PDA

View Full Version : Jelena Jankovic will never ever ever get tired?

unkowilly
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:55 AM
How many tournaments has she played so far this year? If she keeps on playing at the pace she has, how many tournaments will she have played at the end of the year. 40? She's one of those people who never get fatigued. I'm not questioning her ranking or saying she doesn't deserve her current ranking. I have no doubt that she has earn it and has every right to be complemented on that. I'm just wondering if there's been any girl who played as much as she does in a year. I remember Amanda Coezter played quite many but not as many as Jankobich does. Well, she's probably the toughest ever on the tour.

mankind
Aug 17th, 2007, 10:12 AM
She already has gotten tired. Refer to Wimbledon this year. And she weeks she had off after.

unkowilly
Aug 26th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I think she plays too much. I'm afraid she may get bored of the sport if she continues to play at this pace. I think it wouldn't hurt her a bit with a couple weeks' off.

Bruno71
Aug 26th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Jelena has talked about having played too much and being burnt out since S'Hertogenbosch. She's going to have a lighter schedule in the fall and hopefully next year, that is, if she doesn't act like a kid in a candy store with tournament sign-ups.

How come no one asks if Marion's tired or played too much? She's played more tournies than JJ and is in the top 10 now.

Oh, and JJ's already had "a couple weeks off"...she likely needs a couple more tho.

hectopascal
Aug 26th, 2007, 12:31 PM
How many tournaments has she played so far this year? If she keeps on playing at the pace she has, how many tournaments will she have played at the end of the year. 40? She's one of those people who never get fatigued. I'm not questioning her ranking or saying she doesn't deserve her current ranking. I have no doubt that she has earn it and has every right to be complemented on that. I'm just wondering if there's been any girl who played as much as she does in a year. I remember Amanda Coezter played quite many but not as many as Jankobich does. Well, she's probably the toughest ever on the tour.

:wavey: I hope that was a spelling mistake!

One of the reasons she plays so much is because she doesn't like training, so she prefers to play matches, which is good for getting match tough (but I hope she takes some time off to improve her serve).

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 26th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I don't understand her , she's damaging herself , and then do nothing so high in grand slams .

Bruno71
Aug 26th, 2007, 12:51 PM
I don't understand her , she's damaging herself , and then do nothing so high in grand slams .

2 semifinals aren't high enough? Her draws aren't as easy as Maria's have been lately.

Matt01
Aug 26th, 2007, 01:05 PM
I think it wouldn't hurt her a bit with a couple weeks' off.

She already did that.

darkangel23
Aug 26th, 2007, 01:31 PM
She played RG SF, won in Birmingham and Runner up in s'Hertogenbosch and Wimbledon no wonder she is tired! She won't play Stuttgart like in 2006 that's for sure

alexia1huff
Aug 26th, 2007, 01:48 PM
here we go again, this thread is so 2 months ago!!! If you would have followed you would have known! She didn't play this week that's a break too!

TLP
Aug 26th, 2007, 01:48 PM
She already has gotten tired. Refer to Wimbledon this year. And she weeks she had off after.

Jelena mentioned that she felt worn out in the second set against Justine last week. Both girls gave tremendous effort in that match.

marycarillosucks
Aug 26th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I don't expect Jankovic to have a long career. Maybe only 2-3 more years and then burnout.

Max565
Aug 26th, 2007, 01:52 PM
She hasn't been playing that much these days really... I thought she would win the US Open series because she usually plays so much...

E.Dementieva_FAN
Aug 26th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I think Jelena will enter 2 tournaments on a week in the next year. :eek:

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 26th, 2007, 01:59 PM
2 semifinals aren't high enough? Her draws aren't as easy as Maria's have been lately.

I mean she's 22 , she must think more of winning grand slam than ranking , and this's nothing related to Masha.

Wayn77
Aug 26th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Pre-season high altitude training seems to have done wonders for Jelena's fitness this season. Physically she still looks in terrific shape, surely one of the best on tour. Mentally is a different matter - a couple of bad defeats could start to take its toll for the rest of the year. Jankovic is not a great practiser: she gets it by playing competitively regularly. Amelie was the same: rusty as hell at the start of the season because she didn't practise. Going further back McEnroe never practised, just played constantly.

Bruno71
Aug 26th, 2007, 08:46 PM
I mean she's 22 , she must think more of winning grand slam than ranking , and this's nothing related to Masha.

So she's 22...is that near retirement? Maybe according to marycarillosucks it is, but a lot of players play past the age of 25. Every player moves at their own pace. I just fail to understand how you don't think semifinals at slams are good results without thinking you're comparing her to younger players like Masha.

Havok
Aug 26th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I think she pakced it on big time since at the beginning of last year she was playing such horrid tennis that when she finally struck wind and was on a hot streak, she wanted it to continue. She's beefed up her ranking enough to be seeded very high in ANY event she enters from hereon out. I'm sure she'll have a normal schedule during the fall, and a much lighter schedule for next year. Probably play around 22 events. She isn't the type of person to only play 14-16 events, however this year she's gone way overboard. 22 is always a nice number when you're a top 10 player. Gives you enough chance to fuck up and replace bad losses, while at the same time giving you enough rest to prevent burnout.

Darran
Aug 26th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Well she's not playing mixed doubles with jamie at the US open, so that's one less event to worry about.

@Sweet Cleopatra
Aug 26th, 2007, 10:21 PM
So she's 22...is that near retirement? Maybe according to marycarillosucks it is, but a lot of players play past the age of 25. Every player moves at their own pace. I just fail to understand how you don't think semifinals at slams are good results without thinking you're comparing her to younger players like Masha.

no , I mean she must focus more in playing only top events and winning a grand slam than looking to ranking .

Bruno71
Aug 26th, 2007, 10:28 PM
no , I mean she must focus more in playing only top events and winning a grand slam than looking to ranking .

I'm optimistic she'll do so in the future. She's not as obsessed with ranking now that she's made the top 5 I'm sure. She has a lot of Tier III tournament commitments to fill so she scheduled a bit unwisely this year. And she does care about slams.

Matt01
Aug 26th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Well she's not playing mixed doubles with jamie at the US open, so that's one less event to worry about.

Have they divorced? :sad:

Darran
Aug 26th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Have they divorced? :sad:

Jamie is playing with Liezel Huber, jankovic wanted to concentrate on singles :(

Matt01
Aug 26th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Jamie is playing with Liezel Huber, jankovic wanted to concentrate on singles :(

Tragic ;)

SvetaPleaseWin.
Aug 26th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Jelena has talked about having played too much and being burnt out since S'Hertogenbosch. She's going to have a lighter schedule in the fall and hopefully next year, that is, if she doesn't act like a kid in a candy store with tournament sign-ups.

How come no one asks if Marion's tired or played too much? She's played more tournies than JJ and is in the top 10 now.

Oh, and JJ's already had "a couple weeks off"...she likely needs a couple more tho.

yeah shes played more tournys but shes won less matches
janko looks a little off the pace IMO hopefully she cuts her tournys down, there really is no need for her to play so many with her doing so well-it reminds me of clijsters in '03, and look at her now

Bruno71
Aug 26th, 2007, 11:06 PM

It works better as an annual "love affair."

yeah shes played more tournys but shes won less matches
janko looks a little off the pace IMO hopefully she cuts her tournys down, there really is no need for her to play so many with her doing so well-it reminds me of clijsters in '03, and look at her now

She's already cut the pace this summer with 3 weeks off total and we'll see more of that in the fall as she has 0 points to defend after US Open. I think Clijsters' issues had more to do with being injury-prone, which, so far, JJ is not.

©@®eLess
Aug 27th, 2007, 12:17 AM
You can all hate her but she's no.3 and thats reality! You show them JJ!

Aaron.
Aug 27th, 2007, 12:26 AM
How many tournaments has she played so far this year? If she keeps on playing at the pace she has, how many tournaments will she have played at the end of the year. 40? She's one of those people who never get fatigued. I'm not questioning her ranking or saying she doesn't deserve her current ranking. I have no doubt that she has earn it and has every right to be complemented on that. I'm just wondering if there's been any girl who played as much as she does in a year. I remember Amanda Coezter played quite many but not as many as Jankobich does. Well, she's probably the toughest ever on the tour. :lol:

Shepster
Aug 27th, 2007, 12:35 AM
That's quite presumptuous given her draw... ;)

Bruno71
Aug 27th, 2007, 01:01 AM
That's quite presumptuous given her draw... ;)

That's not presumptious. That's smart. If she had Sveta's draw, then maybe she could afford to not concentrate on singles.

Shepster
Aug 27th, 2007, 01:03 AM
That's not presumptious. That's smart. If she had Sveta's draw, then maybe she could afford to not concentrate on singles.
Or if she had Sveta's draw then maybe she could afford not to concentrate on doubles... ;)

Bruno71
Aug 27th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Or if she had Sveta's draw then maybe she could afford not to concentrate on doubles... ;)

So basically you're saying that since JJ has this tough draw, she should assume she'll lose early and therefore have had doubles to focus on?

Bruno71
Aug 27th, 2007, 01:34 AM
Looks like the point is moot now anyway, she's in the women's doubles draw with Severine Bremond. Puzzling at best.

Pasta-Na
Aug 27th, 2007, 01:38 AM
i heard she starts to get her knee injury because she kept playing too many tournaments. hope she will take care of it... dont want her to retire too early like kim :o

Bruno71
Aug 27th, 2007, 01:40 AM
i heard she starts to get her knee injury because she kept playing too many tournaments. hope she will take care of it... dont want her to retire too early like kim :o

It was a knee scrape...don't blow things out of proportion.

Shepster
Aug 27th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Looks like the point is moot now anyway, she's in the women's doubles draw with Severine Bremond. Puzzling at best.
More $$$, less demanding physically and she won't be breaking Bremond's heart if she gets to the singles QF and doesn't want to risk her chances . Our boy Jamie though would be disconsolate :p. Doesn't surprise me actually, she only played mixed with him in the first place because she wasn't playing womens doubles at Wimbledon. That and he stalked her. ;)

Bruno71
Aug 27th, 2007, 01:56 AM
More $$$, less demanding physically and she won't be breaking Bremond's heart if she gets to the singles QF and doesn't want to risk her chances . Our boy Jamie though would be disconsolate :p. Doesn't surprise me actually, she only played mixed with him in the first place because she wasn't playing womens doubles at Wimbledon. That and he stalked her. ;)

Yeah I think the reasons are likely those, and I assume Jamie could understand that as well, but it's still a bit odd. I'm just not sure if adding court time is a good idea for her at the moment...maybe she wants to work on her net game or something. Perhaps I'm making too big a deal out of it.

Shepster
Aug 27th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Yeah I think the reasons are likely those, and I assume Jamie could understand that as well, but it's still a bit odd. I'm just not sure if adding court time is a good idea for her at the moment...maybe she wants to work on her net game or something. Perhaps I'm making too big a deal out of it.
It's interesting, if I were her and I wanted to play doubles rather than practice then I would definitely do it in the mixed rather than womens because it prepares you for the big servers/hitters you are likely to face (Ana/Venus QF and maybe Serena SF). I suppose though the womens doubles gives her proper matchplay over pracitce and is the least strain on her physically if she goes that route. It's getting the balance right, she could easily lose in the first round anyway with a new partner or dump it if they're doing too well and it's going to interfere.

Bruno71
Aug 27th, 2007, 03:07 AM
It's interesting, if I were her and I wanted to play doubles rather than practice then I would definitely do it in the mixed rather than womens because it prepares you for the big servers/hitters you are likely to face (Ana/Venus QF and maybe Serena SF). I suppose though the womens doubles gives her proper matchplay over pracitce and is the least strain on her physically if she goes that route. It's getting the balance right, she could easily lose in the first round anyway with a new partner or dump it if they're doing too well and it's going to interfere.

I was also wondering if signing up for doubles gives a player more access to practice courts.

Tennace
Aug 27th, 2007, 03:36 AM

Given Bremond's form she shouldnt be expecting many doubles matches :tape:

yohaneuano4
Aug 27th, 2007, 03:41 AM
She has become tired, hence the breaks she had. In Toronto she had golden oppurtunities (a break up) in both sets but looked weary and was broken back. Maybe she needs the money.

Marshmallow
Aug 27th, 2007, 04:17 AM
She has become tired, hence the breaks she had. In Toronto she had golden oppurtunities (a break up) in both sets but looked weary and was broken back. Maybe she needs the money.

I don't think her biggest problems in Toronto / in general are related to fatgiue. She is clearly enrolled to the Nadia Petrova school of thought. Her and Nadia seem to get so preoccupied with what is going on around them, how they look - as soon as things start to get tight in matches - they become brittle. Easy mistakes. She has a really great game - but if she doesn't sort her head out, she probably won't make that BIG win.

Mark Spruce
Aug 27th, 2007, 04:20 AM
play less to play more