PDA

View Full Version : sam smith..

AlwaysGraf
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:47 PM
i used to like her,but she's loving herself these days. some of the crap the commentators on eurosport come out with these days is mince

theories and pies wtf

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:49 PM
working with morons like Barry Cowan on Sky Sports does that to you.

Shepster
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:49 PM
She's been fine all week but I thought the commentary tonight was really poor from both. Contradicting themselves all the time - one minute they're saying "Everything is on Henin's racket" yet then they say "Jankovic is giving her the breaks"... :confused:

Farina Elia Fan
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Usually she is very good but I thought earlier she wasnt having a great match

Slutiana
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:51 PM
didnt watch today but usually sam and the guy are great commentators

The Dawntreader
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:52 PM
I love Sam smith as a commentater, has been by fav for quite some time. She's extremely witty and so knowlegable about the game.

I like her pie analogies actually. At least she pulls something intresting out of the bag unlike Jo ' time stands still' Durie.

' that ball was hit very hard'

Observent as ever Jo:rolleyes: :lol:

Shepster
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:53 PM
working with morons like Barry Cowan on Sky Sports does that to you.
Barry "I took Sampras to 5 Sets" Cowan - that is his full name, I hear he legally changed it via deed poll... :tape:

Slutiana
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:55 PM
who's the other guy? he's good but he loves up vaidisova and it annoyed me when i saw golovin vs vaidisova at zurich and vaidisova vs ivanovic at wimbly

IMPOSSIBLE
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Lucie Ahl was ok the other day, isnt she Mel South's coach ?

Slutiana
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:59 PM
yeah she is^

Thanx4nothin
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I like her, not a patch on good old Jo Durie, but she's getting better, at least she's honest 'That was an atrocious shot from Henin' 'I have a theory.....bare with me Simon.....Justine is too reliant on her coach to be this great player....she wants to be'

baleineau
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:02 AM
she's becoming a bit glib. and yes, the number of times we hear "I have a theory on that".........."we'll come to it at the changeover"
and she seems obsessed with the issue of second serves. at the beginning of every match, she says that it will come down to how well a player can serve on first serve to avoid second serves. and then as soon as a single second-serve gets attacked, she backs-up her theory with that proof. now, okay, JJ ain't got the best second-serve in the game, but it's hardly *that* attackable.

i think she can redeem herself. spending too much time with that Chris Bradnam and his annoying "She expects that from herself, not expects, but DEMANDS it from herself". How many times does he say this?

Still better than Jo Durie, who just responds with "mmmm" anytime Chris Bradnam says anything. Not "mmmm" as in :rolleyes: but "mmmm" as in polite agreement and unable to articulate anything. boring cow.

V-MAC
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:20 AM
:lol:
Judy Murray beats them all hands down :worship:

David Barker
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:45 AM
she's becoming a bit glib. and yes, the number of times we hear "I have a theory on that".........."we'll come to it at the changeover"
and she seems obsessed with the issue of second serves. at the beginning of every match, she says that it will come down to how well a player can serve on first serve to avoid second serves. and then as soon as a single second-serve gets attacked, she backs-up her theory with that proof. now, okay, JJ ain't got the best second-serve in the game, but it's hardly *that* attackable.

i think she can redeem herself. spending too much time with that Chris Bradnam and his annoying "She expects that from herself, not expects, but DEMANDS it from herself". How many times does he say this?

Still better than Jo Durie, who just responds with "mmmm" anytime Chris Bradnam says anything. Not "mmmm" as in :rolleyes: but "mmmm" as in polite agreement and unable to articulate anything. boring cow.

Jo probably loses the will to live everytime she commentates with Bradnam who must be the worst worst commentator ever - not sure his brain is connected to his tongue.

Jo is noticeably better when she is with anyone else, esp Simon Reed.

A_S
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:51 AM
I think most of the comentators on bbc, eurosport, sky are fine, very good infact. I dont understand this tendancy to critisise them? Which ever comentator you pick it seems guaranteed that 90% of people hate them! :lol:

For the record, i think sam is one of the best.

Petersmiler
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:59 AM
I think most of the comentators on bbc, eurosport, sky are fine, very good infact. I dont understand this tendancy to critisise them? Which ever comentator you pick it seems guaranteed that 90% of people hate them! :lol:

For the record, i think sam is one of the best.

Usually when they've said something negative about their fave.

I like Sam, but she can be a little smarmy at times.

swissmr
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Chris Bradnam is the worst by far.
Player makes an error, Chris Bradnam: "hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm"
Every time! :fiery:

David Barker
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:41 AM
When you hear commentary by people like John McEnroe and Martina Navratilova (brilliant - intelligent, humorous and insightful) and then hear the Chris Bradnams and Barry Cowans of this world........ there is definitely a reason to compare and comment. Good match callers are so important to tennis matches.

Slutiana
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:47 AM
When you hear commentary by people like John McEnroe and Martina Navratilova (brilliant - intelligent, humorous and insightful) and then hear the Chris Bradnams and Barry Cowans of this world........ there is definitely a reason to compare and comment. Good match callers are so important to tennis matches.

:spit:

sam is the best! chris and simon aren't bad and jo is ok

the problem about chris is he does tend to ramble a bit but sometimes they are interesting

sheyna
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Where did Simon Reed get the information from that Justine Henin has never beaten Monica Seles? :confused: He said it the other day when Justine was play Yan Zi - due to Yan Zi being a double-handed forehand, he said that Justine has trouble with double-handed players and especially Monica Seles whom she has never beaten. I'm sure Justine beat her at Dubai one year? :shrug:

Please correct me if I am wrong :)

Shepster
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:54 AM
McEnroe is only good when a/ he's not commentating on an American and b/ he's commentating on people he knows a lot about. Makes his commentary on women's tennis next to useless. ;)

laurie
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:06 PM
I think part of the problem is that British commentators are "usually" ex players who have made absolutely no impact on the world stage with the exception of Virginia Wade and Jo Durie. Despite this, some of these commentators can be quite critical - people like Chris Bradnam who I understand played in the 1970s and 1980s. Virginia Wade usually understands what players are feeling during the course of a match. Sue Barker has never commentated, more of a presenter - which she is very good at.

During the Wimbledon semifinal I was on my way home from work, so I was listening to it on Radio Five Live on my walkman. During the 1st set Claire Balding and the other co commentators were hyper critical about Marion Bartoli and her weight issues, that it was not a good advert for Womens Tennis and equal pay should be reviewed.

I got home in time for the second set. Only to watch Marion to win the match in 3 sets. I never bothered to go back to the radio commentary to see if the commentators were eating humble pie or coming up with excuses to justify their initial attitude.

However, two days later an also extraordinary commentating moment happened. Nadal had 4 break points in successive games in the fifth set against Federer. I was backing Nadal so when he missed those chances and they went to the changeover at 3-2, I was immediately thinking his chance may have gone. When they came back out and Nadal lost the 1st point on his serve, Jimmy Connors immediately turned to John Lloyd and asked him whether there could be a momentum shift as Nadal might be deflated? This was John Lloyd's response

"I'll tell you after the game"

Silence from Connors, Nadal went on to lose the game and the final.

In my view I can't ever see that British Tennis will get to a stage where it commands respect. Ther are too many dead woods there who get jobs because they were involved in the game. I understand John Lloyd was seen as a joke in his playing days with many losing streaks and crises of confidence but his commentary doesn't reflect that players suffer emotions which affect their play. A friend of mine told me he made a derogatory comment about Kuznetsova during a French Open match.

Chris Bailey who was not a good presenter or commentator in my opinion has gone to Australia to work for a company. Is he on Sky these days?

Rachel_
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:16 PM
I do usaully love Sam Smith but she was commentating on Sky Sports during Montreal and she seems very anti-djokovic and that annoyed me somewhat!!

All the commentators are far to biased in favor of their favorites I dunno who was commentating on the Golovin-Jankovic (Bradman?) completely licking JJ arse throughout and barely said anything when Tati was playing amazing tennis.

Shepster
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:17 PM
However, two days later an also extraordinary commentating moment happened. Nadal had 4 break points in successive games in the fifth set against Federer. I was backing Nadal so when he missed those chances and they went to the changeover at 3-2, I was immediately thinking his chance may have gone. When they came back out and Nadal lost the 1st point on his serve, Jimmy Connors immediately turned to John Lloyd and asked him whether there could be a momentum shift as Nadal might be deflated? This was John Lloyd's response

"I'll tell you after the game"

Silence from Connors, Nadal went on to lose the game and the final.
That was something British commentators will never have - a champion knowing the moments where a champion steps up. You always hear 0-30, breakpoint chance - Conners KNEW 0-15 was all it took for Federer in that position to be right on it.

Back to Sam Smith though, she does come out with some great self-depricating comments, the other week on Sky she came out with the line "I was always taught when being completely outclassed to stay out there as long as possible" and it made me chuckle because it must have happened a lot. Also a couple of years ago her main commentator asked her about stepping it up when you get to the 1/4 final stage and her simple reply was "well, I didn't get to that many 1/4 finals" :lol:

We may not know how to call someone winning, but we can analyse how to lose til the cows come home, that's our speciality!

A_S
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM
what has been said about british players is true, but perhaps you should look at people like Connors and asorted other champions on the wimbledon coverage as the exception rather than the rule. How many other sports (football aside..) do you see ex champions, rephrase - legends, comentating? I would suggest there aren't many, you dont see seve, nicklaus or player comentating on golf for instance, or prost, mansell and piquet comentating on motor racing (bar Hunt), and certainly not at the "lower" non grand slam equivelent events in their sports. Its the same with tennis, people like connors are the exception in the box not the rule.

Shepster
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I would suggest there aren't many, you dont see seve, nicklaus or player comentating on golf for instance, or prost, mansell and piquet comentating on motor racing, and certainly not at the "lower" non grand slam equivelent events in their sports. Its the same with tennis, people like connors are the exception in the box not the rule.
That is a fair point, but when Faldo started commentating for the beeb prior to getting the Ryder Cup gig it was so much more insightful than usual it defied belief...

Thanx4nothin
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Yes, we never tire of hearing, I'd beat her, and her and maybe him in three....get to the net get to the net, she's awful, no footwork, I could have done better, I'd blah blah blah, she uses every commentating job she gets as a self gratifying 90mins on live television.

Shepster
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Yes, we never tire of hearing, I'd beat her, and her and maybe him in three....get to the net get to the net, she's awful, no footwork, I could have done better, I'd blah blah blah, she uses every commentating job she gets as a self gratifying 90mins on live television.
Really? All I heard this year at Wimbledon was her saying she wouldn't have had a prayer against Venus...

Thanx4nothin
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Really? All I heard this year at Wimbledon was her saying she wouldn't have had a prayer against Venus...

AT then end she said that, when she was being interviewed by Sue, in the box it was, did you see me locking her during doubles 7 years ago did ya', it happened really it did. ...It was so easy to lob her, she's so lobable...i just chipped the second serve return and she hit it out....honest it happened....then there was the time in 2003 when she said she would have put money on herself beating serena :rolleyes:

basset
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:51 PM
i like her commentating but my clear no. 1 on eurosport is jo durie.

A_S
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:54 PM
I want to know who this lief shiras guy on skysports is? Hes been around for ages but ive never really known much about him

Cilla
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Sam has been kind of annoying lately, normally I like her though. She seems very pro-Rafa :lol: I miss Durie though.

Mike_T
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Where did Simon Reed get the information from that Justine Henin has never beaten Monica Seles? :confused: He said it the other day when Justine was play Yan Zi - due to Yan Zi being a double-handed forehand, he said that Justine has trouble with double-handed players and especially Monica Seles whom she has never beaten. I'm sure Justine beat her at Dubai one year? :shrug:

Please correct me if I am wrong :)
3 times (http://www.sonyericssonwtatour.com/2/players/playerprofiles/playerheadtoheaddetail.asp?PlayerID=190141&Player1ID=80350&x=8&y=9). Be sure to leave me a good rep, Bunny Boiler.

*edit* found you an avatar:
http://www.richardkershaw.com/images/mobile/bunny-boiler.jpg

Wayn77
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:21 PM
She's usually very good - starting to annoy me a little lately. She's taken on some of the Bradnam-lite unfunny witticisms and waffling. I want the old school-mam strict Sam back: blunt, to the point - with whip in hand.

Virginia Wade's commentary always cracks me up at Wimbledon. :D
When she's had a few G&Ts and those clipped upper-class English tones of hers.
"Vaidisova is soo close to victory - she can smell it" or
"fantastic - real "spunky" play from Safarova".

sammy01
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:19 PM
sam smith is the best eurosport has but i do think shes being dragged down by the morons shes working with! bradnam please shut the fuck up! jo's ok all the other guys are idiots simon reeds about the best male commentator they have!
i love sams 1 liners the pie thing was great and was so true the first set of the match was crap ut it flattered to decieve as it should be a great match and was billed as being great! keep it up sam just ignore bradnam and co and do your thing!

Serval
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I like Sam Smith. And David Mercer.

ambare
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:07 PM
she's ok, not as good as jo but omfg please eurosport sack that inept imbecile:fiery: (simon whatevahislastnameis) i can't watch eurosport coverage anymore and here in the uk thats about the only place you can see any action mens or women bar wimbledon:fiery: