PDA

View Full Version : Serena's game on a scale of 1-10

G1Player2
Jul 11th, 2002, 12:39 AM
I am a big Serena Williams fan and I have decided to make a grid of her game on a scale of 1-10.

SERVE-
1st serve- 9.5
2nd serve- 9.5

GROUNDSTROKES- 9.0
Forehand- 9.5
Backhand- 8.5

ANGLES- 8.0

PLACEMENT- 7.5
Technique- 7.0
Shot making ability- 8.0

COURT AWARENESS- 8.5

COURT FINESSE- 5.5

ANTICIPATION- 8.0

FOOTWORK- 8.5
Court movement- 9.5
Quickness- 10
Court Coverage- 10
Off the mark- 10

NET PLAY- 7.5
Volleys- 7.5

MENTAL TOUGHNESS- 8.0
Focus- 7.5

OVERALL ACCUMALITIVE SCORE- 8.7------- Serena Williams
OVERALL ACCUMALATIVE SCORE-7.9------- Martina Hingis

RockSteady
Jul 11th, 2002, 12:47 AM
1st SERVE- 10 Power & Placement
2nd SERVE- 9 Excellent kick, one of the best

FOREHAND- 10 The best on tour w/Cappy & Davenport
BACKHAND- 9 Solid, powerful, but not as 'feared' as her forehand

ANGLES- 9 Best angles for a power player with Seles

PLACEMENT- 7 Doesn't hit too many lines, but doesn't need to with her power
TECHNIQUE- 6 If I see another hacking swing volley...
SHOT MAKING ABILITY- 8 Not too creative, but can dig herself out of holes with amazing power

COURT AWARENESS- 9 Always seems to pay attention to opponents weakness

COURT FINESSE- 5 Her weak point. Other than a 50/50 lob, has little to no finesse

ANTICIPATION- 7 Average. Gets wrong-footed sometimes

FOOTWORK- 6 See above
COURT MOVEMENT- 8 See above
QUICKNESS- 10
COURT COVERAGE- 10
OFF THE MARK- 10

NET PLAY- 9 Most of the time she is just punishing weak balls at net, so her net play is good I guess
VOLLEYS- 6 Not great, nor is her overhead

MENTAL TOUGHNESS- 9 Much improved
FOCUS- 8 much improved

AVERAGE: 8.25 (This was not planned):eek:

VS Fan
Jul 11th, 2002, 01:29 AM
Rocksteady:
What is the difference between "net plays" and "volleys"??

You can volley or "moonball" from the back court, but a play at the net is almost ALWAYS a volley.

Serena doesn't hit many "moonballs".

Otherwise I think this is a fair assesment.

Also, your signature line , it would seem could include Serena, if you start at the Canadian open of 2001. Well, I guess Kim has not said that yet!

TSequoia01
Jul 11th, 2002, 01:41 AM
SERVE-
1st serve- 9.5 - Best in ladies tennis
2nd serve- 9.5 - Best in ladies tennis

GROUNDSTROKES- 9.0 - Have improved greatly in the last year. I believe that playing the clay season is a big reason for that

Forehand- 9.0 - Hits great angles and that forehand crosscourt is as powerful a shot as I have seen in ladies tennis

Backhand- 9.0 - Really does not matter what side you hit to Serena on.

ANGLES- 9.5 Hits the best angles in the woman's game right now

PLACEMENT- 8.5 Considering how hard she hits it, her placement is amazing.

Technique- 9.0 - Got to have excellent technique to execute the type of shots Serena does

Shot making ability- 9.0 - Name me someone who makes better ones.

COURT AWARENESS- 8.5 - Noticed how she took away Amelie's outwide serve, something Capriati failed to do.

COURT FINESSE- 7.5 - Still working on this part of her game, but continually improving every year.

ANTICIPATION- 8.5 - Hard to get a ball by Serena. Opponents have really low winner totals against her.

FOOTWORK- 7.5 - Clay season has improved her play here also.
Court movement- 9.5 - Awesome describes it.
Quickness- 10 - As quick as any in the WTA
Court Coverage- 10 - Again awesome
Off the mark- 10 - Powerful

NET PLAY- 7.5 - Improving
Volleys- 8.5 Her volleys and overheads at Wimbledon are much improved since the French or Italian .

MENTAL TOUGHNESS- 9.0 Serena is now as tough as anyone

Focus- 9.0 You donot win 2 tier I's and 2 Slams without focus

OVERALL ACCUMALITIVE SCORE 8.9<- ------- Serena Williams

That score reflects an individual who can amass over 5700 in only 12 tournaments and garner 11 wins in twelve attempts against the top 10!

:eek:

TSequoia01
Jul 11th, 2002, 01:54 AM
VSFan writes
Rocksteady:
What is the difference between "net plays" and "volleys"??

I am not speaking for Rocksteady but what I took it to mean is this; the knowledge it takes to play at net. How to position oneself when at net. This allows you to cut off passing lanes and hit effective volleys. :cool:

Buitenzorg
Jul 11th, 2002, 01:58 AM
SERENA Williams

overall points is : 8.9

* Good serve
* Power Hitting
* Perfect Groundstroke, Forehand
* Sometimes, she can make a lot of Unforced Errors!

VS Fan
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:04 AM
Well, Serena's net play has been suspect, compared to Venus, and other players over the past year or so, she often comes in and smacks an ERROR. (she has improved recently)

But my question was: How can we have catagories of "volleys" AND "net play" ??? With the exception of "moonballs" from the back court, aren't we talking about the SAME play???

RockSteady
Jul 11th, 2002, 03:42 AM
"What is the difference between "net plays" and "volleys"??

You can volley or "moonball" from the back court, but a play at the net is almost ALWAYS a volley."

Net play is, according to me, how one covers the net and wins points. Volleys are the technical aspect.

For example, let's say Serena comes to net 20 times, wins 15 of those points. That is good net play. However, if all of those points were easy smashes and put aways, that doesn't mean she is a good volleyer. She just hit nice approach shots. The five she lost may have been when her volleys were tested.

It's splitting hairs, for sure.

Williams Rulez
Jul 11th, 2002, 08:57 AM
SERVE-
1st serve- 10
2nd serve- 10

GROUNDSTROKES
Forehand- 9.5
Backhand- 9

ANGLES- 9

PLACEMENT- 8
Technique- 6
Shot making ability- 8

COURT AWARENESS- 8.5

COURT FINESSE- 5.5

ANTICIPATION- 8.0

FOOTWORK- 8.5
Court movement- 9.5
Quickness- 10
Court Coverage- 10
Off the mark- 10

NET PLAY- 8
Volleys- 7.5

MENTAL TOUGHNESS- 8.5
Focus- 9

Verve
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:04 AM
I don't agree with the high grades for footwork.

Has anyone seen her 3rd round match against Callens at Wimbledon?
Serena's footwork was simply horrible! She got wrong-footed many times and slipped regularly on the grass. There was even a stage in the match, that she fell 3 times within 10 minutes or so.

It's not bad at all though. She makes nice little steps towards the ball and can run from side to side and get all shots back. That's not footwork though, but court coverage, at which she's definitely one of the best.

She makes up for her rather poor footwork though with her excellent speed. She's definitely THE fastest player ever. Very explosive.

Williams Rulez
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Oops... I must have missed that. I agree that Serena has awful footwork. I think around 5 if you ask me. She could make a lot more balls if she would improve her footwork.

RAA
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:00 PM
not to belabor the point, but I agree that SErena's footwork leaves a lot to be desired. she often hits her groundstrokes off-balance a bit.

The other category that I don't think is in here is "athleticism" and "fitness" I think it is sort of implied in court movement, court coverage and off the mark. but really Serena would rate a 10 in overall athleticism. She would be very successful at any number of sports that she chose to try. Also, her fitness level is very high right now, that's another point in her favor that others, like Hingis, tend to be sometimes lacking.

RAA
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:00 PM
sorry, I should add that overall I give Serena close to a 9. She's a fabulous player with very few weaknesses.

supremeross
Jul 11th, 2002, 05:08 PM
I think Serena's footwork in her match against Callens was more an abberation than her true footwork patterns or ability. I think it was just that particluar court (court 2) that she was having problems with because that was really the only match where she had a problem with "footwork" and there we not many instances where other players wrong-footed her either. I don't think you judge a person's "footwork" ability by just one match but look at the player overrall. From her clay court season to the finals at Wimbledon, I don't think anyone player on tour would say that footwork is a weakness of Serena Williams. If anything I think her second serve has slipped just a notch.

treufreund
Jul 11th, 2002, 06:15 PM
I agree with the distinction between net play all around and the STROKE called volley. After all you can hit overheads, bounce overheads, groundstrokes, drop shots and half volleys at the net. Also swing volleys are really basically just a groundstroke in the air.