PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here seriously think Bartoli is anything more than a flash in the pan?

JustineTime
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Seriously?! :tape: :rolleyes:

:help:

I mean, c'mon, I couldn't believe she got as far as she did at the French. She could barely get out of her own way. :help:

And when Justine lost to her at Wimby...:eek: :bolt: :o

Really, does her poor performance since then really surprise anyone???:help:

:confused:

So Disrespectful
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:48 AM
Her performance hasn't been terrible all things considered. Lots of players take a while to settle into their games after a huge and early breakthrough. Ivanovic took her time, and Golovin still hasn't reached her potential.

I don't understand how Bartoli can be worse for having better results.

faboozadoo15
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:52 AM
I really don't see her as a flash in the pan. She may never reach a major final or beat the #1 player again in a major, but she'll be top 10 and win titles when she settles down.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:38 AM
but she'll be top 10 and win titles when she settles down.
I'd be surprised if she could stay consistently in the top 10. I see her more hovering between 10-20...

Mana
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Marions got talent plus. She'll have a great career.

Vlad Tepes
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I don't like her at all, her game, her looks, her nerve to defeat Justine :lol:
However, I think she'll be a top 15 player for the next 11 months at least :tape:

ico4498
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:44 AM
depends on what yah consider a "flash in the pan".

Marion has game, easily top 20 stuff. any player that can occupy a steady place in the upper echelons isn't flash ... thats substance.

jonny84
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I think she will have a successful career.

Wimbledon final wasnt just a flash in the pan - I mean look at who she beat (Justine, Jelena) - and she did give Venus a good match in the final.

I think now she feels the pressure a bit - she has to live up to her being the Wimbledon finalist. She was a first time finalist, and she was ranked outside the Top10, so I suppose it was an oddity her getting to the final - now she has been hyped up, and she has the pressure of always doing well now.

She will do, once people stop reminding her or calling her the Wimbledon finalist.

Tenis Srbija
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:59 AM
You all know I dislike her, but she is top 20 player... She is Wimbledon finalist, she is getting some pretty decent wins every now and there... Just defeated Safina, defeated Justine at Wimbledon, and how many players can say that they defeated her. Janković for example can't...

So I salute to her :yeah:

Harvs
Aug 19th, 2007, 12:15 PM
i can see her always lingering in the 10-25 rankings... winning a few titles and experiecing a few flashes of great play... she will never be a "great" player tho

Serena-rules-no1
Aug 19th, 2007, 12:23 PM
surprised she's gone so high up. she should be round 30-40 IMO but the general suckitude of WTA lately has made her ranking possible

FrenchY52
Aug 19th, 2007, 12:25 PM
She wont go further ;)

Wayn77
Aug 19th, 2007, 12:36 PM
She can sure play and I like her at-ti-tude.

If her game can progress further and the fitness improved I see Mademoiselle Bartoli as a fairly solid top 10nner.

Shepster
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Well, she's still not in the top 10, but is she a "flash in the pan" for being top 20? No. Her record against top 20 players this year is better than Kuznetsova, Chakvetadze, Petrova & Hantuchova and prior to last night was the same as Jankovic's (albeit having played half as many matches against top players).

cellophane
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:11 PM
She will hover somewhere between 8 and 30 in the rankings with the game she currently has.

Sefo
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
I like her a lot and I think it's the injuries that don't let her go further at the moment.

partbrit
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Yes, I think she is more. This was her season to get better and better results, which I believe she would have gotten before if it hadn't been for all the injuries. What I think is that if Marion can stay injury-free, she can maintain a high ranking. If not, I don't see her doing that well.

I hope for the former; I've been watching her for a long time, and I really enjoy her.

Apoleb
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:31 PM
She's a top 10-20 player. That's what she was before Wimbledon, and most likely that's where she'll stay. So basically I don't think her Wimbledon run is indicative of her becoming a solid top 5, or maybe even top 10, player.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:31 PM
She dispatched Justine, and that was no fluke

#1SteffiGraf#1
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:33 PM
She will NEVER be consistant unless she she gets in better shape. She can jump all she wants inbetween points...it means nothing. She needs to do more jumping inbetween matches.

Infiniti2001
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Not that I am a fan , but I seriously hope that Marion proves all her naysayers those who can't accept that wimby semi upset :haha: wrong http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6919/punishak1.gif

silverwhite
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Maybe, but a flash in the pan that happened just in time. ;)

Dawn Marie
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:50 PM
From what I see, she played great tennis at the right time but she'll never do it consistently. I think she's a "flash in the pan" and her rank will go down. She'll be 20/30 player in 2 years where she'll remain until she retires.

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:24 PM
She dispatched Justine, and that was no fluke

She dispatched Justine because Serena took a lot out of Justine.
The Williams Sisters have been doing that for years.

Honestly it wouldn't have mattered who came out of the other semis, it could have been Kraijcek, Jankovic, Hingis, Chakvetadze, Granville, Justine just didn't have the mental ability that day to step it up a level once she was in trouble, something she's pretty much has made a living off of.

Credit to Serena.
You might beat her but she's going to make sure you beat noone else.

Justine did do it on clay at the French but you could tell in that match she knew her biggest test was going to be Jankovic and she came out there on fire.

Justine doesn't play around with Roland Garros. :lol:

JustineTime
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Maybe, but a flash in the pan that happened just in time. ;)

:mad: :fiery:

:ras:

:p