PDA

View Full Version : Is China´s time of domination about to begin?

ChrisCologne
Aug 17th, 2007, 10:49 PM
There was a time when duos from countries led to domination, f.e. Belgium or now Serbia. Next to that, America dropped their no1 status in teams to Russia or France.

Now, China has a big time. Li exploded, then their doubles teams. Then Peng defeated Clijsters in San Diego years ago. We had Zheng. Is it time now that Yan leads 3-5 Chinese singles players to the top 35? They have such clean and hard hitting groundstrokes.

When will China have a top10 player? I believe that they could very well have 4-5 top40 players at the end of this year.

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Aug 17th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I don´t think so

cellophane
Aug 17th, 2007, 10:53 PM
There was a time when duos from countries led to domination, f.e. Belgium or now Serbia. Next to that, America dropped their no1 status in teams to Russia or France.

Now, China has a big time. Li exploded, then their doubles teams. Then Peng defeated Clijsters in San Diego years ago. We had Zheng. Is it time now that Yan leads 3-5 Chinese singles players to the top 35? They have such clean and hard hitting groundstrokes.

When will China have a top10 player? I believe that they could very well have 4-5 top40 players at the end of this year.

Na Li = Hard? Sure. Clean? :tape:

faboozadoo15
Aug 17th, 2007, 10:54 PM
2008 Will be their biggest opportunity to show their tennis on a big stage, being that all the Chinese girls will be clamoring to make the Olympic team. I think they'll win some titles.

The problem is, I (maybe it's just me) have never seen a Chinese girl and thought she'd go onto win a major (or several). Neither of the Serb girls have even won majors, and they've been knocking on the door for quite a while longer.

And oh, USA has given up very little to France. :tape:

Dawn Marie
Aug 17th, 2007, 11:01 PM
HELL NO! They will continue to hurt their games by telling them what to do! Get real! A fat no no!

jonny84
Aug 17th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Everyone thought this a while back.

Its true that China has got some excellent players :

Tian Tian Sun
Jie Zheng
Na Li
Zi Yan

but the problems lie in injuries, and whether they are allowed to play in certain tournaments. The Chinese Tennis Association is quite restrictive and could be too constructive to allow its players to have an optimum career.

Infiniti2001
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Yan is having a wonderful week, and I can appreciate the elation --- but let's settle down to earth .

thetennisutopian
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Yan is having a wonderful week, and I can appreciate the elation --- but let's settle down to earth .

I agree... Yan's success is no indication of the future. If anything the Chinese have been in a downward spiral the whole year.

1star
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:12 AM
Tennis is not the mainstream sport in China now, a lot of girls choose to play volleyball and bedminton.

Maybe 10 or 20 years later,China will dominte in tennis?

Pengwin
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Overreaction.

LeRoy.
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:16 AM
I wish they'd stage a revolt against CTF and go their own separate ways. I think all of them have loads of potential and i won't be suprised if in a decade we have as many Chinese in the top 20 as we have Russians now. :)

jisung
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:17 AM
don't say that, It's far away
but there should be more Chinese girls in WTA tour

thetennisutopian
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I wish they'd stage a revolt against CTF and go their own separate ways. I think all of them have loads of potential and i won't be suprised if in a decade we have as many Chinese in the top 20 as we have Russians now. :)

Mass exodus from China... they'd be ripe for the picking. Maybe the British can pick one up and make a champion out of 'em.

I can definitely see that being the case though. Right now it doesn't look like that and it won't for a while... they need a Kournikova to propel the Chinese name.

jdyshrky
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:37 AM
It's only a matter of time though. It was the huge shift in Eastern Europe that caused the huge explosion of tennis in places like Russia. If we assume the Chinese are going to relax some of their policies and Westernise even further then expect the same. Perhaps on a slightly larger scale considering their current population is approximately 1,319,704,000.

spencercarlos
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:46 AM

Let China get first a player into the world´s top ten, or reach important rounds at grand slam events, before even trying to call it a "domination".

NeeemZ
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:51 AM

Which players are you saying could finish in the Top 40 this year?

Pasta-Na
Aug 18th, 2007, 01:29 AM
na li is safe in top 30 even she wont play any tournaments in 2007 in think, shuai peng will be in top 40 for sure. yan zi... nutcase :lol: not sure when will zheng jie play again in this year? :p

frontier
Aug 18th, 2007, 02:35 AM
Until the Serbians play in GS finals thats when they will be considered dominant otherwise they are in the second group below the Russians.China has potential to be force in tennis but its too early.

Pasta-Na
Aug 18th, 2007, 02:39 AM
no jinx thread pls :p

see what happened after jelena "serbian domination" thread was posted :lol:

Harvs
Aug 18th, 2007, 02:40 AM
not for a few years...

people get SO excited when a single player from a country does well one week lol

Pasta-Na
Aug 18th, 2007, 02:45 AM
i think China will do well next year.

DomenicDemaria
Aug 18th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Zheng, Li and Peng are solid but I wouldn't say any of them are outstanding. Yan needs more than one good tournament to prove she is a handy singles player. They are look like Italy alot of solid players but no stand out like Henin and Williams sisters.

A Magicman
Aug 18th, 2007, 07:52 AM
i think China will do well next year.

Of course they will. Not only in tennis but in all sports. And we all know why. Though, nobody does the talking.

The next Olympic Games will become the most ridiculous event, a mighty slap into the face of all clean athletes and fans.

They only thing that counts for Chinese leaders for years is the prep for the very one event in their capital and tons of gold medals.

At which stake? People turning away from sports with disgust.

Jakeev
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:42 AM
China has definitely stagnated in 2007 with all the injury woes and heated pressure from its Federation.

Frankly, I think it's Taiwan the world needs to worry about. They aren't exactly racking up singles wins but they are tremendous in doubles and don't seem to have the same pressures their Mainland rivals have to endure.

That nations I think is the one to watch.

maryjane
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:48 AM
i dont think so.it seems the world domination is used too often and too easily.

LudwigDvorak
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I can imagine the singles rank next week...

1 - Yan Zi
2 - Jie Zheng
3 - Na Li
4 - Tiantian Sun
5 - Peng Shuai

:hearts:

mb011
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I soo don't think so, now is the time of Serbian domination, so let's enjoy it people

crazillo
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I do think that they arrived in the elite of tennis, but they won't have three top-10 players like Russia has ATM ever. They will be quite solid with a few nice highlights and good events, but I don't see anyone except for Li Na with opportunities to reach the top-10 - and even Li Na will have problems to reach that stage due to injuries and her mental problems sometimes.

Sam L
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:51 AM
:haha: This must be the joke thread of the day.

mb011
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I do think that they arrived in the elite of tennis, but they won't have three top-10 players like Russia has ATM ever. They will be quite solid with a few nice highlights and good events, but I don't see anyone except for Li Na with opportunities to reach the top-10 - and even Li Na will have problems to reach that stage due to injuries and her mental problems sometimes.

well said, my thought exactly..