PDA

View Full Version : Why Anna is such a good doubles player, compared to singles

Volcana
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:10 PM
I watch the tape of the Chanda/Anna vs Venus/Serena last night. The reason why Anna is so good at doubles is obvious. She a REALLY good volleyer. She has tremendous touch, fast reflexes, can move like lightening, bends her knees really well and has someone to talk to. Anna's like a relay swimmer. She just performs better as part of a team.

But shouldn't 'tremendous touch, fast reflexes, can move like lightening, bends her knees really well' translate to singles? Not necessarily, for two reasons.

a) She doesn't have someone to talk to in singles.

b) In singles, she has to work her way into net. In doubles, she's already there.

Working your way to net is nearly a lost art on the WTA tour. Justine does it well. Serena has improved leaps and bounds in that area since April 1st. Amelie has the shots to do. But most of the tour treats half-volleying like being dropped face first into a pit of slugs on 'Fear Factor'.

Almost all of them can play from the baseline. A subset can volley. Most can't get from the baseline to the net without being passed. This despite the fact that no one on tour can spell 'offensive lob' but Patty Schnyder and Conchi.

If Anna could learn to hit moving into the ball, instead of being stationary or moving sideways, she'd have a chance to get to net behind an approach shot. But my estimation of Anna's volleying has really risen. That's one aspect of her game where she still looks comfortable. She's looked like a better volleyer than Justine in this match.

And hey, Pan Shriver's in the Hall of Fame. Anna as its postergirl might just jumpstart the popularity of doubles.

saki
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Anna's volleys are absolutely amazing. I think she's possibly the best on tour.

But Anna's main tennis problem (as opposed to mental) has always been that while she's a great shotmaker, she's not as good at constructing points. And, as you say this doesn't matter quite so much in doubles because you have someone else to help and you don't have to worry about getting into the net because you're already there.

venusfan
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:27 PM
she rather have two at a time

Kart
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:28 PM
I think the reason why Anna doesn't have as much success in singles is ...

Originally posted by Volcana

a) She doesn't have someone to talk to in singles.

What I mean is that she's a pretty good all-round player and she has these periods of playing amazing tennis in a match. Unfortunately she then plays some awful points.

Whether that's because she doesn't concentrate or because she doesn't have a partner to discuss what she's going to do in the next point/steady her nerves when things get tight I don't know.

Probably it's a bit of both.

Dawn Marie
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:34 PM
Volcana I too watched the doubles match late last night for the first time.

Okay, I think Anna is better in doubles because she is a natural volleyer, she has good instincts at net. She knows how to play tennis with the half court vrs. the whole court. Also I think it is alot easier for her to think the point through with someone else, where as in singles you have to know how to work that game inside your head by oneself. Which at the moment is a huge problem for Anna.

Anna reminds me of Natasha Zvereva, better at the half court then the whole court.

barmaid
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kart
[B]I think the reason why Anna doesn't have as much success in singles is ...
she doesn't concentrate or because she doesn't have a partner to discuss what she's going to do in the next point/steady her nerves when things get tight I don't know.

Kart, Yes, there is definitely something wrong in her singles game that prevents her from winning...no confidence I guess! I have always supported Anna and Martina in doubles..they are a dynamite combo..but watching Anna at Wimby she equated herself very well both in doubles and the mixed matches..she has the experience and does have great skills (at times) but whereas Martina was always credited with being the main reason they won so many tournaments...so was Chanda credited with being the better player (according to the commentators) but Anna's play with Bjorkman was impressive as well...so now she is being partnered with Babsi who is a very good doubles partner....but not as talented as Chanda though! But her presence packs the stands....and hopefully she and Martina can get together at the U.S. Open!!

barmaid

:rolleyes: :hearts: :wavey: :wavey:

RockSteady
Jul 10th, 2002, 06:09 PM
A lot of doubles players have poor court coverage, translating to poor singles play.

But Anna is the fastest on tour behind the Williamses, Clijsters, and possibly Myskina or Henin. The reason is that she pre-thinks points, or doesn't think at all. She'll hit a forehand, and rush to net. That's lovely, but she should wait a split second to see if the forehand put her opponent on the defensive. She doesn't think like that: she just makes her mind up and goes with it. Sometimes she hits an approach and runs to net, not realizing that her approach was right in her opponents wheel house.

Another reason might be all those errors she makes. I'm not sure.

THE NET
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:31 PM
I agree, she is such a great doubles player.

She was doing very well in her single. But with injuries and her lack of consistency in the game have brought her to the lower level. I hope that one day, very soon, she will get back to where she belongs to.

GO ANNA....

:kiss:

Flappie
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:33 PM
What you said, in doubles she can rely on someone, she isn´t out there just by herself...I think that makes the difference...and of course she´s a really good volleyer, great reflexes too:)

Raj
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:41 PM
ANNA/CHANDA v WILLIAMS

end of first set tie-break........Anna shocked me with her volleys, ANNAs volleys made the difference in that tie-break.
Also probably a better doubles player because she only has to serve half the time!

QUEENLINDSAY
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:28 PM
All I can say is that, I'm all praise to Anna in doubles. She could be a good partner for the Williams and Davenport. After a good serve right there a good voley.

Monica_Rules
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:48 PM
I saw that first set and the volleys she played were amazing if she could bring this into her singles she'd win a lot more!