PDA

View Full Version : Martina HINGIS still #.1

Buitenzorg
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:48 AM
As you all know, for the past 8-12 months The #.1 at WTA Ranking is been changed from one to another player.

Hingis -> Davenport -> Capriati -> Venus -> Serena (new)

For me, Martina HINGIS is still #.1

We'll see If The Power Players can catching up Martina HINGIS for (Weeks at #.1)

Proof as weeks at #.1 WTA Ranking (ONLY for Active Players)

1. Martina HINGIS (209 weeks)
2. Monica SELES (178 weeks)
3. Lindsay DAVENPORT (37 weeks)
4. Jennifer CAPRIATI (18 weeks)
5. Arantxa Sanchez VICARIO (12 weeks)
5. VENUS Williams (12 weeks)
7. SERENA Williams (1 week - new)

Vincent
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:50 AM
good Martina!

schris
Jul 11th, 2002, 08:01 AM
HAHAHA

▀coene
Jul 11th, 2002, 08:03 AM
The Williams are with two so that won't be easy.

Becool
Jul 11th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Sorry but when Martina was number one, the Williams were far from being where they are now.. Specially Serena

Williams Rulez
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Oh... if that's the case for me, Graf is still number 1! :rolleyes:

Buitenzorg
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Williams Rulez
Oh... if that's the case for me, Graf is still number 1! :rolleyes:

At least Martina HINGIS is The BEST of The Active Players on The WTA Tour (She still #.4 Behind Graf, Navratilova and Evert) :p

Williams Rulez
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:16 AM
I can't believe it... you are just delusional. She is off the tour right now, and you're telling me she is the best?

Whatever.

Eric_tennis
Jul 11th, 2002, 09:31 AM
I just hope she returns to the tour with healthy form.

Go, Martina!
:bounce:

Crazy Canuck
Jul 11th, 2002, 10:32 AM
Perhaps I misunderstood, but the point was to celebrate Martina's acheivement?

How did I know it would be turned into some sort of useless debate?

kfh_9118
Jul 11th, 2002, 10:34 AM
I'm not sure who should be #1. For now, Serena is #1 based on the ranking... But she hasn't proved anything and to defend the #1 crown is far more difficult than getting there...

For me, Martina Hingis is definitely the smartest active player on tour. She doesn't rely on her power to win a game, but she applies a strategy/tactic. So in this area, she is #1

For power game, definitely Williams Sisters are #1 (co-leader :p)

raddronald
Jul 11th, 2002, 10:45 AM
wow, i thought venus had more than 12wks....i guess i was wrong (nothing new...lol)

ASTRID
Jul 11th, 2002, 10:49 AM
go marti !!!!!!!!

Volcana
Jul 11th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Katulampa - Do yo think she would trade all her weeks at#1 for Serena's French Open title?

Robbie.
Jul 11th, 2002, 01:36 PM
volcana, that is an interesting question. Being #1 was always so important to Marti. Who is greater the player who wins 6 slams over her career but never get to #1? Or the one who holds that ranking for the equivalent of 4 years, but only wins 5 slams (of course I hope Marti wins many more)? Is the french open important enough to her to surrender what she perceives as her birth right? To never be recognised technically as superior to all others of the time?

RAA
Jul 11th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Martina had a great run at #1, that is for sure. But even by her own admission, during some of that time, particularly during 2001 she was not the best player in the world. In 2001 she said that pretty much Jennifer was playing like the top player in the world. also I'm pretty sure that either during summer/fall 2000 when Venus was rampaging through tournaments and winning wimbledon and US open back to back, Martina did feel that, at that time, Venus was the best player on the tour.

Kudos to Martina for her accomplishment. I agree that it probably won't be matched for a long time, but that has more to do with the strength of women's tennis these days.

Dirty Sanchez
Jul 11th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Serena is the form player at the moment so is rightfully at no1 in the world.

Currently no-one comes close to her (including Venus).

Even when Martina comes back I can't see her challenging for no.1 spot. She'll no doubt be top 10 easily and probably top 5 but she has yet to find a counter for her to defeat the power players and until she does she won't be the top player.

Davenport has more chance of getting no.1 for me...........

brickhousesupporter
Jul 11th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Rebecca
Perhaps I misunderstood, but the point was to celebrate Martina's acheivement?

How did I know it would be turned into some sort of useless debate?

Perhaps, I am mistaken, but aren't you the same person who said it is stupid to celebrate another person's achievement.?

Jamy
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:17 PM
The other player have been active in tennis as long as Martina and they have had the same opportunities to hold the # 1 for 209 weeks. It did NOT happen. Great work Martina! your record speaks for it's self.

~RedRose~
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:32 PM
no, no, no!

That just means marti has been the best for longer than Venus/Serena has been the best but that was then and this is now.
Look towards the future hopefully Marti can add a few more weeks to that tally!!

irma
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:39 PM
martina had an outstanding career till now but right now she is not the best in the world, if she wins the us open and masters this year then we can talk about that again!

TeeRexx
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Well, Marti definitely has the record for being slamless the longest while holding the #1 spot.

An unbreakable record indeed. :)

~RedRose~
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:50 PM
im really sick of people going on about marti being slamless ... what about Monica huh?? How long has it been since she has won a GS??

RAA
Jul 11th, 2002, 03:04 PM
When Monica was #1 she was winning slams hand over fist. The point that Tee-rex was making was Martina's ability to be #1 for so long WITHOUT winning a grand slam.

Serena had 2 slams BEFORE she EVER became #1 (technically she didn't become number 1 till Monday after her Wimbledon win). Which I personally find a more amazing accomplishment.

Williams Rulez
Jul 11th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Whatever the record... it is still a record... ;)

~RedRose~
Jul 11th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Yeah but i wasnt exactly saying about Tee-rex's comment just about how everyone says that Martina is really hopeless now ect. she hasn't won a slam in 3 years ect ect.

If Marti can aonsistantly get to Finals, & Semis of Grand Slams she is a top top player!!

RAA
Jul 11th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Yes, she's a top player, but she's not the #1 player. which is what the title of this thread indicates.

actually, the title of this thread actually indicates that Martina still the .1 player in the world.... ;)

Vincent
Jul 11th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Martina will back with health shape...
she is still the best, relies too much on power is no good.

~RedRose~
Jul 11th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by yoshie707
no, no, no!

That just means marti has been the best for longer than Venus/Serena has been the best but that was then and this is now.
Look towards the future hopefully Marti can add a few more weeks to that tally!!

read

RockSteady
Jul 11th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Let's try this:

"For me, Martina HINGIS is still #.1"

--Original Poster

"For me"

As in it's his/her opinion. Fans of Rita Grande say for them Rita is #1.

TeeRexx, what I find amazing about her not winning a Slam for years and years and years is that she has given Venus Williams all the time in the world to catch up!

:wavey:

We're still waiting...

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 11th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Well said, rocksteady

supremeross
Jul 11th, 2002, 05:14 PM
Just a question. How many weeks was Martina ever at #1 with just 12 tournaments?? Was she ever? While I understand the importance and prestige of being number 1, Martina also proved how hollow being number 1 can be also. At the end of the day and of her career she'll ultimately be "judged/valued" by the number of grand slams she has won (5), which is not bad at all. I think just about every player places more meaning on grand slams than being number 1.

supremeross
Jul 11th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Volcana
Katulampa - Do yo think she would trade all her weeks at#1 for Serena's French Open title?

Yes.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 11th, 2002, 05:20 PM
It all matters

Grandslams
Weeks at number One
Titles ( Singles and Doubles)

Martina and Lindsay has a lot better of these things than the Williams.

Playing more tournies means less power. Thats why they skipped tournaments. These year they got a full schedule without lindsay and Martina.

Becool
Jul 11th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Fans of Rita Grande say for them Rita is #1.

Sorry but the fans of Rita Grande knows exactly that she's not the best player, in terms of great tennis. She means a lot to them, but is not the best of WTA. The same happens with Hingis' fans. She's injured, and we don't even know how she will play, and they still think she's the best

selesrules
Jul 11th, 2002, 05:26 PM
If Martina was stabbed, she wouldn't have all these weeks at no.1 Monica would have probably ended up with most weeks at no.1, not Steffi. I hate when people put records like this because they are all don't mean anything!!! This isn't real tennis history and if you do consider it as real history, it means that you support criminals.

Aloysius
Jul 11th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Are some of you disputing the fact that Martina Hingis has been No. 1 longer than the other active players?

I thought that's what this thread was about. What's wrong with saying that? Why the attacks? I don't understand. No insults were thrown in the original post.

Weevee
Jul 11th, 2002, 05:43 PM
For me my sister, who doesn't play tennis, is no1. I hope nobody cares. These threads should not be about me. Martina has been No 1 longer than Venus and Serena combined. I sympathise with your need to find an area in which Martina surpasses V/S. Nobody will argue that her tennis is competitive so find consolation where consolation can be found. Actually I like Martina but she is no Venus and even Venus is not No1

TSequoia01
Jul 11th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by QUEENLINDSAY
Playing more tournies means less power. Thats why they skipped tournaments. These year they got a full schedule without lindsay and Martina.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hmmm lets see. Martina last won a slam going on 4 years ago and Lindsay 3 1/2, so they probably would not have had much effect on the Sister's success. But it will be great to have them back and in the mix. :cool:

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 11th, 2002, 06:14 PM
yeah, and Serena just won now after how many years????

harloo
Jul 11th, 2002, 06:26 PM
Hey, my sister is the no.1 player in my mind. Go figure.

RAA
Jul 11th, 2002, 06:58 PM
I will agree that on paper Hingis still has a "better"career than either Venus or Serena. She leads them in tournies won, grand slams won and weeks at #1.
I don't think that either Venus or serena will catch her at weeks at #1, that was quite a run that Hingis had and no one could knock her off her perch till Davenport came along, and then Capriati.
But I do think that when all is said and done, each williams sister will have at least as many slams as Hingis,if not more.

Seles, with her 9 slams, is really the player that all these women should be compared to. She was DOMINANT when she was #1 and was winning a tons of tournaments and slams over a several year span. Neither Serena nor Venus nor Lindsay nor Jennifer has come close the the string of successes that Monica had in the early 90s.

CanIGetAWhat
Jul 12th, 2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by RAA
She leads them in tournies won, grand slams won and weeks at #1.

really? most people on here can't distinguish the difference between Venus and Serena. they view them as one identity. if we're going by this logic, then Venus and Serena leads Martina in tournament and grand slam wins :angel: ;) :p

Williamses: 41 tournament wins
Hingis: 40 tournament wins

Williamses: 7 singles Grand Slams
Hingis: 5 singles Grand Slams

obviously Martina has a more successful career :rolleyes: :)

~RedRose~
Jul 12th, 2002, 01:43 AM
I think Martina is pretty good if her totals are nearly as good as two other top players (perhaps the best) combined!

You can't combne the two players and base that on the judgment that they have had a more successful career because it is a lie.

Buitenzorg
Jul 12th, 2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by QUEENLINDSAY
yeah, and Serena just won now after how many years????

Good On you Queenslindsay,

SERENA won her last GS after she's been waiting for almost 3 years (Aug/Sep 1999 to May 2002)

heidi2
Jul 12th, 2002, 02:08 AM
I just hope that Marti will be staying fighting fit and healthy !;)

Go Marti ! :hearts:

nysaga
Jul 12th, 2002, 02:27 AM
why did that list begin with Hingis? lol

where's the other martina, graf, and evert?

Buitenzorg
Jul 12th, 2002, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by nysaga
why did that list begin with Hingis? lol

where's the other martina, graf, and evert?

Helloooooo....If you're read the Thread properly you will know why...??? (I did Put this thread ONLY for The ACTIVE Players), Please don't lose a plot, honey!

nysaga
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by Katulampa

Helloooooo....If you're read the Thread properly you will know why...??? (I did Put this thread ONLY for The ACTIVE Players), Please don't lose a plot, honey!

your nasty attitude rivals Martina in her early days...when she was 15-16 ;)

Becool
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:40 AM
Sorry but Serena at least won something! Lindsay and Martina are still trying!...

Crazy Canuck
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by brickhousesupporter

Perhaps, I am mistaken, but aren't you the same person who said it is stupid to celebrate another person's achievement.?

Yes, you are mistakent.

I said that it is stupid to GLOAT about another person's achievement.

Celebrating and being happy for someone is a different thing altogether.

Its when someone brags and gets personal thrill out of what someone else has done, that I deem them pathetic.

Though I'd be happy to see a quote of mine that would make you think that I meant otherwise?

ys
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Nicely put, Becca..:)

Crazy Canuck
Jul 12th, 2002, 05:03 AM
Once again, the second I read this topic I knew it would become an argument.

:wavey: @ the hypocrits :D