PDA

View Full Version : Most Important / Prestige Grand Slam

baleineau
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Okay, with all the discussion about Justine and legacies and all-time greats etc., let's give our vote. Which Grand Slam do you think is the most important one. Which one, if you win it, will get you remembered most, but the public and within the tennis community. If you were sponsoring a tennis player, and were to give them money based on which tournaments they were to win, which one would you pay most for winning? It's all part of the same thing - which is the most prestigious event?

Over to you. Obviously there's no point in being dishonest about this.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Wimbledon
The birth place of modern tennis

French
For me the fact that so many great players are lacking a French open title speaks volumes

Us Open

A.O.

jonny84
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:37 PM
It has to be Wimbledon. Most players will want to win this one. Its the history, the grass, the setting and atmosphere.

If you were to rank the slams it would be:

1. Wimbledon
2. Roland Garros
3. US Open
4. Austalian Open

Part of the problem is that the Australian Open is too early in the calendar and shares "hardcourt" surface with US, which does make it hard to distinguish (although they are different types of hard).

Wimbledon is the best for sure.

Thanx4nothin
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:39 PM
1. Wimbledon
2. US Open
3. Australian Open
4. French Open

DA FOREHAND
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:42 PM
1. Wimbledon
2. US Open
3. Australian Open
4. French Open

No way is the French Open below A.O. in prestege.

Mikey B
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Ranking the slams... it has to be:
Wimbledon
US Open
Roland Garros
Australian Open

the french is only ahead of the aussie open because of its age... i think its the least important slam to win, as its had the most fluke champions, IMO. if you win the other slams, you're more likely to go on and win more. or at least be a contendor for more..

No.1Hingis
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Wimbledom

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:46 PM
how many times will this Q be asked ???

Wimbledon by a long long way
rest dont even come close.

Serenidad.
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:24 PM
I just want to say this. Which Grand Slam if you win it will you be remembered? No one remembers one-hit wonders, except in jest. You need to win more than one. I'd have to place my money on wimbledon for being the most important. Generally, most players define Wimbledon as the greatest. Except, clay courters. Generally, most former pros define Wimbledon as the greatest. But again, who gives about a one hit wonder?

Slutiana
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:27 PM
wimbledon

USO

FO

AO

-sugi-
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Wimbledon
Roland Garros
Us Open
Australian Open

tobi
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:45 PM
It isnt my favourite by any means but Wimbledon is the most prestigious slam.

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Wimby

RG

US Open

AO

sweetpeas
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:52 PM
1. Wimbledon
2. US Open
3. Australian Open
4. French Open

Poova
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:59 PM
This is done at least once a week. :zzz:

Wimbledon - US Open - French Open - Australian Open.

RJWCapriati
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:59 PM
U.S. Open

Bruno71
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:01 PM
prestige:

1. Wimbledon
2. Roland Garros
2. US Open
4. Australian

importance:

1. Australian
1. Roland Garros
1. Wimbledon
1. US Open

DefyingGravity
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Wimbledon is tops, no doubt, but then after that Roland Garros is a close second just because it's so damn hard to win. the U.S. Open is up there because of the money, and the Australian Open would be if it wasn't placed so weirdly. But, then again, it has the most one slam wonders as well.

Kworb
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:06 PM
All the same

Serval
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Wimbledon of course! :devil:

DarkchildSwiss
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:08 PM
wimby

Vlover
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:16 PM
There is no question that the most prestigeous to players, fans, non fans its: The Championships

The others is a matter of preference to players and fans alike. Personally the FO is the least liked and therefore I don't watch it as much. I don't enjoy the clay or the crowd as they heckle the players too much.:devil:

vadin124
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Wimbledon
The birth place of modern tennis

French
For me the fact that so many great players are lacking a French open title speaks volumes

Us Open

A.O.

also the fact that a few very average players have won the french open speaks volumes, i.e. Myskina, Gaudio

1. Wimbledon
2. US Open
3. Australian Open
4. French Open

~Carsten~
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Wimbledon far infront of each other!

01. Wimbledon
02. Roland Garros
03. US Open
04. Austalian Open

Petersmiler
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Wimbledon closely followed by RG.

And the point of repeating this ad nauseum is?

Chrissie-fan
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Wimbledon, but not by a long way like some are saying. If players had the choice of winning four slam titles I think that most would prefer to win one of each.

die_wahrheit
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Nonsense poll. Better ask which colour the tennis ball has.

die_wahrheit
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Good to see the French Open earn a respactable 2nd place in such a poll to the cost of this US thing.
And good to see that this Henin has never won the biggest one.

But don't forget: a poll concerning basic knowledge is nonsense.

Lunaris
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Wimbledon of course. No way Melbourne is more prestigious than any other Slam. Until 90's most top players had ignored that event. For example Bjorn Borg (imo the best player of all times) played it only once in his career. McEnroe only 5-times whereas US Open he never missed in his career - totally 16 participations. Chris Evert played Aussie Open only 5-times too, whereas US Open 19-times.

1. Wimbledon
2. Tied between RG and US, largely depends on the player. For the Americans US Open surely means much more than RG. Claycourters would place RG higher.
4. Australian Open

AllezH1
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Wimbledon.

USO

FO

AO