PDA

View Full Version : Daniilidou vs. Camerin = Drama!

ttaM
Aug 16th, 2007, 09:29 PM
My dad and I were at the Rogers Cup from August 13-15, and I was fortunate ;) enough to watch the entire Daniilidou vs. Camerin match live. This match might not spark a lot of interest, but the drama between these two made it the best match I sat through during the 5 sessions I was there.

The drama all started in the second set. Daniilidou was getting frustrated that Camerin kept pointing "out" when she thought Daniilidou's ball was wide or long. This was only made worse when the linespeople would actually call the ball out. It was obvious that Daniilidou was thinking Camerin was intimidating the linespeople in to calling the balls out. Daniilidou complains to the umpire about this and Camerin just ignores the complaint. Daniilidou then starts shouting "out" when Camerin hits a shot that is clearly long. This occured a few times before Camerin replied "was that long?" when she [Camerin] would hit a clear winner. Meanwhile, the crowd is loving the tension.

During these fun exchanges walks in Flavia Pennetta, who sits down next to Camerin's coach. On the other side of the bleachers sat Team Daniilidou: Coach, redhaired lady w/penciled in eyebrows, and J. Woeher. Woeher would literally clap at every Camerin error.

It was obvious Camerin was saying some {nasty?} stuff about Daniilidou in Italian, because nobody except Pennetta and the coach would understand. Flavia was seen laughing a lot during this. Eleni said her fair share in Greek. At one point my dad heard Eleni say, "You will never be a champion!" :eek:

All this occured in the second set and was over at the start on the third. Camerin took a bathroom break and Eleni's coach came in to talk to her during that time. I assume to calm her down. The crowd was clearly behind Camerin, but I was still rooting for Daniilidou. I even got her autograph after the match ;)

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j183/MJM1982/IMG_1169.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j183/MJM1982/IMG_1173.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j183/MJM1982/IMG_1175.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j183/MJM1982/IMG_1176.jpg

Freakan
Aug 16th, 2007, 09:40 PM
:lol:

tobi
Aug 16th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Not a surprise if Camerin and Daniilidou are on court at the same time :lol:

Thanx for the report & photos.

lolas
Aug 16th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Thanks.
Camerin is quite nasty.
I remember her making fun of Sprem when they played eachother at Roland Garros.

Elisse
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:09 PM
hahahhaha :lol:

:hearts: :kiss: :worship: Eleni :worship: :kiss: :hearts:

Thanks for the great report and photos!!! :D :kiss:

Declan
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I was at this match, too -it was real drama, and I too wanted Daniilidou to win. The crowd seemed to favour Camerin, for some reason. And Eleni's coach is HOT!

RR-87
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:18 PM
:lol:

Goai
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Go Camerin! :lol:

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks.
Camerin is quite nasty.
I remember her making fun of Sprem when they played eachother at Roland Garros.
What was Camerin saying about Sprem? :confused:

Mana
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Eleni :worship:
MEC :ras:

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Not so surprising that the crowd favors Camerin.

We all know people tend to be sexist in general.

urklerlay
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:38 PM
A match report and pictures together!! I can't ask for much more than that...great job!

Not quite sure why the crowd would be behind Camerin ... glad that Eleni was victorious!

Andrew..
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Not so surprising that the crowd favors Camerin.

We all know people tend to be sexist in general.
:haha:

lolas
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:40 PM
What was Camerin saying about Sprem? :confused:

It wasn't her but her coach. I sat right behind him and he said something to her like "la Sprem" followed by words I did not understand as my Italian isn't the best. But he and Camerin exchanged dirty looks (she was a bit like "No you can't say that" but she was obviously amused) and then they had a laugh.

Chris_G
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:46 PM
Ooh, this reminds me very much of a match I saw Daniilidou play against Henrieta Nagyova, back in the 2002 US Open. Nagyova was up to all kinds of antics: arguing line calls, stalling when Daniilidou was about to serve, fist pumps while looking across the net at her, etc. Eleni got rattled and kept complaining to the chair umpire about Henya's behavior. Nagyova ultimately pulled it out, 7-5 in the third. Not much eye contact going on in the handshake:

http://www.tennis-ontheline.com/pics/02us/02ushnd.jpg

Andrew..
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:58 PM
It wasn't her but her coach. I sat right behind him and he said something to her like "la Sprem" followed by words I did not understand as my Italian isn't the best. But he and Camerin exchanged dirty looks (she was a bit like "No you can't say that" but she was obviously amused) and then they had a laugh.
Maybe he was just saying, "La Sprem blows," or something.

IanRadi
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:18 PM
:lol: What a match!!! :lol:

Just Do It
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Meanwhile, the crowd is loving the tension.

:banana:

Darop.
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:33 PM

:weirdo: Wow, you're amazing powers of deduction...

I don't see how that is "making fun of", he could of said "la sprem hits 842756 UEs". And he would have been correct.

pcrtennis
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:36 PM
daniliidou is kind of annoying but Camerin sucks so I don't who she thinks she is...

lolas
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:36 PM

I don't see how that is "making fun of", he could of said "la sprem hits 842756 UEs". And he would have been correct.

It was before the match started and it was obvious.

NeeemZ
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:37 PM

:lol: :lol:

go hingis
Aug 17th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Go Eleni!