PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Hall of Fame, Newport RI

Mark43
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:17 PM
I was in Rhode Island this past week so of course I hit the Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport. I was there on the 4th and they were preparing the grounds for the upcoming tournament which began the day after the big W. Unfortunatley I didn't see any ultra glamourous pros practicing (James Blake is the only person entered who fits this description anyways).

The grounds are very pretty. I was quite surprised to find out the tennis compound is located right downtown in Newport on a very busy, commercial street. There is a Walgreens directly across the street in a strip mall. I always thought the tennis facilities were located in a grassy park, right next to the ocean.

The museum is okay. They lead you through the history of the sport and there's tons of memorabillia, like Steffi's racket and shoes from the 95 US Open and Martina Hingis's outfit from Wimbledon '97. Also there are brief videos and informational installations. I was the most thrilled by the memorabillia, and of course i wanted to touch everything. It is all safely behind glass, thank god!!

The strangest part were all the trophies on loan from various players. These trophies are so SMALL!! Me and my partner were laughing the entire time. I always knew players received replicas of the grand slams trophies, but some are the size of my fist. They all varied in size. For instance, a 1979 French Open trophy on loan from Chris Evert was twice the size of a 1990's FO trophy on loan from Steffi. Wierd.

Overall, it is a nice place to visit but I certainly would not plan a whole trip around it. If you do go...head to Maine and get some fresh lobster. It is pure heaven.

Nimi
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:27 PM
impressive...

Couver
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:29 PM
Wow I didn't even know you could visit LOL. Thanks for sharing Mark :)

I believe if a player wins a slam three times they get a full sized trophy. Well at Wimbledon at least I'm not sure about the other three.

Helen Lawson
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:51 PM
The next time I do a show there I will stop in.

eshell
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Thanks for sharing, Mark. Now I want to visit and perhaps find a partner. ;) LOL