PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry, but Jankovic will never win a slam

husse
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:52 PM
You cannot win a slam with defence. The first slam (and only) Clisters changed her game, she won the US Open!!

She can beat a couple of players with defence, but there are too many good offense players in slams.

Henin beating her today was so obvious, I could have bet my house that she would win today.

munaz
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:58 PM
you can never rule a player out plus anything can happen in one slam, but she sure needs to become way more agressive and improve her mental game. the girl loses focus so easily its riddiculous(sp). my 2 year old nephew has better concentration. didn't miskina at wimbledon 2006(?) make some remark about how she was so focused on her appearance and dress or something?

husse
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Youre right, it's too early maybe, but people in here think she is the best player ever, when she clearly has not achieved anything yet.

Zweli
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Don't really know what to say about her,she's complicated,when she played Tatiana she was bashing the ball,solid ground strokes,today,complete different.Losing to Justine who played rubbish match is just soo ridiculous.I'm sure Tati would have beaten Justine convincingly.She wins tournaments without Justine,therefore will in future win a Slam in the absence of Justine.

partbrit
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I'm pretty sure she will.

njnetswill
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:25 PM
How exactly did Conchita Martinez win Wimbledon? I only saw her play near the end of her career, but she didn't seem to be Miss Offense herself. Did she play at net a lot during her Wimbledon run?

Kampi
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Youre right, it's too early maybe, but people in here think she is the best player ever, when she clearly has not achieved anything yet.

Believe me, no one here has ever stated things like that. Not even her strongest supporters and fans did this. And when you take a look at my avatar, you know that I'm one of them.

LindsayRulz
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:29 PM
It was Anna Chakvetadze at the beginning the summer, and now it's Jelena's turn to have all these hate threads.

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:34 PM
How exactly did Conchita Martinez win Wimbledon? I only saw her play near the end of her career, but she didn't seem to be Miss Offense herself. Did she play at net a lot during her Wimbledon run?

She played out of her mind that day.
She sliced, diced, and passed Navratilova.
Navratilova has still never forgotten that day, she jokingly called Martinez a bitch in a special about Martina 3 years ago.

Sefo
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:41 PM
She has way too much respect for Justine. She applauded Justine's best winners, making her even more confident.
Regarding slams, I don't think so.

©@®eLess
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:47 PM
like we care what u think...pfff

mankind
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Henin beating her today was so obvious, I could have bet my house that she would win today.

MacEnroe said he would have bet his house on Henin beating Bartoli at Wimbledon as well my friend....

Anyone who knows tennis knows crazy things can happen. Lord, if Bartoli can reach a slam final, Jankovic can certainly do the same, and probably have better chance at winning. Crazier things have happened than that.

Sleepwalker64
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:51 PM
and one day...you will lose your house

husse
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:08 AM
She has way too much respect for Justine. She applauded Justine's best winners, making her even more confident.
Regarding slams, I don't think so.

Yeah, whats up with that! Not only did she clap today, she claps every time an opponent does something good.
I'm not saying its a bad thing, but she does it way too often.

danieln1
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:09 AM
When Maria, Justine, Serena, Venus, Hingis, Petrova, Mauresmo, Vaidisova retire, then she might win! hahahaha

dansnewbeg
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:10 AM
I like watching her, but I have to agree. Mentally something isn't quite there... yet.

Chrissie-fan
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:11 AM
She will win one eventually. It's only a matter of time.:)

~Eclipsed~
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:16 AM
She's young. She still has time to get more mentally tough, agressive, etc. Her mental side is her biggest handicap right now. I don't think there should be any question about her game allowing her to win a slam. If she was mentally stronger and played her game, for sure she has a good shot to win a slam.

Chrissie-fan
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:16 AM
:lol: Well, she's definitely not the best player ever, but I wouldn't say that she hasn't achieved anything yet. I'm sure that 99% of the players would be glad to trade careers with her.;)

partbrit
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:19 AM
I think her talent is extreme. There is some mental growth still to come, and she needs to work on her serve. But for the most part, her game blows me away, and I'm proud to be her fan.

MagicMilan
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:41 AM
When Maria, Justine, Serena, Venus, Hingis, Petrova, Mauresmo, Vaidisova retire, then she might win! hahahaha
This year
vs Henin 0-5
vs Sharapova 1-0
vs Serena 0-1
vs Venus 2-0
vs Vaidisova 2-0
vs Petrova 0-0 (3-2 for JJ overall)
vs Mauresmo 1-1
vs Hingis 2-0
Yeah, she needs everybody to retire :cuckoo:

Kworb
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Arantxa Sanchez Vicario was in 12 Slam finals and won four of them

MagicMilan
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:48 AM
:lol: Well, she's definitely not the best player ever, but I wouldn't say that she hasn't achieved anything yet. I'm sure that 99% of the players would be glad to trade careers with her.;)
This is the problem. No one ever said, not even her die hard fans ever said that she is the best in the world. Someone starts this kind of crap and everybody starts to believe it :help:

faboozadoo15
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:48 AM

SHe didn't miss a single passing shot for 2 weeks.

faboozadoo15
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:52 AM
and one day...you will lose your house

:haha: Just might happen.

The thing is, I don't think Jelena is the type of player who will ever win 2 or 3 leadup tournaments to a major, be the oddsmakers' favorite, and storm that major title in the way it happens so often.

What makes Jelena so different is that she's continuously knocking on the door to a major win, and she's always healthy. She's been two matches away from winning a major a few times already, and she seems to be improving slightly. She'll be the first to admit that she'll need a little luck or to play 1 or 2 of the matches of her life to get her major, but she's accustomed to doing it the hard way. I think to rule her out would be a mistake. It's like the people who called (or still call) Maria "semipova". Sooner or later, a driven player will get that important win.

husse
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Thats a different era. Dont include people like Conchita or Arantxa, because they played a whole different game then.

DownTheLine21
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:58 AM
:haha: Just might happen.

The thing is, I don't think Jelena is the type of player who will ever win 2 or 3 leadup tournaments to a major, be the oddsmakers' favorite, and storm that major title in the way it happens so often.

What makes Jelena so different is that she's continuously knocking on the door to a major win, and she's always healthy. She's been two matches away from winning a major a few times already, and she seems to be improving slightly. She'll be the first to admit that she'll need a little luck or to play 1 or 2 of the matches of her life to get her major, but she's accustomed to doing it the hard way. I think to rule her out would be a mistake. It's like the people who called (or still call) Maria "semipova". Sooner or later, a driven player will get that important win.

I completely agree. Jankovic will always be a threat, but never the favorite. She will never dominate a season, like Clijsters or Davenport, and go into a major as the favorite.

Volcana
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Thats a different era. Dont include people like Conchita or Arantxa, because they played a whole different game then.If you're going to start threads with comments like 'You can't win a slam with defense', following it up with 'not counting all the players that did it' is pretty lame. Sanchez-Vicario won the French less than ten years ago, hardly an eternity. Further, by her own description, Jennifer Capriati was a defensive player. So now we're up to 2002.

As for Jankovic winning a slam. She's 22. Navratilova was 23 when she won her first. She won a couple more after that. Jankovic's problem is she has Evert's Disease. She's allergic to the net. When an opponent hits a short weak shot up the middle, she's not yet capable of capitalizing and going to net to finish the point off. If she learns to volley as well as Venus, who certainly hasn't the best technical volley on the tour, that would be more than sufficient.

goldlion
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Oh, she surely has won a slam, but the cheapest one and a non-single one. Does that count?

Justine completely owns Jelena. It used to be 3-setters, but now it's only 2-setters.

Does that mean anything? Is Jelena's confidence gone when facing Justine?

Just like when Sharapova faces the Williams?

faboozadoo15
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:15 AM
:sad: But Jennifer Capriati never won a major with her defense. It was with her inspired offense that she was able to overwhelm her opponents with when she actually WON majors. Jennifer could really hit EVERY shot, so it's easy to see why she'd get confused. She was always a huge contender and played her best at majors though, for sure.

Maybe Jankovic needs to really take it to players to get that major under her belt.

Modiac.
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:16 AM
I don't think Jelena plays defensive tennis. :o
And she will win a slam soon. ;)

Sleepwalker64
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:17 AM
It's all up to her. Last year, I don't know how many of you had heard her name. Look what she had done in one year.

Serenidad.
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:18 AM
Screw her defense. Her first serve is I wanna say decent, but barely that. Her second serve is just AWFUL. It sits up and just begs for a Davenport type smack. People buy into these players soo early. These new fresh faces and just overlook everyone else. She is obviously a good player, but most of her losses and troubles is because of that serve.

I can't say she'll never win a slam. Look @ some of the previous one-hit wonders that won with a good draw, and they had less talent than Jelena. She's definately not impressive to me. Sure, she is number 3 in the world. HOWEVER, she's number 3 playing like 25 tournaments a year. Serena is number 8 playing 8 tournaments. Justine is number 1 playing only like 15. She's the Davydenko of the women's side -- plays almost every week to pad her ranking. Never peaks @ the slams, always loses against the bigger players in the biggest stages, but still a good player.

Sleepwalker64
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:21 AM

This is not a Ronaldinho forum:rolleyes:

sammy01
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:22 AM
ok for starters clapping the opositions great shots was mary trick but she did it better she would do it to totaly dismiss a shot from her mind and to sort of say great shot, im the better player but you can have your odd moment of glory! as for her winning a slam yes she will im not a fan but i think she will she will need a good draw a bit of luck and to be playing well! jankovic has a hige mental block against henin she will beat her probably next year!

Harvs
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:24 AM
ur a moron... it was so close. eugh, stupid comment

MagicMilan
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Screw her defense. Her first serve is I wanna say decent, but barely that. Her second serve is just AWFUL. It sits up and just begs for a Davenport type smack. People buy into these players soo early. These new fresh faces and just overlook everyone else. She is obviously a good player, but most of her losses and troubles is because of that serve.

I can't say she'll never win a slam. Look @ some of the previous one-hit wonders that won with a good draw, and they had less talent than Jelena. She's definately not impressive to me. Sure, she is number 3 in the world. HOWEVER, she's number 3 playing like 25 tournaments a year. Serena is number 8 playing 8 tournaments. Justine is number 1 playing only like 15. She's the Davydenko of the women's side -- plays almost every week to pad her ranking. Never peaks @ the slams, always loses against the bigger players in the biggest stages, but still a good player.
If she wouldn't play for the rest of the season, she would have 20 tournaments and 3115 points, still enough for no.3 :D Stop with this playing too much crap, that doesn't influence her ranking. She's playing consantly good, 4 titles, 3 finals, 5 more semifinals. Is that enough for you? :wavey:

husse
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Arantxa and Conchita didnt have to face powertennis!
And Capriati is a Counterpuncher, as she always used opponents power to hit even harder balls.

The issue with Jankovic is her counterpunching isnt as good as it needs to be. She gets the ball back but the position for her opponent gets better and better every time.
Ivanovic took advantage of that in LA

sammy01
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:39 AM
iva majoli need i say more!

Tennisstar86
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:05 AM
If she wouldn't play for the rest of the season, she would have 20 tournaments and 3115 points, still enough for no.3 :D Stop with this playing too much crap, that doesn't influence her ranking. She's playing consantly good, 4 titles, 3 finals, 5 more semifinals. Is that enough for you? :wavey:

She does play too much..... but i dont think its helping her as much as its hurting her..... I mean once she gets into the end of a major past the nobodies to the real palyers.... shes tired..... A LA french open... Mentally or physically....If Jankovic is to win a major i think she needs to play fewer tournaments. Currently ithink she'll follow the path of Dokic... or maybe she'lll do a Mauresmo be at the top for years finally win one at 27 and then seem to have lost her drive for tennis....

For me at least at this stage it seems like everyone will have to lose early and JJ just be the only person left in the draw for her to win.

cnelson575
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Jelena game is not the problem, its her mental toughness. The only thing about her game that
needs to change is her serve. Most of her losses to Henin have been about her lack of mental
toughness

Scotso
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:23 AM
With the tour as week as it is now, there are a lot of players that could win a slam. Jankovic is one of them.

But she does seem to implode under the big pressure at times.

2moretogo
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:42 AM
With all of the injuries in the WTA, she may very well be able to get a lucky draw. However, she's going to need to bring it in a grand slam final.

thetennisutopian
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:23 AM
I don't think Jelena plays defensive tennis. :o
And she will win a slam soon. ;)

I agree.

IDK why all the negativity with this. She CAN win a slam. She has the game for it. If Clijsters can win one... and mind you JJ is not even as defensive as Clijsters. It seems like whenever I watch a Clijsters match, SHE'S ON THE RUN ABT 90% OF THE TIME FOR NO REASON. A baby can play offensive tennis against Clijsters. Jelena can definitely do it... I'm rooting for her so only time will tell.

brent-o
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:36 AM
I usually try to be respectful of people's differing and often idiotic opinions on this board, but I must point out that Clijsters' and Jankovic's games are not defensive players. They defend well but their good groundies and all-around game show that they're not your average baseline pusher (like Peer, Hewitt, etc.). Besides, she'll win a Slam and gasp if she has an off day, she'll always be able to run like hell to get everything back, unlike certain other top player big hitters who don't have a plan B and have no defense at all to rely on. If their rhythms off, so is their chance of winning.

rrfnpump
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:22 AM
First thing is she needs to stop playing every week. She seemed to be tired in every slam she played this year. Then she has to improve her serve and her forehand. Then she has to learn beating Henin and Ivanovic. And then she might win a slam.

I dont think she will in the nearer future though.

rada
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Jelena has a great game one of the best out there and she will win a slam ;)

thetennisutopian
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:27 AM
First thing is she needs to stop playing every week. She seemed to be tired in every slam she played this year...

I have to agree with that. Jelena's schedule is a bit reckless.

A Magicman
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Why is everyone pecking on Jelena that she will not win a GS?

Nobody expects to win a slam (anymore) from Igor, from Petrova, from Hantuchova and one hundred other girls.

Jelena is a very good contender but she is lacking the final kick. Being a fan, I don't deny that.

She played a close match against Henin yesterday, but I never thought she could win that one as Henin is simply the best player that has ever been and it's so hard to pass those in order to win.

In my opinion, there's only 4 or 5 girls who are capable of winning a GS at the moment and that's perfectly normal. That's Henin and Pova plus (if she is in shape and not injured) Serena, on grass oviously Venus and then as the hot talk in town Ivanovic with her impressive powerful game. That's it. Nobody else. No Jelena.

thetennisutopian
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:40 AM
I will gag if Jelena takes the USO (which I doubt)... but it would be hilarious to bump this thread after that.

Slumpsova
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:25 AM
this isn't new to me :shrug:

RYNJ
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Jelena Jankovic has a chance to win a grand slam as anybody in the top 10... plus Venus LOL!. She's not the number 3 player in the world for nothing. She has a game to beat anyone and she has proven that she can, last year she almost made it to the U.S. Open final and she could have given maria sharapova a run for her money =).

cypher_88
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:45 AM
so much talking...and for nothing.
1) Jelena IS a defensive player, who sometimes attacks.
2) her serve IS very weak.
3) she might win a GS, but i certainly doubt it.

jonny84
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I think she can and will win a Grand Slam.

She is one of the top players. She had a bad loss yesterday against Justine, as she was leading in the first set and then got nervous/Justine woke up.

It will take time for her to play these big matches too. Remember this time last year she was coming from a long streak of first round losses and was close to retirement before she started to play better and have a huge career boost.

Matt01
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:46 AM
First thing is she needs to stop playing every week.

Well, she already did that...

frontier
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:53 AM
This year she has failed to hold on to a lead,in LA she lead 4-1 but still lost the set.She lead Golovina in the first set but still lost the set.At last year's Open she lead against Justine but still lost,same in Berlin.I think she loses focus easily otherwise she would have won all these matches she lead.Her biggest issue is lack of focus .

kinglear
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I think her talent is extreme. There is some mental growth still to come, and she needs to work on her serve. But for the most part, her game blows me away, and I'm proud to be her fan.

I'm proud to be a fan too. Come on people, Jelena has made it to two Slam semis already. I think she as good a chance as any. I don't think she's all defense. Taking the ball early does a whole lot. Like Hingis, she makes her own pace. Plus, I think part of the reason for some of her recent performances is because she plays too many tournaments. If she rests a bit, I think she'll be fine. I honestly don't think Jelena should play New Haven. :) Anyone else agree? I'd love to see Jelena win some bonus money, but I'd rather her win the U.S Open (after Lena of course). ;)

~Kiera~
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I honestly don't think Jelena should play New Haven. :)

She isn't. She's taking a week off :)

pigam
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:34 AM
lol @ people saying she only uses defense.
how many time was she at the net, and won points?
How many times did she have Justine on the ropes?
How many times did she blast a BH winner down the line?

seriously :rolleyes: all defense. She is extremely talented, and has almost every stroke in the book. Plus, she's smart.
I don't know about winning GS's. All I know is noone thought Justine owuld ever win a GS at the beginning of 2003, and look where that brought her

terjw
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:04 PM

seriously :rolleyes: all defense. She is extremely talented, and has almost every stroke in the book. Plus, she's smart.
I don't know about winning GS's. All I know is noone thought Justine owuld ever win a GS at the beginning of 2003, and look where that brought her

Thank you. I didn't see the match - but I saw her match last week when she lost to Ana - and that would be my sentiments exactly. It is ridiculous to say she's just defence.

As pointed out by someone earlier - she may not be the favourite - or even be in the top 4 or 5 for winning the USO. But she's up there - puts herself in the running all the time. And you just can't discount a player who is winning tournaments and consistently going deep in all the tournaments she plays.

Also LOL at all these people that dismiss Jelena based on how they "think" she plays at the moments. How do they know she won't get even better? Look at what she's done the last 18 months. She couldn't in the past last a 3 setter. Then she put in all that work to improve her stamina - and it's like her strength now. Some other "weaknesses":

I don't think her serve will ever be great - but she knows it. And she's working on it. Also she was clever with her serve against Ana who was struggling to get her first serve back when it was sliced out wide. So she can certainly improve here. Her mental weakness: I think she's never going to be just calm when some awful decision goes against her. I can't see her ever not arguing with umpires. She's too spontaneous and open as a personality. But she can and has got better at how much she allows that too get to her.

She knows her weaknesses and the areas she wants to improve. She doesn't just shrug her shoulders and say she'll never win a slam because of them.

Wayn77
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:09 PM

:worship::worship:

Jelena is a very talented tennis player - of course she's going to win a Slam
A late developer perhaps who needs to add a little extra to her game: mid court/net, the serve.

And I tell you what: when she does

The Jankovic Slam will be one of the most popular Slams with tennis fans worldwide - EVER.

Thanx4nothin
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I don't think so either, she just doesn't have it in between the ears, at the moment, In saying that we don't know what the future will bring, she could get better or worse, either way her winning ? not winning isn't a gimmie.

Slumpsova
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:12 PM
She isn't. She's taking a week off :)
OMG this is so unreal :speakles:

urklerlay
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:33 PM
No Need to be sorry!

Chrissie-fan
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:43 PM
If you're going to start threads with comments like 'You can't win a slam with defense', following it up with 'not counting all the players that did it' is pretty lame. Sanchez-Vicario won the French less than ten years ago, hardly an eternity.
You can definitely win a slam with defensive play IMO. The thing that made it possible for Sanchez is that when she was on she made a minimum of unforced errors. There's only one way to beat a player who makes more winners than you, and that is to make fewer errors than she does. Playing defensivly only makes sense if you can keep your cool and if you don't mess up on routine shots.

SV_Fan
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I disagree, I said she will have a career like Capriati except she wan't burnout young and without the brug bust. I think she will eventually burnout because of the tourneys she is playing in a year, but then comeback and take a French Open a U.S. Open and maybe a Aussie wimbledon maybe not.

Chrissie-fan
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:03 PM
1) Jelena IS a defensive player, who sometimes attacks.
I wouldn't say that Jelena is THAT defensive a player, but if we for the sake of argument say that she is than her problem yesterday wasn't that she played too defensively, but that she made far too many unforced errors while doing it. The whole idea behind playing defensive tennis is to keep the ball in play and to manipulate your opponent into making a mistake. If you as the player who is supposed to be playing it safe makes about the same number of UE as your opponent who plays a high risk game there's no way you can win.

Wayn77
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't say that Jelena is THAT defensive a player, but if we for the sake of argument say that she is than her problem yesterday wasn't that she played too defensively, but that she made far too many unforced errors while doing it. The whole idea behind playing defensive tennis is to keep the ball in play and to manipulate your opponent into making a mistake. If you as the player who is supposed to be playing it safe makes about the same number of UE as your opponent who plays a high risk game there's no way you can win.

Defensive players also know when to attack: Jelena, Hingis and to a certain extent Clijsters. It's the beauty of that particular clever game - the right moment to turn defense into attack. Agreed Jelena made far too many errors from the back of the court yesterday: but that's the kind of pressure players of Henin's calibre exert. Obvious weakness is Jankovic's mid-court and net limitations against the top players. The ability to switch up, force the issue and finish the points quickly.

Carsten
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:29 PM
If Myskina was able to win a Slam, Jankovic definitely can win one, too ;)

tennisfan2480
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Here's how I see her winning a slam ... 1) She's able to get past tricky 4rd, and QF match ... 2) And then if Henin loses before a Semifinal, THEN I can see it happening. Really, then I see it happening in the near future. But who knows, tennis is very difficult to predict. Chakvetadze could win.

Bulgaria
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:06 PM
I can't agree with this comment. If she continues and manages to keep this game next year too, soon she will have a won slam in her career. I am 100 % sure. She needs a little more confidence.

Derek.
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:15 PM
If Myskina was able to win a Slam, Jankovic definitely can win one, too ;)

I don't get why people keep using Myskina for this topic.

Yes, they play similar, but Myskina did a lot of things better than Jelena.

Kart
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:49 PM
How exactly did Conchita Martinez win Wimbledon?

She beat Lori McNeil in the semis.

Regarding Jankovic, well, there are other players that were never expected to win a slam but did.

As long as she keeps contending and competing, she puts herself in the best position to have opportunities.

Whether she can recognise and take the chances when she has them, we'll just have to wait and see.

Expat
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:57 PM
well she can win
this current crop of wta players is crap
if half injured and nowhere near their peaks venus and serena manage to win easily
what does it tell
one tournament where venus and serena are injured (very likely) and justine has a off day she can win

Carsten
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I don't get why people keep using Myskina for this topic.

Yes, they play similar, but Myskina did a lot of things better than Jelena.

Imo it's the complete opposite, Jelena doas most things better.

Shoulderpova
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Imo it's the complete opposite, Jelena doas most things better.

yes, except beating Henin, Clijsters and winning slam which is the most important thing :rolleyes:

Carsten
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:24 PM
yes, except beating Henin, Clijsters and winning slam which is the most important thing :rolleyes:

beating players and winning sth. has very much to do with the players game, yeah..... :rolleyes:

Shoulderpova
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:11 PM
beating players and winning sth. has very much to do with the players game, yeah..... :rolleyes:

she needs to beat the top players like Henin to win something big. She hasn't managed to do that so far.:rolleyes: Beat Henin and win a slam then talk :rolleyes:

DA FOREHAND
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:15 PM
She played out of her mind that day.
She sliced, diced, and passed Navratilova.
Navratilova has still never forgotten that day, she jokingly called Martinez a bitch in a special about Martina 3 years ago.

That was no joke, she meant that shit. Martina is a bitter woman, so sad because she was such a great champion.

Carsten
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:28 PM
she needs to beat the top players like Henin to win something big. She hasn't managed to do that so far.:rolleyes:

It's not like JJ is chanceless, she's just always choking. Winning a Slam doesn't mean you do have a better game linke everyone else who didn't win one ;)

guyinsf
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:05 PM
You cannot win a slam with defence. The first slam (and only) Clisters changed her game, she won the US Open!!

She can beat a couple of players with defence, but there are too many good offense players in slams.

I think you will eat your words because even though her defensive game won't win slams and I do agree with that but she's very young and can still change her game like Clisters did but more importantly her game is very aggresive to me not defensive so I don't know what you're talking about.

Pasta-Na
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:04 PM
she won a mixed slam, guys :wavey:

ivanban
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Many people forget that Jelena started to play tennis when she was almost 10 years old, which is very late in tennis terms. So only in that department she's 3-5 years in deficit in comparison to vast majority of players. That's in my oppinion why she started to have good results this "late" in her career. I mean, it's been only one year since she's improved dramaticaly her game and people are already saying "Well, she's total crap, she's not won any slams yet and never will" :rolleyes:

terjw
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Many people forget that Jelena started to play tennis when she was almost 10 years old, which is very late in tennis terms. So only in that department she's 3-5 years in deficit in comparison to vast majority of players. That's in my oppinion why she started to have good results this "late" in her career. I mean, it's been only one year since she's improved dramaticaly her game and people are already saying "Well, she's total crap, she's not won any slams yet and never will" :rolleyes:

Exactly - I mean it's amazing what she's done this last year and a bit.