PDA

View Full Version : Safina= nicest player ever

Reuchlin
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:02 AM
It was late in the day in Toronto and my sister and I were dying for some water. The $5.00 price tag was a little too high for a bottle so we decided to go without. Before we left we decided to catch Safina's practice session. After showing some patience with a woman whose camera wouldn't work we asked her to sign my hat and then my sister asked if she can pass along a water from the player's water bin. Safina said "sure" walked over and then said, "maybe you'd like a powerade instead"--giving us 2 waters and a powerade. Soon after us a little boy ran up and also asked for a powerade. Also said "sure" and proceeded to ask him what flavour he would like. When the flavor he requested was not in the ice bin she proceeded to look under the table and handed him a bottle with a smile.

Now, surely her kindness was conditioned by the fact that there were no other fans in sight and that we were on a secluded side court with no volunteers/security around. But this is one player that truly went above and beyond!

Kworb
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:05 AM
Aww, nice to see she is still down-to-earth.

Darop.
Dinara :hearts:

Wiggly
No vodka?:p

Really nice of her.

swissmr
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:08 AM
I'm sure Rodionova would have done exactly the same...

goldenlox
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Thanks for sharing the story.

GoDominique
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Nice??? She's stealing food from Tennis Canada. May she burn in hell for eternity!!! :mad: :fiery:

faboozadoo15
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:13 AM
What a cute little story. I've heard lots of examples of how pleasant Safina is in person. I guess it's sometimes hard to believe when you see her so serious on court and often berating herself and yelling.

LindsayRulz
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Nice from Safina to give you something to drink :)

Jacey
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:17 AM

:haha: somehow I don't believe you...I hope your joking, that is soooo far fetched

go hingis
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:20 AM
nice story

LudwigDvorak
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:22 AM
She's also being QUITE generous to Bartoli with all the points she's giving away. :hearts:

thomas.chung
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:41 AM

Yeah sure, she would have done the same.

Rodionova: "Here you go. BITCH!"

next moment, Rodionova chucks the bottles at the kids and onlookers.

Wayn77
Aug 17th, 2007, 02:14 AM
nice story.

She's startin to give the gateaux-guzzler a game as well. C'Mon Dina. :bounce:

Tennace
Aug 17th, 2007, 02:16 AM

:spit: :haha:

No, she would probably take the caps off and throw the bottles at them :lol:

vadin124
Aug 17th, 2007, 02:31 AM
nice story.

She's startin to give the gateaux-guzzler a game as well. C'Mon Dina. :bounce:

thats a cheap shot...i mean if bein 'larger' means you beat the No.1 AND No.3 player in the world en-route to the final of the greatest tennis tournament in the world...only losing to the greatest grass court player since Steffi Graf, then bring on the gateaux's!!

Wayn77
Aug 17th, 2007, 02:57 AM
thats a cheap shot...i mean if bein 'larger' means you beat the No.1 AND No.3 player in the world en-route to the final of the greatest tennis tournament in the world...only losing to the greatest grass court player since Steffi Graf, then bring on the gateaux's!!

Hey cake features - what's happening? The scoreboard is frozen.

Has Bartoli gone to the buffet wagon?

vadin124
Aug 17th, 2007, 03:01 AM
who are you to talk Nadia is hardly a size 0

faboozadoo15
Aug 17th, 2007, 03:02 AM
:tape: Nadia fans criticising Bartoli.

Bartoli has a much better feminine shape.

Wayn77
Aug 17th, 2007, 03:08 AM
:tape: Nadia fans criticising Bartoli.

Bartoli has a much better feminine shape.

kidding, not criticising :p

I will withdraw that cheap bitchy remark.

Marion's having an injury time-out, hope it's nothing serious.

Miranda
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:37 AM
she is nice, but she is not right for giving the waters which do not belong to her to others :tape:

Reuchlin
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:50 AM
she is nice, but she is not right for giving the waters which do not belong to her to others :tape:

The event lets her take as many as she'd like... it matters not what she chooses to do with them :kiss:

Dan23
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:19 AM
nope....Ana I is the nicest person in the world :rolleyes: :p

Mana
Aug 17th, 2007, 06:52 AM

So if she offered them to you, you would tell her that there not hers to give away, and to put them back and she found them. Yeah right :o

Great story :yeah:

ViennaCalling
Aug 17th, 2007, 06:53 AM
That sounds nice.

Hashim.
Aug 17th, 2007, 06:55 AM
:awww::p:awww:

Apoorv
Aug 17th, 2007, 07:42 AM
It was very nice of Dinara. :)

Beny
Aug 17th, 2007, 07:44 AM
That's really nice of her.

RR-87
Aug 17th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Dinara :yeah: :kiss:

NeeemZ
Aug 17th, 2007, 08:14 AM
That's really awesome of Dinara!

alexia1huff
Aug 17th, 2007, 08:33 AM
yeah, just cause it's not hers :lol: btw, she shouldn't just hand the water around...
nice of her, but still...

-sugi-
Aug 17th, 2007, 08:44 AM
:awww:
Thanks for the story. Dinara is always good with the fans :)

stefi62
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Maybe not the nicest, but quite a nice girl!

the water thing already happened to me several times, without even asking, with a few players or coaches in RG or Rome, like Mara Santangelo, Liezel Huber... Liezel handed my three friends and myself a 1,5L water bottle each! ;)

Dexter
Aug 17th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Dinara comes across as one of the nicest girls indeed. :yeah:

Thanx4nothin
Aug 17th, 2007, 10:19 AM
:awww: :yeah:

Ceri
Aug 17th, 2007, 10:41 AM
What a cute little story. I've heard lots of examples of how pleasant Safina is in person. I guess it's sometimes hard to believe when you see her so serious on court and often berating herself and yelling.
Yeah, it's quite a stark contrast - I met her at Wimbledon and she was lovely, very chatty and friendly - the cutest bit, when I asked her if she'd mind signing my programme, I flicked to the next clean page which happened to be the ranking, and instead of signing anywhere she kept looking till she found her name and signed next to that, bless!

frontier
Aug 17th, 2007, 10:45 AM
She might be nice off court but her on court behaviour leaves a lot to be desired.She nearly hit a ballboy a la Rodionova yesterday she threw her racket, it didnt look good at all just boorish.I am surprised she didnt get a warning from the umpire.
I think if she wants a productive career she should learn to process her frustration better.

DutchieGirl
Aug 17th, 2007, 11:50 AM
:) Sweet!

Farina Elia Fan
Aug 17th, 2007, 11:52 AM
thats nice :)

DutchieGirl
Aug 17th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Maybe not the nicest, but quite a nice girl!

the water thing already happened to me several times, without even asking, with a few players or coaches in RG or Rome, like Mara Santangelo, Liezel Huber... Liezel handed my three friends and myself a 1,5L water bottle each! ;)

I've had it too - but it's nice to hear Dinara being sweet anyway. ;)

Blu€
Aug 17th, 2007, 12:23 PM
How sweet Dinara :smooch:

Uranus
Aug 17th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Aw, Dinara :hearts:

stefi62
Aug 17th, 2007, 12:44 PM
You all seem so surprised that she is nice, but well, she's always been! She never says no to someone asking an autograph, always smiles to people...

One thing about her too: she is attending other players matches, that's unbelievable... not many players do that (Husarova, Pennetta, Aravane, Karin Knapp, Mary, Conchi are my only other examples). I've seen her lots of times simply watching, for love of the game.

DutchieGirl
Aug 17th, 2007, 12:50 PM
You all seem so surprised that she is nice, but well, she's always been! She never says no to someone asking an autograph, always smiles to people...

One thing about her too: she is attending other players matches, that's unbelievable... not many players do that (Husarova, Pennetta, Aravane, Karin Knapp, Mary, Conchi are my only other examples). I've seen her lots of times simply watching, for love of the game.

Perhaps coz of the way she is on court, people tend to think she's fairly moody. ;)

schorsch
Aug 17th, 2007, 12:51 PM
yeah, safina seems to be a nice and funny girl, but lately she's been taking after marat on court. which atm isnt the best thing to do. i hope she gets a hold of herself when playing again :/

stefi62
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Perhaps coz of the way she is on court, people tend to think she's fairly moody. ;)

Well, oncourt and offcourt are totally different situations! On court, they're doing their job! especially against player ranked lower, you cannot expect them to be always smiling. And those smiling oncourt are not always the ones that are the nicest outside the court ... I won't name but I have a few examples....

Some of my fav are wrongly considered because oncourt, they are so focused they sometimes appear like machines (Mara, Cara, Liezel Mary, ...) but outside, they're just so nice! You can see the difference when you happen to attend tournaments, only, and that's too bad, cos people are missing things!

DutchieGirl
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Well, oncourt and offcourt are totally different situations! On court, they're doing their job! especially against player ranked lower, you cannot expect them to be always smiling. And those smiling oncourt are not always the ones that are the nicest outside the court ... I won't name but I have a few examples....

Some of my fav are wrongly considered because oncourt, they are so focused they sometimes appear like machines (Mara, Cara, Liezel Mary, ...) but outside, they're just so nice! You can see the difference when you happen to attend tournaments, only, and that's too bad, cos people are missing things!

Whoa! I never said I thought she was a bitch - just that some people maybe got that idea! I didn't really follow her much anyway, but I loved her speech after GOld Coast this year, and since then I knew she was a sweet person - but still it's nice when people give reports like this, because then more people can see what the players are really like. Then they don't have to go to tournaments to see that players can be nice. ;)

Kitten63
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:44 PM
How sweet of Dinara .

Corswandt
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:05 PM
It was late in the day in Toronto and my sister and I were dying for some water. The $5.00 price tag was a little too high for a bottle so we decided to go without. Before we left we decided to catch Safina's practice session. After showing some patience with a woman whose camera wouldn't work we asked her to sign my hat and then my sister asked if she can pass along a water from the player's water bin. Safina said "sure" walked over and then said, "maybe you'd like a powerade instead"--giving us 2 waters and a powerade. Soon after us a little boy ran up and also asked for a powerade. Also said "sure" and proceeded to ask him what flavour he would like. When the flavor he requested was not in the ice bin she proceeded to look under the table and handed him a bottle with a smile.

Now, surely her kindness was conditioned by the fact that there were no other fans in sight and that we were on a secluded side court with no volunteers/security around. But this is one player that truly went above and beyond!

Yeah, it's quite a stark contrast - I met her at Wimbledon and she was lovely, very chatty and friendly - the cutest bit, when I asked her if she'd mind signing my programme, I flicked to the next clean page which happened to be the ranking, and instead of signing anywhere she kept looking till she found her name and signed next to that, bless!

It's really nice to hear this.

But of course Dinara could hand out 50.000 € cash to everyone on WTAWorld and still nobody would care about her.

Harju.
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:13 PM
It's really nice to hear this.

But of course Dinara could hand out 50.000 € cash to everyone on WTAWorld and still nobody would care about her.
:spit:

sad but true.

Slumpsova
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:15 PM
she is so nice :hearts:

pierce0415
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:15 PM
:rolleyes:
this does not make her for her racial taunts against Chinese in Australia :fiery:

Leo_DFP
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Awww! She's always been friendly with me, but I never knew she was that nice to fans. How cute. I want a Safina Powerade. :p

Freakan
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:31 PM
this does not make her for her racial taunts against Chinese in Australia :fiery:
??

Dexter
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:33 PM
??There was some kind of incident when she played Zheng @ AO in 2005 I believe... I don't remember the details though.

Slumpsova
Aug 20th, 2007, 03:15 PM
There was some kind of incident when she played Zheng @ AO in 2005 I believe... I don't remember the details though.
as i can recall, she lost to Jie Zheng in that match. after the match Chinese tennis fan came up to her asking for an autograph but Safina refused and told that poor fan "i don't sign for Chinese." :o

Corswandt
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:28 PM

sad but true.

She's just completely ignored around here. No fans, no haters, no news, no comments, no nothing.

I mean, not even our buddy Piercelotsofnumbers wastes that much of his time hating on her.

Corswandt
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Speaking of which.

Yo d00d.

I'm trying to improve both the quality and the visibility of the Vaidihaters. The current crop, consisting mostly of gloating Ancitards, just won't do. Would you be interested in hating on Nicole V.?

pierce0415
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Speaking of which.
Yo d00d.
I'm trying to improve both the quality and the visibility of the Vaidihaters. The current crop, consisting mostly of gloating Ancitards, just won't do. Would you be interested in hating on Nicole V.?

I don't like her
always refer to her as Devilova in my posts
but I don't hate her as much as those in my blacklist (last line of my signature)

babsi
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Who would have thought a player like Mary would have 2 of the most weirdest/annoying fans?
Pierce18293829 and PierceCheng

At least PierceCheng caused a chuckle...

Darop.
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:52 PM
There was some kind of incident when she played Zheng @ AO in 2005 I believe... I don't remember the details though.

Asian fans (probably lead by Pierce0415 :tape: ) were being too loud, applauding faults, purposely annoying Dinara.

pierce0415
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Who would have thought a player like Mary would have 2 of the most weirdest/annoying fans?

and who would have thought that a player like Barbara would have one of the ignorant fans ?

pierce0415
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Asian fans (probably lead by Pierce0415 :tape: ) were being too loud, applauding faults, purposely annoying Dinara.

even if that was the case, Dinara had no right to say she cannot sign for "Chinese fans"
that is not the proper way to be a professional

-sugi-
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:57 PM
even if that was the case, Dinara had no right to say she cannot sign for "Chinese fans"
Either way, you shouldn't really ask a player you weren't supporting for an autograph :shrug:
Well I would never do that anyway.

Darop.
Aug 20th, 2007, 08:58 PM

So true, especially coming from you, a PERFECT example of professionality! :D Have you made the "I-hate-Shahar-and-Tax" fanclub yet?

Natalicious
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:07 PM

:haha:

Europe rocks
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Dinara :hug: So nice to see players doing something like this

~Carsten~
Aug 20th, 2007, 09:15 PM

:lol:

Harju.
Aug 21st, 2007, 11:52 AM
She's just completely ignored around here. No fans, no haters, no news, no comments, no nothing.

I mean, not even our buddy Piercelotsofnumbers wastes that much of his time hating on her.
I can vouch for that. Whenever she wins a match, there won't be three threads posted at the same time (unless against popular players). And if she wins first few rounds, you could see the number of replies is only single digit.

Corswandt
Aug 21st, 2007, 01:20 PM
I don't like her
always refer to her as Devilova in my posts
but I don't hate her as much as those in my blacklist (last line of my signature)

Well you should.

It would help increase her notoriety over here, since she won't be doing so with big wins anytime soon.

I know you like Lena D., so I would never ask you to do the same for her. Plus Lena D. has loads of fans, so having A-list h8t0rz isn't actually needed.

Groenefelder25
Aug 21st, 2007, 01:34 PM

she would yell some crap, chuck a bottle in their face, yell some more crap and storm off.

austennis
Aug 21st, 2007, 01:56 PM
Nice to see she is still down to earth.. so many people when become famous forget how lucky they are.. good luck at us open dinara

IMPOSSIBLE
Aug 21st, 2007, 06:02 PM
Dinara Safina :hearts: