PDA

View Full Version : Can Toronto be saved?

Wiggly
Aug 15th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Maybe it's going to be called a "Drama Queen Thread".

Ok, once again, the seeds are losing, tons of retirements, withdrawals,etc.

The Canadians lost. Only Pelletier remains. Vs Jankovic.
The stadium is empty.

So can it be saved or it's going to be a huge disaster?

Bruno71
Aug 15th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I don't know...it just seems like a cursed tournament right now. Perhaps 2009's retooling will help? No idea.

pierce0415
Aug 15th, 2007, 09:56 PM
yes it will be saved with an All Chinese SF between Peng and Yan :eek:
the whole Asian population of Canada will fill the stands and witness the epic match

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 15th, 2007, 09:56 PM
start US Open Series in Canada in 2008.

Bruno71
Aug 15th, 2007, 09:57 PM
the whole Asian population of Canada will fill the stands and witness the epic match

:worship:

Conor
Aug 15th, 2007, 09:58 PM
As long as Justine is there, Toronto is safe ;) :lol:

tennisIlove09
Aug 15th, 2007, 09:59 PM
The problem is where it is on the calendar. By the time it gets to Canada, the girls have played Cincy, Stanford, San Diego and LA ... that's a lot of time to 1 - over play (Chakvetadze) 2 - get injured (Sharapova, Chakvetadze, Venus)

Players need a break before the Open starts. The Canadian should be one of the first summer events, and then it will be a much better event ...as it should be being a Tier 1, and one of the best tournaments all season [it has won the Players choice award for favorite tournament a few times now]

cellophane
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:00 PM

Can you imagine if Rogers Cup were in Vancouver? ;)

DownTheLine21
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:00 PM
I don't think the tournament can be saved this year. Aside from Henin and possibly Jankovic, there isn't a great interest in the rest of the field. Toronto really needed the Williams sisters and Sharapova this year, not to mention the actual top seeds (i.e. Ivanovic and Chakvetadze) making through their first matches.

pierce0415
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:01 PM
this tournament dosen't need saving
let the new faces take over

I love it (Peng and Yan in R16)

Thanx4nothin
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:02 PM
As long as Justine is there, Toronto is safe ;) :lol:

Although the french seem to like her, half the people working at the US Open probably still don't know her name. :rolleyes:

selyoink
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Tati can save it for me. I'm sure she won't though.

jonny84
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:05 PM
It has had so many retirements, and shocks of seeds going out early. :eek:

Max565
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Although the french seem to like her, half the people working at the US Open probably still don't know her name. :rolleyes:

True...:sad: :o

Man, this Roger's Cup is worse than last years... at least Hingis was still in... but I think it's the cursed tournament from now on, kinda like Indian Wells. :p

Bruno71
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:06 PM

They know her name...they just think it's Juhst-een Henn-inn Har-dan.

canuckfan
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:07 PM
The stadium was full on both nights, even with a terrible order of play. So the attendance is not really a concern. Most tickets were bought well in advance.

heytennis
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:10 PM
This year is still better than last year. As long as Henin stays in, they will be fine. There shouldn't be so many high tier events all in a row though. Players shouldn't have so many options. There should be one less tier two, make it a tier three and free up a week for the top players.

LindsayRulz
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:11 PM
this tournament dosen't need saving
let the new faces take over

I love it (Peng and Yan in R16)

:spit:

Max565
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:12 PM
They know her name...they just think it's Juhst-een Henn-inn Har-dan.

Yeah, you're more accurate...

Some ppl in Britain still think she's Henin-Hardenne :lol:

goldenlox
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Save it from what? This tournament is fine. It has Justine Jelena and Sveta, 3 of the USO top 4 seeds.
Plus Nadia-Patty tomoorow.

canuckfan
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Wow it looks like the same thing is happening on the ATP in Cincinnati.

#2,#4,#6,#7,#8,#11,#12,#13,#15 are all out before the third round (including Nadal and Djokovic)

Tennis is dying :help:

Willam
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Jankovic will win for sure, if she beats Henin..

goldenlox
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Jankovic will probably play Sveta in the semis. Sveta is much more accomplished. She's a USO champion.

UDACHi
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:41 PM
i'm sure justine doesn't mind all the top players bombing.

A Magicman
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:42 PM

It's not Justine's problem if the people working there are ignorant.

Ballbasher
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Peng-Kuznetsova/Golovin will save it! :D

faboozadoo15
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Wow it looks like the same thing is happening on the ATP in Cincinnati.

#2,#4,#6,#7,#8,#11,#12,#13,#15 are all out before the third round (including Nadal and Djokovic)

Tennis is dying :help:

Federer and Roddick are still alive. This tournament is fine. People in middle AMerica (or most places for that matter) don't know or give a shit about Djokovic. Nadal's early loss probably hurt the tournament.

But a final between Roddick and Federer (are they on opp sides) would make this the most successful tourmament this summer easily.

faboozadoo15
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:46 PM
This tournament has sucked terribly since the Seles, Hingis, Sanchez-Vicario, and Serena Williams days or yore.

I'm a huge tennis fan and I feel sorry for people who have tickets to this crap.

But Pierce may just be right-- A Chinese surge could spark something, and as long as Henin, Jankovic, and Svetlana keep their heads above water, the tournament should be fine.

Crank
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Maria Kirilenko the tournament left :sobbing: :crying2:

Ballbasher
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:52 PM
I think
Henin(1)-Petrova(6)
Yan(Q)-Safina(9)
Golovin(12)-Kuznetsova(3)
Razzano-Jankovic(2)

Quarter Finals would be ok :D

Willam
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Jankovic will probably play Sveta in the semis. Sveta is much more accomplished. She's a USO champion.

So? It dosent mean anything!!

I mean at this moment, im sure Jelena would beat Svetlana if they meet..

Can you see how Jelena is getting stronger and stonger with everytournament she plays??

Keep it that way Jelena (And beat Sveta :secret:)

Wayn77
Aug 15th, 2007, 10:58 PM
The stadium was full on both nights, even with a terrible order of play. So the attendance is not really a concern. Most tickets were bought well in advance.

Yes this tournament rocks, I'm loving it. Specially the night matches which have been very well attended.

Week day attendances in all the big US arenas has been poor. Same thing in Europe.

I remember two big stars: Davenport v Henin contesting the New Haven final last year, the stands were empty.

Bruno71
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:16 PM
So? It dosent mean anything!!

I mean at this moment, im sure Jelena would beat Svetlana if they meet..

Can you see how Jelena is getting stronger and stonger with everytournament she plays??

Keep it that way Jelena (And beat Sveta :secret:)

Let's let them get there first...Golovin, Peer, Razzano, Bammer (Pelletier?)...these are not walkovers by any means.

serenaforever
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:18 PM
no

Havok
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:19 PM
As long as the big names still make it deep in the draw (Henin, Jankovic, Kuznetsova, Petrova, Schnyder, Safina, Golovin) the tournament should be "fine". However, a Tier I event should not have to rely on such lower ranked players to give it an elite feel right to the end. The last time this event looked and played like a true Tier I event was in 2002. This used to be an awesome event, I hope they get it back on track for the women. Men got no problem, and neither does Montreal/Toronto for selling tickets as both places are huge draws for tennis.

doujyr
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:23 PM
so 2 of the top 8 seeds have lost and everyone's crying disaster? huh?

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:31 PM
Can Cincinnati be saved ?

Even Almagro won a match on hardcourt and Monaco :spit:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Federer and Roddick are still alive. This tournament is fine. People in middle AMerica (or most places for that matter) don't know or give a shit about Djokovic. Nadal's early loss probably hurt the tournament.

But a final between Roddick and Federer (are they on opp sides) would make this the most successful tourmament this summer easily.

Roddick sucks

Any match is interesting with him on court . A final between Federer - Roddick means Roddick worshipping Federer during the whole match

I think Cincy sucks without Nole and Rafa . People around the world are expecting to they both playing against Federer and not a guy who is 1-12 in the h2h with Federer

faboozadoo15
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Roddick sucks

Any match is interesting with him on court . A final between Federer - Roddick means Roddick worshipping Federer during the whole match

I think Cincy sucks without Nole and Rafa . People around the world are expecting to they both playing against Federer and not a guy who is 1-12 in the h2h with Federer

Well I disagree. Roddick is really solid on US hardcourts. I don't like him or anything, but the crowds do. They'll continue to show up in the states to just see if he can beat Federer. Roddick is a much bigger name in the states than Nole :tape: and even Nadal.

Roddick's match record against Federer doesn't mean anything. Are you saying British people wouldn't show up to watch Henman take on Federer in England, Australians watch Hewitt take on Feds in aus, French people watch Gasquet take on Federer in France? All these players have gotten beaten up by Federer, but people still show up to see the matches.

faboozadoo15
Aug 16th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Also-- check the full/nearly full stands watching Federer dstroy Benneteau :tape:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Aug 16th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Well I disagree. Roddick is really solid on US hardcourts. I don't like him or anything, but the crowds do. They'll continue to show up in the states to just see if he can beat Federer. Roddick is a much bigger name in the states than Nole :tape: and even Nadal.

Who cares ? :shrug:

In the world Rafa is the big name

vejh
Aug 16th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Isn't it the same story with almost all the tier 1's this yr? With the notable exception of Miami? I find that the tier 2's produced some of the best matches, and tournaments this year, and in recent years, because of a very good field.

ATP tennis gets more recognition because of much better advertising, and the true tennis-lover attendance. Peoplc crowd to see world #1 Fed because he is often recognized and hail as such. True sportrs/tennis lovers will draw to see him play. he has not particular charming skills, enither is he gorgeous, btu he draws the crowds because he can play.

Compare that to the WTA tour, and you'll see the mess.

thrust
Aug 16th, 2007, 02:06 AM
Maria was foolish to play two tournaments in a row, considering her fragile physical condition this year. Anna C has been crazy with her choices. Her coach or mother probably deserve most of the blame. Anna I, just coming back was also foolish with her choices. It is not the WTA^s fault that players are having physical problems. It is the foolish scheduling of the players that is the blame.

Chunchun
Aug 16th, 2007, 02:37 AM
Would be a lot better if a hot defending champ is in :o

faboozadoo15
Aug 16th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Who cares ? :shrug:

In the world Rafa is the big name

People in the states who watch tennis and attend tennis events care.
Rafa vs Federer is the biggest match in tennis.

Currently in the states, the second biggest match you'd want to see would be Federer vs Roddick, as he's the #1 American.

What about this is so hard to grasp?