PDA

View Full Version : How Would Venus Williams Spend $1.4 Million?

Marcell
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:34 PM
http://nymag.com/guides/everything/usopen/36098/

How Would Venus Williams Spend $1.4 Million?

We asked the Wimbledon ladies champóthe first ever to receive the same jackpot as her male counterpartóto blow her prize money in a New York shopping spree.
By Sarah Bernard

Serena and I have an apartment in New York and itís not furnished, so Iíd get that done. I wouldnít design it myself; Iíd have the girls from V Starr, my design company, do it. Itís hard work! Iíd want a guitar for the apartmentóa Gibson J45 acoustic ($8,000 for a vintage 1955 model at Matt Umanov). And a purple Fender Stratocaster ($6,000 at Sam Ash). Serena plays, too, so Iíd get her a pink Fender Strat ($6,000 at Sam Ash). Weíd have fun. For my room, a custom king-size mattress would be cool ($10,400 at Duxiana), and sheets from Frette ($6,950 for a Helena Limited six-piece set) and a Frette bathrobe ($550). Every girlís got to have a bathrobe.

Once a year I go to Giuseppe Zanotti and buy all the shoes I want. Strappy shoes with big jeweled alligators or snakes or butterflies on them. I usually walk out with about twelve pairs ($7,800 for twelve). I keep them for life or until Serena steals some or my other sisters come and lift them. Weíre all pretty much the same size, my mom and all my sisters. Iíd also get my mom a shopping spree. Everything she wears is from St. John or Escada. So she could have a spree at both ($50,000). And Iíd get her a car. An Infinity QX56 ($57,960, fully equipped).

Right now I have three dogs. A Havanese called AorangióIíd just won Wimbledon when I got him, and the practice site at Wimbledon is called Aorangi Park. So he got named after that. And two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Harry and Winston. Iíd go to American Kennels and get another Havanese and another Cavalier King Charles. I love Yorkies, so Iíd get a Yorkie and a Maltese and a bulldog ($15,700 for five dogs). Serena has a Maltese and a Jack Russell. Iím always suckered into buying them bags and treats. I think the Juicy Couture stuff is really cute, though. Iíd get them each a bed ($975 for five at Juicy Couture) and some Greenies treats ($74.95 for five boxes at Petco).

Iím always flying. I used to not mind, but this year itís really wearing on me. Iíd get private jet hours from Net Jets ($1,176,069.30 toward 50 hours in a Citation Sovereign). That would help me so much. And a purple cashmere blanket from HermŤs ($2,025) to take on the plane. Iíve come to accept that Iím always cold.

Iím a really picky eater and I have a hard time eating enough. Thereís this diner called Route 66 that has the best breakfast ($16.75 for eggs, fruit, and granola). When Iím competing, I actually eat lunch for breakfast. One year Serena and I ordered in every day from Benihana before the U.S. Openówe just got into a groove. And we won. So for the two weeks of this U.S. Open, Iíd get food for both of us ($679). Also, Serena loved the earrings I wore at Wimbledon. A big pink stone attached to a row of diamonds that I got at the Belgium airport. Iíd get her a pair of earrings (cobblestone earrings, $2,000 at H. Stern New York). I was looking at a watch at Wempe. A Patek Philippe. Itís white gold and it has diamonds around a mother-of-pearl face (ladiesí annual-calendar watch, $48,800). Itís even prettier when you put it on. I looked at it but didnít get it. Iíll get it when I win another slam.

REALITY CHECK
What I Really Spent Today
Lunch from the restaurant across the street from my office. A tuna salad...$10
I bought gas for $20. I think. I didnít look.
Dolly Madison Zingers and a tangerine soda...$2.50
TOTAL: $32.50

V-MAC
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:42 PM

We asked the Wimbledon ladies champóthe first ever to receive the same jackpot as her male counterpartóto blow her prize money in a New York shopping spree.
By Sarah Bernard

Serena and I have an apartment in New York and itís not furnished, so Iíd get that done. I wouldnít design it myself; Iíd have the girls from V Starr, my design company, do it. Itís hard work! Iíd want a guitar for the apartmentóa Gibson J45 acoustic ($8,000 for a vintage 1955 model at Matt Umanov). And a purple Fender Stratocaster ($6,000 at Sam Ash). Serena plays, too, so Iíd get her a pink Fender Strat ($6,000 at Sam Ash). Weíd have fun. For my room, a custom king-size mattress would be cool ($10,400 at Duxiana), and sheets from Frette ($6,950 for a Helena Limited six-piece set) and a Frette bathrobe ($550). Every girlís got to have a bathrobe.

Once a year I go to Giuseppe Zanotti and buy all the shoes I want. Strappy shoes with big jeweled alligators or snakes or butterflies on them. I usually walk out with about twelve pairs ($7,800 for twelve). I keep them for life or until Serena steals some or my other sisters come and lift them. Weíre all pretty much the same size, my mom and all my sisters. Iíd also get my mom a shopping spree. Everything she wears is from St. John or Escada. So she could have a spree at both ($50,000). And Iíd get her a car. An Infinity QX56 ($57,960, fully equipped).

Right now I have three dogs. A Havanese called AorangióIíd just won Wimbledon when I got him, and the practice site at Wimbledon is called Aorangi Park. So he got named after that. And two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Harry and Winston. Iíd go to American Kennels and get another Havanese and another Cavalier King Charles. I love Yorkies, so Iíd get a Yorkie and a Maltese and a bulldog ($15,700 for five dogs). Serena has a Maltese and a Jack Russell. Iím always suckered into buying them bags and treats. I think the Juicy Couture stuff is really cute, though. Iíd get them each a bed ($975 for five at Juicy Couture) and some Greenies treats ($74.95 for five boxes at Petco).

Iím always flying. I used to not mind, but this year itís really wearing on me. Iíd get private jet hours from Net Jets ($1,176,069.30 toward 50 hours in a Citation Sovereign). That would help me so much. And a purple cashmere blanket from HermŤs ($2,025) to take on the plane. Iíve come to accept that Iím always cold.

Iím a really picky eater and I have a hard time eating enough. Thereís this diner called Route 66 that has the best breakfast ($16.75 for eggs, fruit, and granola). When Iím competing, I actually eat lunch for breakfast. One year Serena and I ordered in every day from Benihana before the U.S. Openówe just got into a groove. And we won. So for the two weeks of this U.S. Open, Iíd get food for both of us ($679). Also, Serena loved the earrings I wore at Wimbledon. A big pink stone attached to a row of diamonds that I got at the Belgium airport. Iíd get her a pair of earrings (cobblestone earrings, $2,000 at H. Stern New York). I was looking at a watch at Wempe. A Patek Philippe. Itís white gold and it has diamonds around a mother-of-pearl face (ladiesí annual-calendar watch, $48,800). Itís even prettier when you put it on. I looked at it but didnít get it. Iíll get it when I win another slam.

REALITY CHECK

:lol: I wish I was that rich

Thanx4nothin
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:43 PM
:lol: I love that she actually spent like 15 pounds in the day rather than her 1.4 million

sweetpeas
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:48 PM
Wow.......................

frontier
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I hope Vee isnt a spendthrift like that.

Marcell
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:00 PM
On their reality show, she was accused of being cheap.

mykarma
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:01 PM

By Sarah Bernard

REALITY CHECK
:rolls::rolls::rolls:

thetennisutopian
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:05 PM
I live for this thread. I would love to spend that money on everything that she's buying. It's nice to know that she has taste.

tennisIlove09
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:17 PM
haha, that's awesome. :D

venus_rulez
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Some of those prices seem ridiculous? Like really, is there any bathroom that is REALLY worth hundreds or thousands of dollars?

woosey
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:31 PM
she'd only get half of the prize money at the most - after taxes, paying agents, etc.

winone23
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:44 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @ what she really spent. I'm glad she is responsible with her money.

VenusSerenaBlvd.
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:48 PM
On the show I think it was Oracene being "cheap" with her money. Didn't she get mad that they had to pay a ton of money for food that wasn't that good?

Marcell
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:05 PM
On the show I think it was Oracene being "cheap" with her money. Didn't she get mad that they had to pay a ton of money for food that wasn't that good?

I was talking about the part when Serena went to look at a new Mercedes Benz and she mentioned that Venus was too much. She doesn't want to spend the money but she was eating potato chip in a $140,000 car.

I don't think Oracene was complaining about the money. She was upset that they wanted to charge them more because of their celebrity status.

Denise4925
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:12 PM
:lol: at the Reality Check.

Wiggly
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:23 PM
My dog LOVES Greenis. He's addict. :lol:

friendsita
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:33 PM
plop

SV_Fan
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:41 PM
venus said she is not into blowing money in her book she os cheap, she said it herself she is cheap.

vswfan
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:55 PM
she would love to spend 2 million dollars to buy a gold-diamond racket which she should have won at Antwerp.

©@ģeLess
Aug 21st, 2007, 12:24 AM

A big pink stone attached to a row of diamonds that I got at the Belgium airport. Iíd get her a pair of earrings (cobblestone earrings, $2,000 at H. Stern New York).

Belguim airport. Ok. Usually people say city, not the country, i hope she knows Belgium is a country. :lol: :lol: Maybe thats just the JH hate bit:lol: :lol:

Pureracket
Aug 21st, 2007, 12:29 AM
She truly loves her family. Most of her money would be spent on them.

Jean-Pierre.
Aug 21st, 2007, 01:37 AM
Facial reconstruction.

Pureracket
Aug 21st, 2007, 01:50 AM
Facial reconstruction. :yawn:

ptkten
Aug 21st, 2007, 02:04 AM
Facial reconstruction.

:rolleyes: After all the criticisms Jankovic gets for her face you would think you would be a little more sensitive

drake3781
Aug 21st, 2007, 03:00 AM
Nobody else finds that disgusting? :confused:

ptkten
Aug 21st, 2007, 03:44 AM

They asked her specifically how she would spend her money on a New York City shopping spree. It's not like she actually would spend her money on that.

Infiniti2001
Aug 21st, 2007, 03:49 AM

NO!! Not that this is what she did with the money, but so what if she did? She's earned it--- she has a right to spend it however she chooses :shrug:

Infiniti2001
Aug 21st, 2007, 03:50 AM
Facial reconstruction.

Take a good look at your avatar , before uttering those words in the future :tape: :help:

Tennisstar86
Aug 21st, 2007, 04:42 AM
lol...yeah Venus does seem like she'd be cheap....whereas Serena seems like she blows through money....

Pureracket
Aug 21st, 2007, 05:30 AM
Nobody else finds that disgusting? :confused:What? The fact that she said what she could hypethetically do with the money or the fact that you're kinda talking outta your ass right now?

servenrichie
Aug 21st, 2007, 07:14 AM
Dont be too hard on him. The gist of the whole article went swoosh over his head or intelligence for that matter:lol:

Kenny
Aug 21st, 2007, 07:15 AM
All her travel and stuff she can write off on taxes, right? I mean her job is playing tennis. I would be as extravagant as I could.. as the government takes a shitload from you when you're that rich.. hell when you aren't! lol

mykarma
Aug 21st, 2007, 02:15 PM
What? The fact that she said what she could hypethetically do with the money or the fact that you're kinda talking outta your ass right now?
:lol::lol::lol:

V-MAC
Aug 21st, 2007, 02:18 PM
Facial reconstruction.

oh the irony :o

volta
Aug 21st, 2007, 02:24 PM
Facial reconstruction.

looks at the avatar :spit:

GracefulVenus
Aug 21st, 2007, 04:47 PM
I hope Vee isnt a spendthrift like that.

She's a Gemini - of course she is!!! :lol:

Vlover
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:33 PM
Dont be too hard on him. The gist of the whole article went swoosh over his head or intelligence for that matter:lol:

I totally agree. Forgiveness on the grounds of ignorance goes a long way around here.

(Back on topic) Venus and Serena appears not to spend much on material things but seem to invest in sensible things like real estate and business ventures that can sustain their earning power now and after retirement.

!<blocparty>!
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:44 PM
The funny part is... she could totally afford to spend that much every day for like a few weeks. :o

Il Primo!
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:49 PM
lol...yeah Venus does seem like she'd be cheap....whereas Serena seems like she blows through money....

They look both cheaps IMO. When I saw the interior design of their house in Florida, I was like "ok :unsure: " : messy and tasteless. But it was back to 2002 so I hope they changed since then.

Marcell
Aug 21st, 2007, 07:13 PM
They look both cheaps IMO. When I saw the interior design of their house in Florida, I was like "ok :unsure: " : messy and tasteless. But it was back to 2002 so I hope they changed since then.

What do you mean by messy? Taste is very subjective.