PDA

View Full Version : Ted Robinson is an idiot

DefyingGravity
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I'm watching the Toronto final, and he says "This could be the first time Justine has won the first set against Jankovic in their rivalry." Now, I know that they have stats and head to heads at their disposal when they're on the air...but I had a feeling that Justine had won a first set before against Jankovic, and:

2007 WARSAW CLAY (O) S J. HENIN 7-5 2-6 6-4

I'm right.

Can this man not read or something?

Anyway, this thread is about any other mistakes he has made on the air in reference to women's tennis.

Expat
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:13 PM
i guess he is still dreaming abt masha

DefyingGravity
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:15 PM
i guess he is still dreaming abt masha

HA!!!! Exactly. That's the other thing that bugs me with this man. Yes, Sharapova's good, but SHEESH! Comments like "I have never seen anyone hit this hard before" are ridiculous. And he always brings up the 2004 Wimbledon final EVERY TIME SHE'S ON THE AIR!

hurricanejeanne
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:18 PM
I cannot stand TedTard. And soon we have to suffer through him at the US Open. :banghead:

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:30 PM
I remember at San Diego when Maria won a match, she mentioned she was going to the beach.

Ted Robinson laughed mentioning that she didn't tell anyone which beach she was going to.

And then I laughed because if she would have mentioned it, then Ted Robinson would have been the first one there all out in the open jacking off in some 5 year old khaki shorts.

Jasmin
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM
What a ridiculous man.

arn
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:49 PM
Add Justine won 62 62 at RG this year

supergrunt
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:51 PM
We've known this for years.

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:08 PM
It's just been a fucked up week/weekend for people who can't stand certain tennis commentators.

Tracy Austin was commentating on the tennis channel.
Ted Robinson is commentating on ESPN II.
Mary Carillo is commentating on CBS.

It might as well be called Hell Week aka Mute week for some fans of tennis.

AllezH1
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Most of the commentators are idiots. Rarely do they know what they are talking about, despite being on the tour themselves. :lol:

V's a star
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Teds the worst hands down. not doubt about it.
USO :tape: :help:

Donny
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Everyone makes mistakes. I remember during the AO final this year, Dick Enberg flat out said Serena had won there the last two times she played, saying that she missed it in 06.

Vlover
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:11 PM

Thank God for small mercies! Venus, Serena and Maria weren't playing otherwise that would be rubbing salt in the wound.:devil:

Honestly though the execs obviously have no respect for tennis when they allow Ted Robinson to commentate especially during a final.:o

darrinbaker00
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Thank God for small mercies! Venus, Serena and Maria weren't playing otherwise that would be rubbing salt in the wound.:devil:

Honestly though the execs obviously have no respect for tennis when they allow Ted Robinson to commentate especially during a final.:o
If not Ted, then whom?

Pureracket
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Everyone makes mistakes. I remember during the AO final this year, Dick Enberg flat out said Serena had won there the last two times she played, saying that she missed it in 06.
Serena didn't play the Aussie in '06.

Hantu515
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:26 PM

she lost to Hantuchova 3r

Meghanns Journey
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:31 PM
I understand why you're peeved but since it happens so much regardless of the network airing the match I'm used to it. The biggest mistake they make is that the researchers they use obviously aren't real tennis fans like us. it's really insulting in a lot of ways because it comes across like they don't care enough about tennis to be accurate. Even Mary Carrillo makes these kinds of mistakes and she's supposed to know since tennis is her specialty.

Alyssa :)

In The Zone
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:34 PM

But she did. She lost in 3R to Daniela.

ASP0315
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:36 PM
What else is new with these jokers.
Mary, Ted and tracy along dick enberg and john mcenroe. I can't stand these idiots.
We have to live this unbearable commentary the next two weeks. :help:

shap_half
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:42 PM
The worst part of having bad commentators isn't for the knowledgeable tennis fans who can catch the inane erros they spew out, but for the casual fans. They must be sitting there, assuming whoever is reporting on the match to know their tennis stuff, but receiving BS and inacurate ramblings. I could not care less about Ted Robinson, etc. but for John Doe who sees it when he can, he's getting a whole pile of poop.

moon
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:27 PM
It's just been a fucked up week/weekend for people who can't stand certain tennis commentators.

Tracy Austin, and that guy (don't have a clue who it was), on TTC were sleep inducing. And they had the nerve to be showing all the matches late at night. :lol:

Ted was only on espn at the beginning of the week. Thankfully he shoved off and the rest of the week was quite enjoyable with Darren, Pat, Cliff, and even the college football guy wasn't that annoying.

pcrtennis
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I HATE Ted Robinson.

darrinbaker00
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:37 PM
I HATE Ted Robinson.
Why?

dansnewbeg
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Ted Robinson is the pits of tennis commentating. Mary Carillo I don't mind as long as she's not trying to wax poetic about something because she sounds ridiculous.

John McEnroe and Mary Jo Fernandez, on the other hand, are terrific analysts. Fernandez even predicted the last point of today's Canada final before the ball was struck.

David55
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Tracy Austin, and that guy (don't have a clue who it was), on TTC were sleep inducing. And they had the nerve to be showing all the matches late at night. :lol:

Ted was only on espn at the beginning of the week. Thankfully he shoved off and the rest of the week was quite enjoyable with Darren, Pat, Cliff, and even the college football guy wasn't that annoying.

OMFG that dude was worthless. :rolleyes: He basically didn't say anything engaging and then when the game was over he would either say, "THERE'S THE BREAK" or "THERE'S THE HOLD" every single time. :banghead: I can't believe people get paid for this :confused:

ToeTag
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Did TTC pick up tsn/cbc coverage cuz Tracy was on Canadian tv.

Glad I didn't have to listen to Ted Robinson.

pcrtennis
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Why?

Sucks up to J McEnroe and T Austin...Talks as if he knows something about tennis when he doesn't really...He's just irritating.

Dawn Marie
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:58 AM
I'm actually starting to enjoy MJF commentating. She still sucks certain players asses but she also explains what is going on during the point. I am starting to like John Mac also.

Ted Robinison comes off as this flakey tool who doesn't even know what is coming out of his mouth. He's like the George Bush of commentating.

Winston's Human
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Whenever Ted commentates a match, I have to mute him.

supergrunt
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Sucks up to J McEnroe and T Austin...Talks as if he knows something about tennis when he doesn't really...He's just irritating.

and he dislikes the Williams sisters overtly

darrinbaker00
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Ted Robinson does not "suck up" to McEnroe and Austin. He's smart enough to know that they know more about the game than he does, so he lets them do the majority of the talking. I know for a fact that no sportscaster prepares more for a broadcast than Ted. He is a consummate professional.

darrinbaker00
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:15 AM
OMFG that dude was worthless. :rolleyes: He basically didn't say anything engaging and then when the game was over he would either say, "THERE'S THE BREAK" or "THERE'S THE HOLD" every single time. :banghead: I can't believe people get paid for this :confused:
If you think you can do better, why don't you submit your resume?

Venus+Serena#1fan
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:25 AM
I personally really dislike Robinson's commentating. He loves to bring up negatives and player records. He also does this thing where he sounds like he's really surprised by his own statements.

Commentators I like: Carillo, Shriver, Fernandez, Mcenroe's, Cahill, even Cliffy....

Bad Commentators: Ted Robinson, Tracy Austin, Chris Evert (thank god she retired she hardly ever analyzed the points or actual match), Katrina Adams, Dick Enberg (sounds like he's announcing everything..)

And for Spanish speakers Conchita MArtinez is just lifeless!

David55
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:28 AM
If you think you can do better, why don't you submit your resume?
What's your point? I never said I would be a good commentator. I'm good at what I do, and I expect the same from others.

mirzalover
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:30 AM
I dont care what any of you say Ted Robinson is not the worst. Chris Fowler is. I swear to god he better hope I never see his ass in public or I'm taking him down and I'm for real, down... hard. I'm talking running his ass over and then putting the car in reverse and going back over him.

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:30 AM
Ted Robinson does not "suck up" to McEnroe and Austin. He's smart enough to know that they know more about the game than he does, so he lets them do the majority of the talking. I know for a fact that no sportscaster prepares more for a broadcast than Ted. He is a consummate professional.

And NBC rewarded him at the 2004 Athens Olympics by...
giving him a job to commentate on diving. :tape:

At least it was better than Tim Ryan who was given the job of being the 4th commentator for equestrian.

Neither had any idea what they were talking about, which is typical.

They picked Jim Courier who over Tim who rarely commentates compared to Ted.
Shows you just where NBC faith is in Mr. Robinson. :wavey:

supergrunt
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:35 AM
I dont care what any of you say Ted Robinson is not the worst. Chris Fowler is. I swear to god he better hope I never see his ass in public or I'm taking him down and I'm for real, down... hard. I'm talking running his ass over and then putting the car in reverse and going back over him.

Why do you hate him so much?

mirzalover
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Why do you hate him so much?

I cant even point out one thing because I hate everything about him so much.:lol:

supergrunt
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:47 AM
I cant even point out one thing because I hate everything about him so much.:lol:

I guess he can be negative.

Brian Stewart
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Anyway, this thread is about any other mistakes he has made on the air in reference to women's tennis.

What are you trying to do, crash the board?

Well, at least he didn't say "briefs" this week.

The worst part of having bad commentators isn't for the knowledgeable tennis fans who can catch the inane erros they spew out, but for the casual fans. They must be sitting there, assuming whoever is reporting on the match to know their tennis stuff, but receiving BS and inacurate ramblings. I could not care less about Ted Robinson, etc. but for John Doe who sees it when he can, he's getting a whole pile of poop.

Bin-go! That's the important thing. Yes, we want good announcers for our own enjoyment, and to save having to use our all-too-finely-honed filters to tune out the nonsense. But as fans of the game, we wan it presented in an accurate and professional manner. Get the stats right. And no inane chortling how you've "never heard of" someone who's been in the top 60. (Carillo.) What the hell kind of message does that convey to the casual fan that we're seeking to convert? A seasoned announcer, whom the CF will assume knows what they are talking about, implying that accomplished professionals are meaningless? That will get fans tuning in.

And it wouldn't hurt if some of these announcers would give the appearance that they, oh, actually enjoyed tennis. They don't have to go Dick Vitale with over-the-top enthusiasm (and I'd just as soon they didn't), but they shouldn't be come off sounding like a child who's being punished, or forced to do something s/he doesn't want to like practicing piano. For all of his faults, and there were quite a few, when I watched a match with Barry McKay announcing, I got the impression that he enjoyed being there. That there was nowhere else he'd rather be than watching this match with us. You get this impression that, if you sat next to him on a plane or train, he'd be just as eager to talk to you about a match between 2 qualifiers as one between the top 2 players in the world. If the people who cover the sport, and present it to the public at large, sound like they're not enjoying it, it provides fuel to all the naysayers in the general sports media. "Look, even they (announcers) don't like it! I told you tennis sucks!"

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:34 AM
i guess we heard it differently. i heard him say that this match will be different from a lot of their other meetings where jelena won the first set and justine had to come back. i didnt hear him say jelena won the first set in all of their meetings.