PDA

View Full Version : Seriously..!! WWW the USO??!!! (serious posters only)

Direwolf
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:36 AM
ooh.. im talking about USO 2007
based on their current form starting Wimbledon!!!

only Champions listed that has a decent chance
to take advantage of their given draw!!!
Justine Henin, Ana Ivanovic, Williamses, Sharapova, Chakvetadze

well i think that its in this order...
Justine Henin
Venus
Serena
Sharapova
Ivanovic
Chakvetadze

is this USO the most open ever??
not a single player has won 2 Tier II or higher titles...
its very hard to guess the winner...
your views??

Venus vs Serena going for their 3rd USO
Sharpie vs Henin going for their 2nd USO
Ivan vs Chaky goind for their 1st USO ...

im excited for this match-up...
hopefully atleast one of those matchups would be fullfilled...

AllezH1
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:37 AM
?

Odd. I wish you could form a sentence.

Donny
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:38 AM
ooh.. im talking about USO 2007
based on their current form starting Wimbledon!!!

only Champions listed that has a decent chance
to take advantage of their given draw!!!
Justine Henin, Ana Ivanovic, Williamses, Sharapova, Chakvetadze

well i think that its in this order...
Justine Henin
Venus
Serena
Sharapova
Ivanovic
Chakvetadze

is this USO the most open ever??
not a single player has won 2 Tier II or higher titles...
its very hard to guess the winner...
your views??

Venus vs Serena going for their 3rd USO
Sharpie vs Henin going for their 2nd USO
Ivan vs Chaky goind for their 1st USO ...

im excited for this match-up...
hopefully atleast one of those matchups would be fullfilled...

Both Henin and Serena have won a Slam and a Tier I.

The Daviator
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:42 AM
The form points to Justine, but I really don't think she likes the US Open :shrug: She's been in two finals but has never really seemed comfortable there, she likes the atmosphere at RG and W more...

Serena is injured :( I guess Venus has a good shot, but she has yet to really win big away from Wimbledon so who knows, and Sharapova isn't as good as last year, she was shaky even in the Cally events she played...

So I'll say it'll be one of the Serbs :p

Direwolf
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Both Henin and Serena have won a Slam and a Tier I.

sorry..
i was talking about the Summer lead up tournaments...

oooh..
and i think that the winner of this poll
would win the USO:bounce:

Vamos.
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Right now it is Justine. Someone has to step it up to beat her and I just don't know who:shrug:...

DefyingGravity
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Justine should logically win, but she's never liked all the raucous that New York can cause. She's kinda like Borg with New York.

Sharapova and Serena love the whole U.S. Open, New York vibe, but Serena might not show up, so Sharapova is the biggest front runner.

Ivanovic and Chakvetadze haven't played their best tennis yet at the U.S. Open, and they've got a lot to prove. Ivanovic wants to show that she deserves to be in the same breath as the rest of the top four, while Chakvetadze wants to prove that she is the player to beat this hardcourt season.

It's a toss up, but I'm going to go with the safety blanket that is Justine Henin.

Direwolf
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Right now it is Justine. Someone has to step it up to beat her and I just don't know who:shrug:...

Justine has just played with the pretenders this week
except for 2...
i think that her true competition
right now is somewhere
practicing for the USO...

and in the USO
Justine will meet atleast
3 of her main rival for the title..
if she get that far, and if they get that far..
no more the likes of Zi Yan/Petrova/Jankovic

as i read Ivanovics interview after in Wimbledon..
it seems to me that..
she really wants to get to that big stage...
she really wants to beat names to get there...

Cp6uja
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Jelena Jankovic is current WTA #3 and last year played semifinal at USO. She won this year two tier-I and finished USO hardcourts Series this summer at 2nd place (behind Sharapova).

So why she is not option in this poll??? How dare thread starter (sala_ryan) compare JJ (3rd USO 2007 seed) with Zi Yan who just enter in TOP100 and still must playing qualis if want to play at USO this year???

AllezH1
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Jelena Jankovic is current WTA #3 and last year played semifinal at USO. She won this year two tier-I and finished USO hardcourts Series this summer at 2nd place (behind Sharapova).

So why she is not option in this poll???

Mentally, she is weak as anything. Plain and simple.

Natalicious
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:57 AM
uhm i havent seen Ana play against Justine on US hardcourts so i dont know :p
but these 2 have a good shot IMO

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:13 AM

So why she is not option in this poll??? How dare thread starter (sala_ryan) compare JJ (3rd USO 2007 seed) with Zi Yan who just enter in TOP100 and still must playing qualis if want to play at USO this year???

I have to agree with you Cp6uja.

The creator of the poll asks for "serious posters" only yet he fails to include an "other" option. Therefore, he is imposing his opinion onto the other posters by limiting the options in the poll, and thus limiting the legitimacy of this thread.

Cp6uja
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Mentally, she is weak as anything. Plain and simple.Mentally, Anna Chakvetadze is maybe current best player in the world - but that is not enough to reach more than QF at slams - for more you need much more quality. JJ last year in USO SF lead against Juju 6-4 *4-2... can you even imagine Chaky against Henin in that position at this USO? AnnaC in last 10 slams have only one TOP20 wins(Schnyder) but she is "real contender" in this poll and Jelena Jankovic is not!? Why... because won Cincinati (best ranked opponent is #38!) :lol: .

Why all bookmakers give as "USO-2007 winner" odds less than 10 at Jelena and more than 20 (even more than 30) at Chaky? Because all they is creazy or just threadstarter is not so smart like he think?

I think Chaky deserve to be in this poll because she is realy one of TOP "dark horses" and deserve to be one of 10 options - but Jelena Jankovic WTA#3, YEC#2, USOS#2, USO2006-SF... is REAL CONTENDER and ofcourse deserve to be in this poll!

KoOlMaNsEaN
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Justine is the favorite no doubt. Can't really see someone who can beat her there unless a healthy Serena or Masha can come along and hit her off the court. We'll see

Forehand_Volley
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:35 AM
The form points to Justine, but I really don't think she likes the US Open :shrug: She's been in two finals but has never really seemed comfortable there, she likes the atmosphere at RG and W more...
That's a great point to discuss. Henin doesn't enjoy the USO or Miami as much as other venues for similar reasons. Heat and humidity in my opinion. Its also a lot further for her to travel. Henin does seems more comfortable training in Europe, rather than the states during the summer.

Should Henin's shoulder not bother her too much (she was serving bombs at Jelena today) she has to be the favorite after her Tier I win in Toronto over Jankovic.

The last time Henin won Toronto, she went on to win the USO in 2003. And I'm sure people haven't forgotten the Capriati-Henin Semifinal that year. It was one of the rare times Henin cramped during a three-set match.

DefyingGravity
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:40 AM
It was one of the rare times Henin cramped during a three-set match.

Very true. The other time, it was Davenport in that same year...7-7 in the third set.

Bruno71
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:45 AM
I'll always hope that Justine can get over her recent late-Slam issues (not including RG of course) and win one. But I can't say I'm very optimistic. I wouldn't at all be surprised if Maria repeats, though I hope Justine can prevent that.

faboozadoo15
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:47 AM
Maria, Justine, Maria.......... Oy.
I think they'll be in the final again.
It'll be tougher this year because Maria won't be getting so many cheap points on her serve unless she has some divine revelation.
But I think her strokes are ready to step up in bigger ways.

Donny
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:48 AM
I'm hoping Serena can play, so she can win another US Open trophy. It's been too long.

DownTheLine21
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:51 AM
The winner of the 2007 US Open will be one of the following five: Henin, Venus, Serena, Ivanovic, Sharapova. Jankovic plays well on the hardcourt, but I think she'll repeat her SF performance at best.

woosey
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Mentally, Anna Chakvetadze is maybe current best player in the world - but that is not enough to reach more than QF at slams - for more you need much more quality. JJ last year in USO SF lead against Juju 6-4 *4-2... can you even imagine Chaky against Henin in that position at this USO? AnnaC in last 10 slams have only one TOP20 wins(Schnyder) but she is "real contender" in this poll and Jelena Jankovic is not!? Why... because won Cincinati (best ranked opponent is #38!) :lol: .

Why all bookmakers give as "USO-2007 winner" odds less than 10 at Jelena and more than 20 (even more than 30) at Chaky? Because all they is creazy or just threadstarter is not so smart like he think?

I think Chaky deserve to be in this poll because she is realy one of TOP "dark horses" and deserve to be one of 10 options - but Jelena Jankovic WTA#3, YEC#2, USOS#2, USO2006-SF... is REAL CONTENDER and ofcourse deserve to be in this poll!

:haha: you must be 12 saying stuff like this. chak cries on the court all the time.

moreover, neither jj nor chak have done all that well in the slams. one or two semis isn't enough. i'd give ivanovic a beter chance than either of them.

PamShriver
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:17 AM
I went out on a limb and picked Ivanovic. I had not been impressed with this girl at all until Wimbledon this year. I thought that her RG opened up a bit (I don't think Sharpie was that tough an opponent for her at that time on that surface), but she really impressed me at Wimbledon. But it was L.A. that sealed the deal for me and showed me that she just might be able to take that next step (I thought that Jelena would do it first but now not so much) and push through to a Slam title.

Henin's performances at Wimbledon and last years U.S. Open really bothered me, she's not nearly as tough mentally as I thought she was, she can definitely win and is probably the favorite but it's been a while since she's put it all together at a Slam outside of Roland Garros (still an amazing champion and a great record there) and I think she might have confidence issues in New York (it sure looked that way last year against Sharpie).

Sharpie, Venus and Serena are the wildcards, IMO. What is going on with Sharpie physically? She seemed to be getting back on board this summer but I don't know if she had enough match play to shoot her confidence back up to where it was at this time last year. I was really shocked by Venus' loss to Chaky and I think that she is the most vulnerable early, if she's in the second week I would pick her to take the title. If Venus DOES make it to the second week the only player I can picture beating her would be Serena, but who knows what's going on with Serena. These two could both crash and burn in the first week or both wind up playing the final. They are that good.

Still, for now my money is on Ivanovic to break through.

DownTheLine21
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Still, for now my money is on Ivanovic to break through.

Same here. Also, it would be fantastic for the sport if one of the "young guns" could win a GS this year.

thetennisutopian
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Regardless of the poll I still think that JJ has a chance. I personally think that Ivanovic and Jelena are in the same boat. Had Jelena been in the bottom half of the RG draw and had Sharapova in the semis there's no doubt in my mind that she would have been in the final.

I do think that Henin can actually win this thing. I'm hoping that the, IMO, long shot Venus can pull through and make a run for the title but I just don't know anymore with her.

I'm putting my money on Henin or Serena.

selyoink
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:39 AM
I'll take Justine to win it though I always pick her to win every slam.

faboozadoo15
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:41 AM
Regardless of the poll I still think that JJ has a chance. I personally think that Ivanovic and Jelena are in the same boat. Had Jelena been in the bottom half of the RG draw and had Sharapova in the semis there's no doubt in my mind that she would have been in the final.

:confused: So she could have lost in the final instead of the semifinals?

heytennis
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:46 AM
I have no idea. There are so many contenders: Serena, Venus, Henin, Sharapova, Jankovic, Ivanovic etc. Then there are longshots like Kuznetsova, Chakvetadze and Vaidisova.

Hantu515
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:46 AM
the likely final would be a some combination of Justine Maria or Venus from there I dunno

mankind
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:26 AM

True, but I think anyone could have beaten Sharapova - it was ridiculous enough that she made the semis.

justine schnyder
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:07 AM
I don't think Sharapove will win this year with the Serbs around, but I don't think one oif them will win either..
Even though she didn't play at the US Open series at all, I think Serena will reach at list the finals, because of her determenation, the home crowd, and she just loves it there, Venus has great chance too if she play like she did at Wimbledon (from the quaters..)and Henin can go far too if the shoulder injury won't be that bad, and she won't meet williams at the early stages..
from those I wrote who can win, I hope henin will..

thetennisutopian
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:35 AM
:confused: So she could have lost in the final instead of the semifinals?

Hell yea. She would've been easily dispatched by Henin either way.

True, but I think anyone could have beaten Sharapova - it was ridiculous enough that she made the semis.

Yes I agree with that, but to consider Ivanovic over Jankovic on the basis of Ivanovic's RG run is absurd. I'm not saying that she didn't deserve to make it there because she played well... but JJ has a few notches under her belt too. It may not exactly be a GS final, but she is more than qualified to be a front runner at the USO.

Sexysova
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:49 AM
I think that Henin will win it but I hope Nicole will win it :)