PDA

View Full Version : Davenport: Back, With New Goals

Andrew..
Aug 17th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Davenport: Back, With New Goals

August 17, 2007

http://m1.2mdn.net/viewad/817-grey.gif (http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v8/35b1/0/0/%2a/q;44306;0-0;0;12926233;21-88/31;0/0/0;;%7Esscs=%3f)The Pilot Pen is here, and I can't believe that my first professional tournament in about 11 months is now.

Tennis has always been a big part of my life. Since I was a little kid, the one constant activity in my life has been tennis. This last layoff was a long time to be away from the court, but I didn't look at it that way because I didn't think I was coming back. But now that I am, I can't wait.

The road back has not been easy, but it also was not as difficult as I anticipated.

http://www.courant.com/media/thumbnails/blurb/2007-08/31931649.jpg
Lindsay Davenport I used to work my body to exhaustion and hit balls for hours on end, but now I have dialed things back a little bit. I don't want to jeopardize my health just to get on a tennis court, so I have taken things slowly while still working to get back into pre-pregnancy shape. I am definitely sore in different places than I ever have been, but there hasn't been any pain, so I feel good about my progress.

Am I where I want to be physically? No. That will take time, and is something that I am shooting for later this year and really before the Australian Open next year.

Is my game where I want it to be? No. My stamina is close to what it once was, but my reaction time is still lacking. I feel that I am hitting the ball well, and mentally I feel as prepared as ever, but there are moments where I feel that the ball is suddenly on top of me, when I used to anticipate things better.

I see all of my training and playing as part of a new journey. I am looking at things with a long-term focus while setting short-term goals. I can't have the same expectations I once had, because I am working with a different schedule than I ever have had before - and this isn't a bad thing.

Will I measure my success by whether or not I am ever No.1 in the world again? That isn't going to happen. Success will be achieved by my own standards.

I consider playing World Team Tennis six weeks after the birth of my son, playing doubles at the Pilot Pen and playing singles at Bali all great achievements and something I am proud of. I still want to compete at the highest level, but to say that I want to win another Grand Slam at this time isn't a reasonable thing to do.

In the end, people will analyze (and already have) if I should have come back, or if it was worth it, but the reality is that I am ecstatic to be playing professional tennis again.

I'll be in New Haven soon with my husband and son, and it will be great to be "on the road" as a family. I am looking forward to having a new experience, but am happy to be doing it in a familiar place. This will be my eighth trip to New Haven, and I am excited to be back. I hope you get a chance to come down to the Pilot Pen.

Shvedbarilescu
Aug 17th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Davenport: Back, With New Goals

August 17, 2007

http://m1.2mdn.net/viewad/817-grey.gif (http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v8/35b1/0/0/%2a/q;44306;0-0;0;12926233;21-88/31;0/0/0;;%7Esscs=%3f)The Pilot Pen is here, and I can't believe that my first professional tournament in about 11 months is now.

Tennis has always been a big part of my life. Since I was a little kid, the one constant activity in my life has been tennis. This last layoff was a long time to be away from the court, but I didn't look at it that way because I didn't think I was coming back. But now that I am, I can't wait.

The road back has not been easy, but it also was not as difficult as I anticipated.

http://www.courant.com/media/thumbnails/blurb/2007-08/31931649.jpg
Lindsay Davenport I used to work my body to exhaustion and hit balls for hours on end, but now I have dialed things back a little bit. I don't want to jeopardize my health just to get on a tennis court, so I have taken things slowly while still working to get back into pre-pregnancy shape. I am definitely sore in different places than I ever have been, but there hasn't been any pain, so I feel good about my progress.

Am I where I want to be physically? No. That will take time, and is something that I am shooting for later this year and really before the Australian Open next year.

Is my game where I want it to be? No. My stamina is close to what it once was, but my reaction time is still lacking. I feel that I am hitting the ball well, and mentally I feel as prepared as ever, but there are moments where I feel that the ball is suddenly on top of me, when I used to anticipate things better.

I see all of my training and playing as part of a new journey. I am looking at things with a long-term focus while setting short-term goals. I can't have the same expectations I once had, because I am working with a different schedule than I ever have had before - and this isn't a bad thing.

Will I measure my success by whether or not I am ever No.1 in the world again? That isn't going to happen. Success will be achieved by my own standards.
I consider playing World Team Tennis six weeks after the birth of my son, playing doubles at the Pilot Pen and playing singles at Bali all great achievements and something I am proud of. I still want to compete at the highest level, but to say that I want to win another Grand Slam at this time isn't a reasonable thing to do.

In the end, people will analyze (and already have) if I should have come back, or if it was worth it, but the reality is that I am ecstatic to be playing professional tennis again.

I'll be in New Haven soon with my husband and son, and it will be great to be "on the road" as a family. I am looking forward to having a new experience, but am happy to be doing it in a familiar place. This will be my eighth trip to New Haven, and I am excited to be back. I hope you get a chance to come down to the Pilot Pen.

She sounds very realistic. Good for her. With that kind of attitude, hard working and trying to be the best player she can be in the present, while staying realistic and recognising she is older now and having a baby, she isn't going to be able to put the work in that she used to, I see no reason why Lindsay shouldn't have fun in her comeback. Good luck to her.

To her fans I would suggest they keep their expectations low and then anything Lindsay achieves beyond that will be a cause for celebration.

avocadoe
Aug 17th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Go LIndsay. Hope you like being a Mom as much as you like your tennis...

#1Davenport
Aug 17th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Link? Where'd you find this?

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 17th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Here's a new goal I would like Lindsay to look into.

How about working to get someone to make you an official website?
Hasn't Martina Hingis had one since 1997?

southpaw58
Aug 17th, 2007, 03:23 PM
She sounds very realistic. Good for her. With that kind of attitude, hard working and trying to be the best player she can be in the present, while staying realistic and recognising she is older now and having a baby, she isn't going to be able to put the work in that she used to, I see no reason why Lindsay shouldn't have fun in her comeback. Good luck to her.

To her fans I would suggest they keep their expectations low and then anything Lindsay achieves beyond that will be a cause for celebration.

Yup

You are right. As a fan, I'm glad she's back, i just want her to be giving that push to the younger guns. I think she'll be a force to reckon with but at the same time i just appreciate her giving her tennis live a second birth.

IanRadi
Aug 17th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Can anybody record at least a piece of Lindsay's doubles match? :worship:

PatM04
Aug 17th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Good for Lindsay:)
Good luck to her!

LindsayRulz
Aug 17th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Lindsay! :bounce:

Farina Elia Fan
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:32 PM
so down to earth and honest :worship:

I hope she plays Wimbledon next year :hearts:

eugreene2
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Link? Source?

*Jool*
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:12 PM
thx a lot for postingthis ! :bounce: how exciting it is to see Lindsay is back - with clever quotings and class, as usual :hearts:

ChampLindsay
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Lindsay:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Great words:worship: :worship:

Kworb
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I love Lindsay

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I don't believe her when she implies that winning another slam isn't something she's aiming towards. I don't think she'd be motivated enough to come back if she really believed she couldn't win another slam at some point.

Anyway, I'm just glad she's back, and I'm sure come the AO next year she'll be in fine playing shape to compete with anyone.

Vamos Lindsay.

shirley
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:31 PM
thanks for posting this :D

DownTheLine21
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Great feature. I feel like Davenport's comeback will be one of the bigger success stories of this year and next. I would love for her to really break out at the AO next year, setting some of the young guns in their place.

Sir Stefwhit
Aug 17th, 2007, 06:42 PM
I love her attitude. It's like she said all the things she needs to to shut up all the people who think she shouldn't be back. I believe her when she says that she's not expecting to win a major, it's not like she was winning majors for a long span of her career anyway. I started out not liking Lindsay but through the years she's grown on me. As it stands, I've seen her play live more than any other player and chances are I'll be seeing her sometime again...lol.

jujufreak
Aug 17th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Lindsay :D

so glad you're back :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 17th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I believe her when she says that she's not expecting to win a major, it's not like she was winning majors for a long span of her career anyway.
I don't think she necessarily expects herself to win a major, but I definitely think she believes she CAN and has the game to do it, easily. And she may not have won a major for a while, but that's more because of her being a mental midget at slams and wasting great opportunities. She's always been up there as a top contender though (apart from RG).

lindsayno1
Aug 17th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Lindsay believes she can win another major.....she wouldnt be back in professional tennis if she wasnt working towards the majors IMO!

hurricanejeanne
Aug 17th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I don't think she necessarily expects herself to win a major, but I definitely think she believes she CAN and has the game to do it, easily. And she may not have won a major for a while, but that's more because of her being a mental midget at slams and wasting great opportunities. She's always been up there as a top contender though (apart from RG).

I agree. Lindsay knows she has the game to challenge for majors just as she always has, but I think at the time being she's just happy to be coming back in general. Every win she notches in the next couple of months is a step back. If she starts winning a lot of matches again, her confidence will grow.

I'm just so excited to see her return. I hope her and Lisa put together a nice run in New Haven.

PLP
Aug 17th, 2007, 11:35 PM

:lol:

Actually Hingis.org is unofficial, though a wonderful site. :angel:

PLP
Aug 17th, 2007, 11:38 PM
BTW, both Davenport and Hingis will definitely win majors next year if they play doubles together, no doubt.
;)

Lindsayfan32
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:21 AM
I am the first admit that when Lindsay announced her pregnancy i didn't want her to comeback but now she doing it I'm glad she didn't retire. I should have known the words Lindsay and sensible go together and she going about it the right way and hopefully by next year she will be back to her old self and giving some of the younger player on tour a good old tennis lesson. If not then I will still support her anyway.

Lindsayfanumber1
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:44 AM
:) :rocker2:

Slumpsova
Aug 18th, 2007, 01:14 PM
awww Lindsay :awww:
welcome back :hug:

felldownagain
Aug 18th, 2007, 01:30 PM

Martina Hingis has never had an official website.

Hashim.
Aug 18th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Lindsay :D:rocker2: