PDA

View Full Version : Skimpy clothing

Raj
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:03 PM
While watching WIMBLEDON this year, the womens attire really stuck out to me.
I have a question i hope you all can help me with.
I mean this with no perverseness whatsover.

I was watching wimbledon and could not help but notice how skimpy the womens top were, after 5 mins of playing the tops clung to them and were like a second layer of skin.

Cant they wear a thicker top which keeps them covered well, or even a bra for that matter?

irma
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:09 PM
well I think some players could use a good bra indeed, I am not interested in nipples when I watch tennis :rolleyes:

Raj
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Thanks Irma, i agree!
I thought it might have something to do with movement/flexible or something, i dunno?

MaSha FaN
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:20 PM
Many tennis tops have built-in-bras.

Fortis
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:22 PM
I think Serena , Capriati , Kournikova and Hantuchova were some of the main offenders.
Kim Clijsters should also wear looser clothing. Justine's skirts were also too tight.

Can't the women's game be marketed without this. Young kids are supposedly watching are they to be included in the market that the WTA is apprently targetting. Sense and Sensibilities...

Raj
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Actually i saw ANNA play doubles live first round, what she was wearing was perfectly respectable.

Its the tops that that are too revealing me.

saki
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Whatever the players feel comfortable in is fine with me.

Sometimes, I do wonder whether some players wouldn't be better off wearing a decent sports bra (e.g. Venus in her strappy top) but presumably they're getting the support they need. I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing some of the outfits that we see players in, but they're choosing to wear them & I don't see any reason for me to judge them.

Ultimately, it's just prudishness that leads to this kind of criticism.

Fortis
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:30 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

saki
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Fortis
WHat Anna was wearing was not "respectable" for a tennis match on center court at Wimbledon, IMHO. She gets away with a lot of things because the media have progammed people's mind into thinking that she is special. That little number she was wearing belongs at a night club. And she sjould be more careful too because she was a protuding stomach. MEOWWWWWWW.

Sounds like you're a bit jealous of Anna's looks...

What gives you the right to decide what's appropriate for someone else to wear? What would you think if someone told you that your clothes were too sexy or more likely too frumpy?

Luna_Angel_84
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Jen doesn't wear skimpy clothes, it's just her headlights are always on!

super_hingis
well i for one beign a male think its great what they wear i love watching tennis but i also love watching georgeous ladies run around in skimpy clothes.Sorry!!

Raj
LOL Fortis, you are too funny!

saki: Do you think it makes me a prude if i think that the women should cover up a bit more?

saki
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Yes, I do think it makes you a prude. Why do you think you have the right to tell women what they should or shouldn't wear? And what justification do you have for thinking that women "should cover up"?

Raj
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:39 PM
oh LUNA ANGEL 84, that was funny!

By the way by skimy clothing i meant " a top where as Luna Angel puts it the headlights are always on".
I don't think its a big deal if what they are wearing is sexy like super_hingis puts it. But the main bits should be covered!

Fortis
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:41 PM
What looks. Sorry guys, but Anna looks like a child who wants to be an adult female. I am just not impressed. As the doubles match with the Williams wore on I kept thinking what is the hype about. Put her in normal tennis clothes and and she would just look ordinary. I was more impressed with Venus and Serena and Chanda Rubin certainly impressed without wearing a skimpy top.

The women really should have a proper dress code. Protuding "whatevers" on television just does not look good. People with small children watch tennis too and prudish or not why should a child or anyone for that matter be constantly exposed to such "sights."

Bring on a proper dress code for women players. Clingy tops belong in nightclubs and the boudoirs not on a tennis court.
Further, clingy clothing hampers mobility.

Why should be constantly seeing these women's underwear??

saki
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Welcome to the 19th century!

Raj
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:44 PM
SAKI: feminist in the house! Sorry for being a prude, i just felt a bit embarrassed at times watching and didn't know where to look at times!

Raj
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:46 PM
THANKS FORTIS, YOU SAID WHAT I WAS TOO EMBARRASSED TO SAY.
The women really should have a proper dress code. Protuding "whatevers" on television just does not look good. People with small children watch tennis too and prudish or not why should a child or anyone for that matter be constantly exposed to such "sights."

irma
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:46 PM
yeah bring the clothes from the 19th century back :p

-Sonic-
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:52 PM
I like the clothes they're wearing now, but I get the feeling that the players must really really love their nipples. They want them on show more than anything.

Fortis
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:53 PM
If a fan's viewing is being compromised by what is being worn by the players, I think, that means that what is being worn is perhaps inappropriate for the "occassion" re: tennis match at a grand slam.

This "discomfort" level could easily be addressed by a dress code.

What is ridiculous is that most of the players think that wearing these type of clothing makes them look "sexy" and will make them perhaps more popular.

I don't think Raj is the only one "complaining , " either.

Callie
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:55 PM
I'm sorry, but I don't have a problem with what people choose to wear on the tennis courts. Some people are just always looking at the small things. I'm for the Freedom of choice, and they have the freedom to wear what ever they wish to wear.

saki
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Tennis players are self-employed. They play when they want, wearing what they want. They're under no obligation to wear revealing clothes for the crowd, nor are they under any obligation to wear clothes that cover them more. They can wear what they want, and if you don't want to watch it you don't have to. That's the way it works.

Frankly, I think your concern with their "whatevers hanging out" betrays repression and fear.

Fortis
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:00 PM
I guess we are all free to our opinions. I say if the women have to wear skimpy clothing then don't show tennis matches for a general viewership. Show it for an audience with a PG-13 rating.

Who wants to see the "whatevers" of excited women??
This not about repression and fear. It is about something called common decency. Something which the WTA, et. al seems to have forgotten.

Is this the only way that "women" can be marketed. Is it because the "talent" level in the WTA is so miniscule that they have to resort to "other" things.
I digress but I heard one announcer who once called the Williams sisters an ugly name now claiming that one does not have to have talent to succeed in tennis. Welcome to the new-age tennis where skimpy clothing are more of an asset than a well-executed backhand.

Luna_Angel_84
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:04 PM
So what exactly are you suggesting women wear then?

Gallofa
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:06 PM
Fortis, I think you are struggling for the word here. It's called a nipple.

I don't see how a covered nipple or breast can be in anyway deserving of PG-13 rating? :D Really. Just because you think PG-13 thoughts when you see nipples through clothing on tv (and you must be looking very closely), do not assume that any of us share those thoughts. Much less children, to them a covered nipple is just that, a covered nipple.

saki
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:06 PM
Oh, come on Fortis! Players don't win matches from "skimpy clothing" they win from having a great game. Some players like to dress revealingly on court, some don't. It doesn't affect how they do, doesn't make them better or worse sportswomen.

It's not about the WTA "resorting to" a sexy image. It's individual players who decide what kind of image they want to portray.

Justine Henin, for example, doesn't have a big clothing sponsor or wear strappy tops/dresses. Her decision. Venus Williams does like to wear sexy clothes on court. Her decision.

What's your problem with that? These are individual women making decisions on what they wear to work. That's it.

Linnie
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:12 PM
I just read that Nike is coming out with a "Maud Watson" line, complete with matching corset :p

I have a solution for those that don't want to see any "naughty bits".....DON'T WATCH!

Fortis
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:15 PM
My dress code for the WTA.

1. No backless tops.

2. No tops with spaghetti straps (there is the danger of one of those "whatevers" going awry (remembering AO 2001 and Venus)

3. No tops that reveal one's midriff.
4. No plunging necklines (that's reserved for off the court activities such as nightclubs, movies, parties, etc.)
5. No see-through material clingy material ( the nike top worn by Mauresmo, Hantuchova, etc appears to be a "je ne said quoi" fashion statement)
6. All "ladies" must wear a sports bra.

P.S. if the men in basketball can be modest, why can't the women on a tennis court be. What a shame.

Fortis
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:19 PM
Saki: the announcer was referring to Anna K and her ilk when he said that one doesn't need talent to succeed in tennis these days.

Luna_Angel_84
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:20 PM
Holy fuck, I wanna see as much of Jen as possible!

saki
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Unfortunately, Fortis forgot three points so I have to add them:

7. All "ladies" must do what Fortis tells them to, because he knows best.

8. All "ladies" must make sure that they do not allow themselves to express themselves through their dress sense.

9. All "ladies" must make sure that they do not exhibit their bodies. Their "whatevers" are shameful and must not ever be seen in public.

10. All "ladies" failing to conform to Fortis' notions of correct conduct should be stoned in the market place.

Luna_Angel_84
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:24 PM
LMFAO! :D Anyway, I don't see why women shouldn't be allowed to show themselves off if they're beautiful. It's their choice!

Fortis
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:27 PM
Saki: you are missing my point. Deliberately???

Why do the women's have to constantly expose themselves, when the men are being modest.

The men in basketball wear those shorts and beneath that there is another tighter fitting shorts to prevent them for being "embarrassed" when they fall. If the men are willing to show such modesty why shouldn't the women. In some cases what the women are wearing is actually tasteless.

angele87
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:30 PM
I would have to agree that the outfits some women wear now are too revealing to tennis... it's true that it's thier choice of what to wear but there has to be a limit somewhere... would they allow a woman to play in underwear and a bra if she wanted to? Would they let men play topless? Somehow I doubt it.

Just because you think PG-13 thoughts when you see nipples through clothing on tv (and you must be looking very closely), do not assume that any of us share those thoughts. Much less children, to them a covered nipple is just that, a covered nipple.

I wouldn't say that too fast :( On two occasions it happened to me that I was baby sitting younger boys that wanted to watch tennis... one match was Anna and the other was Serena. I was a bit puzzled that boys aged 7 & 9 and 7 & 10 would want to watch tennis but since I like tennis I figured what the hell... I quickly figured out, however, their motive for watching these matches when their conversations turned to Serena's breasts and Anna's butt :eek: :o

saki
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:31 PM
Fortis - are you missing my point deliberatly?

These women are individuals, choosing their own clothes. No-one has any right to tell them what they should or shouldn't wear. Some women are "modest" some are flamboyant. You may like it or dislike it, but you've no right to tell them that they can't wear whatever they want to.

I really can't be bothered to argue with you anymore. I'll leave you with your prejudices. At least there are enough of them to ensure that you won't lack company.

selesfan
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:32 PM
Why is Serena an offender? Her headlights are never on, looks like she wears an appropriate bra. And how can you say Anna's outfit was respectable? That skirt looked like it was going to fall off any second and that top looked like a table cloh on the ends.

Fortis
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:33 PM
I remember a poor announcer being embarrassed when watching Serena Williams play as her underwear was being constantly exposed. All he could say to the announcer sitting beside him was "whaaaa."

Have we forgotten about decorum??

The women should be free to wear whatever they want so long as it makes they look beautiful.

That's right but when the media and agents package nearly under-age youngsters like Daniella H and and tell the public that they look so sexy in their sexy clothing..That's bordering on pedophalia and that's a crime. That's an unfortunate outgrowth of this type of marketing.

Julie
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:37 PM
I cant believe some people would get embarrassed about nipples, youll have us all wrapped up next so as not to show we have breasts at all. Exactly what century are we living in - can someone remind me???

This isnt about what players wear - this is more about certain peoples issues with the female form. My advice to those people is deal with it cos its not going to change.

Tammy
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:40 PM
erm .. do i sense some closet lesbians in denial in here ? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

angele87
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Perhaps they should all play naked then :rolleyes:

Fortis
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:44 PM
Julie: I have no issues with the female form.

What the WTA and the agents surrounding these young tennis players have forgotten is that a woman does not have to expose herself to be sexy.

I feel that tennis deserves more than this. I cringe everytime I see Daniella H. She looks like a very young child with excessively long legs but she is being exploited by the media and the agents.
She is not particularly beautiful but her agents want the media and the public to think that, why? Ah, the financial possibilities.
They do not have the welfare of these youngsters in mind at all, IMHO.

Ryan
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:47 PM
Who wants to see the "whatevers" of excited women??

Lmao, you must be a prude, gay, or a woman. I personally see nothing wrong with anything the players are wearing. Mauresmo's top was see through on the sides, and last time I checked her "whatevers" weren't on the side of her ribs.:rolleyes: Half the tops the players are weaing only get "clingy" because of SWEAT!

The women should be free to wear whatever they want so long as it makes they look beautiful.

That's really sexist. I'm a guy, and even I'M offended by that. How would you tell Maureen Drake, or Amy Frazier to dress? Not everyone will be beautiful, no matter what they wear, does that mean they shouldn't play tennis? I bet Hingis' one armed tops are also offensive to you, "oh no, her entire arms aren't covered*gasp* and her skirt is above her knees, and it's not even pleated!*swoon*"

Welcome to the 21st Century granny!:wavey:

Fortis
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Decorum has nothing to with the 21st century as angela said maybe they should play naked. I guess no one would have anything to say afterall its the 21st century and it's there bodies.

Yes, but tennis is a a sport and a sport should have rules. It's the only sport where people have to see the "whatevers" of these women if they want to watch a match. They have no choice.
Where's the decorum.

Trying going to work dressed like some of these women.

Raj
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:54 PM
OKAY i will tell you guys why i started this message?
I was watching one of the HANTUCHOVA matches and my sister walked in, it was so embarrassing I had to change the channel.
I could not watch it with my sister there.
Does that make me prude? am i living in the stone age?
If I am completely honest, the only thing that really got me was the fact that the players nipples are always sticking out, thats it!
My question was, can this be prevented by wearing a good bra? or due to sweat it is not preventabe?
or would it just be too uncomfortable to have too much support?

angele87
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Well Rag I'd say it all depends on the woman... I know personally I'm more comfortable wearing a sports bra when playing sports, even if my top has a built in bra however some of the um, *cough* smaller *cough* woman may find it more comfortable to just not wear a bra :confused: although sports bras tend to be comfortable!

Raj
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:00 PM
sorry to ask....... angele 87 but if a woman sweats a high amount in a sports bra will her nipples stick out?

-Sonic-
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:02 PM
Anna K once said a few years ago that in 10 years time Womens tennis will be played naked... dunno if she was putting herself forward as a pioneer or what, but I dunno what Wimbledon's view would be :)

And just in case anyone was replying to my earlier comment, i do not dislike nipples, am not embarassed by them and have no problem with the female form :p i would just be of the opinion that if u asked someone "would you like ur ideal outfit to make people look at ur nipples before anything else?", i'm guessing 9 times out of ten they would say no.

angele87
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:05 PM
Raj, I guess it all depends... I don't really wear tight tops when I play sports cuz I find them uncomfortable so for me, the answer would be no but I guess in skin tight tops like the women wear these days, they might stick out anyway although I'm sure not as much as if they were braless!

-Sonic-
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:07 PM
don't u have problems later in life if u don't have good support?

and by problems, i mean charlie dimmock "on the floor" problems.

Raj
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:10 PM
I think it must be a comfort factor than, because there are just too many women that have "their headlights on".
I think that is the reasonable conclusion instead of saying they want to look sexy!
I suppose i'll just have to deal with it, even if i do find it uncomfortable.

final thought, why must some people make every thread into a huge argumentative debate, which is not necessary.

Julie
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:10 PM
Okay and i will tell oyu why im closing this thread.

If people are uncomfortable at the site of nipples protruding through clothes - it is neither the player in questions problem nor fault. For crying out loud its a natural phenomenon and no amount of support if the clothing is sufficiently tight and aerodynamic is going to change it.

For those who really have a problem seeing midriffs, nipples and god forbid knickers then it really is your problem. No one elses!