PDA

View Full Version : Venus vs Hingis US Open 2000 Highlights

Nicolás89
Aug 18th, 2007, 08:03 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/hingis+venus/video/x2qaxv_highlightes-venus-vs-hingis-usopen_sport

poor quality (the video) but good enough to appreciate how play two great players at their very peaks ;)

Viktymise
Aug 18th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Some of the rallies in this match were outrageously good :drool: Venus was such a champion in the last few games :worship: Superb from the 2 of em.

I miss this kind of tennis, it was so exciting back then so frequently, and the rivalries were great too.

tennisboi
Aug 18th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Some of the rallies in this match were outrageously good :drool: Venus was such a champion in the last few games :worship: Superb from the 2 of em.

I miss this kind of tennis, it was so exciting back then so frequently, and the rivalries were great too.

I miss the tennis from the early 00's it was great back then...it's so crap these days:sad:

CanIGetAWhat
Aug 18th, 2007, 08:17 PM
This is my No. 1 favorite match. :worship: Along with the '99 USO Hingis/V. Williams and '03 Henin/Capriati semifinals, these are the best three USO matches of the past 10 years. :worship:

Nicolás89
Aug 18th, 2007, 08:18 PM
i think the game of the top players is the same than back then a peak vanus of that year can be a henin of todays and so on, non top players raised the overall bar though
girls from todays top 100 can beat any top 30-100 player of that year :shrug:
injuries are the main problem these days

tennisboi
Aug 18th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Venus should not have crossed to Hingis' side to celebrate that was just down right wrong

CJ07
Aug 18th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Honestly, Hingis of '00 would beat most players today. She just kept trying to tweek too many things in her game. Anyone who says she can't handle power should watch her '01 OZ match against Serena, and for most recently her '06 match against Sharapova in Tokyo. She just questions herself too much.

And I agree, if anything play is worse at the top of the game. Its just all the other players got much better.
But I promise you Steffi Graf, Monica Seles (or even Navratilova for that matter) of early '90s would beat the Kuznetsova's of today with ease :shrug:

Venus+Serena#1fan
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:35 PM
if anything play is worse at the top of the game. Its just all the other players got much better.
But I promise you Steffi Graf, Monica Seles (or even Navratilova for that matter) of early '90s would beat the Kuznetsova's of today with ease

One can't make any such "promises" or guarantees because there is no way to know or prove it at all. The game has changed a bit, everyone moves better and is more powerful.
That is not to say that matches like this one and early 90's matches shouldn't be appreciated, the level is fantastic.

DA FOREHAND
Aug 18th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Venus should not have crossed to Hingis' side to celebrate that was just down right wrong

LOL, after you lose you don't have a side! Winner takes all baby!:wavey:

Volcana
Aug 18th, 2007, 10:54 PM
What's striking to me about that match is how far Hingis was playing inside the baseline. Compared to the post-2000 tactic virtually everyone used of keeping Hingis pinned behind the baseline, and running her from side to side. I think she's every bit as good a tennis player today, but people know how to play her now. And of course, there are even more power players than there were in 2000.

volta
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:54 PM
this is like my all time fav match :hearts: :hearts:
and this is why i love the USO soooo much i mean look at the excitment of the crowd :worship:

venus_rulez
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Absolutely fantastic match. I love at the end when she keeps saying, "Unbelievable. I know I know.' I love her so much.

Hingie
Aug 19th, 2007, 12:08 AM
What's striking to me about that match is how far Hingis was playing inside the baseline. Compared to the post-2000 tactic virtually everyone used of keeping Hingis pinned behind the baseline, and running her from side to side. I think she's every bit as good a tennis player today, but people know how to play her now. And of course, there are even more power players than there were in 2000.

:sad: I really miss this type of tennis.

And you're crazy if you think she's 'every bit as good a tennis player today'!

She hasn't even been playing at 60% of her capacity!

faboozadoo15
Aug 19th, 2007, 12:09 AM
This is in my top 5 most memorable matches I've ever seen. The quality was amazing too. Hingis really gave that match her all up until 3-5 15-30 :tape:
The most regarettable overhead of her career.

matthieu_tennis
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:02 AM
such a great quality match :):)

RJWCapriati
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:05 AM

hingisGOAT
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:17 AM
a gruesome tank from hingis :tape: i much prefer their 1999 match :hearts:

faboozadoo15
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:20 AM
a gruesome tank from hingis :tape: i much prefer their 1999 match :hearts:

You can think all you want that Hingis should have won, but she surely didn't tank.
Their USO semi's were some of the hardest fought matches I've seen either of them (Hingis or Venus) play ever.

BrandClay
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Great Match...I think Venus is a much better player all-around now. I can't wait to see her at the US OPEN.

hingisGOAT
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:26 AM
You can think all you want that Hingis should have won, but she surely didn't tank.
Their USO semi's were some of the hardest fought matches I've seen either of them (Hingis or Venus) play ever.

well... from that miffed overhead through the next four games, she barely hit a ball in the court. i guess that's not tanking?

Steffica Greles
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Honestly, Hingis of '00 would beat most players today. She just kept trying to tweek too many things in her game. Anyone who says she can't handle power should watch her '01 OZ match against Serena, and for most recently her '06 match against Sharapova in Tokyo.

