleb
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:40 PM
Oh, I love it. :haha:

Serenidad.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:42 PM
USO Fast Hardcourts favor Serena. She's going to have the crowd, the fact Justine has never beaten her on hardcourts, and the normal Serena fight.

Apoleb
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:43 PM
That's what I think too...I'm almost totally convinced these draws are not "random."

Isn't there a 50% chance for Serena and Justine to meet in the QF? As far as I know, the draw is made such as the #1 seed meets either the #7 or #8 seed in the QF.

Allez-H
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:47 PM
I'm so not shocked over this :lol:

serena_fan
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:54 PM
Go Serena

Slumpsova
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:56 PM
USO Fast Hardcourts favor Serena. She's going to have the crowd, the fact Justine has never beaten her on hardcourts, and the normal Serena fight.
what are you talking about?
American fans always cheer against Serena even in the Open :o

Slumpsova
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:59 PM
Isn't there a 50% chance for Serena and Justine to meet in the QF? As far as I know, the draw is made such as the #1 seed meets either the #7 or #8 seed in the QF.
there is only 25% of possibility. #1 can get either #5, #6, #7 or #8 in the quarters and they chose #8 :o

Apoleb
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:01 PM
there is only 25% of possibility. #1 can get either #5, #6, #7 or #8 in the quarters and they chose #8 :o

25% is still relatively high. There's nothing surprising about the draw. Tell Serena to change her seeding.

Bruno71
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:01 PM

There's a 25% chance coming into the tourney. However, as was said before, there was a 1/64 chance of the 2 of them drawing each other in the quarters for 3 straight slam events.

Ferosh
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:02 PM
Go Justine!

Lulu.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:08 PM
You got this Serena :)

azinna
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:15 PM
Serena's always about the drama. Trust me, if she wanted it any other way she'd get her ranking up.....

Apoleb
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:30 PM
There's a 25% chance coming into the tourney. However, as was said before, there was a 1/64 chance of the 2 of them drawing each other in the quarters for 3 straight slam events.

hmm, I don't think that's correct. You can't multiply the probabilities in this case because by doing so you'd be taking order in consideration and you shouldn't do that in this case. For example, Justine meeting Ivanovic, Jankovic and Serean in 3 straight GS QF's would be a different event than her meeting Jankovic, Ivanovic and Serena (in that order).

According to my calculation, the probability is 1/20. There are 20 ways in which Justine can meet 4 players in 3 GS QF's without taking order in consideration (for example, the two events above would be defined in this case as a single event), (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combinatorics#Combination_with_repetition )
and Justine meeting Serena/Serena/Serena is one way. So it'd be 1/20. Ofcourse that is assuming the 4 seeds stay the same across the GS.

OK, not willing to turn this into a probability thread, but whatever. :lol: :wavey:

supergrunt
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:31 PM
They might not even make it there together.

Expat
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:34 PM

justine sure as hell is gonna make it
no sure abt serena
this coming from a willaims sisters fan

AlwaysGraf

yes but justine will have the "the crowd?so what!" attitude, the fact she's beaten serena at the same stage twice this yr plus match point on hardcourt (6:0 miami!!),and who knows what form serena will be in-justines just beaten probably her biggest threat for the title in straight sets!

come on justine
but wimbledon proved-who the bloody hell knows whats going to happen :)

Craigy

Thanks, we never knew that.

Bruno71
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
hmm, I don't think that's correct. You can't multiply the probabilities in this case because by doing so you'd be taking order in consideration and you shouldn't do that in this case. For example, Justine meeting Ivanovic, Jankovic and Serean in 3 straight GS QF's would be a different event than her meeting Jankovic, Ivanovic and Serena (in that order).

According to my calculation, the probability is 1/20. There are 20 ways in which Justine can meet 4 players in 3 GS QF's without taking order in consideration (for example, the two events above would be defined in this case as a single event), (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combinatorics#Combination_with_repetition )
and Justine meeting Serena/Serena/Serena is one way. So it'd be 1/20. Ofcourse that is assuming the 4 seeds stay the same across the GS.

OK, not willing to turn this into a probability thread, but whatever. :lol: :wavey:

That's good, cuz I suck at math! Even if it were 1/20...that's still a low 5% chance of this happening. I just feel like the last 3 slam draws have looked *generally* similar, with a few salient repeat matchups.

tennis ace
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Prior to this year people used to complain about how they never played eachother since 2003 now they've played three times and it's o it's too much:bigcry::lol: it's great for tennis if you ask me.

roelc
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:05 PM

no, to explain with your example
* justine vs. jelena - ana - serena at GS-QF (in this order) : 1/64
* justine vs. ana - jelena - serena at GS-QF (in this order) : 1/64
* justine vs. serena - serena - serena at GS-QF (there is only 1 serena ;) ) : 1/64

you could write down all the combinations (A,B,C,D), AAA, ABA, AAB, ...
1/4^3 = 1/64 that you will have CCC(erena)

but we were talking about tennis? :o

Conor
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
1 slam win and 3 slam quarters ain't that bad for Serena! :devil: ;)

Apoleb
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:29 PM
no, to explain with your example
* justine vs. jelena - ana - serena at GS-QF (in this order) : 1/64
* justine vs. ana - jelena - serena at GS-QF (in this order) : 1/64
* justine vs. serena - serena - serena at GS-QF (there is only 1 serena ;) ) : 1/64

you could write down all the combinations (A,B,C,D), AAA, ABA, AAB, ...
1/4^3 = 1/64 that you will have CCC(erena)

but we were talking about tennis? :o

Actually, you're correct. It would all depend on whether you should take order in consideration, and I guess you should in this case.

Nicolás89
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:34 PM
i predict juju will win, several crybabies excusers williams fans will beat themselves and be banned at the process.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:44 PM
"Two-time Open champ Venus Williams, coming off her comeback victory at Wimbledon, is seeded 12th and could have to go through Ivanovic and Jankovic to reach the semis, which is where she would play her sister if they met.Two-time Open champ Venus Williams, coming off her comeback victory at Wimbledon, is seeded 12th and could have to go through Ivanovic and Jankovic to reach the semis, which is where she would play her sister if they met.

jj74
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
The two best players of this decade must to face each other in the final not in quarters, it's insane that Justine and Serena never played a GS final

Vamos.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:53 PM
There goes Serena's chance:tape:

What a joke this is. Also Jelena in the same half. Meanwhile Sharapova waltzes her way to the SF.

Go Sveta:armed:

Geisha
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:13 PM

:devil: :worship:

It is similar to the SW/JC rivalry except that these two are the #1 and #2 players, IMO.

TSequoia01
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:20 PM
I too believe the draw is rigged but having said that, this is what Serena needs....no easy way out. Hate it more that Venus is on her side. But we will get either a Serena / Venus, or a Henin / Venus semi. :drool:

doni1212
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:25 PM
1 slam win and 3 slam quarters ain't that bad for Serena! :devil: ;)

Just like only Roland Garros and no other major AGAIN, isn't bad, :devil: . GOAT? I don't think so, :lol:

Venus+Serena#1fan
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:53 PM
It's a tough draw for both of them again. In all honesty I don't fear Serena's chances against Justine if she were simply healthy and had played a warmup event or two.

But she is going in with that nasty friend of hers the question mark so we'll just have to see how her form is!

ZeroSOFInfinity
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:54 AM
Again??? :help:

Third time's the charm for Serena? Or third time lucky for Justine? We'll only know two weeks later... boy, I can't wait :tape:

starin
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:07 AM
sucks cuz Serena could beat most everybody else in the draw.
but slowrena is not a match for Justine anymore.

heytennis
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:14 AM
Too many repeated match ups. Henin vs. Serena, Chakvetadze vs. Sharapova, Mirza vs. Chakvetadze etc.

Chunchun
Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:28 AM
No more lose again Serena :help:

Junex
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:13 AM
Justine just mentioned last week that her win against Serena has drained her emotionally...

Now is the time i guess to see if Justine had gotten over the "Serena" factor in a non-clay event.

She almost beat her in Miami, She beat her in Wimbledon and Serena was injured.

In this USO is the chance for my Justine to finally prove to herself that she could defeat Serena. That she can be better than Serena.

Its time to consolidate that Wimbledon win and prove to the Williams fans that Justine is capable of beating a Healthy Serena in HardCourts...
Then they will ran out of excuses.... or will they?.... :devil:

RJWCapriati
Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:20 AM
If it happens I hope it will be a night match :)

plantman
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:07 AM

or considered that Serena may not even get passed her first couple rounds with her injured thumb? (just asking)

Pasta-Na
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:15 AM
y not put serena in maria's sector? :p

anlavalle
Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:39 AM
:haha: :rolls:

Serenidad.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:35 AM
Obviously, Serena is healthy enough to hit backhands again. She isn't going to win USO not hitting a single backhand winner. I wouldn't read too much into the thumb injury at this point. She has been training, practicing, and hitting. She just hasn't had any official match practice, but once USO starts or maybe this week Venus comes. Then her and Venus hit with their male hitting partners from then to the end of their tournament. She will at least get to the quarters. The only sorta hump is Safarova who has taken her to a 3rd set tiebreak PRE-AO 2007 Serena. I think she'll get through that one, though.

friendsita
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:18 AM

Kick the cheater Ree! :devil: :devil: :devil:

TSequoia01
Aug 24th, 2007, 05:55 AM

An in form Serena is more than a match for Justine on hardcourt. But now a days that is not the Serena who shows up. But it is true the Serena after the knee surgery is not the one before it. However, I never count Serena out, never! She has taught me that over and over again. What I am interested to see is how she approaches the match mentally. Watched her battle herself against Jennifer it was a real transformation. She became the most dominant women player I have ever witnessed. Justine now has the momentum and the mental edge, what will Rena do? I will be watching if both make it to the quarters. Oh Serena has not just lost her speed, her precision is missing as well. At her best, Serena is power, precision, angles, and speed. Throw in the most dominant serve in the history of the women's game and she is a handful for any woman including Justine.

starin
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:22 AM
An in form Serena is more than a match for Justine on hardcourt. But now a days that is not the Serena who shows up. But it is true the Serena after the knee surgery is not the one before it. However, I never count Serena out, never! She has taught me that over and over again. What I am interested to see is how she approaches the match mentally. Watched her battle herself against Jennifer it was a real transformation. She became the most dominant women player I have ever witnessed. Justine now has the momentum and the mental edge, what will Rena do? I will be watching if both make it to the quarters. Oh Serena has not just lost her speed, her precision is missing as well. At her best, Serena is power, precision, angles, and speed. Throw in the most dominant serve in the history of the women's game and she is a handful for any woman including Justine.

well yeah but a lot of that has to do with footspeed too. cuz b4 she could rely on her defense now its a liability. Plus she doesn't hit the ball nearly as hard as she used to. She's like Window's Vista. Looks a little nicer than XP but plays like shit.

supergrunt
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Am I the only one who watched that Wimbledon match? Yes Serena lost and she couldn't hit a backhand, but she hit a lot of forehand winners on the run and I thought her defense was good because she won a lot of points defending. When I re-watched the match I realized that her approach shots need some work. I think she really needs to approach well to beat Henin.

TSequoia01
Aug 24th, 2007, 06:57 AM
well yeah but a lot of that has to do with footspeed too. cuz b4 she could rely on her defense now its a liability. Plus she doesn't hit the ball nearly as hard as she used to. She's like Window's Vista. Looks a little nicer than XP but plays like shit.

Serena is still plenty fast but her quickness is lacking, however her court coverage is more than adequate. Definitely would not call it a liability. She is as powerful as she ever was but is using much more spin. Does not hit the ball as clean as she once did, but that is a function of match play. That is what I meant by precision, those powerful flat shots now either go into the net or long. So she is giving herself more room for error by using more top spin. I do agree a rallying and slicing Serena hitting a lot of topspin is not the lil sis I have come to know.

TSequoia01
Aug 24th, 2007, 07:00 AM
Am I the only one who watched that Wimbledon match? Yes Serena lost and she couldn't hit a backhand, but she hit a lot of forehand winners on the run and I thought her defense was good because she won a lot of points defending. When I re-watched the match I realized that her approach shots need some work. I think she really needs to approach well to beat Henin.

That is how you defeat Justine on grass and hardcourt. Come to net! She plays her opponents like they will never come in. She stands 6 ft behind the baseline to give herself a bit more time for those loopy shots. Serena turned Miami around by coming to net and hitting volleys.

Ntour
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:02 AM

yeah it'll be as bad for her as wimbledon and rg

Ntour
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:10 AM

i disagree, gamewise henin should handle her okay
but she has a mental issue with serena, she showed it at wimbledon and after the miami final when she confessed that she didn't believe before the match that she could beat serena, and thats really why even with a 6-0 5-4 2 mp lead she still couldn't close it out.

hopefully now that she has beaten her outside of the clay courts it won't be such a big deal, but you never know if that injury will creep into the back of ju's mind

Ntour
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:14 AM

i have watched the match several times there were two really good on the run cc fh winners, but other than that not much. her serve is really what kept her in that match, and in my opinion her biggest weapon against justine

Slumpsova
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:16 AM
i disagree, gamewise henin should handle her okay
but she has a mental issue with serena, she showed it at wimbledon and after the miami final when she confessed that she didn't believe before the match that she could beat serena, and thats really why even with a 6-0 5-4 2 mp lead she still couldn't close it out.

hopefully now that she has beaten her outside of the clay courts it won't be such a big deal, but you never know if that injury will creep into the back of ju's mind
Henin said after the match Wimbledon that she's already get over it. she knows she can beat Serena everytime they play :o

tobe
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:36 AM
i just see another boring final coming...maybe even 1/2...not good for women tennis imo

TaxPower
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:17 PM
serena is quite unlucky actually

Olórin
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I think Serena will deal with it. Hopefully the injury is over, and she has the game to beat Justine. It's Venus I'd be worried about.

Her movement is still a weapon in itself imo (not a liability) against most players. However Venus will expose Serena not being at peak movement.

Olórin
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:35 PM
i have watched the match several times there were two really good on the run cc fh winners, but other than that not much. her serve is really what kept her in that match, and in my opinion her biggest weapon against justine

Not sure what match you watched, but in the one I watched Serena hit 12 forhand winners. Her serve is her biggest weapon against Justine, it's her biggest weapon in general though. THE biggest weapon in women's tennis actually.

Nicolás89
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Not sure what match you watched, but in the one I watched Serena hit 12 forhand winners.

wake up!!! 12 winners is too litle too few for a 3setter :wavey:

Olórin
Aug 24th, 2007, 08:58 PM
wake up!!! 12 winners is too litle too few for a 3setter :wavey:

It's plenty when you're only playing off one flank.

Go to sleep and rest your brain cell.

Nicolás89
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:06 PM

no it isnt.

Olórin
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:08 PM
no it isnt.

Yes it is.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:10 PM

Go to sleep and rest your brain cell.

LMAO!!:lol:

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Don't bother arguing with him. You're just wasting your time. It's like teaching calculus to a spider.

Nicolás89
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:19 PM
think about it, 4 winners per set, serenas serve was great so she surely had some great openers to finish with her forehand, two or 3 winners on the run or right positioned winners and there you have your 12 winners :wavey:

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:20 PM
i think justine will win again. we dont know the satus of serenas health and lets face it unlike venus has movement has gotten worse as the years have gone by and if serena doesnt win i dont think it will be straight sets. even the one match that she did win against justine this year she got bageled and got a little help from two dfs while justine was serving for the match. justine tried to choke and give her the wimbledon match but serena was injured so she coudl take it. who ever wins will probably win in three sets. i fear that this match will be a repeat of the serena/mauresmo match last year.

Olórin
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:25 PM
think about it, 4 winners per set, serenas serve was great so she surely had some great openers to finish with her forehand, two or 3 winners on the run or right positioned winners and there you have your 12 winners :wavey:

Well most of the points Serena won in the 3rd set were courtesy of Justine choking, so there goes your three sets:wavey:

It wasn't a particularly long match, about 90 minutes, I think. I didn't include service winners btw which bring's Serena's totaly number of winners to 20 :)

Btw, how's the calculus coming along? Hope you haven't got your legs in a tangle over it :haha:

Nicolás89
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:31 PM
well most of the points Serena won in the 3rd set were courtesy of Justine choking, so there goes your three sets:wavey:

:bs:

It wasn't a particularly long match, about 90 minutes, I think. I didn't include service winners btw which bring's Serena's totaly number of winners to 20 :)

we were talking about the forehand so thats irrelevant.

Btw, how's the calculus coming along? Hope you haven't got your legs in a tangle over it :haha:

even an idiot could thought about it, serena fans wouldnt :wavey:

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:39 PM
i think justine will win again. we dont know the satus of serenas health and lets face it unlike venus has movement has gotten worse as the years have gone by and if serena doesnt win i dont think it will be straight sets. even the one match that she did win against justine this year she got bageled and got a little help from two dfs while justine was serving for the match. justine tried to choke and give her the wimbledon match but serena was injured so she coudl take it. who ever wins will probably win in three sets. i fear that this match will be a repeat of the serena/mauresmo match last year.
OMG :haha::rolls: are you serious? :unsure:

brent-o
Aug 24th, 2007, 09:42 PM
The way I see it, one of two things could happen. Playing Justine in the quarterfinals and coming out victorious could really benefit her for the next matches (when you get a tough match under your belt, you gain confidence). Or it could be a problem if Serena is injured/out of shape/can't find her rhythm (as in their last two quarterfinal meetings). Personally, I hope for a good hard-fought match like in Miami, not like the beatdown at the French or the fluctuating quality of the Wimbledon quarterfinal. And hopefully Serena wins.