PDA

View Full Version : Hewitt Quits Tennis Tour!

TeeRexx
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:09 PM
For a little while at least.
---------

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) -- Wimbledon champion Lleyton Hewitt will play an Australian Rules football game instead of his reverse singles Davis Cup match against India on Sept. 22 if the Australians have clinched the best-of-five meeting going into the final day.

Davis Cup coach Wally Masur said he had no problem with Hewitt, a passionate Australian Rules fan, playing for the Adelaide Crows in the charity match if Australia wins both opening singles and the doubles match.

John Fitzgerald, Australia's non-playing Davis Cup captain, already consented to Hewitt missing the reverse singles if Australia has won.

``I'm just happy he's available,'' for Davis Cup, Masur said Wednesday, ``If it's a live tie he'll play. That's what we want him for.''

Hewitt was part of Australia's Davis Cup championship team in 1999 and played in both losing finals in 2000 and 2001. The Australians were knocked out in the first round against Argentina in February, forcing them into a Sept. 20-22 playoff against India.

A loss for Australia would mean relegation to the zonal competition.

Hewitt, ranked No. 1 in the world, won Wimbledon last Sunday in a straight sets romp over Argentina's David Nalbandian
-------
Wow! And they talk about VENUS and SERENA attending college.
Those wacky Aussies LOL :)

Lleyki
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:21 PM
OMG Teerexx!!!
Don't ever do that again!

Cilla
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Lol!! Did it really scare you Lleyki!:p Always look at who starts the threads ;)

TeeRexx
Jul 10th, 2002, 02:08 PM
This is pretty damn wacky to play football and possibly jeopordize one's primary career.

But, he is an Aussie. :)

DutchieGirl
Jul 10th, 2002, 03:15 PM
If it's a charity match, I don't think he'll be risking much! ;) That would be good to watch? But is there REALLY a match? lol I mean I didn't believe that Lleyton was quitting... coz of who started the thread... but there could be... nah... I don't think so! :p

Mazza
Jul 10th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Will Lleyton have to wera the tight shorts and vest things seeing as he'll be playing some Aussie Rules?! :p :p

SM
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:15 PM
i was too lazy to read the article, but, didnt he originally plan on a footy career?

Aloysius
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:28 PM
Yeah, he did.

TeeRexx
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:21 PM
SM - Don't be so darned lazy. :) LOL

Lisbeth
Jul 11th, 2002, 12:53 AM
How is playing Aussie Rules any more dangerous than skiing or driving fast cars or motorbikes or any of the other things players get up to?
I think good on him if he wants to pursue a wholesome interest like this. Actually it's probably not bad practice for a tennis player as it involves a lot of running, jumping and hand-eye co-ordination.