PDA

View Full Version : Fight for no.2, The one who lasts longer at US gets it!

©@®eLess
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:56 AM
Sharapova currently 3845 defending 700 points from last year
Jankovic currently 3429 defending 314 points
Kuznetsova currently 3000 defending 96

Kuznetsova playing New Haven....no.1 seed if she wins it gets 275 points

So once the US starts and points come off

Sharapova 3145
Jankovic 3115
If Kuznetsova wins New Haven She will have max. 3275-96 = 3179

Its clear....who lasts longer gets NO.2 after the open!

Your opinion?

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:01 PM
Masha deserves it to me...been more consistent than the others when it matters most....

however i feel it all depends on who they all get in the 4th rd and QF...

Slutiana
Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Sharapova currently 3845 defending 700 points from last year
Jankovic currently 3429 defending 314 points
Kuznetsova currently 3000 defending 96

Kuznetsova playing New Haven....no.1 seed if she wins it gets 275 points

So once the US starts and points come off

Sharapova 3145
Jankovic 3115
If Kuznetsova wins New Haven She will have max. 3275-96 = 3179

Its clear....who lasts longer gets NO.2 after the open!

Your opinion?

Maria and Wankovic will lose in the first round and sveta will be world no.2 :hearts:

mankind
Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:03 PM
Or alternatively Ivanovic could just win the whole thing.

patch.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:12 PM
What about if Ana or Serena wins it? Surely theyll get into at least top 3

So is Justine defently still World Number 1 after USO?

Thanx4nothin
Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:30 PM
Shame Justine can't lose the no.1 spot unless she loses really early, I'm sick of her being the no.1. I'd like a new no.1 like Kuzzie or Ana, not that I wouldn't complain if serena or Vee got it back :lol: I tihnk Maria will be no.2 after USO, but by the end of th eyear maybe Jankovic will be through sheer weight of tournies played.

Shepster
Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Shame Justine can't lose the no.1 spot unless she loses really early, I'm sick of her being the no.1.
Even if she loses in the first round she'll still be #1. Check before hating.

Mikey B
Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
i hope masha keeps her number 2 spot... although jelena deserves it more based on the majority of this year, but i want maria to retain her title... i think she's really gona fight like never before to keep it after such a crappy year for her.

supergrunt
Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:39 PM
Sharapova will get it.

jonny84
Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Going to be great to watch the rankings during the US Open.All the players deserve it in one way or another, and the best player will get there.

MisterMan
Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:55 PM
If Sveta gets to be # 2, the system is BROKEN !!! Has there ever been a weaker #2 in the WTA ??

goldenlox
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:04 PM
Sharapova has a lot to defend the rest of the year.

Dexter
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:06 PM
I just knew you would forget about selfish cow. :lol:

sammy01
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Maria and Wankovic will lose in the first round and sveta will be world no.2 :hearts:

is that a typing error! wankovic i dare say its not but very funny! :lol: :lol: :tape:

Tennisstar86
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:24 PM
Masha deserves it to me...been more consistent than the others when it matters most....

however i feel it all depends on who they all get in the 4th rd and QF...

Have you been watching Tennis this year? Sharapova's only had 3 top ten wins this year... and she just barely got 2 of those a couple weeks ago....

I agree though if kuznetsova gets it..... the tour has become very weak (which it has)

MagicMilan
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:41 PM
Maria will probably hold on to no.2, Jelena no.3. I see JJ taking the no.2 spot after the US. IMO Sveta will lose earlier than these 2, probably in the 4th round or so. Ana shouldn't be left off this race, I think she'll go far but stay just outside no.3 spot. I think that the difference between Maria, JJ and Ana will be less than 100 points at the end of the US Open :)

Serenidad.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:45 PM
You never know. Justine doesn't play well at the USO compared to other slams. She either gets to the 4th round or the final. AND she's only been to the final twice. She's lost in the fourth round as world number 1 in 2004 to Petrova. Subsequently, she lost world 1 ranking there AND opened the draw for Kuznetsova to win. Another year, she lost to Hantuchova. The USO courts are very fast. Faster than AO, but a little slower than indoor. She's upset prone here just like at wimbledon.

Slutiana
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:46 PM
is that a typing error! wankovic i dare say its not but very funny! :lol: :lol: :tape:

im only kidding:devil:

sammy01
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:58 PM
im only kidding:devil:

its was funny anyways so i dont mind! :p

©@®eLess
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:59 PM
I just knew you would forget about selfish cow. :lol:

She would have 350+ points less then the trio... This 3 should lose before QF, and Ana should win it to be no.2. Not impossible...but still...going wit the most possible scenario.

Shepster
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:03 PM
Another year, she lost to Hantuchova.
To be fair, Hantuchova has since called that her proudest performance (which considering she hit 50 UEs is pretty hilarious - more in terms of circumstance I think with the injuries and everything) - I don't see Henin nowadays serving 38% first serves in and 19 winners/37 UEs.

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Have you been watching Tennis this year? Sharapova's only had 3 top ten wins this year... and she just barely got 2 of those a couple weeks ago....

I agree though if kuznetsova gets it..... the tour has become very weak (which it has)

have YOU been watching tennis this year...last time i checked masha didn't lose to nobodies AND her GS results are final SF and 4th rd (losing only to the best grass courter this generation) while JJ is 4th rd SF and 4th rd and Kuzzy is 4th rd QF QF....the same principle i measure my fave on is what i measure everyone on and IMO masha deserves it and it must say something if she's still #2 with only one title while playing less and winning less titles that JJ....her GS results keep her up there and IMO if she outperforms them which i think she can (doing it is something i'm not gonna predict but wouldn't be that far out to believe will happen) she will be the most deserving of #2

faboozadoo15
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:22 PM
Maria has a good shot at actually winning the US Open. I wouldn't pick either of these other girls. Maria should stay #2 and slowly edge out the Serbs with better indoor results and finish yet again at #2 in 2007.

frenchie
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:26 PM
Jankovic deserves it more IMO

cecilija
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
You never know. Justine doesn't play well at the USO compared to other slams. She either gets to the 4th round or the final. AND she's only been to the final twice. She's lost in the fourth round as world number 1 in 2004 to Petrova. Subsequently, she lost world 1 ranking there AND opened the draw for Kuznetsova to win. Another year, she lost to Hantuchova. The USO courts are very fast. Faster than AO, but a little slower than indoor. She's upset prone here just like at wimbledon.

What has that got to do with this topic?

Tenis Srbija
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
Ajde Jelena :cool:
She will take out Maria in SF :angel: :p

faboozadoo15
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:49 PM

:tape: Even if Maria outlasts her at the US Open, maybe even wins it?
FYI-- Maria has gone deeper than Jelena at all the majors this year except at the French, where both players lost in the SF.

edit: Jankovic and Maria also lost in the same round at Wimbledon :tape:
For some reason, had thought Maria went further.

Expat
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:52 PM
if kuzi gets it thats it no more hope for the WTA
one boring personality at the top and a non existent player at no 2
not what larry scott wants

Shepster
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:53 PM
FYI-- Maria has gone deeper than Jelena at all the majors this year except at the French, where both players lost in the SF.
But Jankovic is only where she is because she's played so many tournaments... At least that's what I've been told... :tape: What? The rankings are actually geared towards the grand slams? *dies of shock*

:p

faboozadoo15
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:59 PM
I'm not hating on Jelena, and I would be fine if she was already #2, given her accomplishments this year.

I just don't know how you could say one "deserves" a higher ranking than another if they failed to do better than said player in any major.

Shepster
Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
I'm not hating on Jelena, and I would be fine if she was already #2, given her accomplishments this year.

I just don't know how you could say one "deserves" a higher ranking than another if they failed to do better than said player in any major.
Oh I know, I totally agree, I just find it amusing that others say she's only there because she's abusing the rankings system because of the # of tournaments she plays, yet it is precisely because she doesn't do as well at the very best events that she isn't higher.

Uranus
Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:10 PM
It will be tough between Maria & Jelena. I honestly hope Jelena gets it, she's had an amazing year. I don't see Svetlana doing better than them, unless Maria gets Venus in 4r and Jelena gets Serena in QF.

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:12 PM

Reigning US Open champion, Australian Open runner-up and Roland Garros semifinalist doesn't "deserve" to be ranked ahead of US Open and Roland Garros semifinalist. For sure... :rolleyes:

Your hating on Sharapova has no boundaries, really. And it is sad.
I mean, I can understand when someone points out lack of achievements of certain player(s) or someone doesn't like player's gamestyle...
But when you consistently dismiss Sharapova's FACTUAL achievements even regardless of threads topic you look just pitiful.

frenchie
Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
Reigning US Open champion, Australian Open runner-up and Roland Garros semifinalist doesn't "deserve" to be ranked ahead of US Open and Roland Garros semifinalist. For sure... :rolleyes:

I mean, I can understand when someone points out lack of achievements of certain player(s) or someone doesn't like player's gamestyle...
But when you consistently dismiss Sharapova's FACTUAL achievements even regardless of threads topic you look just pitiful.

Well let's put it in another way:devil: :

Maria has won only 1 tournament this year compared to Jelena's 4 (including 2 tier 1)
Jelena beat $harapova on grass
$harapova often get destroyed 6/1-6/1:tape:

and Jelena is committed to the tour at least by honoring her commitments!

:wavey:

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
Well let's put it in another way:devil: :

Maria has won only 1 tournament this year compared to Jelena's 4 (including 2 tier 1)
Jelena beat $harapova on grass
$harapova often get destroyed 6/1-6/1:tape:

and Jelena is committed to the tour at least by honoring her commitments!

:wavey:

Sharapova won 4 tournaments over the last 52 weeks: GS + 2 Tier I + Tier II.
I tend to think that GS + 2 Tier I + Tier II >>> 2 Tier I + Tier III + Tier IV.
Sharapova may get "destroyed" often but she's winning matches too. Jankovic is 2-27 vs Henin, Clijsters, Davenport, Mauresmo, Sharapova and Myskina combined.
Facts and only facts.

goldlion
Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:39 PM
I certainly hope Maria could win it and keep the World No. 2 spot.

It is fine actually if Jelena took the place but I'm not sure if she can defend all the points she earned this year.

As you guys have mentioned Masha doesn't have a good result this year,

and against all odds, but she's still having a higher rank than Jelena.

Does it mean that Jelena has not done enough?

Furthermore, even Jelena earns No. 2, it won't last long.

Masha will gain all the points back from where she lost this year:

1) Dubai

2) Indian Wells

3) Miami

4) Wimbledon

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
Btw, ALL players who previously reached #2 in WTA rankings were GS champions or finalists.

Expat
Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:51 PM
Btw, ALL players who previously reached #2 in WTA rankings were GS champions or finalists.
that means jelena has a shot to show how poor the current competition is

Tennisstar86
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:03 PM

Thats a mute statement... Hingis was number 1 having not won a grandslam in 2-3 years.... Clijsters was number 1 having not made a final in 2-3 years......

have YOU been watching tennis this year...last time i checked masha didn't lose to nobodies AND her GS results are final SF and 4th rd (losing only to the best grass courter this generation) while JJ is 4th rd SF and 4th rd and Kuzzy is 4th rd QF QF....the same principle i measure my fave on is what i measure everyone on and IMO masha deserves it and it must say something if she's still #2 with only one title while playing less and winning less titles that JJ....her GS results keep her up there and IMO if she outperforms them which i think she can (doing it is something i'm not gonna predict but wouldn't be that far out to believe will happen) she will be the most deserving of #2

Yes I have been watching tennis. And MOST of her "great" performances are due to the fact that she is the number 2 seed, which shes held onto because of her US OPEN win...... She gets a BIG buffer from a lot of the dangerous matches other players are subject to because of it..... If you really want to say Maria deserves her number 2 over everyone she should make the finals of every match she plays.... since she doesnt theres no reason to say shes earned it more than a player who fights through the draw to the quaters....

LindsayRulz
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:05 PM
Well, Jelena will have to win it as Sharapova has a bye to the final.

Tennisstar86
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Well, Jelena will have to win it as Sharapova has a bye to the final.

hrmm... she has an easier route than most; however, I think Vaidisova could take her out easy... she doesnt play scared thats for sure...

UDACHi
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:12 PM
maria or jelena really do seem more like the second best player than svetlana.

AcesHigh
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:12 PM
Thats a mute statement... Hingis was number 1 having not won a grandslam in 2-3 years.... Clijsters was number 1 having not made a final in 2-3 years......

Yes I have been watching tennis. And MOST of her "great" performances are due to the fact that she is the number 2 seed, which shes held onto because of her US OPEN win...... She gets a BIG buffer from a lot of the dangerous matches other players are subject to because of it..... If you really want to say Maria deserves her number 2 over everyone she should make the finals of every match she plays.... since she doesnt theres no reason to say shes earned it more than a player who fights through the draw to the quaters....

Agree with most of this. Jelena has played better than Maria all year.. she deserves it more if we're talking about 2007. But yet again, Maria has the easier draw and Pova will probably get to the final while JJ loses to Venus/Ana or Justine/Serena.

Bruno71
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:13 PM
Sharapova has a MUCH better chance than Ana or Jelena at going that extra round, with her draw. So it'll most likely be her at #2 (though it could come down to her & Sveta in a semi if Sveta wakes the hell up). But she'll have to focus on defending titles in the fall season afterwards.

sfselesfan
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:14 PM
Based on the draw...Jankovic is a long shot.

SF

thrust
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:23 PM
Jelena has had a better year, so far, than Maria. Maria is only #2 because of the stupid ranking system.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:24 PM

agree

DA FOREHAND
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:31 PM
Oh I know, I totally agree, I just find it amusing that others say she's only there because she's abusing the rankings system because of the # of tournaments she plays, yet it is precisely because she doesn't do as well at the very best events that she isn't higher.

No i'd say she's abusing her body to gain ranking points.

NOBODY DESERVES anything, if they got it they earned it.

Tennisstar86
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:34 PM
No i'd say she's abusing her body to gain ranking points.

NOBODY DESERVES anything, if they got it they earned it.

yeah she is coughdokiccough....

DA FOREHAND
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:35 PM
"Yes I have been watching tennis. And MOST of her "great" performances are due to the fact that she is the number 2 seed, which shes held onto because of her US OPEN win...... She gets a BIG buffer from a lot of the dangerous matches other players are subject to because of it..... If you really want to say Maria deserves her number 2 over everyone she should make the finals of every match she plays.... since she doesnt theres no reason to say shes earned it more than a player who fights through the draw to the quaters"

So basically you're saying she earned her #2 spot and in your mind easy draws by virtue of Winning the US Open title in 06?

terjw
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:39 PM

:tape: :tape: You come up with some crap don't you. When Kim first got to #1 in 2003 she'd been in two GS finals the same year - USO & RG. When she got #1 early in 2006 it was largely a result of just winning the USO before in 2005.

Perhaps you should do your research and think before spouting such crap.

Tennisstar86
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:44 PM
"Yes I have been watching tennis. And MOST of her "great" performances are due to the fact that she is the number 2 seed, which shes held onto because of her US OPEN win...... She gets a BIG buffer from a lot of the dangerous matches other players are subject to because of it..... If you really want to say Maria deserves her number 2 over everyone she should make the finals of every match she plays.... since she doesnt theres no reason to say shes earned it more than a player who fights through the draw to the quaters"

So basically you're saying she earned her #2 spot and in your mind easy draws by virtue of Winning the US Open title in 06?

yes. Im saying in 2006 she earned her number 2 spot.... and that spot has helped her maintain it in 2007...... And in my mind her draws often seem much easier than others which are in large part due to the fact that she is the number 2 seed..... for instance at wimbledon she ran into the number 23 seed but unluckily for her that happened to be Venus williams...

Tennisstar86
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:47 PM
:tape: :tape: You come up with some crap don't you. When Kim first got to #1 in 2003 she'd been in two GS finals the same year - USO & RG. When she got #1 in 2006 it was largely a result of winning the USO.

Perhaps you should do your research and think before spouting such crap.

So your saying as not having won a GS in 2003 she deserved the #1 ranking? because im not arguing either side..... Just stating that if in 2003 someone can be ranked #1 without a GS and that in 2000 someone can win a title without a grand slam Jelena having not made a final shouldnt keep her from number 2.....

terjw
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:49 PM
So your saying as not having won a GS in 2003 she deserved the #1 ranking? because im not arguing either side..... Just stating that if in 2003 someone can be ranked #1 without a GS and that in 2000 someone can win a title without a grand slam Jelena having not made a final shouldnt keep her from number 2.....

Don't avoid the fact that you said Kim hadn't made a final in 2-3 years when she became #1. And that is complete crap.

Tennisstar86
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
Don't avoid the fact that you said Kim hadn't made a final in 2-3 years when she became #1. And that is complete crap.

someones alittle touchy when talking about there underachieving favorite......Its very interesting that in 2003 Kim became #1 while Justine And Serena held 2 GS titles each.... dont ya think?:wavey: :wavey: yet people have a problem with the hottest player on tour this year (jankovic) being number 2

terjw
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:01 PM
someones alittle touchy when talking about there underachieving favorite......Its very interesting that in 2003 Kim became #1 while Justine And Serena held 2 GS titles each.... dont ya think?:wavey: :wavey: yet people have a problem with the hottest player on tour this year (jankovic) being number 2

Not touchy - I just have a low opinion of ppl like you who can't be bothered to do research, spout lies, and don't admit they lied. And that would go for spouting factual lies about any any other player if you can't get basic facts right.

manu
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:36 PM
Tennisstar86, touchy or not, you are the one who made a mistake, not terjw. Please just admit that and let people get back on topic with this thread.

As far as I'm concerned: with this draw, I'm almost positive Maria will be #2 at the end of the US Open.

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:43 PM

You're either stupid or can't read.

I repeat what I've said:
all 22 players who previously got to No.2 (or No.1) in the WTA Rankings were Grand Slam champions or finalists.

I didn't say there were reigning champions.

terjw
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:56 PM
Tennisstar86, touchy or not, you are the one who made a mistake, not terjw. Please just admit that and let people get back on topic with this thread.

As far as I'm concerned: with this draw, I'm almost positive Maria will be #2 at the end of the US Open.

Thank you. I also agree with you about Maria. I think she'll still be the #2 at the end of the USO - and she'll have deserved it if she is.

Tennisstar86
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:00 PM
You're either stupid or can't read.

I repeat what I've said:
all 22 players who previously got to No.2 (or No.1) in the WTA Rankings were Grand Slam champions or finalists.

I didn't say there were reigning champions.

And i simply pointed out to you that Clijsters is the only player to become #1 having never won a Grand slam.....

Its also funny you should mention that as Lindsay Davenport became number 2 in early 98... she didnt win her first GS until the Us Open that year.... and her best previous results were SF appearences....

Harvs
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:04 PM
eugh anyone but sveta

sfselesfan
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:09 PM
Sharapova and Svetlana will play for the number 2 ranking in the lower half semifinal. Jankovic will probably go down in the QF.

SF