PDA

View Full Version : Ann Worchester Comments On Serena's Withdrawal

Marcell
Aug 18th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Thumb Presses Exit Button
Pilot Pen Loses Serena
By TOMMY HINE | Courant Staff Writer

NEW HAVEN - Anne Worcester knew she was in trouble when she answered her phone.

Two days before the Pilot Pen, the last person she wanted to hear from was Serena Williams or her agent, Jill Smoller.

"I hope you're calling to tell me Serena's going to be at the kids clinic on Monday, but I don't think you are," Worcester, the tournament director, said to Smoller.

Her premonition couldn't have been more accurate.

Nine days after accepting a wild card entry, Williams withdrew Friday from the Pilot Pen because of a left thumb injury.

"Today I tried to have full practice, hoping that my thumb would feel better, but unfortunately it is still not 100 percent and I am not able to play at the level that I hoped," Williams said in a statement.

"I am frustrated and extremely disappointed that I won't be able to play at the Pilot Pen. I've heard only wonderful things about the event and its organizers and was looking forward to playing there."

Williams still plans to play in the U.S. Open, Smoller told The Associated Press.

The eighth-ranked Williams, winner of eight Grand Slam singles titles, was the highest-profile women's player to enter this year's tournament, and her acceptance of a wild card spiked advance ticket sales. Her sister, Venus, is a four-time Pilot Pen champion, but this would have been Serena's first appearance. She hasn't played competitively since injuring the thumb at Wimbledon nearly two months ago.

"There's no positive spin on her withdrawal," Worcester said. "She had every intention of being here. She could have waited until 4 p.m. Thursday to accept the wild card, but she committed a week ago."

Worcester said Williams had already booked her New Haven hotel.

"She had a car service," Worcester said. "We were going to helicopter her to Tweed [Airport]. We even had a bike for [her father] Richard. All the plans were in place."

There will be no refunds, despite the high-profile withdrawal.

"I don't think anyone can argue that there's not a world-class field of both women's and men's players here," Worcester said. "If I didn't have any other entertainment, I'd give them their money back, but we've got plenty of entertainment on both the men's and the women's side."

Williams' withdrawal leaves the women's field with No.5 Svetlana Kuznetsova, No.10 Daniela Hantuchova, No.11 Marion Bartoli and No.17 Elena Dementieva. In addition, Lindsay Davenport will play doubles, her first competitive tennis since the birth of her son, Jagger, on June 10.

But the tournament now has lost Williams and Amelie Mauresmo (recovering from an appendectomy), and Andy Murray withdrew a wild card request because of a sore wrist.

Worcester said there are always two variables that she can't control: the weather and injuries.

"You always have a concern that a player coming back from injury may not know about the timing," Worcester said. "It was so heartening that [Williams] committed to the Pilot Pen last week. She could have waited until Thursday at 3:59 and asked for a wild card.

"But the confidence with which she requested the wild card so early made me feel she was sure she was going to be 100 percent. They had every intention to come here. As of [Thursday], we were talking about bicycles for Richard Williams."

frenchie
Aug 18th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Anne Worcester is a good actress!

she should get a drama oscar:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

*JR*
Aug 18th, 2007, 01:55 PM
She's the one who got the WTA to make the board stop posting Eggy's entry lists last year. :mad:

thrust
Aug 18th, 2007, 02:02 PM
frenchie- For once, I agree with you, but try being nicer to Justine-lol!!

serenaforever
Aug 18th, 2007, 02:33 PM
she sounds like a little kid who didnt get what she wanted for Christmas

vejh
Aug 18th, 2007, 02:57 PM
She is right though, right? I would be disappointed, and understandably so.

Petersmiler
Aug 18th, 2007, 03:18 PM
What's she complaining at? It said there was a spike in sales during the time Serena was entered, isn't that what she wanted?

vejh
Aug 18th, 2007, 03:28 PM
^True, but now she can't deliver, and it makes the tourny look bad. it may even make it harder to sell the next time around. She's disappointed, and that's quite understandable. I know some fans are as disappointed, maybe more so.

thetennisutopian
Aug 18th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Yeah Serena was by far the biggest name the tourney had. With no Serena there's no big star for the tournament's sales to fall back on. They sold many tickets off of Serena's name alone... shame. I knew that would happen though. The players really should get punished for doing things like that.

saki
Aug 18th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Yeah Serena was by far the biggest name the tourney had. With no Serena there's no big star for the tournament's sales to fall back on. They sold many tickets off of Serena's name alone... shame. I knew that would happen though. The players really should get punished for doing things like that.

Erm, there is Lindsay's comeback. It may be doubles not singles but Lindsay is a HUGE name and crowd favourite at the Pilot Pen.

Petersmiler
Aug 18th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Erm, there is Lindsay's comeback. It may be doubles not singles but Lindsay is a HUGE name and crowd favourite at the Pilot Pen.

Not to mention James Blake.

Forehand_Volley
Aug 18th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Thumb Presses Exit Button
Pilot Pen Loses Serena
By TOMMY HINE | Courant Staff Writer

"She had a car service," Worcester said. "We were going to helicopter her to Tweed [Airport]. We even had a bike for [her father] Richard. All the plans were in place."

There will be no refunds, despite the high-profile withdrawal.

"I don't think anyone can argue that there's not a world-class field of both women's and men's players here," Worcester said. "If I didn't have any other entertainment, I'd give them their money back, but we've got plenty of entertainment on both the men's and the women's side."

Worcester said there are always two variables that she can't control: the weather and injuries.

"You always have a concern that a player coming back from injury may not know about the timing," Worcester said. "It was so heartening that [Williams] committed to the Pilot Pen last week. She could have waited until Thursday at 3:59 and asked for a wild card.

"But the confidence with which she requested the wild card so early made me feel she was sure she was going to be 100 percent. They had every intention to come here. As of [Thursday], we were talking about bicycles for Richard Williams."
There are two basic components to liars that don't lie well. First, explaining details that wouldn't ordinarily be discussed otherwise known as overcompensating. Secondly, repeating similar details in an attempt to make their lie more believable.

The Ann Worcester's of tennis are the reason why tennis' popularity has taken a hit in the United States. Her attempts at limiting fans access to tournament entry lists while manipulating fans expectations by using bait and switch tactics leaves a sour taste in the mouths of fans. These tactics attack the very credibility of the heart of the sport.

She promised ticket holders one thing, couldn't deliver, then refuses to give refunds. With business tactics like that, its no wonder she has such a poor reputation among fans of the sport. Stopping short of calling it fraud, people should reconsider ever attending any tournament that she directs.

mckyle.
Aug 19th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Ann was the one who bitched when TheBoiledEgg posted a huge withdrawal before anyone else knew about it :lol:

hingis-seles
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Ann was the one who bitched when TheBoiledEgg posted a huge withdrawal before anyone else knew about it :lol:

Didn't that happen before you joined this board?

Stamp Paid
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:36 AM
Didn't that happen before you joined this board?:o

Derek.
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:38 AM

:tape:

Per-fection
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:45 AM

Of course not. :tape: I have been here under several user names. :wavey: I am just using a different computer so the Admins/Mods can't track my IP address. :hearts: I also got a new internet provider so it's impossible for them to know my former user names.

Love,
Perfection. :wavey:

mckyle.
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:13 AM
Roshane :lol:

mckyle.
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:14 AM

I have to join the second I come on this board? I'm not the only one who has read the board before joining.

drake3781
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:29 AM
There are two basic components to liars that don't lie well. First, explaining details that wouldn't ordinarily be discussed otherwise known as overcompensating. Secondly, repeating similar details in an attempt to make their lie more believable.

The Ann Worcester's of tennis are the reason why tennis' popularity has taken a hit in the United States. Her attempts at limiting fans access to tournament entry lists while manipulating fans expectations by using bait and switch tactics leaves a sour taste in the mouths of fans. These tactics attack the very credibility of the heart of the sport.

She promised ticket holders one thing, couldn't deliver, then refuses to give refunds. With business tactics like that, its no wonder she has such a poor reputation among fans of the sport. Stopping short of calling it fraud, people should reconsider ever attending any tournament that she directs.

Well said.

Do I also remember her name mentioned in the policy discussion/statement that we are not allowed to post entry lists here?

Of course not. :tape: I have been here under several user names. :wavey: I am just using a different computer so the Admins/Mods can't track my IP address. :hearts: I also got a new internet provider so it's impossible for them to know my former user names.

Love,
Perfection. :wavey:

Quick, badrep me before you are banned again. :tape: