PDA

View Full Version : Chang To Open Academy In China

Marcell
Aug 15th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Chang To Open Academy In China

Continuing his desire to nurture the growth of Chinese tennis, Michael Chang plans to open a tennis academy in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen. The 1989 French Open champion told the media in China he hopes to contribute to player development in China through his academy, which will be based in a 51-court complex at Shenzhen's Mission Hills Country Club.

"I have a wish, which is to contribute my experience accumulated from playing in world tournaments to the development of tennis in China," Chang said in comments reported by the official news agency Xinhua and published by the AP. "I believe I have the ability to do that."

Last November, Chang, who was born in Hoboken, N.J. to parents of Chinese descent, spent several weeks brushing up on his Mandarin in preparation for his work as a tennis television analyst for China's local G-Sports Channel and its coverage of the Tennis Masters Cup.

The former World No. 2 has been working with China's Peng Shuai in recent months. A three-time winner winner of the Beijing title, Chang was the Shanghai tournament champion in 1998 and enjoys a loyal fan following in China.