PDA

View Full Version : The 21 mins is the longest game in WTA history?

LoveAndy
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:39 AM
During the 11th game of the second set of the Toronto final this year.
21 mins is the record for the longest game in WTA?

Mana
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:47 AM
In a qualifying match in Auckland this year, Osterloh vs. Hollands. Osterloh serving, she saved about 8 break points. Game was 20 mins plus.

sammy01
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:51 AM
the steffi - vicario 11th game in there 94(?) wimbledon final was longer im sure it had about 30 odd points!

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:00 AM
at YEC 2004 Davenport and Dementieva played 25 minutes game (42 points, 17 deuces) when Davenport was leading 6-0 4*-1

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:11 AM
there was 1 point in the 1980's which lasted for 629 strokes and 29 mins :zzz:

canuckfan
Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:21 AM
I remember a game between Amanda Coetzer and Conchita Martinez that lasted well over 20 minutes.

GoDominique
Aug 22nd, 2007, 04:18 AM
I remember AO quali match between Bianka Lamade :rolleyes: and Elena Bovina :o. They had a game that lasted either 28 minutes or even over half an hour, I don't know for sure. It took forever though.

The Kaz
Aug 22nd, 2007, 05:05 AM
What about the Jankovic/Safarova game at Wimby this year...it went for like 32minutes :eek:

RJWCapriati
Aug 22nd, 2007, 05:53 AM
at YEC 2004 Davenport and Dementieva played 25 minutes game (42 points, 17 deuces) when Davenport was leading 6-0 4*-1

Remember that one.......that match was much closer than 6-0, 6-1 :p

Brian Stewart
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:47 AM
If you count an entire tiebreaker as one "game", the tiebreaker which contained the point Eggy refered to lasted 1 hour 47 minutes.

Libertango
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:10 AM
1995 Wimbledon final, Graf - Sanchez-Vicario, final set 5-5, I'm sure it was about 25mins. An amazing match, I remember watching it.

Mina Vagante
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:08 AM
sharapova/venus at wimby this year had a 20+ mins game

Yasmine
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
If you count an entire tiebreaker as one "game", the tiebreaker which contained the point Eggy refered to lasted 1 hour 47 minutes.
:eek: who were the players?

Sexysova
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:11 AM
FC 07 - Vaidisova vs. Hantuchova - second game of first set.. it took over 21 mins :)

samn
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
:eek: who were the players?

The ones who engaged in that Ginny of Richmond atrocity that passed for tennis? Vicki Nelson Dunbar and Jean Hepner. These two women set back women's tennis by a few decades by playing a single point that lasted 29 minutes and 643 strokes. Apparently they were both content to just get the ball back and neither was keen on showing any initiative and finishing the point off. Nelson Dunbar's coach (and brother), Jim Nelson, was quoted as saying that she was like a backboard and that one could never get a ball past her. Yeah, no kidding, Jim! I mean, 643 strokes?? If I'd been the umpire, I'd have had them both kicked off the court.

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:55 AM
In a qualifying match in Auckland this year, Osterloh vs. Hollands. Osterloh serving, she saved about 8 break points. Game was 20 mins plus.

:bowdown:

Yasmine
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:58 AM
The ones who engaged in that Ginny of Richmond atrocity that passed for tennis? Vicki Nelson Dunbar and Jean Hepner. These two women set back women's tennis by a few decades by playing a single point that lasted 29 minutes and 643 strokes. Apparently they were both content to just get the ball back and neither was keen on showing any initiative and finishing the point off. Nelson Dunbar's coach (and brother), Jim Nelson, was quoted as saying that she was like a backboard and that one could never get a ball past her. Yeah, no kidding, Jim! I mean, 643 strokes?? If I'd been the umpire, I'd have had them both kicked off the court.
:lol: they were obviously trying to get their opponent tired (which probably got themselves exhausted in the process :devil: )

Bruno71
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:59 AM

Would it be unreasonable to wonder if the 2 did it to break a record? I just can't imagine how they both would come to the conclusion that a half hour point would be in anybody's favor.

Yasmine
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:11 AM
I thought players were on court to win a match, before thinking of breaking a record no? :scratch: maybe you're right Bruno.

samn
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:21 AM
Would it be unreasonable to wonder if the 2 did it to break a record? I just can't imagine how they both would come to the conclusion that a half hour point would be in anybody's favor.

I doubt it. The passive moonballing style of play aimed at just getting the ball back and hoping the opponent makes an error was far too prevalent in the 70s and 80s. As Virginia Wade put it, these women merely copied Chris Evert's style without having the gift of her tennis mind or her mental toughness. I don't care much for Big Babe tennis, but I'll be forever grateful that it at least prevents stuff like the Nelson/Hepner moonball-athon from happening again.

Bruno71
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:23 AM
I doubt it. The passive moonballing style of play aimed at just getting the ball back and hoping the opponent makes an error was far too prevalent in the 70s and 80s. As Virginia Wade put it, these women merely copied Chris Evert's style without having the gift of her tennis mind or her mental toughness. I don't care much for Big Babe tennis, but I'll be forever grateful that it at least prevents stuff like the Nelson/Hepner moonball-athon from happening again.

Yeah I remember it well...just not for a half hour :lol:. At some point one of the players usually over-mooned and hit it long. I guess there's a bit of stamina involved, at least mentally.

Slutiana
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:41 AM
So the answer is no?:o