PDA

View Full Version : problem with ivanovic/golovin backhand

tennisrocks123
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:44 AM
obviously their forehands are their better shots , but it seems the majority of their backhands go down the line, which seems to get them in trouble sometimes. is it because their backhands are stiff???

does ivanovic have a semi-open stance backhand??? what about jankovic? a lot of jelena's forehands go too much down the line also.

anyone can answer these??? thanks :-)

ZAK
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:51 AM
I would say their problem is usually lack of depth. I'm all for going down the line as much as possible

brent-o
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:58 AM
The difference (and the reason why she does it so often) in Jelena's down the line backhand is that it's deadly accurate, close to the lines, and hit hard. But I really have no idea why Ivanovic/Golovin go down the line so much.

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:55 AM
um... a lot of Jelena's forehands go crosscourt as well as inside-out.... i see that more often.

Thanx4nothin
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Both hit up on their backhands instead of finishing the action through the ball resulting in the ball landing relatively short and high. JJ has a better forehand than these two players' backhands.

Slutiana
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:38 AM
The difference (and the reason why she does it so often) in Jelena's down the line backhand is that it's deadly accurate, close to the lines, and hit hard. But I really have no idea why Ivanovic/Golovin go down the line so much.

i think its quite obvious. They both have 2 of the biggest and best forehands on tour which players won't usually hit to. If they hit to their opponent's forehands, they will more often than not, hit a crossscourt shot to the tati/ana forehand because crosscourt shots are sfer than DTL and so hit more frequently than DTL. The opponent will more often than not,hit to tati/ana's forehand.

It's kinda hard to explain but i hope i cleared that up for you. I dno if Ana thinks of it like that but i think tati does. Also Jankovic has a pretty great bhand so she was staying away from that lol

Tenis Srbija
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Ana's BH are quite often going cross court... I would say even more then down the line :shrug:
The same thing is with Janković's FH...

jdyshrky
Aug 19th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Yeah I think Tutu has pretty much summed up what I thought.

Firstly hitting a backhand down the line consistently isn't so much a bad thing as it's a pretty difficult shot, it's just a question of not becoming predictable.

As for why, well if you have a fantastic forehand, the best way to set that shot up is to push the ball down line to your opponent's forehand, if they do get it back [and weren't expecting a crosscourt backhand] chances are they'll snap at a crosscourt forehand, leaving Ivanovic and Tati a nice big swing at a forehand.

Dexter
Aug 19th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Ana used to go DTL on her BH wing mostly. She changed it and now she uses her BH CC very effectively... just watch what she was doing in LA.

sammy01
Aug 19th, 2007, 12:31 PM
well ana and tati always hit there backhand open stance not making it as efective as say a davenport or pierce who close the stance when they need to so the can get there body weight forward and riffle the ball! also ana and tati are very upright on there back hands watch venus, davenport, pierce, serena they can sometimes be hitting there backhands with there knees on the floor meaning there not hitting up on the ball so they can hit it harder and it will still go in! it makes ana and tati very predictable on their backhands and not very effective!

mckyle.
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:05 PM
This might be off-topic but I noticed last night that Tatiana's running backhand needs a lot of work. She needs to work on speed because so many times Jelena would hit a shot with good depth and speed to Tatiana's backhand and she could barely catch up to it and when she did catch up to it she hit it very short. She probably just needs to learn how to use one-hand on the run, because that is what Ivanovic does.

Craigy
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Tati just needs the confidence to hit through her backhand. She was doing it from 2-5 to 7-5 1-0 vs Jankovic. You could see how aggressive it was. Hopefully Mats gets her backhand getting better and better. :D

Slutiana
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:11 PM
This might be off-topic but I noticed last night that Tatiana's running backhand needs a lot of work. She needs to work on speed because so many times Jelena would hit a shot with good depth and speed to Tatiana's backhand and she could barely catch up to it and when she did catch up to it she hit it very short. She probably just needs to learn how to use one-hand on the run, because that is what Ivanovic does.

yeah, she does have trouble playing a deep shot on the run to her bhand but it's not speed. Did you see all the DTL and CC on-the-run forehand winners :eek: :drool:

tennisrocks123
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:10 PM
thanks everyone...

last question, does jankovic have an open stance backhand?? i cant tell

smarties
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:36 PM
http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/instructionarticles/backhand/backhand.aspx?id=64266

Mightymirza
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:51 PM
apparantly its golovins game to hit deep in the middle of the court!Most of her BHs hence go in the middle..Not really DTL :shrug:

Chunchun
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:01 PM
JJ backhand is the hottest shot this year :hearts: stunning.

For Ana, she used to hit BH moonball when it's under pressure. Now she has a beautiful slice, and we all see that her BH CC has improved a lot. :D

Slutiana
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM
golovin's backhand look really nice yday when she was hitting through it, she just needs to do it all the time