PDA

View Full Version : Maria Sharapova: winner of US Open Series

s_j
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Because both Jelena Jankovic and Patty Schnyder, the only two players who could possibly overtake Maria in the standings, lost their matches today, Maria is officially the leader and uncatchable winner of the US Open Series... :)

stevos
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:29 PM
:woohoo: The only good part of Jelena losing the final. :drool:

Good job Maria, now go win yourself an extra million.

AllezH1
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Congrats, Maria! Knew you could do it! :rolleyes:

frenchie
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:30 PM
what is the complete list?

I know the 2nd and 3rd of the list also get a bonus

Donny
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Unfortunately for her, she's not winning the USO.

Emina.
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:32 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

selesbooz
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:35 PM
That's my girl. Should of won it last year.

faboozadoo15
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:36 PM

You mean like last year?

Donny
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:40 PM
You mean like last year?

No, actually, she won it last year. You know, as a Maria fan, you should really keep up to date on her title wins. Especially since they've been so few and far between recently.

AjdeNate!
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:41 PM
You mean like last year?
:)

tennisbuddy12
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Was gonna post this thread.

jonny84
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Great that she has won this year. Although the US Open Series does mean nothing to a lot of people and is just for the benefit of American TV really.

faboozadoo15
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:43 PM
No, actually, she won it last year. You know, as a Maria fan, you should really keep up to date on her title wins. Especially since they've been so few and far between recently.

No, what I'm saying is that she's going to do it again.

I'm sure you didn't pick her last year either.

Donny
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:47 PM
No, what I'm saying is that she's going to do it again.

I'm sure you didn't pick her last year either.

She was the best player on hardcourts that year. Why wouldn't I have picked her? I didn't even think Henin would reach the final, and the only player who I thought had a good chance at beating her on fast hardcourts was Serena. And we know what happened there...

Anyway, it's a much different year now.

I don't think Maria's a bad player. I just think there are four players right now who can, and will beat her when playing well.

Thanx4nothin
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:52 PM

:lol: :worship: :lol: Well dealt with!;)

Helen Lawson
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Loves it!

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:54 PM
only thing that matters is who will win the US Open.

sure masha would trade in defence of her US title for this.

~Carsten~
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:04 PM
well that's nice for her! But only the US Open are important!

Thanx4nothin
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I'm glad she won. :worship:

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Congrats Maria :bounce:

franny
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:43 PM
She was the best player on hardcourts that year. Why wouldn't I have picked her? I didn't even think Henin would reach the final, and the only player who I thought had a good chance at beating her on fast hardcourts was Serena. And we know what happened there...

Anyway, it's a much different year now.

I don't think Maria's a bad player. I just think there are four players right now who can, and will beat her when playing well.

She can also beat any of those four players when she is playing well, which she has done before. Plus she actually has to face those players. She's probably only going to have to face 1 or 2 of those 4 players on her way to winning again. And even though she has had an off year, I feel like she will peak at the right moment. Last year I remember everyone saying she couldn't beat Kim, Mauresmo, or Justine. It was so similar to this year, with everyone bagging on her and calling her semipova and all that shit. This year feels to same to me, just like at Wimbledon and the Aussie I just had that feeling that Serena and Venus would pull a deja vu on us. I feel the same with the U.S. Open. Say what you will, but I would never diminish the chances of a two time slam champ and current defending champion the way you and many others have.

freeandlonely
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:54 PM
What is USO series?

No offense, congrats Maria.

Harvs
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:56 PM
wooo well done maria!

freeandlonely
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:56 PM

She can do what Clijsters done.:D

Tennisstar86
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:20 PM
She can also beat any of those four players when she is playing well, which she has done before. Plus she actually has to face those players. She's probably only going to have to face 1 or 2 of those 4 players on her way to winning again. And even though she has had an off year, I feel like she will peak at the right moment. Last year I remember everyone saying she couldn't beat Kim, Mauresmo, or Justine. It was so similar to this year, with everyone bagging on her and calling her semipova and all that shit. This year feels to same to me, just like at Wimbledon and the Aussie I just had that feeling that Serena and Venus would pull a deja vu on us. I feel the same with the U.S. Open. Say what you will, but I would never diminish the chances of a two time slam champ and current defending champion the way you and many others have.

to say diminish the chances is a bit much.... comsidering that 3 of the 4 players she can and probably will lose to have 6 GS titles each....Serena with 8.....

And sorry at there best Sharapova just isnt in the same league as Henin, Serena, and Venus no matter how well she plays..

I assume the 4th is Jankovic? but i think Sharapova has a pretty good shot against her...

roelc
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:02 PM
unless mirza wins new haven this will be the top-3
1. maria sharapova
2. jelena jankovic
3. justine henin

but justine only played 1 tournament, and the rules say you have to play at least 2 to be in the rankings
so henin will probably lose her 3rd place :tape:
am I right about this?

Nico_E
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Now she gets her presentation next to Federer at the us open.

Donny
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:55 PM

Sharapova couldn't have beat Serena at the AO or venus at Wimbledon no matter HOW good she was playing. The were simply playing her game +1.

Russianboy
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:00 AM

who'll win them? dally randriantefy? :eek:

mankind
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:01 AM
:lol: What a joke.

What a crappy road trip. I feel carsick.

Donny
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:01 AM
who'll win them? dally randriantefy? :eek:

Ivanovic, Serena, Henin, or Venus, most likely.

Zombielicious
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:02 AM
:) Congrats Masha!

Russianboy
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:04 AM

maria is definitely ahead of ivanovic :o

congrats maria:woohoo:

Andy.
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Thats an awesome achievement considering her terrible lck with injuries this year.

selesbooz
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:41 AM

Why di you care.:rolleyes:

Donny
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Why di you care.:rolleyes:

Because I watch WTA tennis?

Cp6uja
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Ma$ha $arapova won U$O $erie$ bonu$

Current Standings:

1. Maria Sharapova (RUS) 122*
2. Jelena Jankovic (SRB) 107
3. Justine Henin (BEL) 100
4. Patty Schnyder (SUI) 97
5. Anna Chakvetadze (RUS) 95
6. Nadia Petrova (RUS) 85
7. (T) Tatiana Golovin (FRA) 60
Sania Mirza (IND) 60
9. Elena Dementieva (RUS) 57
10. Ana Ivanovic (SRB) 50
11. Zi Yan (CHN) 45
12. Marion Bartoli (FRA) 40
13. (T) Sybille Bammer (AUT) 37
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) 37
Maria Kirilenko (RUS) 37
Virginie Razzano (FRA) 37
17. Dinara Safina (RUS) 30
18. Katarina Srebotnik (SLO) 27
19. (T) Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) 25
Venus Williams (USA) 25
21. (T) Eleni Daniilidou (GRE) 15
Martina Hingis (SUI) 15
Shahar Peer (ISR) 15
Shuai Peng (CHN) 15
Francesca Schiavone (ITA) 15

Meghann Shaughnessy (USA) 15
Ai Sugiyama (JPN) 15

28. (T) Victoria Azarenka (BLR) 12
Olga Govortsova (BLR) 12

Lilia Osterloh (USA) 12

Because player must play atleast 2 events, #3 will be Patty instead Henin.

faboozadoo15
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Sharapova couldn't have beat Serena at the AO or venus at Wimbledon no matter HOW good she was playing. The were simply playing her game +1.

So?
It's easy to say nobody would have beaten Sharapova at Wimbledon 04 or USO 06 no matter how well they could play.
It's about staying healthy and backing up those results.

Serena isn't going to win the USO based on form she showed in January....

Donny
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:58 AM
So?
It's easy to say nobody would have beaten Sharapova at Wimbledon 04 or USO 06 no matter how well they could play.
It's about staying healthy and backing up those results.

Serena isn't going to win the USO based on form she showed in January....

Do you honestly believe that? Or are you just using rhetoric?

faboozadoo15
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:58 AM
I don't understand why everbody has their panties in a bunch over this... It seems like some people would rather have someone winning this without even holding up a winner's trophy. :confused:

Sharapova and Justine both won the tier 1 championships, and Maria also got to a semifinal in one of the tier 2's. Who else has a stake in this?

Tennisstar86
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Ummm... can someone explain the points for winning the pilot pin? Because SChnyder is playing.... and with the draw missing some key players has a good chance in my opinion....so whose to say SHarapova won already?

BTW.... this road trip was lame.......

Donny
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:01 AM
I don't understand why everbody has their panties in a bunch over this... It seems like some people would rather have someone winning this without even holding up a winner's trophy. :confused:

Sharapova and Justine both won the tier 1 championships, and Maria also got to a semifinal in one of the tier 2's. Who else has a stake in this?

The fact is, that you don't have to win a title to win the series, which reveals the US Open Series for what it is: the USTA bribing players to play events in the summer when it's against their best interests. The USTA would probably have preferred someone like Jankovic winning the series, even without winning a title.

Which is why I don't really even care about it, to be honest.

faboozadoo15
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Do you honestly believe that? Or are you just using rhetoric?

Yes, I believe that. If not the 2 time defending champion, who's beating Sharapova? Navratilova?

I don't see what's so different between Wimbledon 2004 and AO 2007. Both victors outclassed their opponents and played lights- out tennis and won without much challenge...

Donny
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Ummm... can someone explain the points for winning the pilot pin? Because SChnyder is playing.... and with the draw missing some key players has a good chance in my opinion....so whose to say SHarapova won already?

She's lost already.

faboozadoo15
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:02 AM

Patty lost today in the first round to Schiavone :tape:

Donny
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Yes, I believe that. If not the 2 time defending champion, who's beating Sharapova? Navratilova?

I don't see what's so different between Wimbledon 2004 and AO 2007. Both victors outclassed their opponents and played lights- out tennis and won without much challenge...

6 1 6 4 is a convincing win, but not a blowout. 6 4 is but one break of serve. And didn't Serena break Sharapova during that match?

I wish I could find stats for that match. I highly doubt Sharapova had the kind of winner/UE ratio that Serena did in Melbourne.

faboozadoo15
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:09 AM
6 1 6 4 is a convincing win, but not a blowout. 6 4 is but one break of serve. And didn't Serena break Sharapova during that match?

This is just getting silly.

The two time defending champion ate a breadstick from a 17 year old who had never been beyond the 4th round... And Serena was never in that match, She broke Sharapova in one game where Maria showed a shred of nerves, and Pova broke right back.

And Serena wasn't hitting a DF per service game like Maria was in Australia.

sammy01
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:10 AM
what a load of shit the us open series has been! no offence to sharapova but no serena, venus once, henin once, not my idea of a fun road trip only seeing these players play 2 tournaments between the 3 of them!

LindsayRulz

To be honest, I would prefer to see someone winning the series without titles than someone who played 1 and a half tournament.

Congrats for your 10K posts.

heytennis

I wish I could find stats for that match. I highly doubt Sharapova had the kind of winner/UE ratio that Serena did in Melbourne.

When you first started posting you at least pretended to be unbiased. Now you are a complete Ree/Veetard:o

Tennisstar86
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:13 AM
This is just getting silly.

The two time defending champion ate a breadstick from a 17 year old who had never been beyond the 4th round... And Serena was never in that match, She broke Sharapova in one game where Maria showed a shred of nerves, and Pova broke right back.

And Serena wasn't hitting a DF per service game like Maria was in Australia.

And whens the last time sharapova beat someone like that? thats the difference........ She did get bageled last year though 6-0 6-0 to Davenport........

The difference is in 2004 Sharapova had nothing to lose.... no pressure.... now she does... and she gets destroyed on a regular basis...

heytennis
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:17 AM
And whens the last time sharapova beat someone like that? thats the difference........ She did get bageled last year though 6-0 6-0 to Davenport........

The difference is in 2004 Sharapova had nothing to lose.... no pressure.... now she does... and she gets destroyed on a regular basis...

She lost to Davenport in 2005. You are being foolish.

She beat Clijsters 2 and 4 at the AO this year. She has been "destroyed" four times this year. I would attribute three of her losses to her bad play during the match. Then against Venus, she was just up against the best grass player of the generation playing amazingly.

faboozadoo15
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:21 AM
To be honest, I would prefer to see someone winning the series without titles than someone who played 1 and a half tournament.

Congrats for your 10K posts.

Fuck, wanted to use my 10k on something special, not some Sharapova winning the US Open Series nonsense. :lol: Thanks though. ;)

I guess I can somewhat see how seeing someone who plays a lot of tournaments and edges everyone out could be cool, but Schnyder, Chakvetadze and Jankovic could have done that.
If Sharapova had beaten Petrova it wouldn't have even been close, and I have a feeling people would still be pissed...

freeandlonely
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Because player must play atleast 2 events, #3 will be Patty instead Henin.

What :eek: People must play atleast 2 events:eek:

faboozadoo15
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Sharapova has kicked a bunch of top players asses. I wouldn't really have to go back all that far...

Tennisstar86
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:32 AM
She lost to Davenport in 2005. You are being foolish.

She beat Clijsters 2 and 4 at the AO this year. She has been "destroyed" four times this year. I would attribute three of her losses to her bad play during the match. Then against Venus, she was just up against the best grass player of the generation playing amazingly.

oh no?!?!?!?! 2005...... whens the last time someone ranked in the top 10 got double bageled? regardless it happened and she gets destroyed quite often..... Further 6-4, 6-2 isnt a thrashing..... and against Kim "I dont care about tennis anymore" Clijsters thats not really something to brag about.....

Donny
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:58 AM
When you first started posting you at least pretended to be unbiased. Now you are a complete Ree/Veetard:o

What's a Reetard?

OH, I GET IT!

You attempted to make a portmanteau of Serena and retard, in an attempt to demean my intelligence!

That's soooooo clever. No one has EVER done that before...

I'm not going to get into an argument with someone who can't even keep from insulting others on a tennis forum.

Donny
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Fuck, wanted to use my 10k on something special, not some Sharapova winning the US Open Series nonsense. :lol: Thanks though. ;)

I guess I can somewhat see how seeing someone who plays a lot of tournaments and edges everyone out could be cool, but Schnyder, Chakvetadze and Jankovic could have done that.
If Sharapova had beaten Petrova it wouldn't have even been close, and I have a feeling people would still be pissed...

Who's pissed?

faboozadoo15
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Who's pissed?

Sorry, not pissed. BITTER.
If you want to know what "bitter" looks like, check the mirror.

Donny
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:32 AM

How am I bitter?

heytennis
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:10 AM
What's a Reetard?

OH, I GET IT!

You attempted to make a portmanteau of Serena and retard, in an attempt to demean my intelligence!

That's soooooo clever. No one has EVER done that before...

I'm not going to get into an argument with someone who can't even keep from insulting others on a tennis forum.

Uh I wasn't trying to be clever/original/funny. I just think your the worst poster on this entire board.

faboozadoo15
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:12 AM

:tape: This was the fifth post of the thread. Clearly you were hopping into a thread about Maria winning something only to denigrate her accomplishment. It's pretty easy to see to everyone...

Donny
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:23 AM
:tape: This was the fifth post of the thread. Clearly you were hopping into a thread about Maria winning something only to denigrate her accomplishment. It's pretty easy to see to everyone...

The US Open Series is only relevant because of it's significance to USO prize money. I'm not allowed to comment on her chances at the Open?

bellascarlett
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:42 AM
You mean like last year?

:lol:

:lol: Yup...something-tard that poster is. Obvious....

:rolls:

True. This will only matter if and when Sharapova wins the USO. Anyway, still good job.

faboozadoo15
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:38 AM
The US Open Series is only relevant because of it's significance to USO prize money. I'm not allowed to comment on her chances at the Open?

Since you're so concerned about what's "relevant", why didn't you take your opinion to one of the numerous threads about who will win the US Open? :confused:
It clearly isn't the topic here.

But no, you were one of the first people to drop in here with negativity. Yep, BITTER.

Donny
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Since you're so concerned about what's "relevant", why didn't you take your opinion to one of the numerous threads about who will win the US Open? :confused:
It clearly isn't the topic here.

But no, you were one of the first people to drop in here with negativity. Yep, BITTER.

:woohoo: The only good part of Jelena losing the final. :drool:

Good job Maria, now go win yourself an extra million.

Was that comment relevant to the thread? Or am I missing something?

Ok, how's this: "Unfortunately, Maria won't win the extra million."

Better?

faboozadoo15
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Was that comment relevant to the thread? Or am I missing something?

Ok, how's this: "Unfortunately, Maria won't win the extra million."

Better?

Better, sure. But still bitter. That's the only hat you own, and you're a one trick pony.

Donny
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Better, sure. But still bitter. That's the only hat you own, and you're a one trick pony.

I'm not bitter at all. I'm not unhappy Sharapova won the USO series. I'm glad whenever anyone is successful.

I'm just saying she most likely aint winning the whole thing.

s_j
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:53 AM
We've got a week until the US Open and Maria informs us that the mini-shin injury has vanished. Her shoulder is still not 100% but it's a lot LOT better - hence the win in San Diego. I reckon she'd be training hard and she always puts all her guts on the line when trying to defend a title (look back at Wimbledon 2005)... it would be stupid to write Maria off, especially when this is the exact time Maria really took off last year.

xan
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Congratulations, Maria. :bounce:

A great achievement to win the USOpen Series only playing two tournaments, and while not playing at her best. It does mean that she scored the best winning record over the pre-New York summer hardcourt season.

goldenlox
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I read Sharapova was fined $20,000 for skipping Toronto, and she is fined $125,000 from the Gold exempt money.
That $145,000 is more than she made for SD and LA combined.
So when she decides to skip the Tier I, and play LA near her house, she knows she's giving up a lot of money.
If she gets to the USO SF, which is not a given, she almost lost to Krajicek in LA, then the USO series will earn that money back.

xan
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I don't think the money matters so much to Maria at the moment. That is, unless she wins the open again - and then the extra million will come in useful.

s_j
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:05 AM
$145,000 is to Maria what a £10 note in my wallet is to me. That girl's made of money, man! I think she's much more interested in staying healthy and winning.

goldenlox
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Obviously, the money doesn't matter or she would go to Toronto.

Donny
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:32 PM
If money doesn't matter to her, why would winning the USO Series? Is there ANY relevance to that achievement besides extra prize money?

goldenlox
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM
She didn't go out of her way to win the USO series. She played 1 and a half tournaments, both near her home.

Brandon85
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:11 PM
i think she will probably win the open this year too. nice..

Doc
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:14 PM
If money doesn't matter to her, why would winning the USO Series? Is there ANY relevance to that achievement besides extra prize money?

It shows you've been the best player on hardcourts that summer.

thrust
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:35 PM
It is absurd that someone who plays only 1 1/2 tournaments can win the USO series! For me, to win any bonus money one should play three of the tournaments, as Kim did in 2005. She was still able to win the USO too! That was truly Kim^s finest period of her carrer, or anyone elses for that matter

Tennisstar86
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:23 PM
It is absurd that someone who plays only 1 1/2 tournaments can win the USO series! For me, to win any bonus money one should play three of the tournaments, as Kim did in 2005. She was still able to win the USO too! That was truly Kim^s finest period of her carrer, or anyone elses for that matter

lol do you forget Venus' undefeated summer of 00? 01? sorry.. Justine's undefeated leads up to the french. Serena's 4 straight GS tournys..... Kims finest period...but not the finest for everyone on tour.....

thrust
Aug 20th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Tennisstar- You are correct, I got a bit carried away with Kims achievement.

Donny
Aug 20th, 2007, 06:07 PM
It shows you've been the best player on hardcourts that summer.

Most consistent- not the best. A player who hasn't won any tournies could have possibly won it, while someone like Henin, who's played only one event, is not eligible. It's a gimmick for the USTA, nothing more.

sweetpeas
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Nice.....Good job Ms.Maria!!!!!!!!!!:wavey: :bounce: :cool:

faboozadoo15
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Most consistent- not the best. A player who hasn't won any tournies could have possibly won it, while someone like Henin, who's played only one event, is not eligible. It's a gimmick for the USTA, nothing more.

Justine's 100 points wouldn't even put her in first or second though even if she was eligible... Maria was better in the US Open Series than Henin or anyone else for that matter.