View Full Version : which is the worst grand slam

Expat
Aug 21st, 2007, 09:21 PM
for me the french
the matches bore me to death
all the winner does is bore the other player to make an error from the baseline

DownTheLine21
Aug 21st, 2007, 09:23 PM
In the last few years, the French has been the most boring because there hasn't been much competition (Henin cruising to each title).

Conor
Aug 21st, 2007, 09:24 PM
The US for me... not that anything is wrong with it, I just enoy the other 3 more

Tennisstar86
Aug 21st, 2007, 09:25 PM
Its alsways been the french for me... You never seem to get the electricity some of the other courts can generate... of course I hate playing on clay myself so.....

Expat
Aug 21st, 2007, 09:26 PM
this isn't particularly with henin per se
but the tournament as a whole
henin is perfect for that surface

Poova
Aug 21st, 2007, 09:27 PM
the French because I don't like the surface. Clay is just boring to watch aswell. :zzz:

Slutiana
there are so many threads on this:help:

-sugi-
The US for me... not that anything is wrong with it, I just enoy the other 3 more
The Australian for me, same reasons as above :shrug: :wavey:

Mark Spruce
US For Me

danieln1
Aug 21st, 2007, 09:28 PM
Wimbledon is the worst, then comes the french, Us open, and australia is the best slam

jonny84
Aug 21st, 2007, 09:38 PM
Australian.

Too early in the calendar. Always big names missing cos people havent recovered from the last season too.

Natalicious
Aug 21st, 2007, 09:57 PM
french for me

Lee-Waters
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:05 PM
French- the crowd think they are the stars and they always get into the player's heads :(

LoveFifteen
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:06 PM
Asking a true tennis fan "What is the worst Grand Slam?" is like asking people "What is your least favorite form of gold?"

A'DAM
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:07 PM
None I like them all!

Serenita
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:07 PM
FO very boringgggggggg

Tennace
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:08 PM
Probably the FO

AO- First slam of the year, always interesting to watch to see who starts the year off on a good note, plus it has a great atmosphere
FO- Long matches, and only good clay players usually win or make it far, the matches are pretty predictable, though some can be exciting
Wimbledon- Pretty predictable matches too, but there is just something about watching it that makes it seem better
USO- my favorite since I am able to go to it, and it has a great atmosphere

But I like them all, if I had to choose one though it would probably be the French Open, or maybe Wimbledon

shrOOf
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:09 PM
for me it's wimbledon. I don't hate it but I like the others more

Wayn77
worst:
Australia: only cause of the time difference - the matches are in the middle of the night for us. :zzz:

best:
French: - love the cut and thrust of two good clay-courters.

Uranium
US Open sadly, tiebreak in 3rd/5th set is dumb, but can be exciting but going past is 6-6 is fun to watch, i like USO though because i went there a few times and french because it's boring and Venus loses early sometimes.

LindsayRulz
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:10 PM
Rg.

Hayato
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:13 PM
worst:
Australia: only cause of the time difference - the matches are in the middle of the night for us. :zzz:

best:
French: - love the cut and thrust of two good clay-courters.

haha. And for Australians, 90% of the rest of the season is in the middle of the night for us...so we should dislike the other 3 Grand Slams :lol: I don't have a least favourite.

tobi
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:15 PM
Wimbledon.

Though I always enjoy watching every slam.

volta
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:15 PM
the fench i hate it i cant stand the crowd :rolleyes:

thrust
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:17 PM
Idiotic thread!

alexia1huff
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:20 PM
i never liked wimbledon, it's organization totally sucks and that trying to stick to tradition is pathetic. uo should drop the long breaks and music!!!

alfajeffster
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:28 PM
I've been lucky enough to have been to 3 of the 4 majors (which I chalk up to not being afraid to travel alone, cheaply and with hard-searched travel bargain tickets), and am hopefully going to complete my own personal slam next year at Wimbledon. From what I've seen:

1. The U.S. Open. Yep, I'm as American as the next guy- a veritable "Heinz 57" hodge-podge straight out of the USA melting pot, and I've been to Flushing Meadow pretty much every year from 1991 through 2001, when I stopped going. It's an easy trip (90 miles), but no matter how I try, I just don't enjoy the atmosphere. It's one big, over-priced, concrete mall, with cramped seats, long lines, and nearly impossible to get tickets for later rounds without breaking the bank. I used to be a USTA member, but have let my membership lapse largely because membership doesn't gain access to good seats for later rounds- just the same horrendous nosebleed Arthur Ashe super bowl seating which requires binoculars. And besides, the place is just plain dirty. Much better to sit home and enjoy the great match coverage on TV than to spend a day in the cesspool.

2. The Australian Open. It's hard to complain about Rod Laver Arena, or the facilities, or the people, so I just won't. It's terrific, relaxed, and very laid-back, and the crowd (yes, even during the 2003 Venus/Serena final under a closed roof while those without tickets were outside in 110 degree heat) is extremely knowledgeable and also appreciative of past champions. It's just not quite as cozy or enjoyable as my current favorite:

3. Roland Garros. I'm very thankful for having had the opportunity to attend in 2004 with a local, and I absolutely love everything about it- the competitiveness of the matches, the grounds, especially the Tenniseum underneath, and the beauty of the Paris springtime (and I first saw the grounds and the Tenniseum in January). It doesn't belong on my worst, it's the best for my not having been to Wimbledon, yet.

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:48 PM
All Grandslams Are Equal!!!!

LeRoy.
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:51 PM
I haven't watched a French Open match since 2005. I guess that means i like it the least these days but earlier it used to be one of my fave slams to watch. I wonder what changed :shrug:

Megkiss!
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:51 PM
French Open - Roland Garros

Tennisstar86
Aug 21st, 2007, 11:02 PM
US Open sadly, tiebreak in 3rd/5th set is dumb, but can be exciting but going past is 6-6 is fun to watch, i like USO though because i went there a few times and french because it's boring and Venus loses early sometimes.

yeah.. I agree it is dumb... They always says... and now the drama of a tie break... but tie breaks really arent that dramatic..... That being said I do love the night matches.....

!<blocparty>!
Aug 21st, 2007, 11:03 PM
I really don't wanna use the word "worst" in describing a Slam here. But I will say the Australian Open is the 'least prestigious' Slam, IMO (obv).

Harvs
Aug 21st, 2007, 11:36 PM
US... i love them all but.

ASP0315
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:43 AM
Wimbledon.
Rains all the time. Pathetic organization. Stupid traditions.(such as white dress code and no sunday play.)

sammy01
Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:49 AM
Wimbledon.
Rains all the time. Pathetic organization. Stupid traditions.(such as white dress code and no sunday play.)

i hate no play on sundays and the all white shitty dress code it takes the fun out of the outfits! but i dont think there is a worst they all have good and bad points! i also hate the final set tie breaker at the us open why stop a match when it could have 10 games more of nevers excitement and pressure, madness!

ZeroSOFInfinity
Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:24 AM
AO - The heat factor (which affects a player's performance) and starting very darn early in the morning.

FO - Long, long rallies and boring matches.

Wimby - Rain and the stupid tradition (no matches on Sunday? Whose great idea was that?)

USO - Starts only very late at night.

But still... I like all 4 GS ;)

Calypso
Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:34 AM
I love them all!

Order of preference: F.O > Wimbledon > U.S Open > Australia.

Calypso
Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:43 AM
All Grandslams Are Equal!!!!

But some are more equal than others!

RJWCapriati
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:08 AM
Wimbledon bores me usually....except for 2005.

roxi
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:50 AM
F.O = Wimbledon > U.S Open = Australia.
Cause this two I can watch whole day!!!

ilovepaszek
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:52 AM
French for me
Because the French always yelling
And always Justine WON and raining

Petersmiler
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:53 AM
The one my fave doesn't win of course. Then I will use this thread to prove that my fave is better than yours!

On a more serious note, I suppose for me it would have to be the Aussie, simply due to the timing and I don't get to watch that much of it.

Kai
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:58 AM
wimbledon for me

Mina Vagante
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:00 AM
french open.. watching clay court tennis can get boring

Shvedbarilescu
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:17 AM
The Australian definately provides the lowest standard of tennis simply because most players take a while to play themselves back in form after the winter break and also because playing in the 40 degree heat of Melbourne often isn't conducive to great tennis.

On the other hand, coming as it does after a period of tennis famine, by the time of the Aussie Open I am so starved of competitive tennis I end up loving this Slam as much as, if not more than the US Open and only slightly less than RG. Living in London as I do, Wimbledon will always be my favorite.

KV
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Roland Garros

mankind
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:49 AM
I think the real question here is, which is the worst thread on WTAWorld? THIS ONE :o

Bulgaria
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:53 AM
I think the real question here is, which is the worst thread on WTAWorld? THIS ONE :o

:yeah: