PDA

View Full Version : Venus' "Big Surprise" for the US Open

-VSR-
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:19 PM
By RAAKHEE MIRCHANDANI

August 19, 2007 -- TENNIS goddess Venus Williams has balls. After years of campaigning, the California-based Wimbledon winner served up an ace this year in France - finally convincing Wimbledon and French Open tennis officials to offer equal prize money to female winners as they do to male ones.

She was also the first beneficiary: Williams won this year's tournament and took home nearly $1.4 million, the same as Roger Federer, who won the men's title.

From hot pants to her sister Serena's scary serve, The Post spoke to Williams about all the things that matter to her: fashion, sisterhood and playing like a girl.

Q: You helped make history this year - 2007 marks the first year that women were offered the same amount of prize money as men. And French tennis president Christian Bimes said you were the girl who finally changed all the boys' minds. What did you say to them?

A: What happens at Wimbledon is all kinds of meetings go on. And there's an important meeting before the finals, and I went to speak to them about how it was important for women around the world for us to set an example. I asked them to close their eyes and imagine how they would want their daughter to be treated. I told them we all have the same heart, and asked them if they could feel the difference between if it was a woman or a man sitting next to them. I hope no one was peeking. I don't think they were because it worked. We have to set an example for women around the world.

Q: Did you know that this would be the year everything would change?

A: We didn't know, but we knew we were going to fight. It was very exciting. But when I got the news, I was pretty surprised. I was already planning our next move.

Q: And then you won Wimbledon and became the first woman to actually benefit from the equal cash policy. Now that's success, right?

A: I'd love to cap it off by holding another U.S. Open trophy. Thankfully, I've got some practice doing that. :devil:

Q: Speaking of practice, do you and Serena practice together?

A: We practice when we get up. Sometimes she gets up earlier. But when I hear the door open I race to get out of bed. We work very hard, but sometimes we like to sleep in. But sleeping in for us is like 9 a.m.

Q: Who is your greatest tennis rival?

A: Serena, definitely. She runs as fast, she serves as big; she's my match. It's scary to play yourself across the net. She is the player I have the most respect for. She's unpredictable, and you can't guess where she's going to hit the ball. Her serve is huge, and the scariest part is my serve is bigger but she can return it just as fast as I hit it. Do I hit low? Do I hit high? When I walk out on the court when I play her I'm thinking about what she might do.

Q: Your boyfriend is a golfer. Are you both just as competitive in real life as you are on the court and the links?

A: He wants to win at everything. I leave my competition on the court, but he doesn't. We compete at pingpong and video games, and recently we've been playing “Metroids,” and he thinks he's really good. But I'm helping him; it's a hard game. But I do try and win - I don't just let him win.

Q: It seemed like this year there was an unusually high number of fashion stories that came out of Wimbledon. First it was Sharapova's Swan Lake dress. Then Golovin's red knickers and your hot pants - do you think people pay too much attention to your backside and not enough to your backhand?

A: I think even back in the day with Billie Jean King and Gussie Moran, who had the ruffle panties, it's been a love affair with tennis and fashion forever. It's no different now. I think certain people were really into the fashion, and some women did daring things.

Q: Do you think the fashion overpowers the sport?

A: I don't think so. For me, when I'm playing well, I feel like I'm putting on a great show. Even though it's my life and my career, it's so important to me. And when I hear people say “Wow!” I know I'm putting on a great show.

I hope people are talking about my fashion, for sure. But I sure hope they're talking about my forehand, too.

Q: It's got to be hard not to considering your Wilson Factor limited-edition racket with 22-carat gold leaf laid into the frame! Can you tell us about your Open wardrobe?

A: No. I'm sorry. I just can't. It's a big surprise. :bounce:

Q: Looking back, which of your crazy outfits would you rethink?

A: It was the '03 Australian Open, and I was wearing this weird dress. It was white with racer stripes across the chest and it just wasn't me. I didn't design it, and I had nothing to do with it.

Q: Do you have any wardrobe superstitions?

A: I wouldn't wear yellows, red or lime green for a while because I had lost important matches in those colors. :lol: But I was just being silly. Since that time, I've started wearing them all.

The score

Born: Venus Ebone Starr Williams, June 17, 1980, in Lynwood, Calif.

Show them the money: Venus isn't the only tennis pro to petition for female players' rights. In 1972, legendary tennis great Billie Jean King threatened to boycott the 1973 U.S. Open if they didn't begin awarding women the same amount of prize money they awarded the men. She didn't win the following year, but Margaret Smith Court did - and she got her fair share.

Top design: Venus is founder and CEO of the design firm “V Starr Interiors.” As a part of the U.S. bid package for New York to host the 2012 games, V Starr helped design the Olympic athletes apartments.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08192007/entertainment/hot_seat_entertainment_raakhee_mirchandani.htm?pag e=1

vw.
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks for posting! I can't wait to see her at the Open! :hearts:

soomaal
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Thanks!

jonny84
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Never knew that Venus was behind the equal prize-money.

Good way to make them change their minds as well Venus :yeah:

Hope she does well at the US Open. She could pull of a surprise again!

jonny84
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Never knew that Venus was behind the equal prize-money.

Good way to make them change their minds as well Venus :yeah:

Hope she does well at the US Open. She could pull of a surprise again!

s_j
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:59 PM
What matches did she lose wearing those colours?

austennis
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:01 PM
lol whats her big outfit going to be? i bet we seen before.. come on venus shock us

supergrunt
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Nice interview :) !

BigBabeTENNIS
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:21 PM
she has lost a fw macthes wearing yellow frenchopen 2001 to scheet and aussiopen 2006 in yellow

40-0
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Im biding already for the dress... is between a catsuit or a gold dress

MrSerenaWilliams
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:42 PM
What matches did she lose wearing those colours?

Lime Green - I think there was lime green on her 2002 FO Dress
Yellow - 2003 AO, Miami :sad:

Surprised that she didn't say pink :lol:

2005 Antwerp, FO :tape::lol:

:hearts: Vee

That bit about Hank and Meteroids was :haha:

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:48 PM
By RAAKHEE MIRCHANDANI

Top design: Venus is founder and CEO of the design firm “V Starr Interiors.” As a part of the U.S. bid package for New York to host the 2012 games, V Starr helped design the Olympic athletes apartments.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/08192007/entertainment/hot_seat_entertainment_raakhee_mirchandani.htm?pag e=1

i never knew that-didnt do any good did it, london got em-get in!!! ;)

schorsch
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:50 PM
cool interview hehe :lol:

volta
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:26 PM
loved it :hearts: thanks for posting :yeah:

woosey
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:28 PM
i'm guessing her favorite color to play in is white.

moon
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:35 PM
By RAAKHEE MIRCHANDANI

August 19, 2007 -- TENNIS goddess Venus Williams has balls. After years of campaigning, the California-based Wimbledon winner served up an ace this year in France - finally convincing Wimbledon and French Open tennis officials to offer equal prize money to female winners as they do to male ones.

She was also the first beneficiary: Williams won this year's tournament and took home nearly $1.4 million, the same as Roger Federer, who won the men's title.

From hot pants to her sister Serena's scary serve, The Post spoke to Williams about all the things that matter to her: fashion, sisterhood and playing like a girl.

Q: You helped make history this year - 2007 marks the first year that women were offered the same amount of prize money as men. And French tennis president Christian Bimes said you were the girl who finally changed all the boys' minds. What did you say to them?

A: What happens at Wimbledon is all kinds of meetings go on. And there's an important meeting before the finals, and I went to speak to them about how it was important for women around the world for us to set an example. I asked them to close their eyes and imagine how they would want their daughter to be treated. I told them we all have the same heart, and asked them if they could feel the difference between if it was a woman or a man sitting next to them. I hope no one was peeking. I don't think they were because it worked. We have to set an example for women around the world.

Q: Did you know that this would be the year everything would change?

A: We didn't know, but we knew we were going to fight. It was very exciting. But when I got the news, I was pretty surprised. I was already planning our next move.

Q: And then you won Wimbledon and became the first woman to actually benefit from the equal cash policy. Now that's success, right?

A: I'd love to cap it off by holding another U.S. Open trophy. Thankfully, I've got some practice doing that. :devil:

Q: Speaking of practice, do you and Serena practice together?

A: We practice when we get up. Sometimes she gets up earlier. But when I hear the door open I race to get out of bed. We work very hard, but sometimes we like to sleep in. But sleeping in for us is like 9 a.m.

Q: Who is your greatest tennis rival?

A: Serena, definitely. She runs as fast, she serves as big; she's my match. It's scary to play yourself across the net. She is the player I have the most respect for. She's unpredictable, and you can't guess where she's going to hit the ball. Her serve is huge, and the scariest part is my serve is bigger but she can return it just as fast as I hit it. Do I hit low? Do I hit high? When I walk out on the court when I play her I'm thinking about what she might do.

Q: Your boyfriend is a golfer. Are you both just as competitive in real life as you are on the court and the links?

A: He wants to win at everything. I leave my competition on the court, but he doesn't. We compete at pingpong and video games, and recently we've been playing “Metroids,” and he thinks he's really good. But I'm helping him; it's a hard game. But I do try and win - I don't just let him win.

Q: It seemed like this year there was an unusually high number of fashion stories that came out of Wimbledon. First it was Sharapova's Swan Lake dress. Then Golovin's red knickers and your hot pants - do you think people pay too much attention to your backside and not enough to your backhand?

A: I think even back in the day with Billie Jean King and Gussie Moran, who had the ruffle panties, it's been a love affair with tennis and fashion forever. It's no different now. I think certain people were really into the fashion, and some women did daring things.

Q: Do you think the fashion overpowers the sport?

A: I don't think so. For me, when I'm playing well, I feel like I'm putting on a great show. Even though it's my life and my career, it's so important to me. And when I hear people say “Wow!” I know I'm putting on a great show.

I hope people are talking about my fashion, for sure. But I sure hope they're talking about my forehand, too.

Q: It's got to be hard not to considering your Wilson Factor limited-edition racket with 22-carat gold leaf laid into the frame! Can you tell us about your Open wardrobe?

A: It was the '03 Australian Open, and I was wearing this weird dress. It was white with racer stripes across the chest and it just wasn't me. I didn't design it, and I had nothing to do with it.

A: I wouldn't wear yellows, red or lime green for a while because I had lost important matches in those colors. :lol: But I was just being silly. Since that time, I've started wearing them all.

The score

Born: Venus Ebone Starr Williams, June 17, 1980, in Lynwood, Calif.

Show them the money: Venus isn't the only tennis pro to petition for female players' rights. In 1972, legendary tennis great Billie Jean King threatened to boycott the 1973 U.S. Open if they didn't begin awarding women the same amount of prize money they awarded the men. She didn't win the following year, but Margaret Smith Court did - and she got her fair share.

nice to see that Vee knows her tennis history. :)

Dawn Marie
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:38 PM
great article!!

simba
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM
nice interview.

Infiniti2001
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Miss Vee http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/1638/yahooyd4.gif

BuTtErFrEnA
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:47 PM
ahh venus it better has be something new lol

jdyshrky
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Let's hope "big surprise" isn't code for "right now I don't have a clue!"

PatrickRyan
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Serena said the same thing before Wimbledon :lol: Im still wondering what that surprise was.

Jogi
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:31 PM
anyone else smells touch of irony?
I think she'll wear the Wimbledon-outfit just in another colour

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Thank God it's just her wardrobe.
At first i thought one of her sisters was going to try to sing the Star Spangle Banner.
I was so scared. :eek:

AllezH1
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:38 PM
Go on, Venus!

I have never cared much for Serena, altough she is probably THE best athlete to ever come through the WTA Tour. Venus is elegant and very much a champion.

Andy.
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:18 AM
I cant wait to see the new outfit

~Eclipsed~
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Go Venus!

Kick ass in whatever you wear at the open!:bounce:

supergrunt
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:53 AM
its golden hot pants :D

LUIS9
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Always so candid. Ain't she charming? hehe :p

Vlover
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:12 AM
[QUOTE=-VSR-;11447174]By RAAKHEE MIRCHANDANI
[B]A: I'd love to cap it off by holding another U.S. Open trophy.

That is all I'm asking. Please make it a double again!:kiss:

V-MAC
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:55 AM
;)

Viktymise
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I can't wait to see her again :)

Ben.
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Great interview :yeah: venus :hearts:

frontier
Aug 20th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Vee,we love you and wish you well at the Open.This year go beyond qfs and make all your fans proud and happy.:kiss:

Ntour
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:30 AM
i'm glad its a wardrobe surprise because otherwise it could turn out like serenas surprise at the french open

vettipooh
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Wow!!! Refreshing and funny and open!! :hearts:

Brandon85
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:14 PM
i love how venus and serena both think they are the only two good players on tour. geez.

Infiniti2001
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:19 PM
i love how venus and serena both think they are the only two good players on tour. geez.

You and your damn preconceived notions UGH What about this interview gave you this impression? :rolleyes:

SV_Fan
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Venus is doing it big right now, I think I would like to see vee and ree in the final for the first time in years.

Direwolf
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Serena said the same thing before Wimbledon :lol: Im still wondering what that surprise was.

Serena is so different from Venus with the way they speak their minds...

tennisIlove09
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I can not wait to see her outfit now!
I hope it's awesome

DA FOREHAND
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:22 PM

i like that too..so much self belief it's probably why they have both won slam titles this year despite a lack of match play.:worship: :worship: :worship:

DefyingGravity
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:04 PM
Okay, she lost the AO 2003 and Miami and 4th Round Roland Garros in that UGLY racer dress. The other yellow dress she lost to Schett in 2001 RG 1 round, and didn't she wear another yellow one to RG 2000 when she lost to Sanchez Vicario. Then of course, there's Pironkova and that ugly yellow dress. The dress wasn't ugly, but it was never meant to be yellow.

Lime green: She lost to Myskina RG 2004, after having a fantastic clay season.

Red: I have never seen Venus in Red, and red is usually a lucky color.

Venus knows that yellow/lime green and Roland Garros don't mix: 3 losses at a GS in yellow, and one win (USO 2000)

Uranium
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:18 PM

She has lost in those colors alot:2006 French Open-lime green and Italian Open
yellow-2006 Australian open and 2001 French Open lose to Schett
red-her 3 set loses this year in that red-orange outfit
I HOPE SHE WEARS SOMETHING GOOD!

Vlover
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:22 PM
Lime green: She lost to Myskina RG 2004, after having a fantastic clay season.
Venus knows that yellow/lime green and Roland Garros don't mix: 3 losses at a GS in yellow, and one win (USO 2000)

I love all her yellow and lime green dresses. I wish she had recycled those instead.:hearts: Anyway I'm glad she realizes that its not the dress but she just seem to play some of her worst tennis at RG. Maybe there is a correlation as to why that is my least liked tournie in tennis.:devil:

V-MAC
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:27 PM
hmm, I just hope those hotpants/shorts will get another showing in Flushing Meadows :drool: