PDA

View Full Version : My Sunday at the Pilot Pen!

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Even though it's Monday now...anyway...

Virginia Ruano Pascual d. Raluca Olaru 7-5 3-6 6-0

Raluca had absolutely no business losing this match, and I'm a fan of Pascual. Vivi has a solid enough game and mixes up her shots well, but had absolutely nothing to hurt Raluca with. She basically let her self-destruct. Raluca has got a lot of game, but her shot selection is flat-out stupid at times. She'll go right for the lines when three feet inside would go just fine, go for an outrageous winner at the net when all she has to do is knock off a volley, etc etc. Raluca had two set points in the first set, one of which she had the entire court open and all she had to was knock off a volley...she then proceeds to take a huge swing on it and miss by about six feet. I didn't see the last two sets, but I'm assuming Raluca's shots went in during the second set and way out during the third. Depending on the draw, Virginia is capable of winning a round in the main draw IMO.

Tatiana Poutchek d. Naomi Cavaday 7-6 3-6 6-3.

I was extremely impressed by Naomi, even though she lost. She's a big strong girl with some serious power on her shots. Poutchek's groundstokes look really awkward and forced. She also acted like a complete twat throughout the match. I've never seen someone throw their racket after missing a first serve:rolleyes: Naomi looked to be in control after winning the second, but Poutchek took a looonngggg bathroom break and came out counter-punching extremely well. The crowd was extremely pro-Cavaday though, to the point that not a single person would applaud after Tatiana hit winners. :lol: Naomi simply needs to learn how to channel some of her big shotmaking and also needs to get in better cardio shape. She looked tired towards the end of the match and that contributed to a lot of her errors. She will certainly crack the top 100 at some stage though, without question.

Donald Young d. Amer Delic 4-6 6-3 6-4.

I saw the last five games of this match and it was horrendous. Not a single groundstroke or volley winner the entire time. It took Donald a few match points, but he finally won his first ATP match and you could hear the tidal wave of semen rushing from the USTA offices all the way to New Haven.

Vania King d. Tatiana Garbin 6-4 6-4

I don't know why Vania has been slumping so heavily, but she looked great today. She kept her error count extremely low, attacked at the right times, and showed a nice willingness to approach the net. Garbin was definitely have an off-day and just seemed a little bit out of sorts. She was up 4-1 in the second set and then just completely fell apart. Vania was absolutely beaming after winning this match. If she can play like this every single day, she's got the potential to reach the top 30. The only thing holding her back right now is the inabillity to handle power. If she's getting overpowered by Garbin, I can't even imagine how she's going to handle Safina.

Francesca Schiavone d. Patty Schnyder 7-6 2-6 6-4.

This match was absolutely FABULOUS. Unbelievable shotmaking, absolutely ridiculous angles, power, variety...these two were both playing in the zone today. The first set could've easily been the finals. I was so impressed with Francesca. There was no choking, no shots breaking down...they each held serve all the way to the tiebreaker and Francesca just got the edge in the end. Patty kept up her high level in the second set and Francesca fell apart a bit, then went down 3-0 in the third. Schiavone then took a medical timeout for her neck and shoulder...which Patty wasn't buying for one second and she made that abundantly clear. After the medical timeout, Schiavone was on FIRE. From 0-3 to 6-4, she had 15 winners and 7 errors:eek: Even though the crowd was on Patty's side, they were gasping at some of the shots she was hitting. At the handshake, Patty had a few words for Francesca about this displeasure with the timeout. I think it was taken at an opportune time, but at Patty's age and her level of experience on tour, she should be handling these situations much better.

As for Francesca, if she plays the way she did today, she could go extremely far at the US Open. With the right draw, I think the quarterfinals is in reach. She could beat anybody outside the top 4 the way she played today.

AJZ.
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Thanks for the report, glad you had a good time :)
That's Vivi's game, you know, force the error - and I'm not surprised it frustrated Ioana. She lost to Pin last week :p
Vania :) She's such a sweet girl :kiss: I think the pressure of having won Bangkok was big for her, and have the USA's hopes on her shoulders. I think when she gets over that and just plays her game, she'll get high into the singles charts, and higher in doubles probably too.

That's too bad about the gamesmanship in Fran's match, considering it was high quality like you say :sad:

Nice report :) I enjoyed it a lot.
Will you be going back??

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the report, glad you had a good time :)
That's Vivi's game, you know, force the error - and I'm not surprised it frustrated Ioana. She lost to Pin last week :p
Vania :) She's such a sweet girl :kiss: I think the pressure of having won Bangkok was big for her, and have the USA's hopes on her shoulders. I think when she gets over that and just plays her game, she'll get high into the singles charts, and higher in doubles probably too.

That's too bad about the gamesmanship in Fran's match, considering it was high quality like you say :sad:

Nice report :) I enjoyed it a lot.
Will you be going back??

I won't be going back to the Pilot Pen, but will be heading to the US Open Qualies on Tuesday.

justine schnyder
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:57 AM

This match was absolutely FABULOUS. Unbelievable shotmaking, absolutely ridiculous angles, power, variety...these two were both playing in the zone today. The first set could've easily been the finals. I was so impressed with Francesca. There was no choking, no shots breaking down...they each held serve all the way to the tiebreaker and Francesca just got the edge in the end. Patty kept up her high level in the second set and Francesca fell apart a bit, then went down 3-0 in the third. Schiavone then took a medical timeout for her neck and shoulder...which Patty wasn't buying for one second and she made that abundantly clear. After the medical timeout, Schiavone was on FIRE. From 0-3 to 6-4, she had 15 winners and 7 errors:eek: Even though the crowd was on Patty's side, they were gasping at some of the shots she was hitting. At the handshake, Patty had a few words for Francesca about this displeasure with the timeout. I think it was taken at an opportune time, but at Patty's age and her level of experience on tour, she should be handling these situations much better.

As for Francesca, if she plays the way she did today, she could go extremely far at the US Open. With the right draw, I think the quarterfinals is in reach. She could beat anybody outside the top 4 the way she played today.

that's just an ugly trick for Francesca, I would be much more impressed if she would won it from the double break down without faking injury.. she should be ashamed, it's not the way to win matchas..:mad:
Patty- I wish you would bagled her after that.. good luck at the US Open!!:worship:

Petkorazzi
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Glad to hear Francesca is in Good form :banana:

stefi62
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Happy to hear about Franci! :D

So Disrespectful
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Raluca! :sad:

Dexter
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks for sharing! :wavey:

jonny84
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Nice report. And I agree about Naomi - I watched her match live on Court #2 at Wimbledon this year against Martina. She gave as good as she got and outclassed Martina until the third set. Those missed matchpoints really put her off the match.

supergrunt
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:18 PM

I won't be going back to the Pilot Pen, but will be heading to the US Open Qualies on Tuesday.

The qualies are free right?

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:14 PM
The qualies are free right?

Yep, at least the tickets. They still charge you out the ass for everything else. I actually prefer going to the qualies over the main draw. You're always guaranteed a front row seat for pretty much every match and the action itself is a lot more high drama since the players have more riding on it.

Derek.
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Thanks for the report on Raluca. :wavey:

-sugi-
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:29 PM

Vania :yeah:.

tobi
Aug 21st, 2007, 12:40 AM
Thanx for posting ;)

Wayn77
Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:36 AM

You are absolutely right. Gamesmanship perhaps from Fran but no rules were broken - Patty with her experience should be able to deal with it. Is Schiavone playing that well? I haven't seen her play for ages - I wonder what's caused the turnaround.

Anyway great match reports: these are the kind I like to read - keep em coming.

iPatty
Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:37 AM
oh & thx 4 da reports!

In The Zone
Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:54 AM

I wasn't there. :confused: :confused: How could I have played them? ;)

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 22nd, 2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks for sharing your day...:cool: ...:bounce: