PDA

View Full Version : I hope Tati, can raise her game w/her new coach

DA FOREHAND
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Mats, should instill in her a bit more patience, and perhaps get her to play w/more margin for error. She plays like the typical Russian ball basher, where is the French flair? The volleys? The creative shots, the angles?

youkoulélé
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:36 PM
You're not the only one... but she is not playing like a ball basher... she needs to improve (a lot) her volleys and her patience...

DA FOREHAND
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:39 PM
You're not the only one... but she is not playing like a ball basher... she needs to improve (a lot) her volleys and her patience...

There were so many instances in her match last night when she should have closed in and played a volley, I was rooting for her but really wanted JJ to win as I think she will provide a better finals opponent to Justine.

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:39 PM
She doesn't move well, she doesn't have a weapon. Her ranking is about right.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:42 PM
She doesn't move well, she doesn't have a weapon. Her ranking is about right.

yea you would think w/those muscled legs (great calves) she would be a bit swifter around the court, her anticipation could get better too, which would make her appear quicker to her opponents.

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:43 PM
She said Sharapova used to beat her 60 60 at Bradenton. She's where she should be.
Earning a good living, but not a top tenner.

Craigy
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:45 PM
She said Sharapova used to beat her 60 60 at Bradenton. She's where she should be.

If she wasn't so injury prone I could definitely see her in the top 10.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:46 PM
If she wasn't so injury prone I could definitely see her in the top 10.

Really who would she replace?

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM
tati's movement was so :help: her shots when on defence especially to the bh were so atrocious....and i was cheering for her....i hope she can improve the couple faults in her game cause her shots when on are lethal

Craigy
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Really who would she replace?

Well Mauresmo looks to be on her way out.
Hantuchova could be pushed out.
Who knows what could happen with Serena?
When Tati is playing in great form and her injuries are gone, she can really push the big players.

matthieu_tennis
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Did you see the match yesterday, she was moving very well, especially on the forehand side :):)

MakarovaFan
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Mats, should instill in her a bit more patience, and perhaps get her to play w/more margin for error. She plays like the typical Russian ball basher, where is the French flair? The volleys? The creative shots, the angles?

Typical Russian ballbasher??? Um nooo....if you saw her play when she won her one and only title in Amelia,you'd see that's not her normal style.Early on against JJ she was playin her game,but Jankovic plays the same way but better,so Tati had to do somethin different and started blasting balls and being very aggresive and for like 6 games she wasnt missing a shot!

blumaroo
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:14 PM
She usually plays with (too much) margin for error. I think she should try to go for bigger shots more often if she wants to get better. She makes many errors against the likes of Jankovic or even Peer because they play the same game but move better, so she has to go for it which is clearly out of her comfort zone.
In Amelia Island her volleys looked very good. She should focus on that and strengthen her forehand. Though she'll never be an aggressive player. That's just not how she plays.

tenn_ace
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:20 PM

:weirdo:

How can she play like the Russian ball basher if she grew up in Florida? So, don't be shy and say it: she plays like the typical American ball basher.

Stamp Paid
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Mats, should instill in her a bit more patience, and perhaps get her to play w/more margin for error. She plays like the typical Russian ball basher, where is the French flair? The volleys? The creative shots, the angles?Watch her match vs Venus at Amelia Island this year.

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I don't really think there's much Tati can do to raise her game.
She's was 9/10 in net points in the first set against Jelena and only won that set 7-5.

She can't move any better than she does because the ankle injuries come along with it.
She's lost weight to relieve stress on the ankles and yet she's still having the issues.

Her serve is probably as strong as it's going to get without having shoulder issues.

It's not in her game to play even more aggressive tennis than she's playing now.
In fact she won Amelia Island by just letting her opponents self-destruct.

That's her game and with that gamestyle comes the consequences of having to deal with a player who can step up their game and just crush you.

What more can she do?
Her body unlike someone like Jankovic does not seem to be made for the week in week out playing on the tour.

Derek.
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Tati can reach the top 10 IMO, but she'll always be the type of player who will get beaten by the more powerful girls if they are playing well.

Slutiana
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:51 PM

lol. ok then:o :rolleyes:

Did you see the match yesterday, she was moving very well, especially on the forehand side :):)

thank you. It seems you and me were watching a different match to most of the other people on GM.

Tati can reach the top 10 IMO, but she'll always be the type of player who will get beaten by the more powerful girls if they are playing well.

i dno about that. Its sounds like your saying she'll get blown away by power players. I think she has enough power of her own to go blow for blow with them and come out on top. Im not saying she'll win every match against the ball bashers (sorry) but she has as good a chance as the BBs

Remember: The last time she played
ivanovic: she won
vaidisova: she won
Sharapova: :help: but i think if she was as aggresive as yesterday and played as well; she would win but tati could also counterpunch like miami 2006. They may be more powerful than her but she has more tricks and is quicker

cellophane
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Typical Russian ballbasher? :spit: Russians aren't for the most part just ballbashers. And Golovin is anything but a ballbasher. :lol:

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:55 PM
People say Russian ballbasher because they don't follow tennis. Chakvetadze is the opposite of s ballbasher.
Sharapova was taught the Bradenton and Lansdorp styles.

Slutiana
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:56 PM
oh and btw, how many russian ballbashers are there? unless sharapova speaks for the whole of russia, there's 1 and she never even trains in russia :o

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:04 PM
oh and btw, how many russian ballbashers are there? unless sharapova speaks for the whole of russia, there's 1 and she never even trains in russia :o

I agree.
I think all these Russian girls try to get better in every part of their game excluding Maria who has to be begged to get on a doubles court.

I don't think you can call any winner of a mixed doubles slam a ball basher, these days a women with some touch is a very important feature in mixed matches.

Whoever recruits Chakvetadze to play mixed with them are going to find themselves a winner of a mixed slam especially if it's at the US Open.
Hint Hint Jamie Murray.

Lunaris
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:18 PM
If Wilander can introduce something new into her game then we won't see it in less than six months. The question is whether they will cooperate that long. I personally think that Golovin would have been much higher than she is now if she wasn't injured so often. And I am not a person who would overhype players. I think her movement is sufficient as of now but in next years it will be harder to maintain the same level as she will grow older and it will be harder to keep the ankles injury free. She should plan her schedule in a similar way like some older injury prone players already do nowadays.

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Everyone ranked ahead of her is also dealing with injuries. Bovina was close to the top 10 and then missed 2 years.
Golovin's injuries have been normal, similar to what most players have to deal with.

FrenchY52
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Golovin's injuries have been normal, similar to what most players have to deal with.

:spit:

Lunaris
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Everyone ranked ahead of her is also dealing with injuries. Bovina was close to the top 10 and then missed 2 years.
She constantly suffers from chronical ankle problems. I don't know if other players from top 20 had similar problems in their 19's. This considerably sets back her efforts to move higher in the ranks. Golovin has played 19 tournaments this season while Peer, Schnyder, Dementieva, Bartoli and Hantuchova have all played more. Hingis also has played 19 and only Vaidisova and V. Williams have played less. Only these three players who are ahead of Golovin in the ranks (in the top 20) have had or are having some serious problems with health. Plus Dementieva, but she has been healthy since she came back in Warsaw. Very often when Golovin starts to play better she gets injured. I understand why you don't like her, for some she could be considered as a similar traitor of russian tennis like Sharapova, but your bias is a bit too much at times.

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Sharapova has been injured all year. Kuznetsova has had health issues all year. When has Petrova been healthy?
There's no one walking around healthy.

yukon145
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:10 PM

:tape: right.

we all know that you're Golovin hater #1. is it because she left Russia for France? or is it because she beat boring ass Chakvetadze at last years US Open?

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:14 PM
I'm not a Golovin hater. Her parents left Moscow when she was 8 months old.
I can understand why she doesn't feel a connection.
Pretending everyone else is healthy is absurd.

Derek.
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:18 PM
i dno about that. Its sounds like your saying she'll get blown away by power players. I think she has enough power of her own to go blow for blow with them and come out on top. Im not saying she'll win every match against the ball bashers (sorry) but she has as good a chance as the BBs

Remember: The last time she played
ivanovic: she won
vaidisova: she won
Sharapova: :help: but i think if she was as aggresive as yesterday and played as well; she would win but tati could also counterpunch like miami 2006. They may be more powerful than her but she has more tricks and is quicker

Yeah, she's beaten them, but what is her H2H vs. them?

2-13 combined.

I never said she couldn't beat them, but she would need them to be off their games to win.

All three of them serve bigger, hit harder, and would control most points against Tati.

Jirku
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Well Mauresmo looks to be on her way out.
Hantuchova could be pushed out.
Who knows what could happen with Serena?
When Tati is playing in great form and her injuries are gone, she can really push the big players.

forget it ! :p

Slutiana
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Yeah, she's beaten them, but what is her H2H vs. them?

2-13 combined.

I never said she couldn't beat them, but she would need them to be off their games to win.

All three of them serve bigger, hit harder, and would control most points against Tati.

fair enough but tennis is much more than just the strongest wins. :shrug: hopefully she can slowly change that record. Only time will tell.

Derek.
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:24 PM
yh but tennis is much more than just the strongest wins.

:confused:

Look at the H2H. :lol:

It's a bad match-up for Tati.

Jirku
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:25 PM
:tape: right.

we all know that you're Golovin hater #1. is it because she left Russia for France? or is it because she beat boring ass Chakvetadze at last years US Open?

don't waste your time to that crackjunkie :p

most boring tennis is from russian players : chakvetadze,safina,kuzentsova,dementieva

Slutiana
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:25 PM

damn you quoted me before i edited it :lol:

Jirku
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:26 PM

if we gonna start about h2h

hantuchova vs henin 2-3 ...
but look at tournament wins :sad:

Derek.
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:27 PM
if we gonna start about h2h

hantuchova vs henin 2-3 ...
but look at tournament wins :sad:

What does that have to do with anything? :lol:

My point on the first page was Tati is the type of player who will always be at the mercy of someone like Sharapova or Vaidisova or Ivanovic.

HTE
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Typical Russian ballbasher: Certainly not!!
That said I'll have to agree that she needs to use her flair a lot more. She can play volleys and be creative, she just doesn't seem to trust those shots when she's under pressure. If she can work on that with Mats (and stay injury free :mad:) she surely will start to take more great scalps and crawl nearer to the top 10.

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:33 PM
most boring tennis is from russian players : chakvetadze,safina,kuzentsova,dementievaThey all have different games and personalities.
Don't watch them if they bore you.

majuu
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:43 PM
What does that have to do with anything?

My point on the first page was Tati is the type of player who will always be at the mercy of someone like Sharapova or Vaidisova or Ivanovic.

For a long time Henin seemed like she would always be at the mercy of Clijsters (Clijsters led H2H 7-2 at one stage) and look what happened there. At one stage it also seemed like Serena would always be second to Venus. THINGS CAN CHANGE. And the fact that she has beaten Vaidisova and Ivanovic in their last meetings is a step in the right direction for Tati.

Serenidad.
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Golovin does not have a weapon. Even ask her in interviews, she says try to get a lot of balls back. She doesn't really have a weapon AND with no slices, dropshots, netplay. She sits baseline 2 baseline with no weapons. She really doesn't even have the speed to be a MEGA retriever. She's good where she is at. If she were in the top ten right now, it would be an insult to everyone she is above. Get real. Golovin needs a lot of work.

Slutiana
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:03 PM
For a long time Henin seemed like she would always be at the mercy of Clijsters (Clijsters led H2H 7-2 at one stage) and look what happened there. At one stage it also seemed like Serena would always be second to Venus. THINGS CAN CHANGE. And the fact that she has beaten Vaidisova and Ivanovic in their last meetings is a step in the right direction for Tati.

:worship: thats what i've been trying to say. Shes been very passive when shes played them even tho she has a big power game herself. Its obvious that mats been getting her to play aggresively and in her first tournament with him, she gets to a tier 1 semi. not bad.

Golovin does not have a weapon. Even ask her in interviews, she says try to get a lot of balls back. She doesn't really have a weapon AND with no slices, dropshots, netplay. She sits baseline 2 baseline with no weapons. She really doesn't even have the speed to be a MEGA retriever. She's good where she is at. If she were in the top ten right now, it would be an insult to everyone she is above. Get real. Golovin needs a lot of work.

:lol: :tape: stop your trolling. If you think she has no weapons. :lol:

Serenidad.
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:47 PM
Golovin does not have any weapons lol. Her serve is average, no netplay, no slice, no dropshot, backhand is sub-par, her forehand is average. Golovin is not a power player. You need to watch some live tennis. Golovin is not a power player. She has no weapons, sonny. Golovin only wins matches against the top 15 when they have unforced errors NOT when Golovin herself has winners.

Lunaris
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Golovin's biggest problem is that she can't stay injury free. It usually takes her several weeks after coming back from injury to start playing at high level. But then she always gets injured again. It sets back the progress of her entire game and career because after each comeback she must start anew from a low level of play and selfconfidence. It's like a vicious circle. On another note I think she's already proved she can play against and beat top players. Petrova is her bitch, Golovin leads 2-0 against Venus Williams, is tied with Kuznetsova, Chakvetadze and Hantuchova, can challenge Vaidisova and won their last meeting without problems (although Nicole played horribly in that match). Plus some of the matches she lost were played at the time she was coming back from injury. I am not saying she will win Slams, but she also isn't as useless as some posters would like to make her look. I would like her to be healthy for a longer period of time and see what she can do. Now she's been healthy since Wimbledon and yesterday already played in semifinal of the biggest event of the US Open Series.

I'm not a Golovin hater. Her parents left Moscow when she was 8 months old.
I can understand why she doesn't feel a connection.
Pretending everyone else is healthy is absurd.
As well as pretending that everyone is injured.

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Petrova has won 7 titles in the past 2 years. Don't even compare them. Petrova beat Justine in the Berlin final.

Wiggly
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Petrova has won 7 titles in the past 2 years. Don't even compare them. Petrova beat Justine in the Berlin final.

Took her years to win one.

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Then she won 6 more. Petrova beat Capriati and Seles at RG in 2003.
Anyone trying to make a case that Golovin is a better player than Petrova is in dreamland.

Wiggly
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Then she won 6 more. Petrova beat Capriati and Seles at RG in 2003.
Anyone trying to make a case that Golovin is a better player than Petrova is in dreamland.

Tatiana has 6 years to wins 6 Titles.
And she leads the H2H 5-1.

husse
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Golovin does not have any weapons lol. Her serve is average, no netplay, no slice, no dropshot, backhand is sub-par, her forehand is average. Golovin is not a power player. You need to watch some live tennis. Golovin is not a power player. She has no weapons, sonny. Golovin only wins matches against the top 15 when they have unforced errors NOT when Golovin herself has winners.

I don't post her usually, but this time I was left with no choice.
If you saw the first set against Jankovic you would have seen how good the stats were. Both had more more winners than errors and Golovin won. The only reason she lost the last sets was her own errors and not because Jankovic blew her of the court.
And Tati herself said that she wanted Wilander to help her with her clutch play. Last night she had several errors in crucial time, where she rushed things.

Now if you don't like a player, and you want to talk bad about them, go ahead.
But don't lie do get your point across.

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Hold your breath until she gets her second.
Nadia won 7 in the last 2 years, plus several other finals.

woosey
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:17 PM
tati could use a lob on both sides, a better dropshot and more accuracy in her groundstrokes. other than that, i really enjoyed watching her vs. jankovic. like the aggressive play very much.

Wiggly
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Hold your breath until she gets her second.
Nadia won 7 in the last 2 years, plus several other finals.

You already said that.

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Petrova was ranked #3 going into the 2006 FO, but had an injury and missed almost 5 months.
She still has almost nothing to defend untl Stuttgart, where she had an easy win last year in a weak field.

Wiggly
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Tatiana has a better winning percentage this year.

Ceri
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:32 PM
If Wilander can introduce something new into her game then we won't see it in less than six months. The question is whether they will cooperate that long. I personally think that Golovin would have been much higher than she is now if she wasn't injured so often. And I am not a person who would overhype players. I think her movement is sufficient as of now but in next years it will be harder to maintain the same level as she will grow older and it will be harder to keep the ankles injury free. She should plan her schedule in a similar way like some older injury prone players already do nowadays.

Well said. Tati is obviously young enough to add depth and more touch to her game, but she needs to be careful scheduling -wise.

Warrior
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM
What she really needs to improve is her backhand. TG hits it very short and makes many errors with it. It's a very vulnerable side. At the very least she should start slicing it. Otherwise she'll get stuck at the level she's now.

TG's forehand is a different matter. It's one of my most favorite shots to watch!

Lunaris
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:37 PM
I didn't say Golovin is better than Petrova in term of overall success. Other posters wrote Tatiana is useless against top players (or something like that between the lines). I only wanted to prove that she can play against top players. Of course Petrova is more successful as of now and a better player overall, but she also is six years older and had not won a title till she was 23, whereas Golovin has won her first title in her 19 this season. As I said I would like Golovin to be healthy for a long period of time to see whether she can silence her critics or prove her defenders like me wrong instead.
Note that I have nothing against Petrova although her antics on court can be pretty annoying from time to time.

Steve-o
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:50 PM
What she really needs to improve is her backhand. TG hits it very short and makes many errors with it. It's a very vulnerable side. At the very least she should start slicing it. Otherwise she'll get stuck at the level she's now.

I totally agree. The backhand is such an average shot compared to her awesome forehand.

I thought Tati played so well against Jankovic this week, she was more aggressive than I've seen her before.

Slutiana
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:14 PM

no ones comparing them. Petrova is 1-5 to tati and so is tati's bitch.

I totally agree. The backhand is such an average shot compared to her awesome forehand.

I thought Tati played so well against Jankovic this week, she was more aggressive than I've seen her before.

Yesterday, albeit in patches, she showed us that she can hit through it and she acually has a pretty good bhand. She just has to start playing like that all the time. This is her first tounament with mats and she's gotten to the semis of the biggest tounament of the USO Series. This could be big. I think the aggresive play was again, mats' idea. The sky's the limit!

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Then Golovin is totally Zvonareva's bitch, since Golovin won only 7 games in 2 matches.

Slutiana
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Then Golovin is totally Zvonareva's bitch, since Golovin won only 7 games in 2 matches.

great. now can you go?

Lunaris
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:39 PM
The most entertaining thing in this thread for me is that had Golovin stayed in Russia and represented it goldenlox would have been defending her just like me instead of critisizing her. The absolutely same player. :lol:

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't defend her from those insults at Nadia.

Wiggly
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:42 AM

Ok? :confused:

yukon145
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:57 AM
i think goldenlox really loves Golovin. he/she seems to afraid to admit it though.

its ok, we all love Tati and won't judge you.

Serenidad.
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Umm. Yes Tatiana leads H2H against Petrova. Everyone has like that some person on tour that their game just is perfect for the other person to win against. If you look deep enough, everyone has that person that they hate playing.

hablo
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:41 AM
I saw Tati play in Toronto vs Schiavone and, surprisingly, I found that she didn't hit the ball that hard (consistently). I don't know. I wouldn't put her in the brainless bashing category. :shrug:

It just seems like sometimes she chooses the wrong shot or sets herself up for the winner and just misses (either because she's going for the perfect shot or got a bit tight). Anyhow, I find her game enjoyable to watch. I think she needs to improve her serve & volleys, and (maybe) her movement around the court.

cellophane
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:47 AM
I still think she is a very, very average player. I don't understand all the hype about her being a future Grand Slam winner at all.

Havok
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:55 AM
The one big thing that GOlovin needs to work on is how to hit a proper bh on the run. She knows exactly what to do when on the full stretch with the forehand side (she usually curls it cross court and gives it enough "junk" so she can get back to the middle of the court), but with her backhand she either gives it such shitty power that it doesn't even make it across the net to the other side, or it drops between the net and her opponen't service box :o.

When Golovin is being aggressive, her backhand transforms and becomes a pretty good shot (see Nasdaq semis 06, Canada semis this week). When she isn't being all-out aggressive, it's so shitty and weak and is hit with way too much topspin and falls short.

Her movement is good enough. It can imrpove, but only marginally. Movement isn't a big issue for her though. Her anticipation is great. Her forehand is something special. It sort of looks like a Mary Pierce forehand, but played with the brain of Martina Hingis. Her serve is great, and she has a very good 2nd serve. Return of serve is also good. Had she not gotten injured post Amelia Island, she would be top 10 by now for sure.

Slutiana
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:54 AM
The one big thing that GOlovin needs to work on is how to hit a proper bh on the run. She knows exactly what to do when on the full stretch with the forehand side (she usually curls it cross court and gives it enough "junk" so she can get back to the middle of the court), but with her backhand she either gives it such shitty power that it doesn't even make it across the net to the other side, or it drops between the net and her opponen't service box :o.

When Golovin is being aggressive, her backhand transforms and becomes a pretty good shot (see Nasdaq semis 06, Canada semis this week). When she isn't being all-out aggressive, it's so shitty and weak and is hit with way too much topspin and falls short.

Her movement is good enough. It can imrpove, but only marginally. Movement isn't a big issue for her though. Her anticipation is great. Her forehand is something special. It sort of looks like a Mary Pierce forehand, but played with the brain of Martina Hingis. Her serve is great, and she has a very good 2nd serve. Return of serve is also good. Had she not gotten injured post Amelia Island, she would be top 10 by now for sure.

agreed. Well said although her 2nd serve could do with a bit of topspin. Its not bad now though

Serenidad.
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:19 PM
You people are so blind. Tatiana does not hit the ball nearly as hard as Mary Pierce off the forehand side. AGAIN, WATCH SOME LIVE TENNIS. You will see that Tatiana doesn't really hit the ball hard at all. Her forehand is just more consistent. Just because you like a player, do not blind yourself. The girl is average not a slam winner. She can't play on clay, and I've watched her grass game -- it is just as bad. If she were to win it would have to be on a hardcourt. USO or AO, which I doubt both.

Craigy
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:21 PM
i think goldenlox really loves Golovin. he/she seems to afraid to admit it though.

its ok, we all love Tati and won't judge you.

Tati was born in Russia. Goldenlox obviously has a soft spot for her. :hearts:

cellophane
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:27 PM
She can't play on clay, and I've watched her grass game -- it is just as bad. If she were to win it would have to be on a hardcourt. USO or AO, which I doubt both.

I thought clay would suit her game more than hardcourts.

HTE
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:08 PM
I don't understand all the hype about her being a future Grand Slam winner at all.

She has already got one ;)

Lunaris
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:09 PM
She won Amelia Island beating V. Williams, Ivanovic and Petrova en route to the title. Surely she is crap on clay.
btw. nobody of Tatiana fans in this thread said she would win Slams. That she never will was written by her critics to strengthen their position even though there was never any argument about it.

Slutiana
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I thought clay would suit her game more than hardcourts.

dw, that person's just a hater. She's very versatile. She hacks on clay. Remember, she won her title on clay. Grass is the only time she attacks in every match but the last two wimbledons seemed to have been at the start of her comeback where she's playing badly:o She's obviously good on hard and she finds a medium between Attacking and hacking. However, in th the USO, she was hacking against petrova and chakvetadze and then attacked against sharapova. She just needs to practice her offensive play because she's great when going for her shots. Im not saying shes gonna win every GS :tape: but shes dangerous on every surface./

jonny84
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I hope Golovin improves over the next few seasons. She has so much potential. Remember her from the 2004Australian Open when she had the WC and reached the 4R. Thought we'd have seen more titles from her already........

cellophane
Aug 20th, 2007, 04:30 PM
She won Amelia Island beating V. Williams, Ivanovic and Petrova en route to the title. Surely she is crap on clay.
btw. nobody of Tatiana fans in this thread said she would win Slams. That she never will was written by her critics to strengthen their position even though there was never any argument about it.

It's not about this thread in particular... it's about this board in general... she's been hyped as a top 5 player / future Slam winner... as for why IMO she won't win slams unless Serena, Henin, Sharapova and Venus retire... I really don't think she has anything that good in her game. Her first serve is quite good, and her forehand is pretty good, but nowhere near the best on tour, but other than that I see absolutely nothing in her game that would threaten a Justine or a Venus or a Serena or even Jankovic on a consistent basis. I think she could beat Vaidisova and Ivanovic (and she has), but I don't think these two are "great" players right now. She could and will probably also beat Kuznetsova (and again she has!) considering how inconsistent she is and Chakvetadze (she's beaten her too) right now. Okay, so I guess I'm agreeing that she can beat a bunch of top 10 players, and maybe if Serena, Henin, Sharapova and Venus all retire, she could beat them - assuming that they stay where they are or are as inconsistent as Kuznetsova - and win a slam. For now, beating Ivanovic, Venus on green clay and Nadia just doesn't convince me though.