PDA

View Full Version : Which countries deserve a stop-off on the WTA Tour?

jonny84
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:01 AM
I think that the calender, although long as it is, should include tournaments in some of the countries which has seen great success from their players in recent years.

I am surprised that SERBIA hasn't got a premium tournament on the calender. After all it boasts two of the Top5 players in the womens rankings. I really think it would be fun for Serbian fans to see a final match-up and rivalry between Ivanovic and Jankovic.

Maybe SLOVAKIA should have its indoor tournament back on the calender. After all it, boasts Daniela Hantuchova, Cibulkova, Sucha and Gajdosova.

and I would also think BELARUS should have a tournament soon, as their players have been making strides in the rankings this year, thanks to Azarenka and Govortsova.

Dexter
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:04 AM
and I would also think BELARUS should have a tournament soon, as their players have been making strides in the rankings this year, thanks to Azarenka and Govortsova.I can't imagine a tournament in a country like Belarus.

spiceboy
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:05 AM
I am surprised that SERBIA hasn't got a premium tournament on the calender. After all it boasts two of the Top5 players in the womens rankings. I really think it would be fun for Serbian fans to see a final match-up and rivalry between Ivanovic and Jankovic.

That would be a Tier II at least for Serbia :tape:

Bruno71
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Nauru, Bhutan, Sao Tome & Principe, Suriname, Brunei, Equatorial Guinea, and Vatican City.

spiceboy
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Maybe SLOVAKIA should have its indoor tournament back on the calender. After all it, boasts Daniela Hantuchova, Cibulkova, Sucha and Gajdosova.

Slovakia has a $100K+H the same week as Linz so it is virtually a WTA event. If Cibulkova, Sucha or Gajdosova (who looks more Aussie than Slovak to me btw) want to play it they are free to do it ;)

lympyisthebest
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:15 AM
The beautiful and wealthy country of Liechtenstein. :D

patch.
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Serbia should have ones - but where :confused:

williamsfan
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Somewhere in Africa

A Magicman
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Iran

schorsch
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:24 AM
serbia should have one on both for wta and atp. croatia has two atp tournas whereas serbia has none :mad: also the zurich open should be kept in the tour and then i guess there should be a small tournament in russia keeping the kremlin cup though.

up!
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Africa
Serbia

Chris 84
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:26 AM
How about the Baghdad Open :rocker2: :p

Mana
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Argentina.

Dexter
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Dally Randriantefy should organize a tournament in her backyard on Madagascar.

Freakan
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Serbia should have ones - but where :confused:
in a swimming pool:p

frontier
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:36 AM
There some places where players will not feel safe like Belarus Moldova Georgia Serbia and Bosnia.I think the Czech Republic is a good idea in Prague , Lisbon Portugal,Cape town South Africa is really a beautiful place.

matanuriel
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Israel should get 1, after we almost have a tournament last year that was called off because of the war, and this year too it didn't go and next year it is over. there are many people here who would love to see some of the players on the tour.

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Iraqi Open, Iranian Open, The Talibanian Open, North Korean Kind of Open.
The Evil Slam :banana:

schorsch
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:40 AM
there is a tourna in prague ECM Prague Open

Prague, Czech Republic
May 7-13, 2007
Tier IV
Prize Money: $145,000
Draw: 32M/32Q/16D
Surface: Red Clay/Outdoors
Tournament Director: Vladislav Savrda

kittyking
New Zealand deserves another one, we are world famous for our hospitality (and Christchurch is more than willing to hold it)

I think there should be one in Africa somewhere, just because it could help boost their tourism - I agree security will be a barrier but if a country can do enough to get over this obstacle it certainly would help the region.

schorsch
There some places where players will not feel safe like Belarus Moldova Georgia Serbia and Bosnia.I think the Czech Republic is a good idea in Prague , Lisbon Portugal,Cape town South Africa is really a beautiful place.

portugal has estoril

spiceboy
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:41 AM
there are many people here who would love to see some of the players on the tour.

The question is...would players love to go to Israel? Only going through Tel Aviv airport is :help:

schorsch
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:41 AM
well serbia has a big sports centre where the davis cup will be held indoors. it could be held there.

schorsch
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:42 AM
well there was one the anda open or something like that right?

AnnaK_4ever
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:43 AM

Belarus is probably the safest place in Europe (after Monte Carlo maybe). I mean for those who are not into politics.

Aryman3
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:56 AM
In Poland in place of late J&S Cup should be Duck Brothers Open for gay tennis community

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 16th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Dally Randriantefy should organize a tournament in her backyard on Madagascar.

I would love a tournament in Madagascar or South Africa.

matanuriel
Aug 16th, 2007, 12:13 PM
The question is...would players love to go to Israel? Only going through Tel Aviv airport is :help:

:lol: It is not that bad, we just want to be safe at our country. I believe that some players from the top 50 would come, if it would be a tier 3/4 it won't be the strongest, that for sure, but every player would get a warm wellcome!:kiss:
I just want to see some bug games in Israel, as I can't afford (in this stage of life) to fly to see a tournemant.

Have you been to Israe once? it is really great in here!:D

spiceboy
Aug 16th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Somewhere in Africa

They already have Tier IV Morocco Open :p

I remember when Egypt held a Tier III tournament in Cairo in 1999. The field was great there:

http://www.angelfire.com/space/wta/tur1999/cair166.htm

janko
Aug 16th, 2007, 12:23 PM
South Africa

Brazil

Romania

Ukraine

Israel

Just Do It
Aug 16th, 2007, 12:52 PM
Serbia will host davis cup ( vs Australia ) this september in ultra modern "ARENA" for 20 000 people. WTA tournament could be held there :lol:

Serbia should have ones - but where

roxi
Aug 16th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Cuba !!!

-sugi-
Aug 16th, 2007, 08:53 PM
I would like to see one in Africa :shrug:
I wouldn't mind another one in the UK at another time of the year from the Grass season, because I just moved to the UK and have to wait all year for a WTA tournament :(

Conor
Aug 16th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Ireland! :)

frenchie
Aug 16th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Maybe South Africa?

Vlad Tepes
Aug 16th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I don't think a WTA tournament should spring up in any country as soon as a native player starts moving up the rankings. The effect would be that quite a few tournaments would only live for 2-3 years, just to be replaced by other home places of in-form players.
The tournaments should be held in places that offer the best conditions, also taking into account the tradition and the popularity of tennis in those locations. Having said this, I support a more even geographical distribution, thus holding more tournaments in Eastern Europe, Africa and South America.

Lunaris
Aug 16th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Serbia will host davis cup ( vs Australia ) this september in ultra modern "ARENA" for 20 000 people. WTA tournament could be held there :lol:
But you need more than one court. :p

Beny
Aug 16th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Slovakia :D

oh yes,Serbia too :)

Pckrfrk4
Aug 16th, 2007, 09:57 PM
texas, even though its not a country :)

Ferosh
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:01 PM
It's not a country but... one of those California tournaments should be moved to Chicago.

felipe2004
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Brazil and Argentina

sfselesfan
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:08 PM
South America needs at least one Tier I tournament. They create such talent, yet they get completely ripped off in terms of participation. Put a big tournament or two in South America.

SF

Edit: Felipe...didn't see your post until mine popped up. Great minds think alike I guess. :)

Maria Rosa
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:19 PM
I think counties that do not allow jewish to play should not be in the WTA.
Examples: Arab counties like Dubai And Quatar (both Tier 2).

A shame, but money blinds, petro-money evenmore.

DefyingGravity
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:22 PM
I think a tournament in Serbia, Slovakia, Ukraine, Belarus, Romania would be very good for tennis in Europe. Africa needs a tournament that's not Morocco (SAR La Pricesse or something like that, right?). I think a hard court tournament early in the year in Johannesburg or Cape Town would be a good step in the right direction, and then a Tier II/Tier I event in Buenos Aires, Rio would be good, especially since Argentina and Brazil are South America's powerhouse tennis countries.

IanRadi
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:28 PM
South America needs at least one Tier I tournament. They create such talent, yet they get completely ripped off in terms of participation. Put a big tournament or two in South America.

SF

Edit: Felipe...didn't see your post until mine popped up. Great minds think alike I guess. :)

Argentina wants to make a National (something like a Masters Series) with Mexico in the 2009 or 2010. Apparently Mexico is going to give the money and Argentina the place. I also heard that it'll be a ATP and WTA tournament.

*Jool*
Aug 17th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I'd love to see a tournament in Greece :)

@danieln1
Aug 17th, 2007, 12:11 AM
My country, Brazil! In Rio, in 2006, I saw an exhibition in Copacabana beach between Martina and Anna K, awesome! Too bad Anna had to retire because of a blister in her hand... They should hold a tournament here

Slampova
Aug 17th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Ireland :p

IanRadi
Aug 17th, 2007, 02:29 AM
My country, Brazil! In Rio, in 2006, I saw an exhibition in Copacabana beach between Martina and Anna K, awesome! Too bad Anna had to retire because of a blister in her hand... They should hold a tournament here

Bahia Blanca (Brazil) was a very nice tournament. And a big one.

Wayn77
Aug 17th, 2007, 02:31 AM
BRAZIL
Argentina
Peru

njnetswill
Aug 17th, 2007, 03:14 AM
Didn't Belgium lose all of its tournaments? :confused:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Aug 17th, 2007, 03:41 AM
It would be succesful here in Chile

The fucking ticket in Viña del Mar is more expensive than many TMS, the quality is :help: :tape: but the stadium is full

fufuqifuqishahah
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:05 AM
They already have Tier IV Morocco Open :p

I remember when Egypt held a Tier III tournament in Cairo in 1999. The field was great there:

http://www.angelfire.com/space/wta/tur1999/cair166.htm

http://photo910.tripod.com/cgi-bin/wta.pl?p1=2439&p2=2002

why did Ekaterina Bychkova play solely egyptian challengers for a while?

thetennisutopian
Aug 17th, 2007, 07:05 AM
IDK about you'll but I miss the MSG YEC. An indoor hard court tournament in Madison Square Garden would rock!

I definitely think that Africa should have more tournaments.

A Grand Slam in Antarctica would be beyond fetch though if you ask me... NEW ICE SURFACE! It would suck to play double handed on ICE wouldn't it...

spiceboy
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:55 AM
http://photo910.tripod.com/cgi-bin/wta.pl?p1=2439&p2=2002

why did Ekaterina Bychkova play solely egyptian challengers for a while?

Well, she had no ranking and she played these 4 Egyptian tournaments in a row from qualies as cut-off there is so low you don't need a ranking...playing 3-4 tournaments in a row in the same area is pretty common in order to save time/money, especially for a Russian in 2002 when there weren't many tournaments in Russia for them to play.

spiceboy
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Argentina wants to make a National (something like a Masters Series) with Mexico in the 2009 or 2010. Apparently Mexico is going to give the money and Argentina the place.

That sounds like the stupid joke of the day. Surely Mexicans are not that stupid :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

NeeemZ
Aug 17th, 2007, 10:35 AM
IDK about you'll but I miss the MSG YEC. An indoor hard court tournament in Madison Square Garden would rock!

I definitely think that Africa should have more tournaments.

A Grand Slam in Antarctica would be beyond fetch though if you ask me... NEW ICE SURFACE! It would suck to play double handed on ICE wouldn't it...

Yep, I agree with you with Africa having more tournaments.