PDA

View Full Version : Venus and Serena Would Demolish McEnroe

CC
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:45 PM
(my title)

Rick Reilly---Sports Illustrated

You cannot be serious, John McEnroe. You cannot mean what you say in your new book. You cannot actually believe you can beat one of the Williams sisters.

You were great. You were three exits past great. But you would get fried, flambéed and fricasseed. They would stomp you, sweep you up and send you home in an earring box.

Did you see the way Sisters Sledgehammer wowed Wimbledon last Saturday in the all-Williams final? Londoners haven't seen that many rockets since World War II. Serena hit a serve 112 mph. Venus hit one 111. You rarely ever got one to 110, Mac, and that was three hairlines ago.

Did you see the way they moved? They cover more grass than fairway mowers. They're quicker than rent money and get to more balls than the duchess of Kent. We'd wish you the best, Mac, but you'd lose in straight sets. Really, to make it fair, you'd have to get the doubles lines.

You should play one of them, though, just for comic relief. Please? Just pick one.

Would you choose the voluptuous Serena, who beat her older sister for the Wimbledon title 7-6 (7-4), 6-3 and is now the single most charming figure in women's sports?

Or would you try your luck with the leggy Venus, the goddess with such reach that she picked balls out of spectators' Pimm's cups all week? In other words, would you like to get run over by a road paver or a wheat combine?

This Sister Act is the best thing to happen to tennis since you and Bjorn. They're Jehovah's Witnesses, so they don't celebrate their birthdays, but we should. They're a gift to this country. They're funny. They're smart. They speak a little French. They design their own dresses and look ravishing in them. And they play a kind of whomping, racing, thrilling tennis never before played by people in skirts.

Look how the girls have grown. They've blown away every lame criticism thrown at them. Insular? They are now distinct personalities with their own sets of friends. Cocky? Nothing but bluebirds come out of their mouths these days. Throwing matches against each other? Are you kidding? Serena screamed, exulted and abused her racket throughout the final. After Venus lost, she looked like she might cry, even when she had to go out and play with Serena in a doubles semifinal an hour later. (They cruised to the doubles title on Sunday, of course.)

Do you realize how hard it is on them, when they have to face each other with a Grand Slam title on the line? How would you like to have to ruin the dreams of your best friend, your home roomie, your road roomie, your favorite schoolmate, your favorite hitting partner and your closest sister, all at once? Hell, yes, it's hard. But they did it last Saturday, played a killer match, gave it their all, from their tiaras to their toes, the best battle of the fortnight by far.

And one minute after it was over, Venus took Serena aside and whispered to her, "Remember, when you accept the plate, you have to curtsy to the duchess." Isn't it great to have your older sister around during sticky moments?

A Williams Wimbledon is an easy Wimbledon. Easy on the engraver. (He had the williams carved the night before.) Easy on the announcer. ("Game, Miss Williams.") Easy on the family-and-friends box. (Everybody knows one another!)

It's so ... fascinating. No two siblings in history have dominated their sport the way these two are dominating tennis. Not the DiMaggios. Not the Mahres. Not the Unsers. The only sisters who came close were Abigail Van Buren and Ann Landers, who cornered the advice market.

Now Serena takes home the unfortunately named Venus Rosewater Dish as Wimbledon queen and sets it next to her sister's pair in the trophy room at the Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., house they share. "At least I can still walk by and see it," the runner-up said wryly afterward.

Serena also snatched No. 1 out of her sister's purse. Can you imagine? Venus can't even say she's the best player in the house now! You just know they'll trade that top ranking back and forth like a dress that fits both. "Do you mind if I borrow Number 1 tonight? I've got a date!"

Sorry, Mac, but even in a strapless Valentino, mesh stockings and spike heels, either of them would kick your butt and not even have to freshen up afterward.

Issue date: July 15, 2002

Gumbycat
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:52 PM
GO WILLIAMS :)

ys
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:08 PM
Another BS-writer..

Callie
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:14 PM
That was a great article. I really do like his articles. You should read them more ys.;)

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:19 PM
Another Great writer! Woohoo! Obviously you haven't been watching mac in his doubles competition. I think serena or venus would take him to town. Now an active player on the atp i dont think so.

Hell the way mac was playing lindsay or jen could give him a run for his money.

Fabulous Article!

QueenO
Jul 11th, 2002, 12:24 AM
Nice Article
LOL@cybelledarkholmexx

Lisbeth
Jul 11th, 2002, 12:52 AM
I like Rick Reilly but I'm not sure how much of a tennis expert he is. I think S and V would have a chance of beating or at least matching McEnroe as he is now (and let's not forget how long it is since he was winning grand slams) but they wouldn't demolish him. They might not even win but it would be close, I would think.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 11th, 2002, 01:19 AM
hasnt anyone been following his seniors double matches? Now just imagine him covering the whole court like that for three sets. also his serve was never that big of a weapon.

espys are on well the pre show and that horrible joan rivers! i love to hate her!

TheBoiledEgg
Jul 11th, 2002, 04:08 AM
Of course the'd demolish McEnroe but that would be 2 of them against him :rolleyes:

John Mc would still win pretty easy in 2 sets.

Men can do so much more with the ball, more spin on all their shots and I don't think either one would win a set, only if he had one serve and had to cover the doubles court as well then they might have a chance.

You guys are pretty deluded.

ys
Jul 11th, 2002, 04:32 AM
"Deluded" is not the right word, Eggy. These folks are happy to agree with and applaud to anything that sounds to their liking, even if it is an obvious idiocy.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 11th, 2002, 04:52 AM
So bjk beating bobby was idocy too right? Well thats what a lot of people thought and look what happened?

No one here is suggesting anyone on the wta tour can beat an active player on the mens side. But saying they can't beat any man is just lunacy.

serena williams would beat michael jordan in tennis. so its really not all about power or speed is it? its also about control and skill and over the years johnny mac has lost some of his skill unless you somehow think he is the same player he was 20 years ago?

But in any case the point is moot because mens and womens tennis is just two different sports.

ys
Jul 11th, 2002, 05:02 AM
Bobby? How old Bobby was when that was played? Does it just seem to me or was Bobby winning Grand Slams even before WW2? Why wouldn't she play someone older?

Darran
Jul 11th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Look what happened when they both played Karsten Braasch (who) a couple of years ago!! I believe McEnroe would still win - not neccassarrily easily but a win nonetheless.

joneg2
Jul 11th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by TheBoiledEgg
Of course the'd demolish McEnroe but that would be 2 of them against him :rolleyes:

John Mc would still win pretty easy in 2 sets.

Men can do so much more with the ball, more spin on all their shots and I don't think either one would win a set, only if he had one serve and had to cover the doubles court as well then they might have a chance.

You guys are pretty deluded.

Eggy...thanks for bringing this thread back to reality. I couldn't believe what I was reading. Once and for all... women cannot beat male college players! Let alone a guy with Mac's skill. And how about the quote..."Mac doesn't have a really good serve?" Are you kidding me? He serves people off the court with spin and placement as well as a deceptive amount of power! I expect Riley to know nothing about tennis... but please posters... there have been so many first hand accounts by posters here who are closely associated with the tour...telling of practice sets, hitting partners and direct qoutes from the girls themselves. Believe them! Oh... and yes... a top 5 WTA women will have a chance against Mac; like BJK against Riggs, IN TEN YEARS, when Mac is 53 like Riggs was then; not the 43 that he is now.

P.S. Don't you know there's a reason why the women never bring this up...they know and are too smart. Bad PR for them. So they always move on. They are great just the way they are and have been made! No need to compete with men except in mixed, for fun.

Pureracket
Jul 11th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Joneg2,
"Eggy...thanks for bringing this thread back to reality. I couldn't believe what I was reading. Once and for all... women cannot beat male college players! Let alone a guy with Mac's skill".

You think JMac can win against college players?

joneg2
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Hey Clocker... very interesting question. Mac would beat 99% of college players. Make that 99.9! Of course there are some that would give him a heck of a battle. Remember, there are hundreds of male tennis players of varying skill. But I would venture to say that the top 5-10 in the nation would give Johhny Mac all he could handle and surely beat him, especially in long, tough three setters.

An example that some of us could relate to might be, Stephen Capriati. He plays at Arizona State, a relatively good division 1 tennis school where he is an average player. He would get killed by Mac in every phase of the game.

eshell
Jul 12th, 2002, 03:41 PM
This debate rages on and on...

I don't care if Serena or Venus could beat Johnny Mac. Kobe can beat Lisa Leslie. Landon Donovan can beat Mia Hamm. So what?!?

It proves nothing except that men and women have different physiques/musculatures and endurance.

Personally, watching how the women's game progresses interests me more. But that's just me. :)

Flappie
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:07 PM
You´re right, Johnny Mac would be DEMOLISHED by them! :D

ys
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:10 PM
You think JMac can win against college players?

Of course. If he beats recently retired players who are younger than him by 5-8 years and are only 35-37, college players will be peace of cake of him. It is not that he is just babbling about his abilities, he actually plays some tennis from time to time, so you can figure out his strength..

Dawn Marie
Jul 12th, 2002, 05:19 PM
This article was nice to read it was pretty funny and spoke well of the top two players.:)

..and as for John Macenroe, I think he would get that ass spanked!! I also think if any WTA player can beat him it would be Venus or Serena.

JOHN would get DEMOLISHED! with his slow azz.:)

disposablehero
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:37 PM
This is not a guy who won 3 Slams and retired more than 20 years ago, like a Riggs. This is an all-time great from the strongest era of the men's game who was still beating guys like Becker, Ivanisevic, and Krajicek in tour events just 10 years ago.

Jay
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:45 PM
I saw Johnny Mac at Wimbledon on the practice courts and I was surprised at how seriously he was taking it ( I mentioned this in one of my reports).

He looked very able especially his serving. He was giving it everything. At the time I thought he might be practicing for the seniors or something like that. A few days later I asked him about that session and he explained that he was helping Andy Roddick prepare for his next opponent who was a left hander (it must have been Greg Rusedski).

Trust me, if the Mac puts his mind to it, he can still produce the old magic.

ys
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:02 PM
And to put simply, it is a man of 43. 43 is not 53. 43 is an age when men are still going very strong.. But what's a point.. Watch for another idiot in one year time to predict that Williamses would beat Becker. Then in a couple of years - Sampras or Agassi. And another brainless bunch to applaud that idiot here each time..

joneg2
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by disposablehero
This is not a guy who won 3 Slams and retired more than 20 years ago, like a Riggs. This is an all-time great from the strongest era of the men's game who was still beating guys like Becker, Ivanisevic, and Krajicek in tour events just 10 years ago.

Forget 10 years ago! Johhny mac just spanked Boris Becker in straight sets only a couple of months ago here on Longboat Key.
BTW, Mac is 9 years older than Boris.

achamber
Jul 12th, 2002, 09:57 PM
This is the funniest thing I have ever heard!!!!!!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

You guys actually think they could!!! Lets come back to reality, they would get spanked, no question about it!!

selesrules
Jul 12th, 2002, 10:24 PM
Serena can definitely beat McEnroe. She has become into an incredible player.

But Venus beating McEnroe? LOL! She would probably lose 6-2, 6-1.

xan
Jul 13th, 2002, 12:39 AM
Eggy...thanks for bringing this thread back to reality. I couldn't believe what I was reading. Once and for all... women cannot beat male college players! Sorry. I'd need more proof of that than a few people's say-so.

The fact that men "put more spin on the ball" doesn't make them invincible. Nor do I see the link between being male and being able to hit a tennis ball with spin!

I don't see men hitting women off the court in Mixed Doubles, or playing with such skill that they are in a different class to top women. So until some of these mythical college players come out and actually beat a few top WTA players ON COURT rather than just with their mouths, I will believe the contrary.

I think Serena would have a good chance against John boy.

Jay
Jul 13th, 2002, 12:48 AM
hmm you don't see much do you.

well I did see Serena being hit off the court at Wimbledon by one of the 'hired' male hitting partners.

hantuchova_rulez
Jul 13th, 2002, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Jay
I saw Johnny Mac at Wimbledon on the practice courts and I was surprised at how seriously he was taking it ( I mentioned this in one of my reports).

He looked very able especially his serving. He was giving it everything. At the time I thought he might be practicing for the seniors or something like that. A few days later I asked him about that session and he explained that he was helping Andy Roddick prepare for his next opponent who was a left hander (it must have been Greg Rusedski).

Trust me, if the Mac puts his mind to it, he can still produce the old magic.

In a UK interview, during the commentating I'm quite sure it was mentioned that he actually beat Roddick!

Now, like it was said they are two completely different sports and shouldn't be compared, but just for the sake of argument,

There's not a chance the Williams would win! That Writer's article is funny, but he doesn't seem to be an expert though.

And one other thing, if anyone has read McEnroe's bio he seems quite arrogant to me, and you don't go making these comments in the first place!