PDA

View Full Version : When does Sesil Karatancheva comeback?

Keaka
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:29 AM
I am really interested, how she will handle all that.I really feel bad she had to stop at 16 even if she doped.

But when exactly was she disqualified?She was supposed to have 2 years of penalty, right?

NeeemZ
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:31 AM
It should be January 1, 2008 if my memory serves me well.

NeeemZ
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Yep, according to her website she is returning on January 1, 2008.

Keaka
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:35 AM
It should be January 1, 2008 if my memory serves me well.

Oh, so they sentenced her to something more than 2 years.

Thanks, didn't know that :D

Viktymise
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Oh, so they sentenced her to something more than 2 years.

Thanks, didn't know that :D

No just 2 years from Jan 2006 to Jan 2008.

NeeemZ
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:41 AM
No just 2 years from Jan 2006 to Jan 2007.

You mean 2008, right?

Viktymise
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:42 AM
You mean 2008, right?

Ooops sorry yeah 2008 :p

NeeemZ
Aug 16th, 2007, 10:44 AM

:) No Problems!

Mike_T
Aug 16th, 2007, 11:04 AM

...and not before she's passed one of those tests......

CuteKoala
Aug 17th, 2007, 11:51 PM
I'm looking forward to Karatantcheva's comeback. :)

http://www.sesil-karatantcheva.com/photos/sesil-121.jpg

http://www.sesil-karatantcheva.com/photos/sesil-119.jpg

jonny84
Aug 19th, 2007, 03:55 PM
We probably wont see her for a while on the Main Tour as she is no longer ranked, and she'll need to play three tournaments before she is ranked. I dont know how many WCs she'll secure at tour level events. Hopefully tournament directors will give her at least Qualifiacation WCs.

Just Do It
Aug 19th, 2007, 04:53 PM
She will start from 10k events, or what ?

Groenefelder25
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:07 PM
:kiss: missing u sesil, cant wait for u to come back:)

Keaka
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I believe she will get a WC somewhere (if she will have great results at 25k's or so), even if some people don't agree.

But I think she will start from 10-25k's

But does protected ranking count? :p

crazillo
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I am really curious to see whether she still trained a lot.

The whole story about Sesil is strange and she was only 16 when all of these things happened, maybe she should not be seen as negative as Canas e.g. was.

arn
Aug 19th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I hope she starts in 10K's and goes up like every player has to do who has no ranking. Every player who cheated does not deserve to receive WC's and should start from the bottum again, I don't see why they should be helped.

Serena-rules-no1
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:10 PM
We probably wont see her for a while on the Main Tour as she is no longer ranked, and she'll need to play three tournaments before she is ranked. I dont know how many WCs she'll secure at tour level events. Hopefully tournament directors will give her at least Qualifiacation WCs.

yes, hopefully

let them give her a dose of steroids while they are at it

Bart
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:23 PM
yes, hopefully

Or a box of condoms. :secret:

*JR*
Aug 19th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Every player who cheated does not deserve to receive WC's and should start from the bottum again, I don't see why they should be helped.
Including Elke Clijsters as late as '04 when she still had never won a singles match on anything higher than the Challenger level? :rolleyes: (Not tournament, but match).

http://www.itftennis.com/womens/players/player.asp?player=35013397

arn
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Including Elke Clijsters as late as '04 when she still had never won a singles match on anything higher than the Challenger level? :rolleyes: (Not tournament, but match).

http://www.itftennis.com/womens/players/player.asp?player=35013397

The point being??? :scratch:

frenchie
Aug 19th, 2007, 07:49 PM
She doesn't deserve WC!
She's a cheater and that's all!

AjdeNate!
Aug 19th, 2007, 08:47 PM
:sesil:

*JR*
Aug 19th, 2007, 09:04 PM
The point being??? :scratch:
That (while she didn't technically cheat) Elke clearly got undeserved WC's (3 times into Antwerp and twice into Leipzig, both Tier II's, all into the maindraw, not even qualifying). Because of who her sister is. If you can't accept that this was flat out wrong (as you and Bram never have) you shouldn't be "holier than thou" about anyone else getting WC's.

ASP0315
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:24 PM
i don't mind her getting wildcards in itf Futures events. She defineltly doesn't deserve any wildcards for wta events.
i personally feel the punishment is too harsh on her but wta needed to send a message to doping cheats.

saint2
Aug 19th, 2007, 10:44 PM
She doesnt need wildcards to show her class. Shes too good to not play...Cant wait her comeback

DownTheLine21
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I think her comeback will be successful. She showed great promise (drugs can enhance skill, not produce it) two years ago.

njnetswill
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:46 PM
I think Qual WCs into 25ks is fair. WTA level of course not.

plantman
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:15 AM
I think her comeback will be successful. She showed great promise (drugs can enhance skill, not produce it) two years ago.

Nicely said!:)

mankind
Aug 20th, 2007, 12:40 AM
Her comeback will be like Canas' - 2 wins over the No.1 in two weeks. :p

ASP0315
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:01 AM
yes, hopefully

:haha:

sammy01
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Or a box of condoms. :secret:

and a cumcumber so she can practice putting them on (that what we did at school the good old days! :lol: :tape: )

IanRadi
Aug 20th, 2007, 02:23 AM
What was exactly her mistake? What did she drink?

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Karantantcheva ready to finally return to court

By Douglas Robson, special for USA TODAY

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2007-11-08-karatantcheva_N.htm

Sesil Karatantcheva knows all-too-well the path facing Martina Hingis. In just a few weeks, Karatantcheva returns to the women's tour after serving a two-year doping suspension for the banned steroid nandrolone.
"If she said she didn't take it, she should do everything to prove that she's innocent," Karatantcheva said of Hingis, who admitted testing positive for cocaine while announcing her second retirement last week. "Everybody can make mistakes," she said of the doping process. "After all, people who (administer) the test also are human beings."
In 2005, Karatantcheva, just 15, reached a high of No. 35 and defeated former No. 1 Venus Williams on her way to the French Open quarterfinals. But her breakthrough season ended in disaster when the Bulgarian star tested positive twice that year — at the French Open and in Tokyo during a Fed Cup tie.
In January 2006, the International Tennis Federation decided to suspend her for two years. Karatantcheva claimed innocence and argued that the nandrolone was naturally produced as a result of an aborted pregnancy. The Court of Arbitration for Sport upheld the ban last year, which ends Jan. 1.
Speaking by phone Thursday night from her base in Bulgaria, Karatanchvea, who has rarely spoken to the media during the last two years, maintained her innocence and said she believes her she was used to set an example.

"You have to know that my penalty is the biggest one in women's tennis history," said the Sofia-born player, who besides her suspension was forced to return a record $290,000 in prize money. "I can easily say my case was just to make other players understand that this is wrong. I was set for an example."
Pressed if the aborted pregnancy was still her explanation, she said, "Yeah, mostly. I had a tough puberty, really."
Though the feisty baseliner isn't sure if there is a wider doping problem in women's tennis, she noted that considering the number of drug cases in other sports, the money involved and the physical demands, it's not entirely surprising.
"Now sports people today are expecting to win millions and play hours and hours," she said. "What body is going to stand up for this? What kind of person do you have to be to survive this pressure and all the noise? Who's going to be human enough to survive this?"
Now 18, Karatantcheva, who has no ranking and says she is starting from "zero zero zero point zero," isn't sure yet where she will resume her career, though most likely it will be in Europe or the USA. It could depend on whether a tournament grants her a wild card. Either way, she's champing at the bit to get back into competition.
"I mean, c'mon, I've been out for two years," she said. "I've been waiting for this one for so long. I'm going to play even a $5,000 (event) if I have to."
Despite her ban, Karatantcheva has been busily preparing to return. The teenager has been training at a sports facility outside Sofia in Pravets, where she has been hitting mostly with men, including several members of her country's Davis Cup team.
She has been living on her own for about a year, she said, and recently signed a deal with a management company in Germany, where she will train the next two months.
"I know it's hard to believe but I've actually been practicing more than when I was playing professionally," she said. "I can easily say I'm in much better shape than I used to be. Besides, now I'm 18. I've grown up. I've developed."
There have been other changes since Karatantcheva was last seen on tour as a brash 15-year-old, who famously announced she would "kick (Maria Sharapova's) ass" before they played at Indian Wells in 2004 (Sharapova won in three sets).
For one, she's mellowed.
"I'm not sorry for anything I said just because if I said something that means I really felt it," she said with a chuckle. "The only difference is that this time when I want to say something I'm not going to go and say it, I'm actually going to try to count to 10 and then say it and hopefully not make such a big noise about it."
She's also grown a couple of inches to about 5-10. And she's sporting a new tattoo of a fairy on her back.
She says it's been tough to be away from competition and that she missed the tour but she also said it helped her mature and deal with her early success.
"I immediately got a lot of fame and attention at a very early age," she said. "At one point my head was flying to the sky. I think I needed a bit of a rest to get myself together and work on my game."
Karatantcheva says none of her peers on the women's tour had contacted her since she was banned. She holds no bitterness and takes it with a grain of salt.
"When something like this happens to a player the other players are not the first people who are going to call you on the phone," she said. " After all, this is an individual sport."
She's most proud she refused to let go of her dreams.
"I'm very proud of myself that in these two years I didn't stop for a second," she said. "I was even more concentrated on what I was doing. That was the biggest lesson, to keep going and never giving up."
She isn't sure how fast she can climb the rankings again, but she's hopeful that she can get back to her top-40 ranking, or higher. Her new tattoo is a symbol of that.
"A lot of people ask me, 'What does it mean?' " she said. "I think fairies do miracles. So I'm just hoping that I will do a miracle by coming back on court and doing what I want to do and becoming the best."

esquímaux
Nov 9th, 2007, 12:18 AM
:scared: :sesil: :weirdo:

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2007, 12:19 AM
"You have to know that my penalty is the biggest one in women's tennis history," said the Sofia-born player, who besides her suspension was forced to return a record $290,000 in prize money.

Yikes!! She gave back her prizemoney. That's too big a penalty.

juki
Nov 9th, 2007, 12:22 AM
I can't wait to follow her comeback next year, it sounds like shes been working hard and heads might roll. But....

Pressed if the aborted pregnancy was still her explanation, she said, "Yeah, mostly. I had a tough puberty, really."

What is this supposed to mean? :lol:

In The Zone
Nov 9th, 2007, 02:13 AM

Exactly, well said. For Sesil, I think she needs to prove everyone what she is capable of and begin from the bottom up. I am sure she COULD receive WCs, but I would not take them. Win the 25Ks and build your ranking up. It won't be long before she is in the qualie draw and then MD of Wimbledon and the US.

akephon35695
Nov 9th, 2007, 02:56 AM
come on guy give this stubborn girl chance to get some wildcard at 10K.Like her said everybody can make a mistake especially when you are so young.I think she lost more than 400,000 atleast for 2 years banned.I still memorize that she will kick maria ass but she didn't.Is she ever trained at Nick camp?

TFan1156
Nov 9th, 2007, 05:32 AM
come on guy give this stubborn girl chance to get some wildcard at 10K.Like her said everybody can make a mistake especially when you are so young.I think she lost more than 400,000 atleast for 2 years banned.I still memorize that she will kick maria ass but she didn't.Is she ever trained at Nick camp?

Thanks. A full read of the ITF tribunal and CAS reports reveals no evidence that she consciously took drugs for performance enhancement. Several other possiblities exist for the positive, that substances were given to her by her camp without her knowledge, that it related to dietary supplements and negligence rather than a motive to "cheat," etc. But the system works in a "guilty until proven innocent" format so a positive means guilty in their eyes. Irregardless, the penalty is almost paid and now it`s back to the business of pro tennis. We will still have the jibes here and there, but she knows it and can deal with it. I`ve seen a whole lot of toughness from her, plus exceptional skill and motivation. She has signed with a management agency and begins challengers in Germany starting in January. :)

Frode
Nov 9th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Yep, according to her website she is returning on January 1, 2008.

Got a link?:)

(If it's in English:lol: )

Miranda
Nov 9th, 2007, 07:37 AM
already two years? wow, how time passes, i feel so old :tape: :lol:

Dor Y
Nov 9th, 2007, 07:41 AM
I'm looking forward to Karatantcheva's comeback. :)

http://www.sesil-karatantcheva.com/photos/sesil-121.jpg

http://www.sesil-karatantcheva.com/photos/sesil-119.jpg

WOW! She looks really good :hearts:

mboyle
Nov 9th, 2007, 08:16 AM
But the system works in a "guilty until proven innocent" format so a positive means guilty in their eyes.

Well that's Orwellian. Who designed it? Cheney? Stalin? The Chinese Communist party?

mboyle
Nov 9th, 2007, 08:17 AM
I have no doubt in my mind that Sesil will be top ten within two years.

Pasta-Na
Nov 9th, 2007, 09:05 AM
when she finds something wont be easily detected, j/k :p