PDA

View Full Version : the wta tour has never been more open!

martin white
Aug 21st, 2007, 04:08 PM
in response to posts suggesting the wta tour is at its lowest point since post seles stabbing,i don't agree in my opinion the wta has never been as open[as in possible winners of majors] take this year alone you have three different champions at the grand slams,a player coming of injuries ranked in the 80's to win the ao, a suprise finalist at wimby in bartoli. even last year zi yan a qualie alt! reaches the sf of a tier 1 tournie bumping of two top ten players.this was not happening some years ago overall i think the depth in womens tennis has never been stronger!any thoughts?

goldenlox
Aug 21st, 2007, 04:11 PM
The last 5 majors had 5 different winners. I won't be surprised if it's 6 straight different slam winners at this USO.

LudwigDvorak
Aug 21st, 2007, 04:11 PM
It's not really that open. Venus, Serena, Henin, Sharapova, Mauresmo--they're the slam champions since the start of this decade, along with Myskina, Clijsters and Kuznetsova. I guess it's more open in the sense that roughly 10 women can win a slam instead of the two or three it was in years past, but...

heytennis
Aug 21st, 2007, 04:16 PM
It would be great to have Serena, Hingis, and Mauresmo healthy again. Then get Kim back from retirement. That would be a packed tour.

sfselesfan
Aug 21st, 2007, 04:31 PM
Even a little open is more open than it has ever been. Thank God for a thread like this. Those other threads are annoying. I suffered through decades of hearing sports writers, fans, pundits, and commentators saying how horrendous women's tennis was because the same women were in every final. We've now had years of events where every title is competitive and up for grabs and people have the nerve to b!tch about it!?! WTF?!? Women's tennis in decline...my ass. If you'd rather see Steffi and the seven dwarves again, watch the men's tour and shut up.

SF

Petersmiler
Aug 21st, 2007, 04:38 PM
Even a little open is more open than it has ever been. Thank God for a thread like this. Those other threads are annoying. I suffered through decades of hearing sports writers, fans, pundits, and commentators saying how horrendous women's tennis was because the same women were in every final. We've now had years of events where every title is competitive and up for grabs and people have the nerve to b!tch about it!?! WTF?!? Women's tennis in decline...my ass. If you'd rather see Steffi and the seven dwarves again, watch the men's tour and shut up.

SF

I think my world just ended. I agree with one of your posts! I think it's a fantastic time for womens tennis. We've got 6 multi slam winners playing, with the promise of a couple coming back. We've got newcomers knocking on the door, not only the ones in the top ten with a chance of winning slams, but also many who can cause upsets well into the top 30.

Let's celebrate!

jonny84
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:23 PM
It is a fantastic time for womens tennis.

Consider the men - there are only really three people tipped for the title - Federer, Nadal and Djokovic

Whereas for the women :

Sharapova, Henin, Venus, Serena, Ana and Jelena could all win the title.

sfselesfan
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:30 PM
Sharapova, Henin, Venus, Serena, Ana and Jelena could all win the title.

Agreed wholeheartedly, but you sell yourself short, I would consider that a very short list of actual slam contenders. The bench is VERY deep in the women's game right now.

SF

Shepster
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:31 PM
take this year alone you have three different champions at the grand slams,a player coming of injuries ranked in the 80's to win the ao, a suprise finalist at wimby in bartoli. even last year zi yan a qualie alt! reaches the sf of a tier 1 tournie bumping of two top ten players.this was not happening some years ago overall i think the depth in womens tennis has never been stronger!any thoughts?
But you fail to recognise that if fit the Williams sisters would win every single tournament they entered, so it is only *because* of them that it is open at all.

*gun cocks*

Can you Williams trolls please stop putting me in situations of duress?

:tape: :help:

sfselesfan
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:35 PM
But you fail to recognise that if fit the Williams sisters would win every single tournament they entered, so it is only *because* of them that it is open at all.

*gun cocks*

I'm a big fan of both sisters and I don't think they would dominate necessarily if they were healthy. The game has changed, for the better. The talent has never been this good. Almost every woman on tour is a decent all court player...which was not the case just five years ago. Times are good. Any top 50 player can take down a top 10 player on a good day. That's a good thing, not a bad thing.

Don't try to stir shit up where it isn't already...then have the nerve to call others trolls.

SF

Donny
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:38 PM
Every GS final so far this year has been a veteran beating the living daylights out of a younger player. So yea, it's open... all the way up to the semifinals.

Shepster
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:39 PM
IDon't try to stir shit up where it isn't already...then have the nerve to call others trolls.
Do you seriously think it wouldn't be coming? People can't write a post about Justine Henin or Maria Sharapova (neither of whom I particularly care for) without multiple trolls denigrating their achievements by continually pointing out the Williamses absence. Completely naive if you think this post would have been spared it.

Donny
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:42 PM
Do you seriously think it wouldn't be coming? People can't write a post about Justine Henin or Maria Sharapova (neither of whom I particularly care for) without multiple trolls denigrating their achievements by continually pointing out the Williamses absence. Completely naive if you think this post would have been spared it.

Pre-emptive trolling.... what a novel concept.

Petersmiler
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:44 PM
Pre-emptive trolling.... what a novel concept.

Who would win? Peak Troll vs Peak Pre-emptive Troll?

You decide.

sfselesfan
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:44 PM

Why ask for it? Ever think that's why the trolls come out and pounce on your posts?

SF

Kworb
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:45 PM
Agreed wholeheartedly, but you sell yourself short, I would consider that a very short list of actual slam contenders. The bench is VERY deep in the women's game right now.

SF
I think Chakvetadze could surprise us.. and you can never count out Lena D and Sveta. Even Nadia has a shot. That's 10 already. :) I love this era of tennis.

sfselesfan
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:45 PM
Who would win? Peak Troll vs Peak Pre-emptive Troll?

You decide.

It must be the weather or something today. :)

SF

sfselesfan
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:51 PM
Every GS final so far this year has been a veteran beating the living daylights out of a younger player. So yea, it's open... all the way up to the semifinals.

That's how the guards change. I think it's fun to watch. Those younger players will soon be pulling out wins against the veterans.

You can't judge the depth of women's tennis on the finals (and scores) alone. The fact that Bartoli could get to the final is a sign that women's tennis is strong. It's not like her opponents gave up or got injured. She was able to take out top players to get there. That's exciting. Who doesn't like to see an underdog fight and claw her way to the finish line.

It's not as if the same veteran woman continues to win every slam final. We've been treated to two winners this year coming back from long periods of not winning to shock everyone with GS wins.

I think a little perspective is on order.

SF

Shepster
Aug 21st, 2007, 07:03 PM
Why ask for it? Ever think that's why the trolls come out and pounce on your posts?
I don't recall too many trolls "pouncing" on *my* posts, except maybe when I had a different viewpoint on the word "fitness" a week or so ago (in which I praised both Williamses when questioned). Usually goes - someone posts on Justine/Sharapova, trolls enter claiming absence/weak draws, then I'll comment because I'm neutral on those issues as *none* of the top players appeal to me. I've made 2 or 3 comments like this in a month, they were all taken in the spirit they were intended up until this precise moment.

Donny
Aug 21st, 2007, 07:05 PM
That's how the guards change. I think it's fun to watch. Those younger players will soon be pulling out wins against the veterans.

You can't judge the depth of women's tennis on the finals (and scores) alone. The fact that Bartoli could get to the final is a sign that women's tennis is strong. It's not like her opponents gave up or got injured. She was able to take out top players to get there. That's exciting. Who doesn't like to see an underdog fight and claw her way to the finish line.

It's not as if the same veteran woman continues to win every slam final. We've been treated to two winners this year coming back from long periods of not winning to shock everyone with GS wins.

I think a little perspective is on order.

SF

Of course. But at a certain point,you must ask yourself: Will Ivanovic and Jankovic be beating Henin and Serena consistently mostly because of improvememnt of their games? Or is it because of the inevitable decline in Justine's and Serena's games? In other words, will the new generation of players reach Serena, Venus, and Henin like levels?

sfselesfan
Aug 21st, 2007, 07:13 PM
Of course. But at a certain point,you must ask yourself: Will Ivanovic and Jankovic be beating Henin and Serena consistently mostly because of improvememnt of their games? Or is it because of the inevitable decline in Justine's and Serena's games? In other words, will the new generation of players reach Serena, Venus, and Henin like levels?

I think that's up for debate. But when I watch tennis most of the players in the top 20 are as good as top five players were 5 years ago. The game is improving by great leaps. Don't forget that Venus didn't exactly pop out the womb as the #1 player in the world. She came on tour (late) in 1997 and didn't win a slam until 2000...after a long series of SF appearances. Serena won a slam in 1999 and then had a very long peiod with no wins. Justine took a while in her own way. Her loss to Clijsters in their first RG semifinal was very hard to digest...then she comes back to win a streak of them.

This is what I'm talking about when I say perspective. There's plenty of young talent if that's what you're concerned about. It generally takes time for them to mature, especially in the post-Capriati WTA rules era. Likewise there are a lot of talented veterans...which I particularly enjoy. I like that players can stay in the game longer.

SF

Slutiana
Aug 21st, 2007, 07:37 PM
US OPEN CONTENDERS:

1= Venus
1= Justine

3. Serena(injured)
4. Maria (im being nice, she doesn't have that much of a chance)

5=JJ, Ivanovic

JJ or Ivanovic would have to catch the top 4 on a baaad day to win. Its not THAT open. 2006 was much more open but the players failed to capitalize.

darice
Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:54 AM
while i want one of my fav's (who've won a slam before) to win it would be totally awesome for the tour if a first time champ is crowned at this year's uso. :)

go ana *cough* :bounce:

goldlion
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:07 AM
I think Chakvetadze could surprise us.. and you can never count out Lena D and Sveta. Even Nadia has a shot. That's 10 already. :) I love this era of tennis.

:help: I hope it's not by losing in the first/second round.

She should show her ability to beat top players and

not to enter Tier II events so frequently as a world no.6.

goldlion
Aug 22nd, 2007, 11:10 AM
I don't recall too many trolls "pouncing" on *my* posts, except maybe when I had a different viewpoint on the word "fitness" a week or so ago (in which I praised both Williamses when questioned). Usually goes - someone posts on Justine/Sharapova, trolls enter claiming absence/weak draws, then I'll comment because I'm neutral on those issues as *none* of the top players appeal to me. I've made 2 or 3 comments like this in a month, they were all taken in the spirit they were intended up until this precise moment.

Because people still don't believe a 6-time Slam winner and a 2-time Slam winner.

To them, the Williams sisters are always invincible and will win every tournament they entered.

supergrunt
Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:21 PM

*gun cocks*

Can you just shutup?In every thread you complain about them.

Thanx4nothin
Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:27 PM
I dunno I think the list of possible winners is smaller than some people are saying I think Venus, Ana, Maria and Justine are the only 4 with a chance at the US Open title this year. Serena has let herself go again, she'll come back a mess hitting every other forehand a mile long and rolling her backhand into the net. Can't see her getting past the quarter final unless she has a fired up performance like those in Australia.

supergrunt
Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:32 PM
I dunno I think the list of possible winners is smaller than some people are saying I think Venus, Ana, Maria and Justine are the only 4 with a chance at the US Open title this year. Serena has let herself go again, she'll come back a mess hitting every other forehand a mile long and rolling her backhand into the net. Can't see her getting past the quarter final unless she has a fired up performance like those in Australia.

:sad: