PDA

View Full Version : A freefalling Svetlana Kuznetsova

HammerGirl
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:51 PM
It's sad that her name isn't even mentioned much as a potential slam candidate. She hasn't won a title this year and she's losing her edge. She should make some changes before she becomes the next Myskina or Dementieva. Maybe that H2H against Justine is what makes her unmotivated :sad:

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Sveta moves up from #5 to #4 in next week's rankings.
I wouldn't call that freefalling.

AcesHigh
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Um....Sveta is doing great this year, IMO, and her performance at Wimbledon was impressive. If Venus wasn't on fire, she had a great chance at the title.

Thanx4nothin
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Um....Sveta is doing great this year, IMO, and her performance at Wimbledon was impressive. If Venus wasn't on fire, she had a great chance at the title.

I don't think so, she would have found a way to lose against Ana or even Marion. She's another mental midget, but I still like her :)

Chunchun
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I started to like her after she've dumbed that short blonde hair. The current one is truly adorable :worship:

mckyle.
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:43 PM
She's consistently done good at the big events. She's having her most consistent year at the slams, and she's made three Tier One finals. I think that's the most this season. Her first slam was premature, like Serena's first slam was. She's only 22 and she's got so many more years ahead of her.

itzhak
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:47 PM
4 finals, 3 of them tier 1 (IW, Berlin, Rome) and big tier 2 (Doha), 1/4 finals in RG and Wimbeldon, top 5 all of 2007, allmost sure for Madrid, probably will be in the russian team for the fed cup final- totally freefalling...:scratch: :scratch:

jonny84
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Her season hasnt been that bad - shes got to some major finals (Indian Wells, Berlin, Rome, Dubai), but has just fallen short each time.If she had won a title this thread wouldnt exist.

mckyle.
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Just imagine if she had won ALL of those titles. She'd be close to #1.

Shepster
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Her overall consistency is almost identical to last year - 4 finals, only missing the quarters 3 times. Difference is she's lost all those finals and problem is against top 20 players she is just as likely to lose as she is win - that's where she needs to step up.

Dawn Marie
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Sveta is the real deal. Right now I think she should seek a sprts psychologist. She melts when it comes to the big stage. Sveta should have won at least 2 titles this year. I mean I think she did great but she has some mental problems going on as well!

CrossCourt~Rally
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:16 PM
4 finals, 3 of them tier 1 (IW, Berlin, Rome) and big tier 2 (Doha), 1/4 finals in RG and Wimbeldon, top 5 all of 2007, allmost sure for Madrid, probably will be in the russian team for the fed cup final- totally freefalling...:scratch: :scratch:

Yeah, i think she's having a great year. She has just come up a bit short of taking a title in a few tourneys. She will def. end the year within the top 10 and most likely qualify for the end of year champs :bounce:

TNT96
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:21 PM
If she breaks this title drought she will be fine
If it continues then things dont look so good for her confidence

spriwi
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:26 PM

:haha:
well said

Kworb
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:30 PM
She played insanely well when she won the US Open. I hope she can one day find that form again.

yohaneuano4
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I don't believe she can 'run through' or 'rack up' (whatever technical jargon you want to use) a fortnight of wins, especially against top 10 players at the latter end. I have a feeling she might win the Kremlin Cup though.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I don't think so, she would have found a way to lose against Ana or even Marion. She's another mental midget, but I still like her :)

most of the Russians are, save for Sharapova. you owe me 5cents for using "mental midget":lol:

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:47 PM
To me, mental midget is when you don't know who you just played.

Wayn77
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:59 PM
most of the Russians are, save for Sharapova. you owe me 5cents for using "mental midget":lol:

to me "mental midget" are dumbass people sitting around watching dumbass Big Brother/X-Factor TV shows. :D

Still only 20/21 I would say Sveta has the game to be a serious Slam contender. Probably gave Venus Williams her toughest match at Wimbledon (the first set anyway). Kuzy is still searching for that final piece in her game to the next level. To beat the top players and win the big prizes. When she finds it - watch out.

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I think it's physical more than mental.

Look at her last 8 losses, Golovin, Venus, Ivanovic, Jelena, Ivanovic, Bondarenko, Peer, Hantuchova.
Golovin and Jelena can hit with some spin but they hit relatively flat.
Ivanovic, Venus, Hantuchova, and Bondarenko hit relatively flat.

She's lost to 6 players 7 times in 5 months who hit relatively flat shots.
To me that tells me that she isn't getting under the ball like she should and it's likely due to her getting to shots late.

HammerGirl
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I'm sorry but for a former GS winner, reaching finals of some tournaments, even Tier 1s isn't good enough. You expect more, especially if she has lots of talent. Last year she had the easiest road to a GS final still lost it to Justine in the end. You wonder how many more times she'll have favourable draws like that.

Anyone can easily say that they would swap 20 tier 1 to 1 GS any day so reaching Tier 1 finals isn't good enough for Sveta.

HammerGirl
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:22 PM

And Sharapova is the gamesmanship and mental giant and talent midget.

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Kuznetsova has had health issues all year. She had a respiratory illness in January and withdrew from Sydney. Then she had an abdominal problem, then a shoulder problem.
But all the players are dealing with injuries. This is a sport for masochists.

rrfnpump
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Kuznetsova never was a slam candidate, mostly because she is unable to win against Henin. And because she sucks.

Her win at the USO was a fluke, she beat an injured Davenport who played on one leg and barely escaped. She also had problems with Frazier. She had a very very lucky draw.

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:59 PM
She's #4 in the world. She won a major, reached another slam final, and won Miami.
If she sucks, then 99.9% of the WTA tour sucks.

rrfnpump
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:14 PM

Well, ....

Yarden
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:16 PM
She's #4 in the world. She won a major, reached another slam final, and won Miami.

well said :worship:

AcesHigh
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Kuznetsova never was a slam candidate, mostly because she is unable to win against Henin. And because she sucks.

Her win at the USO was a fluke, she beat an injured Davenport who played on one leg and barely escaped. She also had problems with Frazier. She had a very very lucky draw.

:help:

She's backed it up MANY times. No way she's a fluke.. aside from her down year in 2005, her results have been impressive. She just needs to get over some mental issues because she has the talent to be top 3.

DefyingGravity
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Svetlana is having a fantastic, consistant year compared to the other stars on tour. She's going to do so well for the rest of her career if she keeps playing like this. She's going to win RG one day. If she starts really smacking her serve and forehand again, then I'd have her winning on a fast surface. She looked very good against Venus at Wimbledon.

rrfnpump
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:26 PM
:help:

She's backed it up MANY times.

Miami 2006... anything else?
Dont come up with FO 06, because she didnt beat anybody important on clay.

AllezH1
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:28 PM
She is a Top 5 player...nothing more, nothing less.

Most of the time only because she is the only one healthy competing in WTA Tournaments.

Time will tell, she is loaded with talent.

Chrisi
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:28 PM

You're so right. I can tell you many players, who I would call freefalling, but Sveta :fiery:

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:29 PM
She beat Justine on clay this year. The only player who did that this year.

Wayn77
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:31 PM

Nasty and immature. And if she sucks all the players in your sig are sucking a lot harder.

Yes Davenport was injured: but I remember an no-less expert than John McEnroe confidently predicting Sveta would beat a fully fit Lindsay in that match.

AllezH1
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:32 PM
She beat Justine on clay this year. The only player who did that this year.

What else has she done, GoldieLox?

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:39 PM
She won the USO at 19. Won Miami and reached the RG final at 20.
She turned 22 last month. Losts of time ahead of her.

rrfnpump
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Nasty and immature. And if she sucks all the players in your sig are sucking a lot harder.

Now that is an immature answer, because it doesnt matter how much my faves suck, I am not a good-weather fan. :) And it completely missed the point of the thread.

Yes Davenport was injured: but I remember an no-less expert than John McEnroe confidently predicting Sveta would beat a fully fit Lindsay in that match.

McEnroe an expert in womens tennis. :spit: :lol:
He pretty much has no clue on what he is talking about most of the time when it comes to womens tennis.

For me, her Slam title was a complete fluke, she had so much luck with the draw, with Davenport's injury etc. I mean getting Dementieva at a slam final is a gift, ask Myskina. :lol:

Kuznetsova has the talent to be a Top10 player, yes, Top5 maybe. But she will never be a player that is feared by others. She is not a slam candidate as long as Henin, Williams' are around. She has an ugly game, she makes too many errors and looks uninspiring on the court. 90% of her matches are not worth to watch (well, if you like seeing tons of UEs, then yes.)

goldenlox
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:00 PM
And not only did Sveta make the RG final in 2006, she had matchpoints against the winners in 2004 and 2005.
Sveta will be a major FO force for many years. And she played pretty well at Wimbledon.

eck
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Hammer, if you're so upset with WTA tennis, go watch men's then, which is boring as ever.

tenn_ace
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:48 PM
She is a Top 5 player...nothing more, nothing less.

Most of the time only because she is the only one healthy competing in WTA Tournaments.

Time will tell, she is loaded with talent.

she's been in and out of injury breaks, FYI :rolleyes:

Bruno71
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:49 PM

Look at her last 8 losses, Golovin, Venus, Ivanovic, Jelena, Ivanovic, Bondarenko, Peer, Hantuchova.

To me that tells me that she isn't getting under the ball like she should and it's likely due to her getting to shots late.

I think it's more physical, but not for that reason. Sveta's game can fall to pieces against top players, especially ones who have the ability to grind away like JJ, Henin, or Peer. Look at her 3rd set against Justine in Dubai and that's what I'm talking about. It's not dissimilar to what I've seen in a few Venus matches this year...definitely seems like a physical fatigue issue. If she can fix that problem, she'll be contending for slams.

tenn_ace
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:50 PM

:weirdo:

and that is coming from a fan of who???? :haha: :rolleyes:

Matt01
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:41 PM

I actually agree that Kuzzy's problems are physical and not only mental. Your provided explaination for that is far-fetched and makes no sense, though.

rrfnpump
Aug 20th, 2007, 07:08 AM
:weirdo:

and that is coming from a fan of who???? :haha: :rolleyes:

It is beyond me how people are so stupid that they can post an answer like this. Am I only able to judge about Igor when I am a fan of a player ranked above her. :weirdo:

Its always the same... if one criticizes a player the fan of this player comes up with "look at your faves" which is absolutely irrelevant for the discussion. I am not only a fan of players when they win, I just like their games.

I am disappointed, tenn_ace. :awww:

goldenlox
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:13 AM
You're comment was the stupid one, that Sveta sucks.
Of all the players younger than Henin, only Sharapova has accomplished more than Sveta.
Sveta is one of the young stars on the tour. That's so obvious, that you have to sound like a 5 year old to argue with it.

Viktymise
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:24 AM

I agree about the USO lucky draw. Frazier choked against her in the 3rd round. Pierce was injured. Petrova is hopeless in big slam matches. Davenport was cruising then got injured. Dementieva was exhausted and was not the same as she was in the rest of the event.

The slam came too early and she couldn't live up to expectations. This year she has struggled to close out the finals. Im pretty sure though that she will win more slams in the future as she has an all round game, good serve, huge groundies, good athlete. The only thing mising right now is the mental side of things

goldenlox
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:38 AM
That's bull. Then you might as well invalidate Serena's AO.
Justine wasn't there, Sharapova was injured. So was Mauresmo. She's beating Peer and Vaidisova in the QF and SF, and they aren't slam threats.

frontier
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Sveta tires easily she has not won a title this year and since she won the Open she has sorta stagnated.She has lost to players that one assumes with her ranking she should beat like Hantukova at IW,Australia Open- Peer,and Ana has dominated her this year.When she won 2004 she was really sharp but since then she is patchy some days she plays good some day really bad like she did against Golovina in Toronto.

Shepster
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Somebody needs to learn the difference between "draw" and "run". Her draw was hard. She DREW Henin for the 1/4 finals, Sharapova/Pierce in the last 16 and Frazier with home advantage in the 3rd round.

goldenlox
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:18 AM
You can spin almost any draw into a fluke. Davenport was up 41 in the 3rd. Watch the tape. Sveta was in a zone, pounding balls into corners.

laurie
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Seems to be a few comedians on this message board. Since when does a "mental midget" get to four finals, two slam quarterfinals and no 4 in the world in 8 months?

I see Svetlana very much as a work in progress and a girl in transition. I think she is still finding herself, her consitency and capabilities. Sometimes she makes the most incredible improvising volleys and other times the most elementary errors on her forehand or backhand down the line. Usually through lack of good execution of movement - getting into the right position before hitting the shots.

Svetlana is not a 20 shot rally girl, she wants to get the job done quick if she can. That's why she always reminds me of players like Sampras, she's not afraid to come to net to end the point or to pull the trigger with the forehand.

So for me basically with young shotmakers it always comes down to two things:

- Can she start learning to win when she is not playing or feeling her best

- With all the shots she has, can she come up with a formula of consistency and stick to certain winning patterns during a match - another expression for maturity.

When Sampras in 1993 and Federer in 2003 figured that out, they went from talented shotmakers to consistent great players. I undesrtand Navratilova went through a similar transition.

It's in Svetlana's hands as to how far she can go in the game of Tennis.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Seems to be a few comedians on this message board. Since when does a "mental midget" get to four finals, two slam quarterfinals and no 4 in the world in 8 months?

I see Svetlana very much as a work in progress and a girl in transition. I think she is still finding herself, her consitency and capabilities. Sometimes she makes the most incredible improvising volleys and other times the most elementary errors on her forehand or backhand down the line. Usually through lack of good execution of movement - getting into the right position before hitting the shots.

Svetlana is not a 20 shot rally girl, she wants to get the job done quick if she can. That's why she always reminds me of players like Sampras, she's not afraid to come to net to end the point or to pull the trigger with the forehand.

- With all the shots she has, can she come up with a formula of consistency and stick to certain winning patterns during a match - another expression for maturity.

When Sampras in 1993 and Federer in 2003 figured that out, they went from talented shotmakers to consistent great players. I undesrtand Navratilova went through a similar transition.

:worship:

Thanx4nothin
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I love Sveta and can't wait to see her win another slam.

mandy7
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:24 PM
she's like, 5 or 6 in the world now right?
that means that in the top 100, 95 or 94 girls, suck HARDER than she does

why the hell are you bitching at Sveta?
she hasn't been fully fit this year
and is still high up the ranks
she's a fine player, nice girl, talented athlete,
leave her alone

DownTheLine21
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Kuznetsova is so inconsistent. Of the current Top 5 players, I imagine most players on the tour would choose to face Svetlana. Prone to upsets, she always gives her opponents a fighting chance.

Wayn77
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:39 PM
When she is completely on: Sveta is unstoppable and stunning to watch.

I remember her destruction of Martina Hingis in front of an open-mouthed home crowd in Zurich last year - thrilling stuff. She did the same to Petrova in Stuttgart I think, unplayable. Played pretty well at Wimbledon too - the first set against Venus was probably the best quality wise, of the tournament.

Sveta is searching and trying to find that tricky extra dimension to her game to be in contention for the big prizes. I reckon she will find it too.

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Kuznetsova is so inconsistent. Of the current Top 5 players, I imagine most players on the tour would choose to face Svetlana. Prone to upsets, she always gives her opponents a fighting chance.

youre saying this when ivanovic just got whupped by yan :confused:

tenn_ace
Aug 21st, 2007, 02:16 AM
It is beyond me how people are so stupid that they can post an answer like this. Am I only able to judge about Igor when I am a fan of a player ranked above her. :weirdo:

Its always the same... if one criticizes a player the fan of this player comes up with "look at your faves" which is absolutely irrelevant for the discussion. I am not only a fan of players when they win, I just like their games.

I am disappointed, tenn_ace. :awww:

what reaction do you expect from fans when you posted that Sveta sucks? :scratch: :rolleyes: :weirdo:

if you posted some constructive critisism of her game - no problem (we critisize her all the time in Sveta's thread), but just that she sucks... you got what you deserved.

tenn_ace
Aug 21st, 2007, 02:18 AM
she's like, 5 or 6 in the world now right?
that means that in the top 100, 95 or 94 girls, suck HARDER than she does

why the hell are you bitching at Sveta?
she hasn't been fully fit this year
and is still high up the ranks
she's a fine player, nice girl, talented athlete,
leave her alone

:yeah:

tenn_ace
Aug 21st, 2007, 02:20 AM

:worship: :worship: :worship:

UDACHi
Aug 21st, 2007, 02:27 AM
she's a very consistent player, but is missing any big slam results or big titles in her recent past, so she doesn't get mentioned often in slam talk. she's actually quite underrated considering her consistency.

friendsita
Aug 21st, 2007, 04:50 AM
I like Svetla so good luck girl!

Serge007
Aug 21st, 2007, 05:49 AM
well, i hope Sveta will win Pilot Pen... for beginning.

mandy7
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:44 AM
hopefully she reaches the new haven final :D

svetaisthebest
Aug 21st, 2007, 10:35 AM
I never knew when reaching the quarterfinals of an event was "freefalling " .Sveta has been one of the most consistent players this year reaching many quarter finals,semi finals and finals .She also has an incredible potential and will soon be one of the consistent favourites for future grand slams .

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 7th, 2007, 07:56 PM
:haha: