PDA

View Full Version : Did the Maersk Air Ladies Cup (the Danish event) get pulled?

Tennisace
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:36 AM
It seems to be missing from the sanex site under the tournament calendar...anyone know of anything? :confused:

Mattographer
Jul 11th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Aarhus? *checking Sanex WTA Tour website* You're right! :confused:

Tennisace
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:08 PM
bump :)

ChrisGermany
Jul 11th, 2002, 10:32 PM
I recognized that weeks ago when the lists came out about the players

It seems that after this week, there is a FedCup week and then a week off before Helsinki which is pretty sad for those who tried to make points on clay such as Arantxa and skipped the US tour for that

Jorn
Jul 11th, 2002, 10:59 PM
OH NO :( Have they cancelled this event?

I will try to search for info here in Denmark

spiceboy
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:47 PM
ChrisGermany :confused: we are talking about the indoor tournament in Aarhus in autumn, not the clay event in Basel ;)

JonBcn
Jul 12th, 2002, 02:31 AM
I spoke to someone from Denmarks national tennis association at Wimbledon; they left me with the impression it was going ahead...:confused:

Ted of Teds Tennis
Jul 12th, 2002, 02:43 AM
Chris:

What about the event in Sopot? Or is there a week between Sopot and Helsinki? I haven't looked at the WTA calendar in quite some time! :)

Tennisace
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:17 AM
There is no event opposite the Acura Classic. The event that should have been there should have been Basel the PreCon Open. Basel has been pulled off of the calendar for ages now...the Aarhaus one seems to have been yanked in the past few weeks.

ChrisGermany
Jul 12th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Sorry for confusing you all. My fault.

I still think it´s sad that Basel has been cancelled. Any reasons ? Patty and Iroda will drop immensly now.

It was planned to play
- Casablanca, Palermo, Brussels
- FedCup
- Basel
- Helsinki

here in Europe. Call me wrong but it was planned that girls like Coetzer or Sanchez get a chance to improve their rankings here playing clay for a couple of weeks avoiding too much rivalry on US hardcourts.

Now they cancelled Basel and the chain of events falls apart. If you rest one week after FedCup, why staying in Europe with Helsinki´s final just hours before the event in Canada on hardcourt begins.

Every player that takes the US Open seriously would avoid such stress.

Jorn
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:14 AM
About Aarhus, I will try to call and ask about it, today or Monday, I hope here still will be a tourny, even I now doubt it.

Tennisace
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:04 PM
I would have liked to see this event still up, I love the lower tier events...you never know which champion could be the tour's newest star :D

ptkten
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:14 PM
Well there is Sopot....so players can play week after Wimby, then Fed Cup, then Sopot, then Helsinki. Three tournament is enough on the clay considering Vienna was played earlier this year.

Also, if I remember correctly, the tournament in Denmark was never on clay in the summer. It was always taking place indoors in the fall, and as far as I know it still is, but I haven't checked the calendar in a while.

Jorn
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:23 PM
The tournament in Denmark was new, we have never had any WTA tour tournament only a challenger tourny. I tried to call today, but noone in the office due to Davis Cup, so I will call again Monday. (Too hear why they seem to have cancelled this new event, even before it had started...)

Tennisace
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:54 AM
:sad: I hope its not axed :(

Monica_Rules
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:42 AM
Nither do i it would be a great chance for GBR girl to gain experience on tour level!

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:51 AM
This event was scheduled for October 07 2002 asa Tier IV event to be played on a Supreme Indoor Court.

It seems to have been axed :sad:

matthias
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:58 AM
yes TBE, i saw the Tournament at the saem week as Filderstadt
and imwas quite happy, cause i think we need another tournament in the same week as Filderstadt, cause filderstadt cut-off is very high, and lower ranked player don´t have a change to play this week

Tennisace
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:04 PM
:sad:

Iconoclast
Jul 17th, 2002, 03:50 PM
Yes, it has been cancelled due to lack of sponsors. Organizers felt it was too risky to go ahead without proper financial backing.

A shame for Eva Dyrberg and Danish tennis.

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 17th, 2002, 03:55 PM
yes it was due to lack of sponsors.

very sad not only for the Danes but the Swedish players as well.

Iconoclast
Jul 17th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Yup, and with Hamburg tossed out as well, very sad for North European tennis in general.

Jorn
Jul 17th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Yes it sad, coz now we have to travel FAR to see some tennis :sad: :sad: :sad: but its wierd because Maersk Air should be able to pay for this small tourny ;)