PDA

View Full Version : BOMBSHELL: Font de Mora is suing Groenefeld for US$1-million!!!

spiceboy
Aug 18th, 2007, 10:44 AM
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/sports/story.html?id=0700a9ff-58fc-4fa0-9706-726fab145f71

Canadian in middle of coach's bitter feud

'She Didn't Pay Money'; Shaughnessy's Manager Suing Her Long-Time Partner

Michael Traikos, National Post

Published: Friday, August 17, 2007
TORONTO - Meghann Shaughnessy does not play doubles with long-time partner Anna-Lena Groenefeld anymore.

The reason is because Shaughnessy's coach and manager, Rafael Font de Mora, is suing the 22-year-old Groenefeld for US$1-million.

Font de Mora, who admits to being a "demanding and strict" coach, said he severed ties with his former pupil because she did not live up to the rigid standards of a professional tennis player. He is trying to recover lost earnings from their three-year contract.

"I want to get out what I put into my players, so I demand the same effort," said Font de Mora, who coached and managed Groenefeld from March, 2003 until April, 2006.

"She breached so many things of the contract. She didn't pay money."

Caught in the middle of what has become a bitter public and legal feud is Shaughnessy, who was once romantically involved with Font de Mora, her on-again, off-again coach since she was 14.

The American player, who was defeated 6-3, 6-2 in a third-round match to Svetlana Kuznetsova at the Rogers Cup yesterday, declined to be interviewed.

"They don't play doubles, because it makes it very uncomfortable," said Font de Mora, "but they're still friends. Meghann is very neutral. She's supportive of Anna-Lena as a friend and she's supportive of me as a coach."

In the three years that Font de Mora coached Groenefeld, the German climbed from 444th in the world rankings to a career-high 14th. But he suddenly walked away from his student after she lost an opening round match to 96th-ranked Aravano Rezai at the 2006 U.S. Open.

Groenefeld is now coached by Dirk Dier.

In a lawsuit filed in April, Font de Mora cited Groenefeld's increasing weight gain and refusal to practise as reasons for breaking the coaching and managerial contract.

"She had to adhere to a standard of performance, a standard of training and a standard of diet," Font de Mora said.

"She absolutely let herself go and sabotaged her marketability and her performance on the court. You work for years and invest all this money into developing contracts and developing endorsements and then she just gets around the wrong people and does the wrong things and her performance affects everything."

Since the acrimonious split, Groenefeld has failed to advance past the first round in 16 of the last 21 tournaments. She has reportedly blamed Font de Mora for her struggles, claiming that the Spaniard is coaching her opponents on how to defeat her.

"Someone is coming up to me and telling me, 'Yeah, he gave them all the tactics how she had to play me today,' " Groenefeld told
********************. "When you know that, it's always in your head and you just can't throw it away."

Font de Mora said allegations that he interfered with Groenefeld's matches are unfounded.

ChampLindsay
Aug 18th, 2007, 10:46 AM
he's just an idiot :weirdo: :fiery:

Farina Elia Fan
Aug 18th, 2007, 10:51 AM
He is a psycho :o

Medina
Aug 18th, 2007, 10:51 AM
he's just an idiot :weirdo: :fiery:

Agreed!

Petersmiler
Aug 18th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Shit. I hope none of my colleagues sue me because I've put on a few pounds.

Tenis Srbija
Aug 18th, 2007, 10:54 AM
:weirdo:

Hey this gives me idea! I will sue Ana, because I lost money on her when she played against Mauresmo a couple of years ago and was injured... Oh here comes my million :drool:

:rolleyes:

Hayato
Aug 18th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Groenefeld is not the victim here. Just wait, this deranged physco will get what he deserves...just give it time.

disco_rage
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:00 AM
I kinda think he has a point. If you are coaching someone, putting in the effort and they can't be bothered to train, to practice you are gonna be pissed off. And if she hasn't paid him, then thats fair enough.

I've always said that there is TWO SIDES to this story but yet EVERYONE seams to be on ALG's side but i'm not so sure. Obviously de Mora is a suspect character from the rumours and stuff that i've heard but to me ALG does not seam very stable.

stefi62
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:01 AM
:rolleyes: I hate that guy! :mad:

kittyking
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Its not exactly a bombshell, I think we already knew that he was a dork

Jogi
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:09 AM
I kinda think he has a point. If you are coaching someone, putting in the effort and they can't be bothered to train, to practice you are gonna be pissed off. And if she hasn't paid him, then thats fair enough.

I've always said that there is TWO SIDES to this story but yet EVERYONE seams to be on ALG's side but i'm not so sure. Obviously de Mora is a suspect character from the rumours and stuff that i've heard but to me ALG does not seam very stable.

agreed, poor FdM :sad: :tape:

tennnisfannn
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:12 AM
what on earth is meghann doing with him?

~Carsten~
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:13 AM
well it's not really a bombshell that he sues her. It was certain, a few month ago, that he will do it.
The bombshell is the 1 million $ he wants from her!

Jogi
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:13 AM
what on earth is meghann doing with him?
f******

Jogi
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:14 AM
well it's not really a bombshell that he sues her. It was certain, a few month ago, that he will do it.
The bombshell is the 1 million $ he wants from her!
dito, how on earth could she pay that?
there was talk about half the money at the FO

.:sk:.
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Font de Mora is an a****** :tape:

lympyisthebest
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:19 AM
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/sports/story.html?id=0700a9ff-58fc-4fa0-9706-726fab145f71

Canadian in middle of coach's bitter feud

Who's the Canadian?

So Disrespectful
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:50 AM
There's more to the story. Anna-Lena didn't just lose commitment. I could be way off, but I've somehow always thought that a banned substance was involved.

iPatty
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:21 PM
does she even have that much to give him? :tape:

Groenefelder25
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:24 PM
I HATE THIS GUY!!!!!!!!!!! LEAVE HER ALONE :fiery:

~Carsten~
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:27 PM
does she even have that much to give him? :tape:

I don't think so

jonny84
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:28 PM
It's a shame that Anna's career has obviously been dogged by this.

She was once a Top20 player and after reaching the final of the China Open and winning in Acapulco, I really did think higher and better things of her.

Hope she sorts out all these personal issues and gets back to her best form.

baleineau
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:30 PM
surely when you enter into coaching agreements and contracts you accept that there will be a risk that your player won't perform as well as you expect. you can't say "right, you're not making me enough money, therefore I'm going to sue you". Otherwise a player would surely be able to sue their coach for not improving their tennis. it's a risk on both sides. ALG can hardly be accused of deliberately not playing well or responding to coaching advice and drills. i'm sure she'd rather be successful too. can't see how this lawsuit will stand any chance.

it's kind of like going on a training course at work, and then being sued because some of it was lost on you. too bad!

saki
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:41 PM
surely when you enter into coaching agreements and contracts you accept that there will be a risk that your player won't perform as well as you expect. you can't say "right, you're not making me enough money, therefore I'm going to sue you". Otherwise a player would surely be able to sue their coach for not improving their tennis. it's a risk on both sides. ALG can hardly be accused of deliberately not playing well or responding to coaching advice and drills. i'm sure she'd rather be successful too. can't see how this lawsuit will stand any chance.

it's kind of like going on a training course at work, and then being sued because some of it was lost on you. too bad!

Exactly. If it's true that she signed a contract and then didn't pay him what she said she would, then the court will probably insist that she pays him but no way is he going to get the full amount.

CuteKoala
Aug 18th, 2007, 02:23 PM
This man is an evil fiend. He obviously wants to destroy the poor girl's life. :(
He ought to be given a good thrashing. :mad:

ptkten
Aug 18th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I think the really sad part of this story belongs to Meghann Shaughnessy. I have no proof but I have a feeling she's too scared to leave Font De Mora. At least Anna-Lena finally got away from him.

thetennisutopian
Aug 18th, 2007, 03:45 PM
He is a psycho :o

All things point to yes... he has to be a psycho. Meghann is psycho for being with him too.

Pasta-Na
Aug 18th, 2007, 03:51 PM
maybe he only allowed ALG to eat a bean per day :tape:

Nico_E
Aug 18th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Why is this guy getting all the slack ?
take a look at Groenefeld this year.... she is an utter disgrace getting that badly out of shape - its only natural she is going to lose everywhere yet according to her its because the coach is giving her rivals secrets about her game.

talk about deluding yourself.

IMPOSSIBLE
Aug 18th, 2007, 03:56 PM
no wonder why Shaughnessy is no physically fit, he's obsessed with fitness

A'DAM
Aug 18th, 2007, 04:00 PM
take a look at Groenefeld this year.... she is an utter disgrace getting that badly out of shape - its only natural she is going to lose everywhere yet according to her its because the coach is giving her rivals secrets about her game.

Well you made a point here

hablo
Aug 18th, 2007, 04:24 PM
:rolleyes:

IanRadi
Aug 18th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Meg :hug:

*JR*
Aug 18th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Shame on Adidas for hiring him to begin with, knowing his history with Meghann when she was way "under age". I hope ALG countersues him. And if anyone wants to let Rafi and his staff know how they feel, here's where to do so:

http://www.itusa-tennis.com/contact.html

Keaka
Aug 18th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Awful.No need to go that far and suing her... :rolleyes:

tennisjt
Aug 18th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Both these people are psycho and he needs to be locked up

Serval
Aug 18th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I hope he gets his comeuppance one day :mad:

IanRadi
Aug 18th, 2007, 08:51 PM
He can't be a psycho because for some reason he is suing her. You can't suing someone just for fun, and less by that amount!

Morrissey
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Oh my god this coach is so sick he was Megan's coach since she was 14! And she had been involved with him later on. I think that's gross. I wonder why doesn't tennis magazine so some articles about these male coaches and the young players. NO WONDER a lot of players PREFER to travel with FAMILY and have FAMILY as coaches and NOT outsiders. I hope this gets thrown out. Anna Lena has a case here I think this guy is a total pervert and OUT OF LINE. I think the WTA should get involved.

*JR*
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Oh my god this coach is so sick he was Megan's coach since she was 14! And she had been involved with him later on. I think that's gross. I wonder why doesn't tennis magazine so some articles about these male coaches and the young players. NO WONDER a lot of players PREFER to travel with FAMILY and have FAMILY as coaches and NOT outsiders. I hope this gets thrown out. Anna Lena has a case here I think this guy is a total pervert and OUT OF LINE. I think the WTA should get involved.
Rafi has been "involved" with Meghann since she was 14 or 15, with a break of about a year in 2003. And there's not much the WTA can do, since she wouldn't rat him out. (Unlike where Joey Giuliano molested a few players who did file complaints and was banned for life, besides having to disappear to avoid Criminal Charges).

Speaking of criminals, a convicted one who's using this new Coaches Council (http://coaches-on-tour.com/coaches_2.htm) to enhance his role in the game (and presumably his chance to find himself a "new cash machine") has no problem with Rafi being a member of it. :tape:

Forehand_Volley
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Players will think twice before hiring a coach that sues players for contractual issues. He's ruining his own coaching career.

What ALG's attorney should do is take this matter to trial, subpoena Meghann and inquire about his relationships with past players he's coached and expose his abusive behaviors. Meanwhile, the WTA quivers, knowing they've sat back and turned a blind eye to this type of abusive behavior and its players being exploited.

We all could be seeing the beginning of the biggest sex scandal in tennis since Bill Tilden.

*JR*
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:47 PM
My favorite Rafi story involved the beautiful Marissa and her mother. Helene Irvin reportedly yelled @ him in the lobby of a tournament hotel something like: Stay away from my daughter, you child molester!
:devil:

DutchieGirl
Aug 18th, 2007, 10:45 PM

HAng on though - HE walked away. He decided to break the contract. He is psycho anyway. Why the hell should she have to pay him if he walked away?

DutchieGirl
Aug 18th, 2007, 10:50 PM

You obviously haven't been following the whole saga. Do you think it's nice to have this guy sitting in your opponants box during a match cheering his head of for the opponant? He was so restrictive with Anna-Lena, she probably wanted some freedom from him, and when she finally got it, now he's trying to ruin her.

DutchieGirl
Aug 18th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Players will think twice before hiring a coach that sues players for contractual issues. He's ruining his own coaching career.

What ALG's attorney should do is take this matter to trial, subpoena Meghann and inquire about his relationships with past players he's coached and expose his abusive behaviors. Meanwhile, the WTA quivers, knowing they've sat back and turned a blind eye to this type of abusive behavior and its players being exploited.

We all could be seeing the beginning of the biggest sex scandal in tennis since Bill Tilden.

Very good points!

Nico_E
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:21 PM
You obviously haven't been following the whole saga. Do you think it's nice to have this guy sitting in your opponants box during a match cheering his head of for the opponant? He was so restrictive with Anna-Lena, she probably wanted some freedom from him, and when she finally got it, now he's trying to ruin her.I agree, he is not a nice guy, clearly.

but its no excuse for the way Anna-Lena has let herself go this year.

matty
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:36 PM
ALG probably gained weight because she was so stressed out by this guy. Lots of people chow down when they are stressed out. Can you imagines having that creep lurking around trying to sabatoge (sp?) your career.

I "heard" that he was involved romantically (and that's putting it nicely)with Meagan when she was only 14 or 15! Men like that could never get a confident woman so they prey on young insecure girls to inflate their egos!

fOxYLiCiOuS
Aug 19th, 2007, 12:19 AM
:eek: :o :tape: :help:

Infiniti2001
Aug 19th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Why isn't this pedophile in prison? :fiery: Meghan is definitely in denial-- hopefully someday she will be brave enough to let it all out :sigh:

DutchieGirl
Aug 19th, 2007, 12:40 AM
I agree, he is not a nice guy, clearly.

How do you know he's not part of the problem for that?!?

Nico_E
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:44 AM
How do you know he's not part of the problem for that?!?Is he stuffing chocolate muffins and chips down her mouth every day or something?
:p

she is a professional athlete, many others have off court problems but they dont become a beached whale - they know the body/fitness is the source of success to them.

RJWCapriati
Aug 19th, 2007, 02:46 AM
wow what an ugly feud!!

Forehand_Volley
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Is he stuffing chocolate muffins and chips down her mouth every day or something?

she is a professional athlete, many others have off court problems but they dont become a beached whale - they know the body/fitness is the source of success to them.
Most pedophiles begin losing interest as their victims become older and larger. Once that youthful appearance begins fading, its off to their next victim.

IanRadi
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:53 AM
This thread is losing seriousness. Can't you make a debate without all these people begin to say things without sense? Can't you talk for a little moment with some seriousness? First you said that he is a psycho, then that he is the cause of the physical deterioration of her.

So Disrespectful
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:45 AM
Elaborating on my initial thoughts, could it be possible that Font de Mora forced Anna-Lena to take a banned substance, and when she no longer agreed to take it, her weight ballooned from the withdrawal, and he refused to work with her?

Just has something to do with Anna saying she was going to lose weight, but that she could never be "that thin again".

DutchieGirl
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:56 AM
Is he stuffing chocolate muffins and chips down her mouth every day or something?

Of for god's sake! People react to stress in different ways. If he was part of the stress in her life (and it's quite obvious he is), then he helped to push her off the rails! No, he's not standing there forcing food down her throat, but he sure as hell is not helping the girl either! I love it how people say "oh she's a professional athlete..." blah blah. Whatever! You think they don't have problems and sometimes run off the rails? She's probably not getting pleasure from tennis that's to Font de Mora, and so she's turning to something else...LOTS of people - professional athletes or not turn to food (females more so) in times of stress!

You wanna REALLY know what this bloke is like - go talk to JR about him. Then you will see!

DutchieGirl
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:57 AM
Elaborating on my initial thoughts, could it be possible that Font de Mora forced Anna-Lena to take a banned substance, and when she no longer agreed to take it, her weight ballooned from the withdrawal, and he refused to work with her?

Just has something to do with Anna saying she was going to lose weight, but that she could never be "that thin again".

Could be possible. :shrug:

*JR*
Aug 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Of for god's sake! People react to stress in different ways. If he was part of the stress in her life (and it's quite obvious he is), then he helped to push her off the rails! No, he's not standing there forcing food down her throat, but he sure as hell is not helping the girl either! I love it how people say "oh she's a professional athlete..." blah blah. Whatever! You think they don't have problems and sometimes run off the rails? She's probably not getting pleasure from tennis that's to Font de Mora, and so she's turning to something else...LOTS of people - professional athletes or not turn to food (females more so) in times of stress!

You wanna REALLY know what this bloke is like - go talk to JR about him. Then you will see!
Anyone who can "unite" Sarah and myself must be a complete :angel: (which Rafi's obviously not) or a complete :devil: (ala Hoffy, who we both dislike). I hope that Adidas (which finally fired this, err, prick :tape: ) learned its lesson about its Coaches' Character.

I did try to warn them about him a couple of years ago, but they showed no interest. I suspect that they already knew about his Predatory Past. Rafi was the first one in the game I was hating on (along with his enabler Meghann) 2 years B4 I even heard of Rainer.

Maybe Sarah can get Petr the Terrible to give Rafi a good beating. :help:

Nico_E
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:14 PM

You wanna REALLY know what this bloke is like - go talk to JR about him. Then you will see!I just find it funny that her excuse for her losing 16/21 first round matches this year is because "he is giving tips to all her rivals before the matches"
like she is in denial about WHY she really sucks this year.

she cant run !!

crazillo
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:33 PM
No player deserves something like that. ALG will never be the same again, espacially mentally. It's such a ba thing that the WTA doesn't do anything to help ALG. I feel bad for her...

crazillo
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I think the really sad part of this story belongs to Meghann Shaughnessy. I have no proof but I have a feeling she's too scared to leave Font De Mora. At least Anna-Lena finally got away from him.

Possibly, still I find it great that she tries to remain neutral.
Annas-Lena hasn't entered the US-Open. I wonder when we gonna see her in a good physical condition again. And on court in general...

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Oh he can have his money.
He can have it after he goes to jail for having sex with a 14 year old.

I think that will give Groenefeld more than enough time to accumilate 1 million dollars. :devil:

A Magicman
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:42 PM
No player deserves something like that. ALG will never be the same again, espacially mentally. It's such a ba thing that the WTA doesn't do anything to help ALG. I feel bad for her...

What should WTA do?

He's not harassing her physically and is very clever in destroying her mentally. He doesn't do anything which would get him convicted at court.

It's the same thing with this sue. Maybe he won't get any money, but ALG feels his breath in her neck again. Even while avoiding going to the US in order not to meet him in person.

Stamp Paid
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:46 PM
lmao

-sugi-
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM
What a retard.

I had the pleasure of his presence at Lykina vs Shaughnessy this year and he was so pathetic :haha:
He also had clipped a video camera to the fence to record the match as it was on a small court. I noticed it during the match but only realised it was his afterwards. If I knew it, I would have stolen it :devil:

gotthebend
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:22 PM

If everyone is so rational and won't be affected by sickly environment, then all those shrinks and spiritual leaders would be out of work already.
Not that I'm making excuse for ALG. She does has her problems.
But if you search this topic in WTAworld forum, you'll understand that ALG's former coach isn't a good guy!
talk about statutory rape:mad:

master40
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:23 PM
If she didn't pay him, why is he an idiot? It's normal to sue her...

CooCooCachoo
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:27 PM
:o :o :o

Rafael :smash:

Mark Spruce
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I agree with you totaly

:rolleyes: I hate that guy! :mad:

Hashim.
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:39 PM
:o:o:o

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:48 PM
If she didn't pay him, why is he an idiot? It's normal to sue her...

Let's try to understand this.

Kim Clijsters in 2005 won over 2.5 million dollars during the summer hard court season.
She gave her coach at the time after the US Open 9,000 US dollars.

Anna Lena Groenefeld has made 1.5 million in career money.
Font de Mora feels he's entitled to 2/3rds of the money she's made on tour.

Now which one do you actually think would win some money in a court of law?

DutchieGirl
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I just find it funny that her excuse for her losing 16/21 first round matches this year is because "he is giving tips to all her rivals before the matches"
like she is in denial about WHY she really sucks this year.

she cant run !!

It's not her only "excuse" and she knows she has to lose weight! :tape: :rolleyes: Leave the poor girl alone! She has enough shit from FDM!

hale-bob
Aug 20th, 2007, 11:54 PM
He's a vulture.

Juju Nostalgique
Jul 16th, 2010, 02:54 PM
I thought that FdM was related to sexual abuse of some kind? :confused:

Zébulon
Jul 16th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I agree, he is not a nice guy, clearly.

ALG probably gained weight because she was so stressed out by this guy. Lots of people chow down when they are stressed out. Can you imagines having that creep lurking around trying to sabatoge (sp?) your career.

I "heard" that he was involved romantically (and that's putting it nicely)with Meagan when she was only 14 or 15! Men like that could never get a confident woman so they prey on young insecure girls to inflate their egos!
agree.

for you, putting on weight seems to be the most unforgivable crime. :rolleyes:

The Witch-king
Jul 16th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Why did you bump this? :rolleyes:

Zébulon
Jul 16th, 2010, 04:03 PM
hadn't noticed the bump :lol: so who won ? :D