PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Tennis Fans

munaz
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Hi,:)
I was watching the match between sthephanie dubois(??) and petrova and was quite shocked at the lack of crowd support she recieved from the fans considering she was canadian and playing quite well. I mean the match wasn't spectacular but it was a home player doing very well and the crowd (what was left of them) were pretty tame at best. I know that the crowd can only help so much, but in the last two sets if only the crowd got more behind her, she might have fared a little better especially against an opponent like nadia who can easily self-destruct. anyays good on her, i quite like her after this run.

any thoughts?

goldenlox
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Yeah, the fans were very good, fair to both players.

LindsayRulz
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:04 PM
It was in Toronto and Steph is a French Canadian. If it was in Montreal she would have received much more support.

cellophane
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:06 PM
I don't think there were a lot of people watching the match.

~CANUCK~
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:22 PM
It was in Toronto and Steph is a French Canadian. If it was in Montreal she would have received much more support.

I don't think it has solely to do with being French in Montreal, because the fans were going nuts for Frank last week in Montreal.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 16th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Montreal's crowd is simply better and generally more interested in tennis, if you ask me. :o

KoOlMaNsEaN
Aug 16th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Not many people in Toronto care about tennis more in quebec

Reckoner
Aug 16th, 2007, 03:18 AM
I'm actually embarrassed to watch the matches since there is barely anyone in the crowd.

stevos
Aug 16th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Montreal's crowd is simply better and generally more interested in tennis, if you ask me. :o

Agreed, Montreals crowd is amazing! :hearts:

Too many old people in Toronto I felt. Not too many of us shouting cheers for Dubois. It was much better on tuesday.

faboozadoo15
Aug 16th, 2007, 04:46 AM
It's like in the US. If the American player is uknown and playing a top seed, most fans won't even make the connection that they should be rooting for someone from their home country. People aren't very nationalistic here in individual sports.

I was actually at the US Open once and fans (as American as apple pie) were annoyed with Shaughnessy for putting up a fight against Clijsters. It was a night match, and they were anxious for the next match to begin :tape:

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 16th, 2007, 05:37 AM
It's like in the US. If the American player is uknown and playing a top seed, most fans won't even make the connection that they should be rooting for someone from their home country.
That's really not it. In Montreal, the Canadian girls get very vocal support from the crowd throughout the tournament. And the amount of support Dancevic got last week was unforgettable.