I actually agree with the essence of your statement. But, like most posters on this board, you're missing one crucial thing.

Hingis can handle pace if she bulks up, psyches up and digs her heels in, but for no more than one round, or two at the most. Even in Australia 2001, at the height of her fitness, she had nothing left for the final -- and that was after Venus had practically handed the semi-final to her on a plate, in less than an hour. So in other words, the Serena quarter was still affecting her.

So Hingis, at the height of her fitness, can indeed withstand pace, but it's the constant, unremitting barage through an entire draw that has led to her injuries, demotivation and ultimately, her destruction in every single grandslam she's entered since Australia 1999 (nearly a decade ago).

It's little wonder that she's not too inspired to reach full fitness again: what good did it do for her before?

And in reference to this match, it's one example of how Hingis may be able to 'handle' pace, but when required to generate her own velocity, to put the final nail in the coffin, or even to just throw caution to the wind, never mind power, and to aim close to the lines, Hingis does not have that capacity. Her cards are all down on the table.

Hingie
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:44 AM
I actually agree with the essence of your statement. But, like most posters on this board, you're missing one crucial thing.

Hingis can handle pace if she bulks up, psyches up and digs her heels in, but for no more than one round, or two at the most. Even in Australia 2001, at the height of her fitness, she had nothing left for the final -- and that was after Venus had practically handed the semi-final to her on a plate, in less than an hour. So in other words, the Serena quarter was still affecting her.

So Hingis, at the height of her fitness, can indeed withstand pace, but it's the constant, unremitting barage through an entire draw that has led to her injuries, demotivation and ultimately, her destruction in every single grandslam she's entered since Australia 1999 (nearly a decade ago).

It's little wonder that she's not too inspired to reach full fitness again: what good did it do for her before?

And in reference to this match, it's one example of how Hingis may be able to 'handle' pace, but when required to generate her own velocity, to put the final nail in the coffin, or even to just throw caution to the wind, never mind power, and to aim close to the lines, Hingis does not have that capacity. Her cards are all down on the table.

What a surprise - Steffica Greles in ANOTHER Hingis thread.

Yes Hingis' retrieving game is an important component but she'll never be a Venus or Mauresmo in terms of fitness and physique... and she hasn't needed it. It's her talent that's enabled her to accomplish more than most tennis players. Her main problem at the moment is confidence. She's not going for precision, therefore her opponents are in better positions to push her around and that's always been a toxic mix for her.

I continue to be amazed by how many times you manage to belittle Hingis in a post... you claim you 'respect' her etc etc but your subtle attempts at putting her down, unfortunately are not subtle at all (even if you do try and use colourful language) and you know what, everyone on this board has heard it before. :yawn:

matthieu_tennis
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:17 PM
the big difference is the forehand of hingis, in that match, her forehand was very deep and very accurate. Now, It is a simple ball in the court

Kworb
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Hmm Hingis used to be so good. :(

Steffica Greles
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:40 PM
What a surprise - Steffica Greles in ANOTHER Hingis thread.

Yes Hingis' retrieving game is an important component but she'll never be a Venus or Mauresmo in terms of fitness and physique... and she hasn't needed it.

It's not Hingis I have anything against. It's the stupid, intellectually deficient followers of hers - like yourself.

But anyway, so according to your good self, Hingis hasn't been lacking anything since the time when everybody was listening to the Spice Girls and centre partings were all the rage?

By the way, that was when Hingis finished her run of grandslam wins.

darice
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:06 AM
this is one my fav matches of all time. their semi in '99 is another. to me venus v. marti and rena v. marti (and rena v. cappy) were some of the best rivalries. :)

Geisha
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:04 PM
I miss the tennis from the early 00's it was great back then...it's so crap these days:sad:

Venus, Hingis, Seles, Davenport, Serena, Anna...Not to mention Capriati in the near future. Aaah, the good days.

markhingis
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Can someone upload the match into rapidshare or megaupload or any other server?? cause I hardly see the ball in youtube :(

lecciones
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:36 PM

I agree. Tennis then was so different, for me at least. I was more excited then, it was less about just raw power.

lecciones
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:38 PM
It's not Hingis I have anything against. It's the stupid, intellectually deficient followers of hers - like yourself.

But anyway, so according to your good self, Hingis hasn't been lacking anything since the time when everybody was listening to the Spice Girls and centre partings were all the rage?

By the way, that was when Hingis finished her run of grandslam wins.

You have a very terrible problem regarding Hingis and her fans. I hope you find it in yourself to resolve that.

And i just have to add that sometimes I agree with your statements but not how you wish to present them. Hingis indeed lacks fitness that we are used to seeing nowadays, we don't need to argue with that - but Hingis is known for her craftiness in shot selection and intuition in handling a ball in winning matches - and that what makes her difference from the rest.

Of course she can be overpowered, anybody can. Hingis has a hard time with this, everybody does.

CJ07
Aug 20th, 2007, 01:48 PM

I agree that is a problem that Hingis had. However, my thing is that she hasn't been playing her game, but trying to play a poor attempt of a power game, and not using her talent appropriately. But you do make a good point. She killed Sharapova, but then had nothing against Dementieva.