PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else find Safina extremely boring to watch?

brent-o
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:37 PM
No offense to her fans but I just don't get any excitement out of watching her play. I can remember her match at the French 06 vs. Sharapova and that had to be the most boring, pitiful displays of tennis I've ever seen. Not just judging on that performance but overall I don't think she's an exciting player. Is there anything in her game you guys see that makes her unique/stand-out?

Beny
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:45 PM
She may not be the most likeable one but I think her game is interesting. She's not the player I like watching the best..but she has very good serve, and feel, she can play great angles,dropshots,moonballs. If she had legs like Dementieva...

There are players that are more boring to watch than her, e.g. Likhovtseva,Dulko,Dubois,Camerin,Salerni..... (imo ;) )

Ferosh
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:46 PM
A simple solution:
If she bores you so much, don't watch her matches.

cellophane
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Did you watch the match yesterday? I fail to see how anyone can say Dinara was boring in it.

darkangel23
Aug 17th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Yes I do think she's boring like Petrova or Kuznetsova!

selyoink
Aug 17th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I have never watched an exciting match with her involved but I haven't seen her play a lot.

cellophane
Aug 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Anyway, Dinara's game is boring when she sprays a ton of errors, but then anyone is boring when that happens.

Shepster
Aug 17th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Anyway, Dinara's game is boring when she sprays a ton of errors, but then anyone is boring when that happens.
Really? Call it the Hantuchova fan in me but when one player is so much better than the other yet the "superior" player is spraying errors it makes the match strangely compelling because it is all on the one person's racket. Take Safina's match against Pin this week, was it a quality match? No. Was it compelling? Sure. If I were a fan of Safina I'd have been on the edge of my seat pulling my hair out going through every single emotion during that match and you can never be bored in that situation.

cellophane
Aug 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Really? Call it the Hantuchova fan in me but when one player is so much better than the other yet the "superior" player is spraying errors it makes the match strangely compelling because it is all on the one person's racket. Take Safina's match against Pin this week, was it a quality match? No. Was it compelling? Sure. If I were a fan of Safina I'd have been on the edge of my seat pulling my hair out going through every single emotion during that match and you can never be bored in thatsituation.

Well, I was rather talking about the situation when a player just makes dumb errors / is inconsistent all the time... the Dinara-Camille match was certainly exciting.

Wayn77
Aug 17th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Really? Call it the Hantuchova fan in me but when one player is so much better than the other yet the "superior" player is spraying errors it makes the match strangely compelling because it is all on the one person's racket. Take Safina's match against Pin this week, was it a quality match? No. Was it compelling? Sure. If I were a fan of Safina I'd have been on the edge of my seat pulling my hair out going through every single emotion during that match and you can never be bored in that situation.

The latter part of the third set of that match was pretty much Dina at her best. Pissed off, spraying errors everywhere in windy conditions for two sets against a massively frustrating opponent - Dinara took the initiative and just blasted Pin off the court. She is not playing with a lot of confidence at the moment.

Keaka
Aug 17th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Actually...I find Safina extremely fun to watch.And I'm not the biggest fan of watching women's tennis...I prefer watching men's tennis.

I like the powerful spinny forehands and flat backhands and the tensity in her game...

LindsayRulz
Aug 17th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I like her reactions :lol:

Shonami Slam
Aug 17th, 2007, 03:57 PM
safina-pin was a great match. and at parts, great quality as well.

Safina crushing Ivanovic on clay a few years back was a much cleaner match in terms of winners/errors - but it was quite boring.

frontier
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Her behaviour on court can be annoying the 'come ons'after every shot.Her behaviour yesterday was boorish to say the least,she kicked the ball in a petulant manner,she nearly hit the ball boy 'a la rodionova'she was screaming in Russian so loudly it really was not a pretty sight.She threw her racket several times and in the end the spectators were not impressed they stopped applauding her shots and started rooting for Bartoli.

stevos
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:39 PM
She was so fun to watch in the second set against Bartoli, banging great winners, she had about 3/4 of the crowd behind her. And her beautiful touch dropshots were great.
I also love emotional players, and you don't get much more emotional than her.

stevos
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Her behaviour on court can be annoying the 'come ons'after every shot.Her behaviour yesterday was boorish to say the least,she kicked the ball in a petulant manner,she nearly hit the ball boy 'a la rodionova'she was screaming in Russian so loudly it really was not a pretty sight.She threw her racket several times and in the end the spectators were not impressed they stopped applauding her shots and started rooting for Bartoli.

wrong. the reason it quieted down was because everyone left after the second, but there were still a lot of dinara supporters there, but also the Bartoli fans who had been there are night but were finally getting heard. People didn't switch alliances too much.

RJWCapriati
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Nope I enjoy watching Dinara

Thanx4nothin
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:03 PM
One of these days she will flatten out that forehand, until which time, to me she's like a less interesting less capable version of Petrova, I'd rather watch Petrova.

frontier
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:06 PM
wrong. the reason it quieted down was because everyone left after the second, but there were still a lot of dinara supporters there, but also the Bartoli fans who had been there are night but were finally getting heard. People didn't switch alliances too much.I was there at the Rexall Centre last night you cannot tell me what happened and didnt happen.The fans were just stunned by her behaviour and I am sure most of them left for that reason,my friends also left too they just felt it was really a waste of time to stick around.The people who supported her were I assume Russian because they seemed to understand what she was saying.

stevos
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I was there at the Rexall Centre last night you cannot tell me what happened and didnt happen.The fans were just stunned by her behaviour and I am sure most of them left for that reason,my friends also left too they just felt it was really a waste of time to stick around.The people who supported her were I assume Russian because they seemed to understand what she was saying.

:spit:
I was there too. People around me were speaking english, then cheering for Dinara. ;)
Everyone left because it was getting late and they didn't want to drive home in the middle of the night.

brent-o
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:21 PM
A simple solution:
If she bores you so much, don't watch her matches.

No need to get snippy. Actually, I don't really watch her. I'm just seeing if I'm not alone.

brent-o
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Btw, I'm not a fan of her game but I have no problem with her personality. I love how fired up she gets, kinda like she's channeling her crazy brother.

ASP0315
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:36 PM
not really.
I don't mind fist pumps and other stuff.