PDA

View Full Version : retirements?

sammy01
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:17 PM
how about if a player gives a walkover or quits mid match then they do not recieve the points from the tournament or the prizemoney! i know this will be a little unfair to players that get seriously injured (mary pierce linz, tati golovin miami) but it will stop players from giving up just because there losing! marion could have finished her match and rodinova this week and they probably would have if they knew they would not recieve there ranking points and prizemoney just a thought as its getting realy bad the amount of times players think oh right im losing oh i'll quit! plus you never know they might actualy get back into the match and win it!

Slutiana
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:23 PM
yeah but hypothetically what if a player was in the wimbledon final and was a set and 5-1 up and they did a mary or a tati and had to retire? you're saying they shouldn't get the 700 or 750 (w.e it is) points and the $350,000 prize money? That would never ever work

GoDominique
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:24 PM
how about if a player gives a walkover or quits mid match then they do not recieve the points from the tournament or the prizemoney! i know this will be a little unfair to players that get seriously injured (mary pierce linz, tati golovin miami) but it will stop players from giving up just because there losing! marion could have finished her match and rodinova this week and they probably would have if they knew they would not recieve there ranking points and prizemoney just a thought as its getting realy bad the amount of times players think oh right im losing oh i'll quit! plus you never know they might actualy get back into the match and win it!
No, and your spelling is horrible.

jonny84
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Good point. It would make it fairer on the fans who want to see a full match. Maybe they should only receive money up to the previous stage and ranking points of the previous stage.

So many players have retired this week, and a few have already in New Haven qualies (Obziler and Pin), so expect some more.

Its always the same the lead-up to the slams. Even New Haven final for the last four years, only two have been played to the end.

sammy01
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:27 PM
yeah but hypothetically what if a player was in the wimbledon final and was a set and 5-1 up and they did a mary or a tati and had to retire? you're saying they shouldn't get the 700 or 750 (w.e it is) points and the $350,000 prize money? That would never ever work

i did think about that! make this rule only for wta tournaments not at the slams as theres less pullouts with them as there more prestigous and they have there own rules anyway!

sammy01
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:29 PM
No, and your spelling is horrible.

yes because my spelling was the point of my thread! i just typed it quick its not an essay! :rolleyes:

Lunaris
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:29 PM
How do you know a player retired because she was losing? Can you read people's thoughts?

sammy01
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:31 PM
How do you know a player retired because she was losing? Can you read people's thoughts?

watching marion today there was no reason she couldn't of finished that match! she played a set and a half why couldnt she finish it?

Hantu515
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:33 PM
and what if its not even a Mary or a Tati what if its a Krajicek who had to retire from heat exhaustion in Australia or someone who is just having troubles breathing? Even if you (someone sitting on a computer watching the livescores) believe they could keep playing, doesn't mean they can. They don't have to have something extremely obvious to need to retire.

sammy01
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:39 PM
and what if its not even a Mary or a Tati what if its a Krajicek who had to retire from heat exhaustion in Australia or someone who is just having troubles breathing? Even if you (someone sitting on a computer watching the livescores) believe they could keep playing, doesn't mean they can. They don't have to have something extremely obvious to need to retire.

i was posting this because of marion today and i was watching the match on telly and she quit because she was losing she may not have been 100% but if she had been leading by the same score as she was losing then she would have carried on! it would make players think twice about quiting could krajicek have finished that match yes in all honesty and could henin have finished the final of the OZ open against mauresmo yes but they didnt why because defaulting has become an easy option! why dont they try it for a year and i bet you see the number of pull outs redeuce by 80% at least!

cellophane
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Fining everyone because someone might be faking is excessive.

sammy01
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Fining everyone because someone might be faking is excessive.

its not a fine though its saying if you want the points and prizemoney then finish the match! everyone says health is more important than money or ranking points so if players are realy injured enough to quit then it wont bother them!

Shepster
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:46 PM
marion could have finished her match
just a thought as its getting realy bad the amount of times players think oh right im losing oh i'll quit! plus you never know they might actualy get back into the match and win it!
Thing is Marion & Anna this week, Dani & Eleni last week, etc. they've got a bug which is energy sapping and means basically after 2 or 3 shots into the rally they start getting exhausted. It's not a question of "finishing the match", it's "do I have what it takes to win this set I'm losing THEN take another?" and when you're ill you're ill and you're not going to get any better. I give them credit (especially Anna as hers was publicised well before) for even trying in the first place to put on a show for the fans.

cellophane
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:48 PM
its not a fine though its saying if you want the points and prizemoney then finish the match! everyone says health is more important than money or ranking points so if players are realy injured enough to quit then it wont bother them!

It is a fine for those who can't finish the match because of a legitimate reason to take away prize money for the tournament as you suggested. Prize money for that round would be more appropriate maybe, but even it's not fair.

sammy01
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Thing is Marion & Anna this week, Dani & Eleni last week, etc. they've got a bug which is energy sapping and means basically after 2 or 3 shots into the rally they start getting exhausted. It's not a question of "finishing the match", it's "do I have what it takes to win this set I'm losing THEN take another?" and when you're ill you're ill and you're not going to get any better. I give them credit (especially Anna as hers was publicised well before) for even trying in the first place to put on a show for the fans.

i think that is where tennis has gone wrong im losing this set and i dont feel i can win it so i quit well then klepac should have not stepped on court as theres no way she was going to win her match with henin its not wether you can win or not its wether you can finish the match as 70% of the players that play serena and henin have no chance of winning should they just give walkovers?!?!

faboozadoo15
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Who really cares this much about retirements? :tape:
Would it really mean THAT much to you to see a player hobble through or tank the last 8-12 points of a match for it to have a "real" ending?

Shepster
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:54 PM
i think that is where tennis has gone wrong im losing this set and i dont feel i can win it so i quit well then klepac should have not stepped on court as theres no way she was going to win her match with henin its not wether you can win or not its wether you can finish the match as 70% of the players that play serena and henin have no chance of winning should they just give walkovers?!?!
That's ridiculous. These girls are ill they are not *physically capable* of finishing the match. They try their hardest to even step on court and see how they can do. For them it's not a case of "finishing the match" as in losing 3 more games and walking off court, they have to gauge if they can "finish the match" by taking it to three sets which when you're a set and a break down with a bloody bug it's just not going to happen.

Ridiculous comparison to whether lesser players think they can win or not.

Shvedbarilescu
Aug 18th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Who really cares this much about retirements? :tape:
Would it really mean THAT much to you to see a player hobble through or tank the last 8-12 points of a match for it to have a "real" ending?

Great post. Nice to see someone sum up what this is really about. If a player is feeling unwell I would prefer they give it a go. I would rather see a partial match than no match at all. But if it becomes clear to the player that during the match that they are unfit I have no objections to the player retiring. It is their choice. As faboozadoo says, I don't need to see 2 or 3, sad, uncompetitive games to give me the satisfaction of having witness complete match.

I think alot of this thread comes from the retirements of Srebotnik to Peng and Bartoli to Yan this week. Somehow, I believe people are drawing parallels with these retirements and Henin's retirement to Mauresmo at the Australian Open last year. Thing is there is a huge difference between a player being deprived the chance of celebrating completing their 1st Grand Slam victory and in the case of Peng, a player celebrating a rountine 1st round tour match. I am quite sure Peng and even Yan will not have regretted having missed out on having complete match victories. Infact they will both be pleased to get the chance to get off court a little quicker.

Pasta-Na
Aug 18th, 2007, 02:31 AM
lie-detector :p

RJWCapriati
Aug 18th, 2007, 04:06 AM
Just ask Alex Stevenson her opinion on retirements.

serenaforever
Aug 18th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Just ask Alex Stevenson her opinion on retirements.

:lol: