PDA

View Full Version : Dropshots, Drama, and Dominance!

Serenidad.
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Hello, everyone. This is a new column I will be reporting and presenting. This week we take a look at some lopsided head-to-heads amongst our active Grand Slam winners.

First up. Henin/Kuznetsova. Henin leads 14-2.:confused:

Personally, I really do not see Kuznetsova as a top 5 player. Too often, she struggles with players ranked amongst the 15-25 ranking. Don't get me wrong, these players are good. However, a consistent top 5 player should not be losing often to these players. Kuznetsova is trying to improve her net game by playing doubles, but her second serve barely reaches in the 80s. I just don't see a future littered with Grand Slams for Kuznetsova. Juju gets on top of her and never relents. You can only hit so many hard forehands, you know?

Second. Venus Williams/Henin. Venus leads 7-1.:help:

This one has a little less credibility than the one mentioned above because they've not played in four years. Four years being when Venus was 1 and 2 with Serena, and Justine was just coming into her own. However, there is some merit to be salvaged of this head-to-head. What is it in Henin's game that plays right into Venus' hands? Your thoughts? Your comments?

Third. Serena/Mauresmo. Serena leads 9-2. ;)

This head to head is very deceiving with most of their matches going to three sets. Matches in which Serena was often a set and a break down, but found her Serena spirit as she always does. However, 9 wins to 2 still counts for something. Mauresmo's only two wins were on clay. A match which Serena was up a set and a break. Her other, at the USO where Serena bageled her before running out of steam in the third. Mauresmo???

Fourth. Serena/Clijsters. Serena leads 7-1. :(

This head to head is not without its fallacies, but overall sets a dominant tone. We all remember the match at the 2003 Australian Open when Serena was 5-1 down in the 3rd, but won 6 straight games and the match. Several times, Clijsters has served for a match against Serena and was broken. Clijsters' only victory was at the peak of Serena's dominance -- the 2003 Year-End Championships. Again, Clijsters disappoints in the big matches. :mad:

Fifth. Davenport/Mauresmo Davenport leads 12-4.

This head-to-head extends back to 1998 and extends to 2006. Mauresmo surprisingly won their first two meetings as a newcomer on tour against the top 2 ranked Davenport. Since then, it has been largely Davenport. Pounding groundies into the corner in a two close set pattern against the mentally fragile Mauresmo.

Please post all your thoughts, comments, and any lopsided head-to-heads I missed. Remember, among active grandslam champions! Capriati is not active!

Serenidad.
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:42 PM
! Us Open 2007 !

Giovanna
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I did some head to head against top 10 players:

Henin / Sharapova : Henin leads 5-2 :unsure:

Henin / Jankovic: Henin leads 6-0 :eek:

Henin / Ivanovic: Henin leads 2-0

Henin / Chakvetadze: Henin leads 2-0

Henin / Mauresmo: Henin leads 8-6

Henin / Serena Williams: Williams leads 6-5

Henin / Petrova: Henin leads 10-2 :confused: :confused: :p

Henin / Hantuchova: Henin leads 3-2

As you can see justine leads almost all top 10

supergrunt
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:03 PM
you sound kind of biased

Giovanna
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Sharapova / Jankovic: Sharapova leads 3-1

Sharapova / Ivanovic: Ivanovic leads 2-1

Sharapova / Kuznetsova: Tied 3-3

Sharapova / Chakvetadze: Sharapova leads 5-1 :confused:

Sharapova / Mauresmo: Mauresmo leads 3-1 :confused:

Sharapova / Serena: Serena leads 4-2

Sharapova / Petrova: Sharapova leads 5-1 :confused:

Sharapova / Hantuchova: Sharapova leads 5-1 :confused:

I love Sharapova but I didn't know that she won a lot of matches against Chakvetadze,petrova and hantuchova

Giovanna
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Jankovic / Ivanovic: Ivanovic leads 4-1

Jankovic / Kuznetsova: Tied 2-2

Jankovic / Chakvetadze: Chakvetadze leads 5-2 :confused:

Jankovic / Mauresmo: Mauresmo leads 5-1

Jankovic / Serena: Tied 2-2

Jankovic / Petrova: Jankovic leads 3-2

Jankovic / Hantuchova: Tied 1-1

Serenidad.
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:17 PM
As you can see justine leads almost all top 10

Serena leads all top 10 players AND everyone except Sun(CHINA) and Bammer(AUSTRIA).

Giovanna
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Ok lets see if serena leads all top 10:

Henin / Serena : Serena leads 6-5

Serena / Sharapova: Serena leads 4-2

Serena / Jankovic: Tied 2-2

Serena / Ivanovic: Serena leads 1-0

Serena / Chakvetadze: Never played :confused:

Serena / Mauresmo: Serena leads 9-2 :confused:

Serena / Petrova: Serena leads 6-1

Serena / Hantuchova: Serena leads 6-1

Well against Jankovic and Chakvetadze is tied

NeeemZ
Aug 23rd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Ok lets see if serena leads all top 10:

Henin / Serena : Serena leads 6-5

Serena / Sharapova: Serena leads 4-2

Serena / Jankovic: Tied 2-2

Serena / Ivanovic: Serena leads 1-0

Serena / Chakvetadze: Never played :confused:

Serena / Mauresmo: Serena leads 9-2 :confused:

Serena / Petrova: Serena leads 6-1

Serena / Hantuchova: Serena leads 6-1

Well against Jankovic and Chakvetadze is tied

Don't think you can say that Serena is tied with Chaky because they've never played. There's no concrete result between them two.

I also think that Serena's record with Justine will be even because even though Serena does tend to play well at the US, Justine is playing much better.

Also, since Marion is joining the Top 10 next week, I thought I might add some more credits to Serena.

Serena / Bartoli: Serena leads 1-0. Should be 2-0 if they are to meet in the 4th Round.

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:12 PM
Don't think you can say that Serena is tied with Chaky because they've never played. There's no concrete result between them two.

I also think that Serena's record with Justine will be even because even though Serena does tend to play well at the US, Justine is playing much better.

Also, since Marion is joining the Top 10 next week, I thought I might add some more credits to Serena.

Serena / Bartoli: Serena leads 1-0. Should be 2-0 if they are to meet in the 4th Round.

Actually if Serena playing without a backhand took her to 3 sets and this surface is now faster than the grass of today what do you think will happen? :shrug:

but nice stats overall for both against players in the top 10 ;) where JH's only discrepancy is against Serena

Thanx4nothin
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:25 PM
Actually if Serena playing without a backhand took her to 3 sets and this surface is now faster than the grass of today what do you think will happen? :shrug:

but nice stats overall for both against players in the top 10 ;) where JH's only discrepancy is against Serena

Until Vee gets herself back into the top ten where she belongs.;)

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:35 PM
Until Vee gets herself back into the top ten where she belongs.;)

:lol: sorry i forgot that :)

Ntour
Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:43 PM

well if injured justine took a bagel set and 2 match points against her last time they played on hard what do you think will happen?

laurie
Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:50 PM
This is an interesting thread!!

Tennis is an interesting sport where one personality or game doesn't suit another and so on. There are always strange head to haeds.

Here are some interesting ones from the past & present

- Graf v Tauziat - 21:0 to Graf! That's incredible

- Graf v Seles - As a Seles fan I'm amazed it finished 10 - 5 to Graf.

- Becker v Edberg - Amazing, 25 wins to 10 for Becker. But they played 3 Wimbledon finals and Edberg won 2 of them. Plus Edberg beat Becker in the 1989 French open semifinal. A very stange head to head

- Federer v Roddick, 14 to 2 for Federer and counting. I consider Roddick to be one of the most limited top 5 players I've seen play - however, it's still surprsing Federer has got into his head so much.

- Sampras v Henman, this is amusing because it's 9 wins to one for Pete plus Henman won the last match they played, in Cincinnati in 2000 so at least Henman could say he beat him! Not only that, a journalist after that match reported he believed Sampras was finished if he's losing to players like Henman!

- Graf v Sabatini - 29 wins to 11 for Graf. I'm susprsied Gabby didn't win more she was a great all court player, very similar to Mauresmo in my opinion

- Sampras 9 to Pioline 0. That reminds me of Henin v Jankovic. I wonder if Jelena will get a win somewhere like Henman did?

- Sampras 12 wins to Rafter 4, similar to Federer v Roddick I think, Sampras clearly the better player but you would have expected Rafter to have done better. What makes it a bit bizarre was Rafter actually won 3 matches in a row including the 1998 Cincinnati final and 1998 US Open semifinal. And their first ever meeting in 1993 when Pete was number 1 in the world.

Lendl v Becker - 11 wins to 10 for Lendl but Becker won their 3 slam finals - 1986 Wimbledon, 1989 US Open, 1991 Australian Open. Plus Becker beat Lendl in both 1988 and 1989 Wimbledon semis. Lendl was number 1 in the world throughout all of this so that's a poor record for Lendl.

Agassi v Becker - 10 wins to 4 for Agassi. Again, you really would expect that rivalry to be a lot closer. They met a lot at Wimbledon and the US Open and a French open semifinal. Becker is two years older than Agassi and they met a lot in the early 1990s. Apaarently Agassi liked Becker's big serve.

Can you think of other interesting matchups?