PDA

View Full Version : Did Sharapova Just Win the US Open Series

faboozadoo15
Aug 18th, 2007, 04:05 AM
I know very few care (particularly our overseas friends), but I think Maria Sharapova just clinched the series. I haven't seen a thread on this.
Quite unremarkable that someone could win the series playing 1.5 tournaments, but I think with Petrova's loss, and seeing as no one still alive in Toronto will play in New Haven, Sharapova has won it.

Am I wrong?

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 18th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Actually Jelena Jankovic will have 137 points if she wins Toronto.

LindsayRulz
Aug 18th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Actually Jelena Jankovic will have 137 points if she wins Toronto.

Exactly

faboozadoo15
Aug 18th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Oh fuckit. Knew someone had to still be in there!

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 18th, 2007, 04:26 AM

Of course.
Now whoever said to Jelena that playing too much would never pay off was wrong. ;)

serenaforever
Aug 18th, 2007, 04:30 AM
JJ could beat her

heytennis
Aug 18th, 2007, 04:36 AM
Chakvetadze had a great shot to win it but she got sick.

faboozadoo15
Aug 18th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Of course.
Now whoever said to Jelena that playing too much would never pay off was wrong. ;)

There we go.

PS, doubt she'll beat Henin.

bellascarlett
Aug 18th, 2007, 05:26 AM
:haha:

Forehand_Volley
Aug 18th, 2007, 05:37 AM
There we go.

PS, doubt she'll beat Henin.
As long as Jankovic isn't distracted by the huge replay screen she might have a chance against Henin. Forget this is her 22nd tournament since January. She won't be tired. No, not Jankovic.

Polikarpov
Aug 18th, 2007, 05:52 AM
As long as Jankovic isn't distracted by the huge replay screen she might have a chance against Henin. Forget this is her 22nd tournament since January. She won't be tired. No, not Jankovic.

:lol:

RJWCapriati
Aug 18th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Patty have a chance?

Hantu515
Aug 18th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Patty have a chance?

I think so, she'd have to win New Haven

LindsayRulz
Aug 18th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I think so, she'd have to win New Haven

If Patty reaches the final at NH, she will be #1 if Jankovic doesn't win Toronto. And if she wins NH, she's #1.

Hashim.
Aug 18th, 2007, 08:31 AM
c'mon JJ :armed::lol:

mashamaniac
Aug 18th, 2007, 08:47 AM
i wanna congrat masha on this victory!!! cuz i'm sure JJ won't be able to beat tati and/or JH! c'mon masha!

Hellion
Aug 18th, 2007, 08:50 AM
i wanna congrat masha on this victory!!! cuz i'm sure JJ won't be able to beat tati and/or JH! c'mon masha!

what about Patty ? :shrug:

s_j
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Both JJ and Patty will have to win their tournaments if they are to overtake Maria in the series. I don't see it happening to be honest.

xan
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Both JJ and Patty will have to win their tournaments if they are to overtake Maria in the series. I don't see it happening to be honest.

It would be against the odds, but is still possible.

Anyway winning the series would be an amazing achievement for Masha if it does happen.

jonny84
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Patty winning the US Open Series!

That would be so unexpected.

Bruno71
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:34 AM
If Patty reaches the final at NH, she will be #1 if Jankovic doesn't win Toronto. And if she wins NH, she's #1.

So, as unlikely as it seems, Patty could actually win the series without even having won a tournament?

thrust
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:47 AM
If Maria wins this, she is one very clever and lucky lady. The Sharapovs really know where the gold is, and how to get it. Maria played just enough to possibly win the series and to maintain her ranking points she had to defend, and has time for a long rest for the USO. The shin injury- they had to come up with something new as she was serving well-is a joke.

schorsch
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:11 PM
hehe, either way i'm happy as long as masha or jj get it :D

Cp6uja
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Anyway winning the series would be an amazing achievement for Masha if it does happen.Why? Because she need more money? More than 80% her money always will be from off court (advertising), so i think is better if Jelena or Patty reach possibility for USO double money prize...

Slutiana
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:51 PM
cuz i'm sure JJ won't be able to beat tati

:worship:

:lol:

but she hasn't gotten to the final yet

Helen Lawson
Aug 18th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Another great idea goes up in smoke.

thrust
Aug 18th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Shoestore owner: BJK-lol!!!

Mikey B
Aug 18th, 2007, 04:49 PM
i sorta want patty to win!! it'll be the biggest thing she's won in ages!!! would get her on the map at the us open abit too...

njnetswill
Aug 18th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Will we ever see a Clijsters or Davenport like run again? :( :o

Leo_DFP
Aug 18th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Let's go JJ and Patty! Top two spots are up for grabs. :D

The Series is so lame. Maria's only played San Diego, right? And that can win it for her? They should at least include Cincinnati in the Series.

faboozadoo15
Aug 18th, 2007, 06:21 PM

The Series is so lame. Maria's only played San Diego, right? And that can win it for her? They should at least include Cincinnati in the Series.

LA too.

Don't let your hate coud your vision...
You'd rather see Patty win it without even winning a title? That wouldn't be "lame"? :rolleyes:

HammerGirl
Aug 18th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Come on Patty, you can do it!

Just Do It
Aug 18th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Just do it Jelena !!!!

HammerGirl
Aug 18th, 2007, 07:44 PM
After USO, Maria will win the fastest ranking freefall award :lol:

Russianboy
Aug 18th, 2007, 07:52 PM

If she would lose in the first round she is the #6 or something. now she's the two. so...:tape:

faboozadoo15
Aug 18th, 2007, 08:30 PM

Dumbest post of the day :banana:

Direwolf
Aug 18th, 2007, 08:37 PM
come on Patty..
you can do it..!!!

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 18th, 2007, 08:37 PM
after 3 yrs they still not figured it out
the top players still dont give a **** about the US Open Series

they will play when they want and how many tourns they want.
all these gimmicks not gonna change a thing.

faboozadoo15
Aug 18th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Some players care. The Americans, the up and comers, and the patty schnyders and jelena jankovics of the tour certainly would like to double their prize money.

Bruno71
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Some players care. The Americans, the up and comers, and the patty schnyders and jelena jankovics of the tour certainly would like to double their prize money.

That's correct in that most players want to earn more money...Maria, Serena, & Venus can always fall back on endorsement earnings when they're not playing.

faboozadoo15
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I think Sharapova cares about the US Open series, but she's not going to overplay and risk an injury that would hamper her from winning the US Open...

Besides, if Maria wins a major, millions in endorsements flood in, that extra million from the USTA has some friends.

LindsayRulz
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I think players care, but they don't make it as a priority to have the chance to double their gain at the US Open.

UDACHi
Aug 18th, 2007, 10:54 PM
us open series rankings are kind of a joke, but one that i'd take very seriously as a player. that is a large bonus. :bolt:

Andrew Laeddis
Aug 18th, 2007, 11:00 PM
can u imagine if they had the uso series in 2000 and 2001. it wouldnt have even been close.

Forehand_Volley
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:48 AM

Didn't realize that Sharapova's win at the Acura wasn't part of the US Open series, or her semifinal showing at the East West would indicate the Open Series is lame.

Were you aware that Sharapova is the only player in the top 10 that hasn't missed a grand slam singles tournament in five years? Sharapova is a work horse.

Hashim.
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:55 AM
c'mon JJ :armed:

Tenis Srbija
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Jelena :dance: We want extra-money :armed: :lol:

Experimentee
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:11 PM
What a joke that someone can win this US Open Series by only playing one full tournament :o

Cp6uja
Aug 19th, 2007, 01:22 PM
What a joke that someone can win this US Open Series by only playing one full tournament :oBut on other hand:

What a joke that someone can NOT win this US Open Series without lose any match :o
(Sharapova and Henin have chances for that :eek: )

HammerGirl
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:01 PM
But on other hand:

What a joke that someone can NOT win this US Open Series without lose any match :o
(Sharapova and Henin have chances for that :eek: )

Really how smart are you? (worship, worship)

So it's also a joke that Jelena Dokic can't win the Series because she didn't lose a match (she didn't play one either but who cares, that's your argument)

supergrunt
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:47 PM
The extra prize money thing is a joke. No one cares about that.

Conor
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:50 PM
The extra prize money thing is a joke. No one cares about that.

Im sure the players who do well in the series care ;)

AcesHigh
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:53 PM
It's quite a joke this year. They need to fix this system.

btw, I really doubt Sharapova cares about winning the US Open Series. She def. doesn't need the money. The only thing she probably cares about winning right now is USO. I'm guessing she's reached the stage that grand slams are all that matter at this point(like Henin, Venus and Serena).

DarkchildSwiss
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:20 PM
good luck patty.