PDA

View Full Version : Why are US Open finals always shit?

!<blocparty>!
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:13 PM
I was thinking last night... when was the last time we had a great US Open WS final?

The last time one went to three sets was like... 1996, right? Graf beat Seles in a pretty good match. ;)

What about 1980-1995? :shrug:

!<blocparty>!
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:17 PM
Hingis lost to Venus in three... that was 2000 or 2001, can't remember which, probably 2000.

Venus and Martina have only ever met in a US Open final once, back in 1997. Hingis won easily.

Oh, you deleted this post.

tennisfan5
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:20 PM
hingis only played venus in the '97 final, which didn't go three. You're thinking of the '99 and '00 semis. '94 Steffi and Arantxa was great & went three. and monica-steffi three setter was in '95

Shepster
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:21 PM
Oh, you deleted this post.
Yeah, wrong Williams (I was thinking of 99) and while I remembered the comeback it wasn't 3 sets. Don't understand how a final has to be 3 sets to be a great one though...

mckyle.
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:21 PM
Oh.

LoveFifteen
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:29 PM
Blame Stupid Super Saturday. Neither the men nor women have a day off between their semifinals and finals. It's stupid.

That being said, there haven't been many classic women's finals in the 2000s.

Matt01
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:32 PM
Well, people said the same about the FO finals, always shitty :p

But when I look that the finals of the US Open in the last years, yes they were not so great...the last final that could be considered good would maybe be Venus-Linds in 2000. But before 2000 practically all finals even back to 1994 (the final the year before in 1993 was lame), when Arantxa beat Steffi in dramatic a 3-setter, were good matches to me, of course with the exception of 1997 when Hingis beat Venus.

new-york
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:33 PM
because we always have some nice sf battles.:p

Cat's Pajamas
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:34 PM
At least the finals have a bit more respectable scores than the French. :tape:

That being said there hasn't been a thrilling match in quite some time. Maybe this is the year? :D

The 3 GS finals this year so far :tape: :help: :o

!<blocparty>!
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:36 PM
Yeah, wrong Williams (I was thinking of 99) and while I remembered the comeback it wasn't 3 sets. Don't understand how a final has to be 3 sets to be a great one though...

Well, name me some 'great' 2-set Slam finals.

sheyna
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:38 PM
I know it was not the final, but the last thrilling match I can remember at the USO was the Semi-final between Henin & Capriati in 2003! That was a thriller :eek: I think that was the last match that I found very exciting and nail biting.

!<blocparty>!
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:39 PM
I know it was not the final, but the last thrilling match I can remember at the USO was the Semi-final between Henin & Capriati in 2003! That was a thriller :eek: I think that was the last match that I found very exciting and nail biting.

Oh, ok.

Mikey B
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:43 PM
yeh it does seem that the semi's live up to more than the actual finals... but last year's final was good, both players played very well, the crowd was into it too...

the semi final between kim clijsters and maria sharapova of 2005 was awesome! probably the last time there was a high intensity, high quality, high drama, three set match at the us open...

Tennisstar86
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:52 PM
When was the last time we had any great finals at the slams? lol lets see

Venus def. Bartoli.... fairly routine even though Bartoli put up a fight
Henin def. Ivanovic
Serena Destroys Sharapova
Sharpova beats Henin (this was 2 sets wasnt it?)
Mauresmo def Henin....
Henin def. (someone in 2 sets)
Mauresmo def/ henin withdraws halfway through....
Clijsters def. Pierce in 2 sets easily
Williams has Classic battle with Davneport
henin def. Pierce in two sets (I believe Pierce said it was the worst match shes ever played
Williams def Davenport (It went three... but the last set was a bagel.......)

Face it... Finals are rarely great matches...

volta
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:53 PM
because we always have some nice sf battles.:p

oh yes the semifinals are usually :drool:

Uranium
Aug 21st, 2007, 11:34 PM

Henin def. Ivanovic
Mauresmo def Henin....
henin def. Pierce in two sets (I believe Pierce said it was the worst match shes ever played

Henin def. Kuznetsova

IceHock
Aug 21st, 2007, 11:41 PM
I think the thread title should be why are all GS Finals shit these days, U.S Open is still the most fun to watch.

Nicolás89
Aug 21st, 2007, 11:46 PM

Henin def. Ivanovic
Mauresmo def Henin....

you obviously didnt watched wimbledon 06 final.

!<blocparty>!
Aug 21st, 2007, 11:51 PM
I think the thread title should be why are all GS Finals shit these days, U.S Open is still the most fun to watch.

Yes I am aware that the recent WS GS finals have been pretty dire, but we've had what many people considered a 'great' Slam final just over a year ago. We haven't had a great US Open final in over ten years.

LeRoy.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:37 AM
Monica's 6-0 second set over Graf in the 1995 final :drool:

:sad: Still bitter about Monica not winning it 7-6 6-0 as she should have (ok i know the 6-0 would have been different had the ace been called correctly but i am a deluded Monica fan who can't let go :p )

sammy01
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:44 AM
yeh it does seem that the semi's live up to more than the actual finals... but last year's final was good, both players played very well, the crowd was into it too...

the semi final between kim clijsters and maria sharapova of 2005 was awesome! probably the last time there was a high intensity, high quality, high drama, three set match at the us open...

did you even see that match high drama yes high quality no way the first set was disgusting! even mrs consistent kim was spraying the ball everywhere! i have it on video and at one point the comentator says that someone sould tell sharapova that the courts 78 feet not 98 feet! it was horrible!

AcesHigh
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:44 AM
And some people want 5-set finals :tape:

sammy01
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:46 AM

:sad: Still bitter about Monica not winning it 7-6 6-0 as she should have (ok i know the 6-0 would have been different had the ace been called correctly but i am a deluded Monica fan who can't let go :p )

well i think the same too, so call me a deluded fan of miss seles that match was hers! :sad:

Tennisstar86
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:49 AM
you obviously didnt watched wimbledon 06 final.

I did watch it, it really wasnt that great a match..... It reminded me of Venus vs. Lindsay 2000... Venus' first GS. Decent match... nothing special....

goldlion
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:49 AM
Well I think AO final is always shitty, but not USO, in the past 2 years.

Amelie got a little bit of luck and Serena just steamrolled Sharapova.

njnetswill
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:50 AM
Venus-Davenport at Wimbledon was the last "great" GS final.

Finals aren't usually that good, but for a fan it can still be great when someone likes Clijsters finally breaks through, even if it was a slaughter.

Tennisstar86
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:58 AM
Venus-Davenport at Wimbledon was the last "great" GS final.

Finals aren't usually that good, but for a fan it can still be great when someone likes Clijsters finally breaks through, even if it was a slaughter.

I agree with that... It was nice to see mauresmo actually get to serve out and get her glory for winning wimbledon after the AO B.S. but not great...

cmonmasha
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:02 AM
did you even see that match high drama yes high quality no way the first set was disgusting! even mrs consistent kim was spraying the ball everywhere! i have it on video and at one point the comentator says that someone sould tell sharapova that the courts 78 feet not 98 feet! it was horrible!
how wierd sammy commenting on sharapova(badly of course)!!:eek: ..that match was awsome don't start criticising again:rolleyes:

njnetswill
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:05 AM
The Sharapova/Clijsters match was awful. I like both players too. Kim :smash:

AcesHigh
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:06 AM
how wierd sammy commenting on sharapova(badly of course)!!:eek: ..that match was awsome don't start criticising again:rolleyes:

it was awful.. so was Venus-Clijsters and I love both of those players to death.

DownTheLine21
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:07 AM
well i think the same too, so call me a deluded fan of miss seles that match was hers! :sad:

I have to agree as well.

cmonmasha
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:08 AM
The Sharapova/Clijsters match was awful. I like both players too. Kim :smash: why awful?? sharapova saving those match points in the 2nd set and winning it in a tibreak, and sharapova at 2-5 down and kim serving for the match ,did some amazing shots to win one more game. maybe it was not THAT great for u, but not awful

sammy01
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:08 AM

hey i dont hate sharapova i just tell it how i saw it kim was bad aswell! i've seen some of marias matches were she was playing great and beat another good player and made it look easy this was not one of them! it just dosen't compare in quality to sharapovas win over clijsters in san diego last year now that was a good match kim was playing great maria was just too good (oh and that amazing rally at set point for sharapova was just incredible one of the best rallies i've seen!)! :p

cmonmasha
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:09 AM
hey i dont hate sharapova i just tell it how i saw it kim was bad aswell! i've seen some of marias matches were she was playing great and beat another good player and made it look easy this was not one of them! it just dosen't compare in quality to sharapovas win over clijsters in san diego last year now that was a good match kim was playing great maria was just too good (oh and that amazing rally at set point for sharapova was just incredible one of the best rallies i've seen!)! :p
ok then..

sammy01
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:10 AM
The Sharapova/Clijsters match was awful. I like both players too. Kim :smash:

thank you im not going mad it was poor quality but very good entertainment! :kiss:

njnetswill
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:11 AM
why awful?? sharapova saving those match points in the 2nd set and winning it in a tibreak, and sharapova at 2-5 down and kim serving for the match ,did some amazing shots to win one more game. maybe it was not THAT great for u, but not awful

omg. :haha:

I thought we were all talking about the 07 AO semi. :o :tape: :lol:

Wow I need to start reading posts more carefully. :p

Sorry my bad.

Tennisstar86
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:13 AM
omg. :haha:

I thought we were all talking about the 07 AO semi. :o :tape: :lol:

Wow I need to start reading posts more carefully. :p

Sorry my bad.

lol that match was just aweful..... Kim was practically already pregnant and sitting at home...

cmon_masha
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:17 AM
haha I was talking about us open 2005:lol: ..but one of the worst matches I have seen was sharapova vs chakvetadze AO Qfs:tape: ..that was just awful

njnetswill
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:18 AM
haha I was talking about us open 2005:lol: ..but one of the worst matches I have seen was sharapova vs chakvetadze AO Qfs:tape: ..that was just awful

How is it possible that this is your first post? If you just posted above? :confused: Does that happen when your name changes?

sammy01
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:19 AM

agreed oh if only chakvetadze had been 5% better she would have won that was not pretty tennis but annas made up for it alot this year!

misael
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:26 AM

Me too, I still say that ball was in!

sammy01
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:36 AM
Me too, I still say that ball was in!

where was hawk eye then huh (dam why couldnt it have been introduce years back)! monica you was robbed!

hablo
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:54 AM

Henin def. Ivanovic
Mauresmo def Henin....

It was a great three-setter final, for me. :drool:

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:14 AM
The semifinals and some of the quarterfinal matches have been great though. :D

stevos
Aug 22nd, 2007, 04:54 AM
it was awful.. so was Venus-Clijsters and I love both of those players to death.

All I've ever seen you post on this forum is how crappy a match is. It's getting tired now. :rolleyes:

heytennis
Aug 22nd, 2007, 04:58 AM
We have had many amazing semis though! AO 2005, WIM 2005 etc.

cellophane
Aug 22nd, 2007, 04:59 AM

I actually enjoyed watching Venus-Kim on youtube a while ago, although, yeah, that was a bad match. :confused:

AcesHigh
Aug 22nd, 2007, 05:03 AM
All I've ever seen you post on this forum is how crappy a match is. It's getting tired now. :rolleyes:

Both were low-quality IMO. I've praised matches and players b4. Eastbourne final, the final last week, several Wimby matches.

I just comment on the topic :wavey:

darrinbaker00
Aug 22nd, 2007, 05:41 AM
Well, name me some 'great' 2-set Slam finals.
Wimbledon 1970: Mrs. B.F. Court def. Mrs. L.W. King 14-12, 11-9. I know you said "some," but that's the only one I could come up with.

austennis
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:24 AM
Blame Stupid Super Saturday. Neither the men nor women have a day off between their semifinals and finals. It's stupid.

That being said, there haven't been many classic women's finals in the 2000s.

What about Venus vs Davenport? Serena vs Davenport in 05 ??? what about Capriarti vs Hingis in 01 - how could u say that wasnt classic ?? :confused:

stefi62
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:29 AM
I just watched Navratilova-Austin USO final 1981, and that match was great IMO.

mankind
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:33 AM
Because they're fixed.

Chunchun
Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:43 AM
Becuase the girls love American food so they finish it fast to have dinner.

ALG : More Fried Chicken please. :D

hingis-seles
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:43 AM
Wimbledon 1970: Mrs. B.F. Court def. Mrs. L.W. King 14-12, 11-9. I know you said "some," but that's the only one I could come up with.

I've never seen that match, but from what I've read about it, it wasn't a particularly high quality match.

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:07 PM
high drama, long semis the day before and the next day have to come back to play after playing for the past 2 weeks really doesn't produce high quality, long finals

Kart
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:18 PM
The last time one went to three sets was like... 1996, right? Graf beat Seles in a pretty good match. ;)

What about 1980-1995? :shrug:

I don't think 1996 was that close - Steffi was just :worship:.

1995 was better. Before that I can't really comment on many but I liked 1990 :hearts:.

To be fair on the US open though, it has produced a lot of semi-final drama (albeit not necessarily quality) - JenCap-Justine/Elena, Hingis-Venus, Jankovic-Justine etc - in recent years.

Tennisstar86
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:20 PM
What about Venus vs Davenport? Serena vs Davenport in 05 ??? what about Capriarti vs Hingis in 01 - how could u say that wasnt classic ?? :confused:

I think they were talkin about the US Open..... as its the only tournament with semi's finals back to back....

freeandlonely
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:22 PM
USO 06 final good for me.

supergrunt
Aug 22nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
I agree witht the majority of the people here.The semis are usually long and drama packed and thoose make the players in the finals drained. Since 2004 every semi at the US Open has gone three sets and a few of thoose have been very intense and/or controversial.

Thanx4nothin
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:21 PM
Thye aren't shit, they just lack drama, the FO finals have been shit.

Tennisstar86
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:14 PM
Well...I predict this years final will continue to be S***..... whoever wins on the top half will take the title easy.....

sfselesfan
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
At least we're likely to get some great 4R, QF and SF matches this year.

SF

DownTheLine21
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:19 PM

SF

True. I'm excited for all of the potential 4R, QF, and SF matches of the top half.

Nicolás89
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:19 PM

SF

every slam is likely to have great 4r, qf and sf matches. :rolleyes:

NL

Geisha
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:21 PM
At least the finals have a bit more respectable scores than the French. :tape:

That being said there hasn't been a thrilling match in quite some time. Maybe this is the year? :D

The 3 GS finals this year so far :tape: :help: :o

Blame Venus and Serena. :worship:

sfselesfan
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:23 PM
every slam is likely to have great 4r, qf and sf matches. :rolleyes:

NL

Let's just say Venus v. Ivanovic will be a lot more appealing than Hingis v. Kuznetsova and leave it at that.

SF

faboozadoo15
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:25 PM
Let's just say Venus v. Ivanovic will be a lot more appealing than Hingis v. Kuznetsova and leave it at that.

SF

To whom?

If Hingis is healthy, she's the most entertaining of that bunch to watch.

And if you think Vaidisova vs Sharapova won't generate "interest", you're crazy.

sfselesfan
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:30 PM
Ivanovic/Venus is a GS final/semifinal level match. Hingis/Kuznetsova is a QF level match. That's my point.

SF

Nicolás89
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:33 PM

SF

in the us yes, worldwide it can be disscused.

and lets just say that seles weights more than venus, ivanovic, hingis and kuznetsova all together. http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u235/nolop/ja.gif

NL

sfselesfan
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:36 PM

and lets just say that seles weights more than venus, ivanovic, hingis and kuznetsova all together. http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u235/nolop/ja.gif

NL

Spoken like someone with a clear weight problem.

SF

Bruno71
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:39 PM
To whom?

And if you think Vaidisova vs Sharapova won't generate "interest", you're crazy.

Of course it'll generate interest. Now we know why Nicole has a different dress for nighttime play.

Tennisstar86
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
To whom?

I actually have to agree that the hingis match will be boring... but not because of Hingis... I've just never seen Kuznetsova play an intriging match.......

and I love seles.... but you underestimate the draw in power of Venus.....

Remember Venus and Serena are the reason we have night prime time matches for the womens final....

LeRoy.
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:26 PM

NL

[Ihttp://b5.img.v4.skyrock.com/b5b/akinom6060/pics/602463325_small.jpg

yep she is so overweight in this recent pic

:tape:
:weirdo:

Experimentee
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:44 AM
I think the recent RG finals have been worse. The last exciting one was Capriati def Clijsters in 2000, after that they are boring one sided affairs.

faboozadoo15
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:46 AM
Remember Venus and Serena are the reason we have night prime time matches for the womens final....

:spit: come again?

faboozadoo15
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:47 AM

Mon's lookin good. ;)

Tennisstar86
Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:01 AM
:spit: come again?

really? lol so you think its a coincedence that they announced the first womens final would be play at night after both Venus and Serena made it to the final.....? Coincedence that cbs...hopes one of them makes the final so increase ratings? lol maybe you have been drinking to much...

Nicolás89
Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:20 PM
I think the recent RG finals have been worse. The last exciting one was Capriati def Clijsters in 2000, after that they are boring one sided affairs.

you cant be serious that match was so erratic and ugly :o the score can be misleading though.

vw.
Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:59 PM

She looks really good!

Forehand_Volley
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:29 PM

Henin def. Ivanovic
Mauresmo def Henin....

I believe the '05 Wimbledon final when V. Williams d. Davenport in three tough sets was a great final.

I believe the '06 Wimbledon final when Mauresmo d. Henin 6-4 in the third set was a great final. All the classic elements of grass court tennis were displayed.

These two grand slam finals are probably the most competitive we've seen in quite some time.

mankind
Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:47 PM
Because they're fixed.

Wow, I said this even before the US Open draw was made. It seems the tradition lives on of rigged draws.

The US Open final will most certainly be shit, because whoever emerges from the top half, where all 5 favourites for the title are, will be so damn tired from having played and beaten the best out of Venus, Serena, Justine, Ana or Jelena, and Sharapova's one-dimensional game will get such a nice easy work out against less powerful/tall opponents, that either it will be a massive struggle for the better player (top half player) in the final, or Sharapova will just bash her way against a fatigued opponent to another title.