PDA

View Full Version : Eleni Daniilidou - a question

Declan
Aug 21st, 2007, 07:00 PM
Eleni Daniilidou is one of those players who seems to have been around for years, and I have to say I've never taken much notice of her. I was courtside at a surprising first-round defeat she had at Eastbourne in 2003 to Anna Smashnova (one of the only quality wins she ever had on that surface) and saw the whole of her 'upset' defeat to Mary Pierce at Wimbledon the following week, which pleased me as Mary's my favourite player and I was thinking of the quality points Mary would pick up for beating the 14th seed. But other than those two matches I must admit that I have given her scant attention or respect over the years. But I caught two of her wins live on holiday in Toronto last week, against Dulko and Camerin, and I warmed to her enormously. I've just checked out her career records and I am surprised to note her number of quality wins over the years: Mauresmo ; Seles ; Hantuchova ; Schnyder ; Bartoli ; Rubin ; Henin ; Chakvetadze ; Maggie Maleeva ; Martinez ; Capriati ; Dokic ; Zvonareva ; Safina ; Vaidisova ; Kuznetsova ; Petrova..... All impressive stuff, although admittedly they weren't all ranked at their highest when Eleni beat them. But she's obviously [I]good[I], so what has prevented her from being ranked higher than her 14 or 15 peak briefly 4 years ago? Has she been injured a lot? She's obviously a very strong, if a tad slow, player, and I have to say her court demeanour does her no favours -she seems to wear her heart on her sleeve and is always very obviously in despair when things aren't going her way- and often when thay ARE!! What do people make of her? Do you rate her at all?

Rocketta
Aug 21st, 2007, 07:14 PM
She never bounced back from a major injury, imo.

GoDominique
Aug 21st, 2007, 07:19 PM
so what has prevented her from being ranked higher than her 14 or 15 peak briefly 4 years ago?
Her horrendous serve.

crazillo
Aug 21st, 2007, 08:26 PM
She never reall came back IMO... She was much stronger.

cmonmasha
Aug 21st, 2007, 08:29 PM
is she a lesbo?:tape:

Rocketta
Aug 21st, 2007, 08:30 PM

is your mama? :rolleyes:

cmonmasha
Aug 21st, 2007, 08:36 PM
is your mama? :rolleyes:no she's not my mama, she's way too young! daaahhh!:tape: :help:

Poova
Aug 21st, 2007, 08:37 PM
Yes, she has short hair. That obviously makes her a dyke. :weirdo:

cmonmasha
Aug 21st, 2007, 08:39 PM
:help: Yes, she has short hair. That obviously makes her a dyke. :weirdo:
so krajicek is a dyke too?

Poova
Aug 21st, 2007, 08:41 PM
:help:
so krajicek is a dyke too?
GOOD LORD. I was being sarcastic you know. :tape:

cmonmasha
Aug 21st, 2007, 08:43 PM
GOOD LORD. I was being sarcastic you know. :tape:
I was joking with krajicek, but doean't eleni has something with her doubles partner?

forever_rafter
Aug 21st, 2007, 08:59 PM
Eleni is a very talented and gifted player who unfortunately has suffered from too many injuries over the years. But it's a miracle really she plays at all after a knee surgery which was a threat to her career. I love this girl and I still believe she'll come back to top20

Mana
Aug 21st, 2007, 09:19 PM
I love Eleni and watch her every year in Auckland. Maybe its just because its the start of the year, but she always looks as if shes a little unfit to me. But she was a great game to watch, except her serve ;)

Eleni :hug:

Jakeev
Aug 21st, 2007, 09:22 PM
Like some people have said, her two big weekenesses seem to be her movement on court and her mental toughness.

But before she got injured she seemed a lot better of a mover than I have seen from her the past few years.

Still, she at least has not lost a first-round match since the French Open so she is finding some consistency this Summer.