PDA

View Full Version : BOMBSHELL: Australia's Jessica Moore awarded US Open wildcard

OZTENNIS
Aug 15th, 2007, 06:22 AM
US Open wildcards for Moore & Joneshttp://www.wtaworld.com/images/taAssets/but_mail_ro.gif (http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageId=11478&HandlerId=2&archive=false&newsid=3267#)http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/images/taAssets/greyline.gifhttp://www.wtaworld.com/images/taAssets/but_print_ro.gif (http://www.tennis.com.au/pages/News.aspx?id=4&pageId=11478&HandlerId=2&archive=false&newsid=3267#)
Melbourne, Australia , 15 August 2007
Tennis Australia

Jessica Moore and Alun Jones have been awarded US Open main draw wildcards, Tennis Australia announced today.

Moore and Jones, Australian Institute of Sport athletes, will be competing in the US Open main draw for the first time.

Sixteen-year-old Moore is ranked No.29 in the world junior rankings, but is making steady progress with her senior ranking after winning her first US$10,000 ITF tournament in Ilkley, Great Britain in early August. That result, in addition to a runner-up finish at another ITF event in Davos, Switzerland two weeks earlier, has improved her WTA ranking to 629 from its mark of 980 in April.

“It's very exciting to be playing main draw at the US Open,” Moore said. “David [Taylor, AIS women's coach] told me about the wildcard just after I won in Ilkley. I was on such a high after winning my first ITF tournament and to be told that I'd been given the wildcard really topped the week off.

“I'm really looking forward to playing in New York. I'll have no pressure on me and I'll try to stick to the game I've been working on.

“The last four months have been pretty full on - travelling around Europe and competing in tournaments. Working with David has been great. He has so much experience and it's good to have a coach that you have so much confidence in.

“We've been working a lot on trying to build my forehand as a weapon and things like positive court positioning and having an aggressive mind set. I'm starting to see the results of that work in my matches and even if I lose the match, to have played the right way is more rewarding,” she said.

Moore made her Grand Slam debut earlier this year at the Australian Open when she faced No.3 seed Svetlana Kuznetsova in the first round.

Following the US Open, she will train with the AIS in Canberra for a month and then contest the Tennis Pro Circuit in Australia.

Jones, 27, has recorded a string of consistent results in Challenger tournaments over the last couple of months, achieving a career-high ranking of 123 in the world.

He won Nottingham, finished runner-up in Segovia, and reached the quarterfinals of Dublin, Manchester and Istanbul, in addition to winning a Futures tournament in Great Britain.

“Since Wimbledon I played six tournaments in a row and had some solid results,” Jones said. “Working with the AIS has been great for me this year. It's been unbelievable to travel with a coach and have that support and I'm sure it's helped my results.

“I've been working on trying to take a few more risks on the court. I used to play the percentages all the time, now I'm trying to be more aggressive and finish the points off at the net.

“I'm now ranked at 123, which is a career-high, and I'd like to thank Tennis Australia and the AIS for the wildcard, which will give me a chance to hopefully break into the top 100.

“I think the courts at the US Open will suit me. They are a bit quicker and lower bouncing so that should suit my game. The week before I'm playing qualifying in the lead up tournament (New Haven) with Chris Guccione and Peter Luczak,” he said.

Jones contested qualifying at the US Open in 2003 and 2006, but lost both times in the first round to Robin Soderling of Sweden and Denis Gremelmayr of Germany respectively.

One men's and one women's singles main draw wildcard is made available to Australian players through a reciprocal Grand Slam exchange between the United States Tennis Association and Tennis Australia.

The US Open takes place at Flushing Meadows, New York, from August 27 to September

---------------
:hearts: go Jess :woohoo:

Only 7 American wildcards now...

Pasta-Na
Aug 15th, 2007, 06:24 AM
wonder why shuai zhang needs to play USO Q draw :o

TS
Aug 15th, 2007, 06:35 AM
:o

I guess there was no one else to give it to.

Slumpsova
Aug 15th, 2007, 07:42 AM
OMFG :tape:

Brett.
Aug 15th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Well Done, Jess. You should deserve it!

Pasta-Na
Aug 15th, 2007, 07:45 AM
:o

I guess there was no one else to give it to.

how about old martina? :p

-sugi-
Aug 15th, 2007, 07:47 AM
:tape: I saw her match against Kuznetsova and she isn't that good.

Dani12
Aug 15th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Shocking! What about Christina Wheeler or Monique Adamczak? Ferguson isn't playing we know, but I wasn't expecting that at all! I guess they just want to give a young prospect a go :)

Dani12
Aug 15th, 2007, 07:50 AM

She has played much better. Not fair to judge on one match. :confused:

tennnisfannn
Aug 15th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Not to mention that playing a player as highly ranked as sveta for first time slam could not have been easy

aussie_fan
Aug 15th, 2007, 01:08 PM
There should of been a playoff but great to see jess be given a go, good luck to her.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 15th, 2007, 01:39 PM
great for Jess ;):yeah:

azza
Aug 15th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Why the hell didnt they give it to Monique? im stunned!!!! TA??? when Jess loses 1 and 0 they will no they gave the rong person the wc

martin white
Aug 15th, 2007, 03:13 PM
congrats to jessica! great oppurtuinity at gs level,i forgot tennis australia's wc deal with the usta,if i remember correctly madison brengle got a wc into the md in melbourne:) atleast it wasn't given to oliva lukasevic:tape: :haha:

Cat's Pajamas
Aug 15th, 2007, 04:18 PM
what the hell? :o

I thought Madison's WC was only because Molik was given a WC at the US Open last year. I guess the two organizations have decided to keep the trade-off. :shrug:

Wannabeknowitall
Aug 15th, 2007, 04:48 PM
what the hell? :o

I thought Madison's WC was only because Molik was given a WC at the US Open last year. I guess the two organizations have decided to keep the trade-off. :shrug:

Why wouldn't they? :devil:
Lindsay Davenport will likely need a wild card for the Australian Open.
She could easily get it on her own but just in case, this is an insurance policy.

WhatTheDeuce
Aug 15th, 2007, 06:46 PM
:weirdo: